has anyone tried an "afternoon break" in a resort lobby???

wdwpracticalprincess

Mouseketeer
Hi o sage DISers!

Wondering if anyone has tried an "afternoon break" in one of the monorail resorts (or WL) lobbies during a looong day at MK?

We are off-site and it's not practical for us to leave the bubble and try to get back.

Trying for RD (me, DH, DD8.5) but would also like to catch the evening shows. Is catching a drink/snack/snooze on one of those comfy-looking couches do-able or frowned upon? Thanks for the input!

There are lots of comfy couches on the 4th floor area of Contemp. It's always really quiet up there in the afternoons and I'll go there while waiting for my CM friend to finish a shift. The only people you will see are others who are also taking a break.

There are also lots of quiet places between the Contemp lobby and the Convention Center area.

My parents stayed at Grand Floridian last time we traveled together and we were at Pop. Once, we ate at the quick service place at GF and I was so happy with the relative quiet of that area compared to the overstimulation of the parks! I'd definitely recommend taking the boat over there, wandering the resort, and enjoying some of the plentiful seating while enjoying a cold beverage!

I've done it MANY times.

I am a tour director for groups, so I visit often. When it's hot, and I want a break from the crowds, I hop over to the Contemporary from the MK or to the Boardwalk or Beach Club from Epcot. As the PP suggested, there are many comfy, quiet nooks at the CR. The wifi is good, so sometimes I load pics on my iPad and post to social media for my groups. I usually buy a cold drink or snack while there.

When I'm park hopping, I'll usually make a detour through a resort. Get a mug fill or two on my way to my next stop. Spend a few minutes chilling and finishing the first mug so I can get a refill before continuing on my way.

I think the traveling out of the park - whether by extra walking, monorail, boat, etc, and to the resort is more exhausting than just doing a sit down restaurant in the actual park for an hour or so. It's what we usually do, anyway. Ask for a booth, enjoy the ac, even extend your meal by ordering drinks, apps, dessert, and relax.

This is great! I was hoping that it'd be ok for DD to be "horizontal" for a bit somewhere comfortable. Trying not to burn her (or us) out on the very first day. I feel making it to the evening shows is actually a possibility now! Thanks everyone for your advice so far!!! Thanks Hiro for the specific location to try at CR! You are awesome!

I like the Poly. You can stop and get a dole whip at the Pineapple Lanai or a snack from Capt Cook's or Samoa Snacks. The Kona bar, not the restaurant, has sushi and coffee drinks. Adults can get a tasty beverage at Tambu Tambu or Trader Sam's after 4pm. The grounds are really pretty too. It's easy to get to either MK or Epcot. It's right on an MK route. To get to Epcot, just walk over to the TTC to catch the monorail instead of catching 2 monorails.

We do it all the time. We like to grab a soda & just sit at either CR or WL just to cool off for an hour & recharge ourselves before heading back to the MK. Thee are some nice chairs right by the food court in the Contempoary & the couches at Wilderness Lodge right outside of Wispering Canyon Cafe are very comfy.

In the old days I enjoyed taking a break in the lobby at the Poly because the ambiance was so nice for sleeping and I could wash my socks out in the fountain before my nap. (Refreshing!) I don't know what I'm going to do on the next trip. I'm not technically banned from the GF, but with all those CM restraining orders I might as well be. The couches at the Contemporary sound intriguing...

I've not personally done this, but I would ditto wandering down to the convention center area of the Contemporary if you want a nice quiet break with couches. I had to run down there to pick up a delivery and I was shocked at how quiet it was...after the hustle and bustle of the parks and the Contemporary lobby, it was shockingly quiet. Like funeral home quiet. I assume it will be busier if there's a big convention and conventioneers are on a break between sessions, but with the amount of space they have, I think it'd be easy to carve out a quiet corner.

We went to the Contemporary quick service for lunch one day, for break from the parks, and it was nice. We've also enjoyed visiting the resorts that are easy to get to from the parks. We had a great late lunch at Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge on a non-park day, and strolling around some of the other resorts as well. I think if you want some quieter places to just relax a bit, it would be fine. All out snoring, though, is likely frowned upon. :)

Admittedly my family always does onsite but I imagine it would be incredibly easy to lounge at the Contemporary or Polynesian. Fun places that are truly unique. Grand Floridian is a little boring imo

The only people you will see are others who are also taking a break.
8ce18.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!