Help-my TA at DU is even stumped

jiminyC_fan

DIS Veteran
Help, I need some answers in order to finalize my Oct. trip and my agent (wonderful and helpful) can't even get anyone to be able to give us a definite answer. We booked a 7 day in October. Booked our own air, arriving the night before and was going to use TTC for transportation. We were going to book our own night before airport hotel through Hotwire. But we have second thoughts on it. This last January it all worked perfect because we did WDW-DCL except for one thing. To make a long story short, Frontier Airlines does not man their counter all day long at the airport and we had to keep ALL of our luggage with us for 5 or 6 hours. That really limited us as to what we could do in that time period. SOOOO the thought of that again is making us rethink our strategy. If we purchase transfers doesn't DCL take care of your luggage at the airport after the cruise and we wouldn't have to check it in? Because we booked our own flight, DU cannot book the Hyatt for us but we can get transfers. If I book myself at the Hyatt will DCL pick up the luggage for us outside of our room the Saturday we board? Anybody ever do this? What did you end up doing? My agent thought that maybe we could hook up with the DCL reps out in the airport. How would DCL even know where to find us?? I am concerned for us and our luggage. Has this ever happened to you? Any thoughts or suggestions? THANKS

Last June I booked my own (nice and cheap) air through Southwest. We arrived about 11 pm the night before the cruise. Stayed at the Hyatt Airport. In the morning, at about 10 am, we took our luggage down to the lobby where the DCL rep was checking in folks who already had trasfers. We put the yellow tags on our bags and checked in with the rep. The trasfer cost ws charged to my on-board account. I'm pretty sure I had to rip out the little trasfer card in my documents for the charge to be made but I don't remember. A DCL valet took our luggage to the busses. We went in a group with the rep to the lines for the buses on the lower level. It was very painless and our luggage showed up on the ship at about 1 pm.
I plan on doing this again on 3/9/02!

Last June I booked my own (nice and cheap) air through Southwest. We arrived about 11 pm the night before the cruise. I made my own reservations and we stayed at the Hyatt Airport. In the morning, at about 10 am, we took our luggage down to the lobby where the DCL Rep was checking in folks who already had trasfers. We put the yellow tags on our bags and checked in with the Rep. The trasfer cost was charged to my on-board account. I'm pretty sure I had to rip out the little transfer card in my documents for the charge to be made but I don't remember. A DCL valet took our luggage to the busses. We went along with the rest of the group with the Rep to the lines for the buses on the lower level. It was very painless and our luggage showed up on the ship at about 1 pm.
I plan on doing this again on 3/9/02!

In October 2001, we stayed at the Hyatt the evening before the cruise. We told them we were with DCL when we checked in. They noted the room # & told us to leave our luggage outside our door with the DCL tags on them before 9:30 AM. A porter would pick up the luggage. They instructed us to be in the downstairs hotel lobby at 9:45AM to check in with DCL. We checked in there & took the bus to the Port. We booked our own air & purchased transfers from DCL. We got a AAA rate of $119 on the web, cheaper than what DCL was offering, so we booked the Hyatt on our own.

Call the MCO Hyatt & see if the procedure changed, as things always do. It was painless & our luggage showed up at about 1PM as well.
:)

Since you are booking your flights thru Frontier Airlines, when you debark the ship in Port Canaveral you would have to carry your luggage with you to the airport, even if on a DCL transfer. There are only a few airlines that are at the cruise terminal that transport luggage and Frontier is not one of them. Sorry.

Originally posted by jiminyC_fan

If we purchase transfers doesn't DCL take care of your luggage at the airport after the cruise and we wouldn't have to check it in?

I don't think Disney can check your bags in for you, especially with the increased security since 9/11. All they do is transport the bags with you to the airport, and then you have to actually check them in.

If I book myself at the Hyatt will DCL pick up the luggage for us outside of our room the Saturday we board?... How would DCL even know where to find us?

When you check in at the Hyatt, you identify yourself to the front desk personnel as Disney cruiser. They will give you an information sheet with everything you need to know. And they'll add you to the list of rooms from which they'll need to pick up luggage.

no more checking of luggage at the port , with any airline
gets put on the bus and u dropped at the a/p

In another thread few weeks ago, someone said four or five airlines are again checking-in baggage at the Port.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

On our Jan 19th cruise 4 airlines were taking luggage at the port. One was Northwest.

When you get off the ship your luggage is your responsibility. You have to carry it through customs out to the bus (if using disney transport) they do NOT check luggage for you on the return flight. You pick up your luggage on the dock. This is US customs, not disney.

Upon our debarkation from the Magic on 2/2, guests were able to check their baggage - at the DCL terminal - with American, Continental, Northwest or US Airways. International guests and those traveling on any other carrier were required to check their luggage at the airport. This list of airlines may have grown since our cruise. I expect Delta to be added soon.

Thanks everyone! Looks like we are STUCK with our luggage at the airport for our return trip no matter if we have transfers or not. Not what I wanted to hear. Learned my lesson now about flying Frontier.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest