has anyone tried an "afternoon break" in a resort lobby???

I think this is one of the downsides of staying at a Deluxe Resort.

The Deluxe Resorts (monorail, Epcot, AKL and WL maybe to a lesser extent) are sort of attractions in and of themselves. The lobbies can be crowded with visitors and people coming for ADRs, etc.

This is actually one of things that has made moving to offsite easier and easier for us. We realize we can just go visit the Deluxes, eat there, walk around, see whatever we want to see and leave, without paying the Deluxe prices.

We don't feel a need to stay there as much anymore, and although we do miss the proximity to the parks, we don't miss the crowded, busy lobbies.

That being said, I would totally go chill in one if I felt like it (no napping though lol)

Last edited:
I think it's quite elitist to infer that guests not staying at a particular resort are riff raff that shouldn't be allowed in. If the hotels were intended to be that restrictive, guests would only be allowed to dine at their own resorts.

With some of our free time on our trip we plan to resort hop and see some of the resorts we haven't visited or that our son doesn't remember. I think everyone staying at those resorts will survive the intrusion.

You certainly can!.. I have not done this personally as I normally arrive to the parks in the early afternoon and stay until close, however, I used to be a WDW Resort CM and we always considered the resort public areas a space open to EVERYONE, no one is ever questioned, in fact, as stated by a PP this is encouraged by Disney..

As far as which ones, the Contemporary is a great resort to do this as it has very large indoor (air conditioned) public areas and so many quiet/comfy seating areas.. I really enjoy browsing through some of the gift shops on the concourse level (below monorails)..

IMHO, just remember to keep an eye on your time as sometimes there is an early evening rush to get back into the park, especially at MK before the nighttime shows.. If you have any ADRs, afternoon FP+, or plan on seeing the evening shows make sure you factor time to getting back to the park and into the park so you don't find yourself running late for something..

Have Fun!!

http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/07/03/the-art-of-the-walt-disney-world-nap/

Above are some ideas. Personally, with my children at that age, we tended to relax in the more conventional way by taking in dark shows, having extended lunch and snack breaks, etc. I don't think I would let my child nap in the lobby of a random hotel in NYC, so perhaps not at a Disney hotel lobby either. It is really a question of "can" versus "should". People are encouraged to visit the different hotels and walk around and spend money.

Guests are invited to enjoy the resorts at ALL WDW resorts.

I doubt anyone can argue with that. Hopefully we can all agree that visiting and enjoying the common areas of any resort is perfectly fine. But using resort like it is your living room at home, with you and your family stretched out on the couches with your shoes and socks off, taking naps is NOT what Disney has in mind when they encourage non guests to visit the resorts. Remember - it is a hotel, not a bus station. (not to infer that the OP had that in mind, I'm sure they don't).

Basically, come visit, eat, drink, be merry. Sit down in the lobby and read the paper, catch up on emails, play cards on the coffee table, whatever. Just remember to treat it like you are a guest in someone's home. I can't imagine that any reasonable person can argue with that.

When we need a break, we usually cut away to AKL, FW, or WL.

AKL - my kids love to just sit and veg watching the cartoons in the lobby. DH and I pull a chair (well, now, a bench,,,sigh...) up the fire pit and chill for a long while. Usually about 30 minutes.

WL - we sit in the lobby for a while, in those big chairs. People watching, soaking up the A/C, enjoying the atmosphere. Then, we head to the pool bar, grab a few cold ones, and hit the beach. Tetherball and jungle gym for the kids. I will be sad with the beach going away due to DVC.

FW - walk the grounds, rock in the chairs on the porch, then grab a few cold ones and hit a picnic table while the kids play on the jungle gym. Afterwards, beach for tetherball and more relaxing.

Absolutely love it!!! Best parts of WDW, these days.. nothing to schedule, nothing to stand in line for, etc.

I don't think the lobby of any hotel is meant for napping, regardless of whether you are a guest there or not. Most people wouldn't object to see a small child napping while his parents sat in the lobby but I don't think adults should use a lobby as their bedroom. If you really need a nap, how about bringing a beach towel and take a nap on the beach at the hotel?

Fellow Disers if you think post is out of line. Please report it don.t quote it in your reply. Because if I take action like delete post. T then have to delete your post, because deleted post is now part of your post.Thus making your post in violation of posting guide lines. So please use report button and I or my fellow mod will take action and you will receive notice of what action was taken , even if your report is rejected. You will know why. Danny

Last edited:
When I did my solo trip I went over to the Poly one afternoon and got a longboard beer at the pool bar. Took it over to the dock and sat awhile watching the little shuttle boats come and go.... it was really nice and relaxing. Glad we get to stay there in October! :)

Admittedly my family always does onsite but I imagine it would be incredibly easy to lounge at the Contemporary or Polynesian. Fun places that are truly unique. Grand Floridian is a little boring imo

Not boring to us at all. At the Grand Floridian, we like listening to the piano player or the orchestra: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/e...-spa/grand-floridian-lobby-society-orchestra/

It is fun to see the wedding parties getting their pictures taken. And at Christmas time, the gingerbread house is fun to smell and see.

I think it's quite elitist to infer that guests not staying at a particular resort are riff raff that shouldn't be allowed in. If the hotels were intended to be that restrictive, guests would only be allowed to dine at their own resorts.

With some of our free time on our trip we plan to resort hop and see some of the resorts we haven't visited or that our son doesn't remember. I think everyone staying at those resorts will survive the intrusion.

I don't see any guest as riff raff. However, it is exceedingly tacky to take a nap in a resort's lobby, guest of that resort or not. Relax at another resort, fine. Take a nap in the lobby, not fine.

I haven't but that sounds amazing. I love the smell of BC. I think the rocking chairs at the top of Boardwalk look like a comfy place for a break. :)

They are. Last May we were staying there, my DS and DIL are late sleepers, me not so much and we were sharing a Studio. I would get up go get something to eat at the bakery and take that a cup of coffee and just sit in those chairs and watch the place wake up. It was really nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter