Help me decide! Poly vs AKL vs BLT

disneyspinedoc

Earning My Ears
I am a newbie and really interested in buying into DVC resale.
We have two kiddos, 4 year old boy who is obsessed with thrill rides and a 19 month old boy who loves to melt down at Disney and hates stroller naps.

We live in GA so we always drive. I am looking at about 100-150 points with Aug/Sep/Oct use year. Right now since they are little, we are flexible with dates but I know we will be traveling more during peak seasons in the future. I suspect we will travel yearly to Disney when they are younger and then maybe every other year.
We recently stayed via rented points at Bay Lake (studio, standard) and it was amazing for naps with the toddler. BUT I know he won't be a toddler forever and we didn't love the theming. I also liked that the cost for the rooms per point was cheaper than Poly.

I was also thinking of Poly (we love the theme, love monorail access) but worried about buying in now with the new tower coming. Biggest concern is getting restricted out of being able to use the new towers because it would be nice to have 1/2 bedroom options in the future.

I also love AKL (love the animals, Sanaa) but its so far with higher maintenance costs. The double stroller and bus situation is painful. I know we could drive but going to MK is not ideal with having to stop and then go to TTC etc.. I know this is not forever, so if you all felt like I could get a monorail resort at 7 months at a studio I would consider.

What do you all think??

If being shut out of the tower would be a disappointment, I’d definitely hold off buying there until we have an announcement. My guess is by next summer for that..

Poly studios, though, are some of the easiest to get at 7 months right now so even not owning there, your chances are good.

I think the addition of all the resort studios at VGF will also give you a decent chance at 7 months, outside of the busy DVC time of October to mid January.

Right now, BLT gives you the best of all words as it has all room sizes, and you can stretch points if you get the SV studio which does require being an owner.

Good luck.

AKV Savannah rooms have fairly good availability at the 7 month mark. BLT should be seeing a refurbishment fairly soon - hopefully shortly after BRV is done. BLT is a bit dated right now, but could be very nice after the refurb.

Another thing to consider is the point chart. The BLT point chart is much more favourable compared to Poly and GFV. Studios for Poly should be easily available at the 7 month mark, however the points to stay in them is higher than BLT or AKV. This is the same for GFV.

Good Luck with your decision. One thing I can assure you is that whatever you choose you will likely not regret it!

We purchased 100 resale at BLT earlier this year, based on years left and maintenance fees, we also were not impressed with theme of rooms but ease of location is huge and with BLT refurb coming I’m optimistic the rooms will be very nice, we thought BLT lake view high floor were very nice views. Holding out to buy more points, hopefully direct at new Poly.

I would buy BLT because of location, location, location. Only 1 of the two within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom. A big deal during the holidays or after fireworks get out. No waiting for bus or monorail.

Also, right now, price wise, it would be the one that will go up more after the refurbishment. If the refurbishment is done correctly, the price and demand will go up.

Look at Saratoga Springs.

You would get a better rate of return on BLT.

Also, the point values are low compared to others on the monorail resort. Also the maintenance fees aren't too bad also.

I know everyone is waiting for the Poly Tower, but looking at the points comparison out there, the points there will definitely more than BLT.

We purchased 100 resale at BLT earlier this year, based on years left and maintenance fees, we also were not impressed with theme of rooms but ease of location is huge and with BLT refurb coming I’m optimistic the rooms will be very nice, we thought BLT lake view high floor were very nice views. Holding out to buy more points, hopefully direct at new Poly
If being shut out of the tower would be a disappointment, I’d definitely hold off buying there until we have an announcement. My guess is by next summer for that..

Poly studios, though, are some of the easiest to get at 7 months right now so even not owning there, your chances are good.

I think the addition of all the resort studios at VGF will also give you a decent chance at 7 months, outside of the busy DVC time of October to mid January.

Right now, BLT gives you the best of all words as it has all room sizes, and you can stretch points if you get the SV studio which does require being an owner.

Good luck.
I think you are right! I just can’t find anything! Seems like the cost is higher PP compared to the others..and I heard they are buying back a lot.

The calculus IMO comes down to are you looking to meticulously stretch your points, or are you looking to buy ‘more than you need’ and have flexibility with room size and view. If it’s the former, the SV BLT rooms are great value for a monorail resort. I like their dedicated 2BR SV rooms. Likewise for AKL value, if you can snag them.

We started out as the former but are now the latter… using our PVB points for 2BR BLT lake view next September for our trip with family. They’re relatively easy to book. And PVB is among the best economically for ‘sleep around points.’ We stay in lake view PVB studios (among the best DVC views IMO) when we stay there.

BTW, I personally see great value in upgrading room views at several resorts. Others don’t. I’m frugal, but splurging on points for a better view and one less night at Disney usually works out on cost. An extra day at Disney is typically way more expensive than the extra cost of points. YMMV.

We purchased 100 resale at BLT earlier this year, based on years left and maintenance fees, we also were not impressed with theme of rooms but ease of location is huge and with BLT refurb coming I’m optimistic the rooms will be very nice, we thought BLT lake view high floor were very nice views. Holding out to buy more points, hopefully direct at new Poly.
Would love to PM you about the process if okay?

This also brings up an interesting point with refurbishments..do they do special assessments (ie we own on the beach and HOA will charge 1x fee for specific upgrades to the building on top of HOA fees) and charge owners or is that just part of the maintenance costs? Anyone know?

This also brings up an interesting point with refurbishments..do they do special assessments (ie we own on the beach and HOA will charge 1x fee for specific upgrades to the building on top of HOA fees) and charge owners or is that just part of the maintenance costs? Anyone know?

Part of the yearly MFs have capital improvements built in which includes the refurbishments.

I believe only beach DVC properties typically have these and usually after storms to pay off a repair loan or deductible. Although technically an assessment could come at any property.

I really wouldn’t agonize too much about which resort you pick for your first DVC property. Your family’s preferences will change over time and your kiddos will grow out of strollers. Also many of us have added on at different resorts, or sold a resort to purchase a more desirable one.

It sounds like you’ll need to decide if theme is more important than location and lower dues. I will say that if you didn’t fall in love with BLT odds are it’s not the right choice for you.

There’s all sorts of Disney math that we do to justify spending what we spend for these vacations, but I’ve noticed that happiness with DVC is more correlated with the emotional responses and not the financial ones. Ex. Will you be more excited that you got the resort and room category that you wanted, or that your dues bill was $100-150 cheaper than it could have been?

They are all great choices. The 1BRs with two bathrooms are amazing and walking to MK is as easy as it gets. We started with BLT and added more over time. In hind site, we would have mixed purchases between Epcot resorts and MK. My daughter now loves Poly and Epcot is her favorite park now but with monorails and you always having a car, I would start with BLT for now and add one more. Trust me, you will want to. Also, look at what a 100 points get you and know if you plan to bank or borrow. Our first contract (which we thought was big), we now have doubled in points.

Maybe this advice is off-kilter, but hear me out. You want a small contract, you don't have points for anything but studios, and not many of those in peak season. You're nowhere near being able to book 1BRS with that many points.

That means resort choice is the most, most important consideration here. I'd actually consider BC/BW in the mix here. The 2042 chart does the work for you, so you can buy less points and buy a small contract for now. Those resorts are so desirable you can sell in a decade. Or you can sell in a couple years and take the Poly2 existing member promotion.

Yes, these points are more expensive. But this is how you're going to be walking distance to two parks peak season -- and your options are still wide open in a couple years.

For what it matters, I do think Poly2 will be restrictive. It would be really neat to buy Poly points and grandfather into it, but it doesn't match the general Disney, money-grubbing strategy right now. I'm just an internet stranger who knows nothing, so maybe Poly1 would be the best buy ever if I'm wrong.

My backup pick would be poly, for that reason. I wouldn't even consider AKL because of the transportation issue.

Maybe this advice is off-kilter, but hear me out. You want a small contract, you don't have points for anything but studios, and not many of those in peak season. You're nowhere near being able to book 1BRS with that many points.

That means resort choice is the most, most important consideration here. I'd actually consider BC/BW in the mix here. The 2042 chart does the work for you, so you can buy less points and buy a small contract for now. Those resorts are so desirable you can sell in a decade. Or you can sell in a couple years and take the Poly2 existing member promotion.

Yes, these points are more expensive. But this is how you're going to be walking distance to two parks peak season -- and your options are still wide open in a couple years.

For what it matters, I do think Poly2 will be restrictive. It would be really neat to buy Poly points and grandfather into it, but it doesn't match the general Disney, money-grubbing strategy right now. I'm just an internet stranger who knows nothing, so maybe Poly1 would be the best buy ever if I'm wrong.

My backup pick would be poly, for that reason. I wouldn't even consider AKL because of the transportation issue.
Interesting idea. I did think about Beach Club/Boardwalk but I didn’t like the expiration of 2042. The math makes it so much more expensive and I actually thought the value would be significantly lower on resale in 10 years since by that point, there would only be 9 years left. I’m tempted on poly but I think it’s probably better to just wait on that one.

I am a newbie and really interested in buying into DVC resale.
We have two kiddos, 4 year old boy who is obsessed with thrill rides and a 19 month old boy who loves to melt down at Disney and hates stroller naps.

We live in GA so we always drive. I am looking at about 100-150 points with Aug/Sep/Oct use year. Right now since they are little, we are flexible with dates but I know we will be traveling more during peak seasons in the future. I suspect we will travel yearly to Disney when they are younger and then maybe every other year.
We recently stayed via rented points at Bay Lake (studio, standard) and it was amazing for naps with the toddler. BUT I know he won't be a toddler forever and we didn't love the theming. I also liked that the cost for the rooms per point was cheaper than Poly.

I was also thinking of Poly (we love the theme, love monorail access) but worried about buying in now with the new tower coming. Biggest concern is getting restricted out of being able to use the new towers because it would be nice to have 1/2 bedroom options in the future.

I also love AKL (love the animals, Sanaa) but its so far with higher maintenance costs. The double stroller and bus situation is painful. I know we could drive but going to MK is not ideal with having to stop and then go to TTC etc.. I know this is not forever, so if you all felt like I could get a monorail resort at 7 months at a studio I would consider.

What do you all think??
I would wait for poly tower to start selling. otherwise, I would probably go for BLT if you want a monorail resort as the one bedrooms have two bathrooms and two bedrooms have three bathrooms. The downside is it has small studios. I love AKV, but you are dependent on the bus for transportation to all resorts.

I would buy BLT because of location, location, location. Only 1 of the two within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom. A big deal during the holidays or after fireworks get out. No waiting for bus or monorail.

Also, right now, price wise, it would be the one that will go up more after the refurbishment. If the refurbishment is done correctly, the price and demand will go up.

Look at Saratoga Springs.

You would get a better rate of return on BLT.

Also, the point values are low compared to others on the monorail resort. Also the maintenance fees aren't too bad also.

I know everyone is waiting for the Poly Tower, but looking at the points comparison out there, the points there will definitely more than BLT.
I agree! There’s slim pickings with BLT resale options right now

So we are newer owners (joined 2018) and our kids were just shy of 2 and 4 when we bought DVC. We own at copper creek and poly, but have used our points to stay at all of the resorts except Saratoga and OKW... we have a stay booked for Riviera this summer. Your needs/wants for Disney trips will def change over the years. You'll also most likely feel the need to add-on shortly after joining! We joined thinking we'd do 4-5 nights yearly in a studio and now we enjoy going twice a year and staying in a 1 bedroom. BLT seems like a good buy and I think is the best option for getting your "feet wet." All of the resorts you mentioned tend to have options at 7 months if you have enough points, so I don't think you can go wrong. Take time to look at the point charts and see what the 100-150 points is going to get you at both the home resort and others you might want to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter