Here is a strategy: Dont bring all of your belongings into the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
If DS is with me (most times) I can't go bag-less, but I also don't pack a safari's worth, just one backpack. Just back and it was conversation among our group (3 of the 5 had backpacks) the crazy amount of stuff folks were bringing in for a few hours, including several good sized suitcases being pulled around - like how did they get in? While I would love them to limit the type of things coming in and truly enforce it, if folks want to be drug down with their loads so be it ............ but it is aggravating at bag check for me to have my bag open and ready and be in lines with folks with six bags, none opened, and overloaded strollers.

I think they need to take the Epcot new plan and take it a step further everywhere. Bag-less lines, Stroller lines, ONE bag lines, and all other lines. Of the three parks we went to (MK 3x, DHS 1x, Epcot 1x) ... Epcot was the only park that was well run, efficient and truly checking everyone.

Last edited:
I don't care what people bring with them, as long as they get prepared before they reach security check.
I agree with this. Someone new to WDW security may not understand that all bags need to be inspected and all zippered compartments in the bags need to be unzipped. However, after a trip or two through security you would think people would know the routine, whether they have a stroller and two or three stuffed backpacks or a small cross body bag. The key is preparation.

When we went 2 years ago, we had a stroller, small cooler and a backpack. This time, we are going to see if sometimes we can go without the stroller, and have a backpack and a cooler backpack. My husband would much rather go with nothing, but I don't want to stop every 15 minutes to buy a drink, and we need some place to store the sunscreen, some babywipes, youngests inhaler, ponchos, pins for trading, camera, autograph book and etc. One day if it's just the two of us, I bet we can manage just one backpack, but as it is, it never really took more than a few minutes to get through.

Maybe let the OP vent a little? o_O

The comments dont bother me, everyone has their own opinion and can express it, just like I have done mine. I carry a bag, my daughter a back sack, my husband puts his wallet in my bag. We have our wallets, phones, camera and suncreeen. I have it opened and ready to go. Im am referring to people who literally have duffel bags and multiple large hiking backpacks that they can barely zipper that are so full of stuff they have to remove everything, then repack it. Im not talking about meds, a sweatshirt, one change of clothes, Im talking about a whole bunch of junk.

No, it wasnt people from the airport. These people were over prepared for the day with a million things.

I think the thing that bothers most people are those people who are consistently unaware. At bag check you have plenty of time to prepare yourself so you can go through as quickly as possible. We had one lady next to us 2 weeks ago who had a corkscrew in her purse. Now tell me why would anyone need a corkscrew to visit the parks!! But of course when it was found security had to ask her the questions about why she had that. But this also applies to other areas as well. QS meals ....you are in line for a long time please know what you want to order prior to getting to the cash register. Just a bit of common courtesy and awareness that is all we are asking for.

Back when the old Fastpass system was around, there were always families with multiple strollers clogging up the kiosk lines. Hey, you ALL don't need to wait on line to get your cards (pre-magic band) swiped. Just give them to ONE person and have them wait on line. You'd think this would be common sense, but no.

I can see why to bring some of that stuff -- on our second Universal day in 2015 we brought a fairly stuffed backpack when we hadn't brought anything beyond our little bags on the first day, because we both realized the second time around that we would be better off having towels, fresh shoes, and a full change of clothes on hand (when you're off-site relative to whatever park you're visiting, the "need" to bring stuff increases). Of course, it immediately got stowed in a locker once we were in; I suppose people who use strollers have the option of lugging it around all day but I've always hated the idea of carrying anything bigger than a smallish crossbody. Lucky I don't have kids, I suppose. The swim suits actually also make sense to me; if the kids want to play in a splash area everyone's going to be happier if they get changed into swim suits first and then back into dry clothes after.

My guess is that the true over-packing comes, as suggested, from families knowing they have strollers to put everything in and not being as choosy about what they carry as they might otherwise be. As long as they're prepared when they get up to the guard, though...eh. It'd be nice if more parks separated bag check lines according to whether you have a heavy-laden stroller or not, but until then we just live with the knowledge that we've either got to go bag-free or allow time to stand in line behind someone carrying six bags.

I don't think that the overpacking is strictly for families with strollers. It's simply poor planning, especially for first timers and off site guests who need more with them.
We've been taking a stroller for the last five years and only the first trip did we overpack. That was when our DD was 3 months and us being brand new parents - we brought everything but the kitchen sink. We avoided buses so we didn't have to fold the stroller and unload. But we quickly learned what was needed and what wasn't.
After that first trip we only have the basics: citi mini gt (best thing we ever got), a cooler for drinks and cold snacks, a shoulder bag or backpack to fit wipes, change of clothes, snacks, sunscreen, and diapers when she was younger. This has worked for us and we speed through the lines.

I go bagless. If I had to stand behind the unprepared huddled masses that are packed to move, it would impact my magic. Being able to just walk in is the best.

The minute someone's giant hiking backpack enters my personal space, I WILL apprise them of it. If its on your personage, please realize it and don't use it as a weapon that can literally knock others to the ground.

I also grew up in a family where my dad sent all his nutty stuff (matching shirts, sunvisors, cases of the wine they liked) down before we went places (including our multiple beach trips a year to which we drove?) and would then yell at us all to get in the car "if it's important, we'll buy it when we get there." We flew to WDW, so we bought everything there and it wasn't a big deal. Like we forgot swimsuits, pjs, all kinds of crap. I think secretly dad used all those gift shop runs to grab a drink/coffee depending on the time of day and to smoke away from us:) So while I use tons of sunscreen, if we run late to our break, I have no issue buying sunscreen, water, whatever, while in the parks.

I remember a blog post, somewhere, where there was a checklist of things to bring to the parks. It was extensive, but, of course, you weren't supposed to bring EVERYTHING on the list, just the stuff you found important. Someone didn't heed that little bit of sub-advice, and actually brought every last item off that checklist into MK. Bag check was a disaster for said person.

As such, I pack what I find important. I need glucose pills in case my blood sugar suddenly crashes and I can't get to a snack cart fast enough (I'm in line for a ride), disposable ponchos for that oddball Florida rain, some moleskin padding for the random blisters, and a couple small packets of medicine.

Last time, I had my camera backpack with me, but my next trip, I may only carry it during the actual runs, and then either drop it back off at the hotel, or just shove it into a locker after the race. Phone cameras have gotten so much better, even in those 2 years.

I've gone bagless for years - but now that I have to use an ECV I have to get in line with the strollers. Even if I still do not have a bag. It's not so much the amount of stuff as it is the utter cluelessness of some people.

Last edited:
Since we are ranting... if you decide to bring the house with you then PLEASE start unloading your strollers or opening your bags BEFORE you get to the table. It's like the XXXXX who at the airport security line who realize " darn" I need to take jacket off? and maybe remove my shoes, or maybe get my laptop out?? It never fails but you have idiots WATCHING people do this and then start when they are the last person before the body scan. I would lose half my security line waits if people would start "undressing" and unpacking a few people back from the tables in line.. same concept at Disney

Sorry but that is my RANT.

I could care less what people bring into the parks. My only complaint is the people that have backpacks and are oblivious to people standing near them. They turn to talk to someone and bam you get blindsided by a half ton pack. I count my blessings that we have reached a stage where we don't need to bring things to the parks. The best park days are the bagless days.

This year will be our first trip with no diapers and I'm so excited to be able to downgrade from the full size backpack to a smaller bag. We're also going without a stroller so whatever we bring in we'll have to carry around. My plan is to bring two drawstring backpacks and DW & I will each carry one. That should be easy for security too since it's just one compartment, and we won't over stuff them so the bag checker can see everything easily.

Although if you've been whacked more than once by a huge overstuffed backpack on a dad as he turns around, knocking you off your feet and into three other people, or rammed in the ankles by someone pushing an overstuffed, non-kid-carrying stroller, then I'd say the discussion is a little less academic. It's maybe not how much stuff that people carry (heaven knows I've carried enough stuff, as more than once I was toting around two small boys and all of their crapola), the discussion is less how much stuff do people bring, and more how considerate of other people are they as they carry it.

I agree with this. Someone new to WDW security may not understand that all bags need to be inspected and all zippered compartments in the bags need to be unzipped. However, after a trip or two through security you would think people would know the routine, whether they have a stroller and two or three stuffed backpacks or a small cross body bag. The key is preparation.

I disagree. Security check is pretty standard that all bags must be checked .... sports arenas, concerts, Six Flags, airports, etc. Most people who can travel to Disney have already experienced security lines. I think it's common sense you are going through security, they are looking in bags .... why would someone think that doesn't include them?

Last edited:
Just came back from a great WDW vacation. I normally go to the parks for a PPO breakfast, but apparently they are letting any visitor into the park early, up to a certain point, not all attractions, even without a dining reservation.

I assume this is why I never noticed before because I always get there super early and dont wait in line due to my ressie. But this time it was abundantly clear that people bring WAY to much stuff into the park. Going through security is a nightmare. There are families with 2 - 4 stuffed backpacks, people with duffel bags STUFFED. If it were some loose items that the guards could move around, that would be great, but standing in line while people have to empty their bags, then repack them, is so annoying. And the stuff I saw....you dont need 1/2 that stuff. Several changes of clothes, Bathing suits, extra shoes, blankets ?? It was 90 degrees out! Drove me crazy to see the babies covered in blankets too. That is no way to keep the sun off of them...practically suffocating.

Uggghhh.....
I totally agree. People's lives are packed into those bags and they look miserable carrying them around. People seem way worse about this on the east coast than the west coast. WDW could learn a lot from universal, their security at Universal Orlando was so much faster.

I usually carry a backpack for myself and DW. In it will be band aids, video camera, still camera, phones and chargers, meds for headaches from heat and sunscreen. ( I reapply that several times. Melanoma history will do that to ya). When I approach security check I have out all I can to make it easier for the CM and others behind me. To me it's my business what and why I carry items to the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter