Having trouble deciding: RPR or HRH?

newestkg06

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure which to pick:
HRH is a bit more expensive ($30 more/night), but has a pool slide, is a bit closer, and Emack and Bolio's sounds like nice and convenient place to grab a quick breakfast.
RPR has a theme that appeals to me a bit more and is a bit cheaper.
Just to give you some background, this is our first trip to Universal, staying 2 nights, and we'll have 2 boys ages 7 & 10.

Why did you choose either RPR or HRH and did you enjoy it?

The first time we went, the boys were 9 and 5 and we stayed at RPR -- the theme did appeal to me, but ultimately, I chose it because it was the least expensive. I liked it, but I wasn't in love with it.

The next time, the boys were 12 and 8 and stayed at HRH. RPR was still less expensive, but I wanted to try somewhere else. We really liked it there.

The boys are now 14 and 10 and we'll be staying at HRH again. RPR was the cheapest, followed by PBH, but we just really liked HRH. I probably would've gone with PBH because it was cheaper and like that the rooms are larger, but we're staying for a week, I really need self-service laundry, so PBH wasn't going to work.

At one point, the plan was to go in mid-June and I got a good rate at RPR for club-level for about $100 more (total for the week) than a regular room at HRH. While I was looking forward to club-level, there was a little part of me that wasn't that excited about staying there again compared to HRH. When we had to change dates to 4th of July week, that deal wasn't available, so I just switched to a regular room at HRH.

We are a big music family and we just like the vibe at HRH, but that doesn't mean that RPR isn't the right choice for you. I can tell you, that while HRH is a little closer, RPR isn't that much farther, so I probably wouldn't base a decision on that. I will say that the pool slide at HRH is a definite plus!

IF you think your boys, 7 and 10, would enjoy the waterslide, HRH is your best bet. RPR just has the water play area/ship. The last time we stayed at RPR, DS was 9 and in general is not a huge water feature kid. He's a wave pool/lazy river kind of kiddo. This year, we're trying out HRH...I figure the livelier atmosphere is better suited to his current teen status. The RPR is very tropical, and we found it to be very relaxing. All DS cared about then was "the room with all the food"....the theme of the resort didn't register with him.

With your boys, I think you're right to consider the pool first. The room size and styles aren't really all that different between HRH and RPR, and while the common areas and restaurants are in vastly different styles ... for kids it's all about that pool. The closer thing ... meh. It's not 30 bucks a night closer in my book, but to each their own. If you were thinking about kids suites ... HRH has "rock themed" rooms and RPR has Jurrasic Park themed rooms. That might be a factor too.

Other than the slide, would you say that the HRH pool is better in some way?
Was Emack and Bolio or the pool bar a factor for anyone? I have heard a few stories of people complaining that the service at the pool bar at RPR was very slow. Was that your experience too?
Jeffbeardreams, you're right that 5 min vs. 10 min walk is not much, but we're thinking the last week of August, and that may matter more then! :)

Other than the slide, would you say that the HRH pool is better in some way?

No. Not in any way. It's very shallow, so you can't actually swim in it. The only deep part is at the end of the slide, and of course you can't linger there.

I'd stay at RPR and make time to hop to HRH's pool slide (pool hopping is very much OK at Uni's resorts).

Are you going to do Volcano Bay? If so, then it may not matter too much that RPR doesn't have a slide. We really like HRH and usually stay there. We have stayed at RPR before too. Memorial Day we are staying at RPR because of it's proximity to Volcano Bay and includes EP for the parks, not water park. With it being opening weekend, I wanted to reduce the hassle somewhat:rolleyes: It was cheaper too. In late July, I got a good rate at PBH, and we've never stayed there. However, I suspect we will stick with HRH from then on, barring pricing. I can usually get pretty good annual pass rates at PBH and RPR compared to HRH.

Are you going to do Volcano Bay? If so, then it may not matter too much that RPR doesn't have a slide. We really like HRH and usually stay there. We have stayed at RPR before too. Memorial Day we are staying at RPR because of it's proximity to Volcano Bay and includes EP for the parks, not water park. With it being opening weekend, I wanted to reduce the hassle somewhat:rolleyes: It was cheaper too. In late July, I got a good rate at PBH, and we've never stayed there. However, I suspect we will stick with HRH from then on, barring pricing. I can usually get pretty good annual pass rates at PBH and RPR compared to HRH.
No, we're not doing Volcano Bay this time (we'll hit Typhoon Lagoon during the Disney portion). We're not going to have as much time at Universal (2.5 days), as at Disney (7 days), so we're going to focus pretty hard on the parks. If we had more time, pool hopping would be an option, but for only 2.5 days, I think it may be a bit of a hassle. The pool is a big deal to our boys, so I'm leaning toward HRH, but I'm curious if any RPR fans would disagree.

No, we're not doing Volcano Bay this time (we'll hit Typhoon Lagoon during the Disney portion). We're not going to have as much time at Universal (2.5 days), as at Disney (7 days), so we're going to focus pretty hard on the parks. If we had more time, pool hopping would be an option, but for only 2.5 days, I think it may be a bit of a hassle. The pool is a big deal to our boys, so I'm leaning toward HRH, but I'm curious if any RPR fans would disagree.

I think HRH is the right choice. DS11 likes their pool and the hotel in general a lot more. It's actually even closer to the parks than RPR too. I love the theming at RPR, but I like HRH better. Plus, the rooms are a little bigger at HRH. I like their pool bar drinks and food better too. They also have a sandy beach area.

If we had more time, pool hopping would be an option, but for only 2.5 days, I think it may be a bit of a hassle.

Take the swimsuits to the parks with you, and instead of going back to "your" hotel you go to the other hotel. Unless something has changed, they even have sunscreen there. Show your room key, get that, get towels, go to the bathroom and change into swimsuits. When you're done swimming, walk back to your hotel or back to the parks.

The pool being important to them, and how it relates to the onsite pools you're looking ati, depends on what they like to do in a pool. My son wants to swim. He doesn't want to splash. He liked the slide but he has never asked to go back to HRH for it, because being in a properly deep (relative to any hotel pool in Orlando, that is) pool.

Since you're only there for 2 days I wouldn't make a choice using pools.

RPR pool is excellent.........you can swim in it which you can't really at HRH pool.

We adore RP...... It has everything we need........and you can get a quick grab and go breakfast at Orchids in the morning........very inexpensive and quick breakfast.

HR is closer to Studios, but RP is closer to IOA if you're walking. Room size, there isn't a great deal in it.....again, you won't be in it for great lengths of time.

I don't think you'd be disappointed choosing RP. It's a beautiful resort. HRH is our least favourite of the 3 hotels with EP.......not sure why as it has our favourite onsite restaurant The Palm there........but it's not for us.

Good luck choosing........:)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm still not sure. I think it will come down to what kind of deal we get. Both sound really great, so I don't think we'll regret it either way.

You are so right about not making a bad choice. Yes, HRH is about 200 feet closer than RPR, but compared to WDW, that is nothing to worry about in considering.

We are in the camp that likes RPR better than HRH. The tropical vibe while in the heat of Florida is relaxing to us. The kiddie area of the RPR pool has cooled water that is sprayed from water cannons. I would say it can be loved by kids through age 12. And I go in there to let the kids spray me in the summer heat.

My teens really dislike the HRH pool. Too shallow. Boring. And if the slide is not open when you are there, you might as well hop over to Portofino.

Not trying to sway you either way, but I think the only other thing that hasn't been mentioned that I can think of is that music is pumped underwater at the Hard Rock...haven't experienced it myself yet, but if that might sway you one way or the other....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter