Has anyone with motion sickness attempted Guardians while taking meds (dramamine, bonine, etc.?)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I do think Guardians is a great ride, the coaster part is fast and fun and the music and visuals are really cool. BUT..... that dang spinning! Ugh! FWIW, I can do screen rides like Star Tours or FOP with no issue. The only screen ride I can't do is HP Forbidden Journey. The bobbing motion of the ride gets me sick.
I know they say the ride vehicles on Guardians move similar to Gringotts, but there are some big differences. First, it's A LOT faster than Gringotts and it doesn't let up most of the entire ride. The spins are also really fast and even though its smooth, there are no pauses to recenter yourself. I had to close my eyes to recenter myself quite a bit. In Gringotts, there are frequent pauses in the story where the cars are stopped to explain the story. Guardians is so fast that you can miss a lot of the story screens.
Thank you for that feedback. It just reaffirms that I should skip this one. At Universal, I cannot even enjoy Transformers or Spiderman because I am too focused on my stomach and the visual disorientation.

Hi all.

DLR vet here. Going to WDW for the first time with my kids in March.

Unfortunately, I get motion sickness from video motion rides. Examples that have made me feel sick are Soarin at DCA, Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey at Universal, The Simpsons at Universal, sometimes Star Tours? Weirdly though, nothing in real life gives me this feeling. I can read in cars and ride boats and, well, NOTHING.

Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE rollercoasters - the faster and more upside down the better. Spinny rides are fine too, like basic teacups etc. Space Mtn at DLR is my favorite ride ever created (truly thanks to the perfect soundtrack. *mwah*) Its just the video thing.

Anyway, Im already planning on passing on Soarin, FOP, MFSR, Mission:Space and maybe Star Tours, but the question I have it, can still do GOTG and Remy? I REEEEALLY want to but ive been reading that some people feel the motion sickness burn on those rides. If i needed to close my eyes for some of it, would it be pointless?

Hi all.

DLR vet here. Going to WDW for the first time with my kids in March.

Unfortunately, I get motion sickness from video motion rides. Examples that have made me feel sick are Soarin at DCA, Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey at Universal, The Simpsons at Universal, sometimes Star Tours? Weirdly though, nothing in real life gives me this feeling. I can read in cars and ride boats and, well, NOTHING.

Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE rollercoasters - the faster and more upside down the better. Spinny rides are fine too, like basic teacups etc. Space Mtn at DLR is my favorite ride ever created (truly thanks to the perfect soundtrack. *mwah*) Its just the video thing.

Anyway, Im already planning on passing on Soarin, FOP, MFSR, Mission:Space and maybe Star Tours, but the question I have it, can still do GOTG and Remy? I REEEEALLY want to but ive been reading that some people feel the motion sickness burn on those rides. If i needed to close my eyes for some of it, would it be pointless?
Your thread has been merged with a current thread discussing motion sickness. A lot of helpful information has been shared here.

It’s smoother than Big Thunder. There are no huge drops. It’s closer to Rock n Roller and Everest in intensity, and mix in flying bobs from other theme parks. There is no going upside down on GotG. This isn’t a ride for a chicken. An adventurous chicken may want to try it once.
Ok so I hate RR, Everest is OK. Hate Space. Glad to no upside down on GotG….promised DH I’d ride it with him. I think I’ll try an anti nausea pill. Don’t want the rest of my day ruined. I don’t do well with spinning and loops. I watched thé you tube video because I will likely have my eyes closed throughout the ride.

Ok so I hate RR, Everest is OK. Hate Space. Glad to no upside down on GotG….promised DH I’d ride it with him. I think I’ll try an anti nausea pill. Don’t want the rest of my day ruined. I don’t do well with spinning and loops. I watched thé you tube video because I will likely have my eyes closed throughout the ride.
I found it worse with my eyes closed and better for me if I look at the track. The backwards transition to front is probably the worst. At least it is for me. Because I couldn’t see the track. Mostly when we go to Epcot, we don’t even try for Guardians anymore. Even my dh who doesn’t get motion sickness doesn’t feel right afterwards. My 18 year old son loves it! But he loves spinning, hates hills.

I'm a fellow motion sickness victim. I sometimes even get feeling a little sick on the swings at playgrounds. I've been on Cosmic Rewind about 10 times, and I take a Bonine motion sickness table about an hour before the ride. The one pill lasts the entire day. It works like a charm for me. I just make sure I look in the direction the car is rotating, and I have felt amazing after each ride. I adore Cosmic Rewind and am so glad I've found a solution.

I'm a fellow motion sickness victim. I sometimes even get feeling a little sick on the swings at playgrounds.
This is totally me!! It’s the coasting sensation that is the worst for me (i.e., swings, waves, coming down to land on airplanes, rough drivers in cars). Fast rides that whip around don’t seem to bother me nearly as much unless they have repetitive hills that go up and down. (I was shocked to feel that on Slinky Dog last year.) However, Dramamine usually keeps the nausea at bay and limits it to the inner ear burn. Screen only rides get me when I’m not medicated (forgot to take it 1st time I rode FOP and took it too late riding Remy, bc was too distracted with rope drop chaos).

I really want to ride GOTG, because my family LOvES this franchise. And it looks amazing! But I’m afraid of it ruining my day.

Your message gives me a semblance of hope…

We were all worried about riding this (didn’t help that the rest of the gang did mission space just prior to our GotG time) my DH hates any coaster bigger than BTMRR and screens make him nauseated. He did OK but it’s one and done for him. I was skeptical about the “spinning” which it does NOT do. It turns you but it is so smooth and in a way that makes the ride better. To me it put the intensity of RnR without the loops, the darkness of Space without the jerkiness, the awesome backwards motion from EE, and added some VR from Avatar mixed it all up and got this ride. Not one person in our party got sick, and only some light nausea from a couple that only lasted 1/2 hour or so.

We were all worried about riding this (didn’t help that the rest of the gang did mission space just prior to our GotG time) my DH hates any coaster bigger than BTMRR and screens make him nauseated. He did OK but it’s one and done for him. I was skeptical about the “spinning” which it does NOT do. It turns you but it is so smooth and in a way that makes the ride better. To me it put the intensity of RnR without the loops, the darkness of Space without the jerkiness, the awesome backwards motion from EE, and added some VR from Avatar mixed it all up and got this ride. Not one person in our party got sick, and only some light nausea from a couple that only lasted 1/2 hour or so.
It doesn’t make repeated or fast spins, but does make complete or almost complete spins/rotations at a time.
This video from the Disney Parks Blog shows imagineers riding part of the track outside before the ride was completed

Last edited:
I am thrilled for those who overcame any combination of fear and motion sickness to fall in love with GOTG, but thought it was worth adding my 2c (and information we learned from a recent trip with grandma): I do not get motion sickness on any coaster or any of the virtual reality type rides (occasionally I feel the mildest nausea on Pandora or Star Tours, but I can do mission space and love Tron, Everest, RnR etc.), but I *always* think I’m about to puke for the backwards launch of GOTG and then as soon as we turn forward it’s the best coaster I’ve ever been on. My daughter, who is prone to most kinds of motion sickness, but not coasters, also adores it. A few weeks ago, I would have said that everyone should try it—but then we took grandma, who (as planned) got out of line at the “chicken exit” and waited for us for the final 5m of the queue, where the ride unloads. She told us she saw 3 people puke in the 5-10m we were separated. Evidently Disney had a whole process (pit crew?) to quickly clean up the mess and move people along.

I debated posting because I don’t want to be a downer, but I think it’s good to be aware that it is a ride that can (and evidently does!) make people sick— I personally am tempting fate every time on those first 30 seconds, but I think it’s worth it and even if I did hurl, I wouldn’t consider it to have ruined my day. To paraphrase Olaf, “Some [rides] are worth [puking] for.”

A few weeks ago, I would have said that everyone should try it—but then we took grandma, who (as planned) got out of line at the “chicken exit” and waited for us for the final 5m of the queue, where the ride unloads. She told us she saw 3 people puke in the 5-10m we were separated. Evidently Disney had a whole process (pit crew?) to quickly clean up the mess and move people along.

I debated posting because I don’t want to be a downer, but I think it’s good to be aware that it is a ride that can (and evidently does!) make people sick— I personally am tempting fate every time on those first 30 seconds, but I think it’s worth it and even if I did hurl, I wouldn’t consider it to have ruined my day. To paraphrase Olaf, “Some [rides] are worth [puking] for.”
This!
Within a short time of opening (actually, I believe still on previews), motion sickness bags, extra trash bags and a ‘clean up crew’ were added to the ride.
In different places, I’ve seen pretty consistent surveys where around 1/3 of those responding reported feeling sick. Around 10-15% of the respondents reported actually puking.
I was personally fine the first 45 seconds; after that it was a constant struggle to avoid actually throwing up.
I have not gotten sick feeling on any other rides and was not expecting it

I take Bonine in the morning and depending on what time my ILL is for, I’ll take it an hour before the ride as well. I also use a Relief Band with the zap turned up all the way.

I’m able to do GotG this way. I also close my eyes for the big banked turn toward the end. It helps me that it’s cold in the building and you’re going so fast you don’t really have time to notice a ton of things which is why I reride!

I usually feel a little “wonky” after, but nothing a quick soda or cold water and short sit down doesn’t take care of.

I CANNOT do Millenium Falcon, Everest, Space Mountain, Star Tours, or Forbidden Journey. RnRC I can do once with the same prep as above.

There are so many things I can't do (I haven't tried Guardians of the Galaxy) but I get my prescription of the Scopolamine patches before my trips and am able to do a lot more. Star tours was still a no though but that's the only one...

I'm sure this has been answered already, but my hubby to dramamine the night before and that morning (i think it was 2-3 hrs prior to riding?) and he was absolutely fine :). I'm lucky and dont have those issues

I am thrilled for those who overcame any combination of fear and motion sickness to fall in love with GOTG, but thought it was worth adding my 2c (and information we learned from a recent trip with grandma): I do not get motion sickness on any coaster or any of the virtual reality type rides (occasionally I feel the mildest nausea on Pandora or Star Tours, but I can do mission space and love Tron, Everest, RnR etc.), but I *always* think I’m about to puke for the backwards launch of GOTG and then as soon as we turn forward it’s the best coaster I’ve ever been on. My daughter, who is prone to most kinds of motion sickness, but not coasters, also adores it. A few weeks ago, I would have said that everyone should try it—but then we took grandma, who (as planned) got out of line at the “chicken exit” and waited for us for the final 5m of the queue, where the ride unloads. She told us she saw 3 people puke in the 5-10m we were separated. Evidently Disney had a whole process (pit crew?) to quickly clean up the mess and move people along.

But also.. its epcot. I've seen drunkards hurling in random counties too HAHAHA!

Went solo last September and was determined to do GOTG but suffering from motion sickness/screen based rides/spinning, was apprehensive especially being on my own. I took Kwells (UK) and wore motion sickness patches from Amazon behind my ears. Did Remi first thinking that would be easier but did not feel too good after. Trouped up to Guardians thinking the worst may happen. No! I was absolutely fine. Went on another 3 times during the holiday with patches and Kwells, with no issues whatsoever.
I’ve never even done Dumbo although each time I promise myself I will!

I've seen a lot of postings about motion sickness, but that's not what bothered me about GOTG.

I can do any ride at WDW without a problem. I'm not a fan of TOT, but DD15 asked me to do it again recently and I did without any problems. Just not an attraction I enjoy.

I will not ride Forbidden Journey ever again. That ride messed with my head. I didn't have nausea; I just didn't like how disoriented I felt. That's what bothered me about GOTG.

I've wondered if Bonine would help, but I'm not sure. I wasn't nauseous at all. I was so disoriented that I had to close my eyes to get through the ride. Has anyone else felt this way? It was like my brain was shouting "What the...?" the entire time. When I got off I swore I'd never try it again. Everyone in my family loved it, however, and I want to love it too.

Just wanted to add my experience. I get really bad motion sickness and feel it even with bonine on FOP (which I skipped this past trip), smugglers run, Soaring, Star Tours (which I also skip now), etc. I won't even attempt things like Mission Space or Tea cups. At Universal I nearly lost it on the Simpson's ride and the one in the castle. I weirdly don't seem to have a problem with GOTG. I've ridden it five times now, the last two with no bonine, the first time I was definitely a little shaky getting off but was fine during the actual ride, but this last trip I had no issues with it at all.

I've seen a lot of postings about motion sickness, but that's not what bothered me about GOTG.

I can do any ride at WDW without a problem. I'm not a fan of TOT, but DD15 asked me to do it again recently and I did without any problems. Just not an attraction I enjoy.

I will not ride Forbidden Journey ever again. That ride messed with my head. I didn't have nausea; I just didn't like how disoriented I felt. That's what bothered me about GOTG.

I've wondered if Bonine would help, but I'm not sure. I wasn't nauseous at all. I was so disoriented that I had to close my eyes to get through the ride. Has anyone else felt this way? It was like my brain was shouting "What the...?" the entire time. When I got off I swore I'd never try it again. Everyone in my family loved it, however, and I want to love it too.

Yep, same. I have a problem with most virtual screen rides, such as FOP. It’s not nausea but vertigo, dizziness etc. I don’t do major coasters either, for the same reason. I did try GOTG in October when I was there. Took Bonine . I purposely kept my eyes from looking at the screen and tried to look at the track. But even so I was miserable. Had to sit down on a bench outside for about 20 minutes before I felt better. So it’s a one and done for me unfortunately!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter