Has anyone with motion sickness attempted Guardians while taking meds (dramamine, bonine, etc.?)

I tried it two weeks ago for the first time. I was really on the fence about it as I don’t do large coasters (i.e. no RNR, no Everest, nor space Mountain). My issue is more vertigo related which seems to have creeped up on me in my early 60s. I can’t do FOP , Mission Space at all) However I can do Thunder Mountain, Slinky dog Dash, and for some reason Soarin is fine.

I was visiting with a friend and she really wanted to do GOTG, and I really wanted to give it a try. I read tips about where to sit (front or middle) , took Bonnie a couple hours before, and only watched the track, not the screens. I have to say it was REALLY difficult for me. Couldn’t enjoy it at all unfortunately.

I felt unsteady when I got off and had to sit on a bench outside for about 20 minutes after coming down the stairs due to dizziness. Took about an hour to get my appetite back. I was just glad it didn’t throw me off for the entire day as some have reported. Unfortunately it’s a one and done for me!

I tried it two weeks ago for the first time. I was really on the fence about it as I don’t do large coasters (i.e. no RNR, no Everest, nor space Mountain). My issue is more vertigo related which seems to have creeped up on me in my early 60s. I can’t do FOP , Mission Space at all) However I can do Thunder Mountain, Slinky dog Dash, and for some reason Soarin is fine.

I was visiting with a friend and she really wanted to do GOTG, and I really wanted to give it a try. I read tips about where to sit (front or middle) , took Bonnie a couple hours before, and only watched the track, not the screens. I have to say it was REALLY difficult for me. Couldn’t enjoy it at all unfortunately.

I felt unsteady when I got off and had to sit on a bench outside for about 20 minutes after coming down the stairs due to dizziness. Took about an hour to get my appetite back. I was just glad it didn’t throw me off for the entire day as some have reported. Unfortunately it’s a one and done for me!
Cheers to you for giving it a try! Sometimes you have to experience something to know its really not for you.

I have given up riding Everest because it gets to me (motion sickness). Guardians caused less motion sickness than that. I went prepared with Bonine, dramamine and ginger chews. I only used the ginger chews and didn’t feel anything other than very mild sickness. It is an AMAZING ride and so worth the risk. I rode it twice on our trip.

I liked Guardian a lot, but it is extremely intense....when they say do not eat before, they mean it....I didn’t, but my stomach still did mild flip flops. This is not a ride I could do more than once or twice on a trip, but then I was trying not to keep myself straight so as not to trigger my vertigo, lol

I’ll be honest, I much preferred Pandora...I’m still dreaming of that; best ride ever, no question.

I’m not going to even try Rock and Roller Coaster....I did Everest today (have done it before), and loved it again. Big Thunder is awesome- one of my very favorite rides. Interestingly, I found Dino much rougher than I remembered ...I won’t do it again

Can anyone compare this to Incredicoaster at DL? I just did this ride again over the summer and it caused me to feel a little off for the rest of the day. I don't have any issues with any of the DW rides but I am not sure I want to risk doing Guardians.

I took two Dramamine before riding this and still got very sick. I was dizzy for a day after. Space mountain makes me have to lay down for a bit, but I don’t even take medicine for that.

I just did it twice in the same day a few days ago. I can't do Star Tours or Teacups. I get motion sickness pretty easily and get vertigo often. I take Bonine on the way to the park each morning. We had boarding group 7 so were on it about 9:15am, didn't eat before, got off feeling completely fine. We were in row 7 and I looked straight ahead the whole time head back to avoid looking around.

Second time we did the extended evening boarding group and rode about 9:30pm. We had eaten dinner at about 5:30pm and then dessert about 8:15pm and were drinking around the world all day. We were in the front row and it seemed way faster and more intense. Did the same technique of head back and straight ahead. Got off feeling a little dizzy. Not crazy bad like it would ruin my day but definitely was feeling it at the end. Everyone else in my group said they felt the same thing, way easier in the morning than at night because they felt a difference.

Full disclosure, I’m someone who can get seasick on a lake.

Guardians kicked my you-know-what. It was awful.

Fortunately, we rode it near the end of the night, but it took me down for several hours. And this was being loaded up on meclazine (which works wonders for me otherwise), ginger pills, sitting in the middle, and keeping my head straight. On the plus side, I got to hear all the different songs, several times, sitting on the bench trying to get my stomach back in line. 😜

I like Gringotts at Universal, which looks like a similar concept, however Guardians looks much more intense. Also, I get motion sickness kinda easily. I always have to take Meclizine when I go to Universal. Would this be too much for me?

I like Gringotts at Universal, which looks like a similar concept, however Guardians looks much more intense. Also, I get motion sickness kinda easily. I always have to take Meclizine when I go to Universal. Would this be too much for me?
There are many threads about motion sickness and Guardians. I have merged you with a recent one but there are many others on the board too if you use the search function.

I can ride most roller coasters with no problem, but spinning rides make me sick. I do not ride mission space or the teacups, ever. Once on those was enough for me to know I cannot ride them without ruining my day. I prefer to not ride Astro Orbiter. Simulator type rides often make me sick, but not always. The first time I rode Avatar I felt terrible afterwards, but I've done it since and been okay. I close my eyes when I start to feel off. I would not be able to do that on Mission Space because it isn't just a simulator but also moving. If I closed my eyes I'd throw up for sure.

I take two meclizine per day while at Disney, one before bed and one in the morning. I was able to ride Guardians with only mild queasiness afterwards. After 15 minutes of fresh air I felt fine. I rode twice on our trip (two different days). I don't think I would want to ride twice in one day unless the rides were separated by at least several hours. I didn't get to see everything that happened on the screens because I tried to keep my head straight most of the time, facing forwards. Had I looked around I would have been sick. I thought it was fun. I really liked the music. I wish I could have looked around and really taken in everything that was going on, but I'm glad I got to experience it and I'd definitely do it again.

First time, dramamine, pressure wristbands, ginger pills and gum. Did not seem to work at all. Second time, she looked straight ahead no looking around. She said that made it better but a little queasy.

Attachments

• 20220729_121346.jpg
    20220729_121346.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 10
I had a scopalamine patch and my 11 year old took Dramamine. We sat in the front row and both felt fine afterwards. No way either of us would have made it without our meds.

I get motion sickness from spinning rides, so like a pp, I can't do mission space, teacups, astro orbiter, etc. I can do Gringotts, which is my favorite of the HP rides, but Guardians REALLY did me in! Roller coasters do not make me sick and I can generally ride them with no issue. But the way the individual cars on Guardians move triggers motion sickness for me. I have not tried it with meds yet though. I'm honestly really leery of even trying it again.

I get motion sickness from spinning rides, so like a pp, I can't do mission space, teacups, astro orbiter, etc. I can do Gringotts, which is my favorite of the HP rides, but Guardians REALLY did me in! Roller coasters do not make me sick and I can generally ride them with no issue. But the way the individual cars on Guardians move triggers motion sickness for me. I have not tried it with meds yet though. I'm honestly really leery of even trying it again.
You’re brave! I’m too scared to ride it without my Bonine 😆 (which makes it fine but like heck I’m ever getting on it without it!)

You’re brave! I’m too scared to ride it without my Bonine 😆 (which makes it fine but like heck I’m ever getting on it without it!)
😆 I wouldn't say "brave"..... more like I didn't prepare for it! I don't like ride spoilers so I didn't watch any videos or read much about it. It's advertised as a coaster, and I like roller coasters. If I knew just how intense the spinning was ahead of time, I wouldn't have done it or prepared with some type of meds. That's on me, and I'm happy I did ride it. I just need to figure out a way to ride it again without that awful motion sickness.

Thanks for that. This settles it for me. I am going to give it a hard pass.

I have to sit in the middle in Star Tours and with Meclizine. Teacups are a no-no. Same for Mission Space & Astro Orbiter. At Universal I cannot do the the Alien Ride outside of Simpsons, the Simpsons ride or Minions.

Thanks for that. This settles it for me. I am going to give it a hard pass.

I have to sit in the middle in Star Tours and with Meclizine. Teacups are a no-no. Same for Mission Space & Astro Orbiter. At Universal I cannot do the the Alien Ride outside of Simpsons, the Simpsons ride or Minions.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I do think Guardians is a great ride, the coaster part is fast and fun and the music and visuals are really cool. BUT..... that dang spinning! Ugh! FWIW, I can do screen rides like Star Tours or FOP with no issue. The only screen ride I can't do is HP Forbidden Journey. The bobbing motion of the ride gets me sick.
I know they say the ride vehicles on Guardians move similar to Gringotts, but there are some big differences. First, it's A LOT faster than Gringotts and it doesn't let up most of the entire ride. The spins are also really fast and even though its smooth, there are no pauses to recenter yourself. I had to close my eyes to recenter myself quite a bit. In Gringotts, there are frequent pauses in the story where the cars are stopped to explain the story. Guardians is so fast that you can miss a lot of the story screens.

First ride during previews: Took Dramamine, rode wherever they placed me (I think it was towards the back although not the last car), focused on track more than action as I thought that would help, spent the last 10-15 seconds of the ride desperately trying not to puke, felt fine within 15 minutes of getting off. Swore never to ride again.
Second ride last month: Took Dramamine, requested front row, tried to focus on action and not watch track, was slightly queasy (but I think that was more to worrying about getting sick than actually feeling sick) but did not feel like I was going to puke at all. Will ride again, but it won't be an every trip kind of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter