• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has Anyone Taken a Child With Autism to WDW?

My dd is 9 and we will be going again this summer for the 3rd time. if you can get you son to watch some of the rides on youtube so that he can know what to expect. There were a lot of rides that DD would not ride the first time when she was 4years old but before we went the next time when she was 7 we had her watch ones that gave her anxiety and after she say what they were like and how dark they got she did a lot better. Also like all the others taking longer breaks and making sure she doesn't get overheated helps so much. DD really like trading pins with the cast members and also liked getting pictures and autographs. I also agree with having a ipod, kindle, hand held gameing device for waiting. We have used the pass they provide for special needs and that really helps. I think the hardest part for my husband and I is not getting disappointed when she won't do something that we know that she will like.

We took our 5yo and 8yo (ages then) Ds's last year. Our youngest has ASD and found that hitting the parks early helped tremendously as they were much quieter and easier to navigate as he gets very unsettled in noisy, crowded places (but loves Disney!)

We picked up a GAC - although felt odd using it initially as our DS' ASD is quite "invisible" until triggered, but once it goes, you (and everyone else nearby) knows about it as he can have quite violent outbursts with people nearby.

We also found that using a combination of fast passes and the GAC also meant we were able to hit rides quickly while allowing a LOT more time to cool down away from the crowds in quieter spots

Obviously every child with ASD / Autism / complex neuro disorders is different and have different triggers, but the main thing was taking lots of time (much slower than we'd ever done Disney before) and avoiding the situations that could trigger him and not being afraid to call it a day, hop on a bus and change location / head back to the pool / try a different park.

Definitely pick up a GAC though - a lifesaver in so many respects! Above all, relax and enjoy your holiday!

I wish earplugs were an option for us. But my little darling had ear tubes (still does) and cannot get soapy water in his ears at all! So he has to have earplugs to wash his hair, which he detests, so he has a very negative connotation for earplugs.

Again, your mileage may vary, but if I may make a slight recommendation - the ear-cup headphones they make nowadays can be a good compromise. When there's no sound coming through the headphones, the world isn't silent but is comfortably muted. Besides, walking around with sunglasses and headphones on may *really* be to cut down on sensory input, but everyone else just thinks we look cool :cool1:

Also, you might want to google "disney parks background music" and get them used to what they'll be hearing in the background - it's everywhere, and most people take it for granted. The more sound coming in at once the harder it gets to process it, so any familiarity with what will be around in each different "land" can be a big relief. It's also another element of discovery and control for your sons to have over their part of the trip - "Listen to the music! Can you tell me where we are now?"

We also have twins (one autistic, one not), the first time we took them to Disney they were six years old. Our son did not want to go on any of the rides, all he wanted was to watch them. He had the best time watching SM, standing on the bridge watching the flume come down then racing over to the other side of the bridge and watching it come out the other side. The joy on his face was priceless. Eventhough we had a GAC, we basicly did kid swap during our trip. Now they are ten (this is our fourth time)and they both go on every ride. Was it a little frustrating the first time, yes, but seeing the look on both their faces was worth it. Sometimes our son does not want to do the activity that everyone else is doing, all he wants is to feel like he is included, that he is not being left behind.

We also have twins (one autistic, one not), the first time we took them to Disney they were six years old. Our son did not want to go on any of the rides, all he wanted was to watch them. He had the best time watching SM, standing on the bridge watching the flume come down then racing over to the other side of the bridge and watching it come out the other side. The joy on his face was priceless. Eventhough we had a GAC, we basicly did kid swap during our trip. Now they are ten (this is our fourth time)and they both go on every ride. Was it a little frustrating the first time, yes, but seeing the look on both their faces was worth it. Sometimes our son does not want to do the activity that everyone else is doing, all he wants is to feel like he is included, that he is not being left behind.
Don't remember if this was mentioned yet, but the GAC being talked about is a Guest Assistance Card and post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is all about GACs.
You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

Again, your mileage may vary, but if I may make a slight recommendation - the ear-cup headphones they make nowadays can be a good compromise. When there's no sound coming through the headphones, the world isn't silent but is comfortably muted. Besides, walking around with sunglasses and headphones on may *really* be to cut down on sensory input, but everyone else just thinks we look cool :cool1:

Also, you might want to google "disney parks background music" and get them used to what they'll be hearing in the background - it's everywhere, and most people take it for granted. The more sound coming in at once the harder it gets to process it, so any familiarity with what will be around in each different "land" can be a big relief. It's also another element of discovery and control for your sons to have over their part of the trip - "Listen to the music! Can you tell me where we are now?"
Someone had found some of those ear cup or ear muff type sound muffling headphones on Amazon. They were made for kids and came in bright colors. More than one person posted that they let their child decorate the cup part with stickers, which made them more 'desire able' to wear.

There is a great YouTube video series that is an interactive walk thru the parks - all of the parks. There is a link to it in post 3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
There are a few differences compared to when it was filmed (Toontown no longer exists and a few attractions have changed their queues), but it allows you to watch as if you a walking thru the park, with sounds and sights. The interactive part is that you can choose pass by an attraction or to go on it - which links you to another video that actually shows a bit of the queue, the boarding and much of the ride for most attractions.

I wouldn't push the Nemo ride. The queue is so dark and even if it's empty it's so long and wind-y that it always gets my son ramped up with anxiety.

We didn't find this....but then we had Alternate Entrance accomodation on the GAC. The way we entered was pretty much an empty hallway to the wheelchair loading area.

Hi! We took our 3 yr old ds ASD/PDD-NOS in October. He did great. I found the GAC to be incredibly helpful. Also as I introduced ds to a character I would tell them he was autistic because he can't speak. They were amazing!! I can't tell you how many times I shed tears over the incredibly tender way they all handled him. Minnie got on the floor and took him in her arms like a baby and just cuddled him ( he loves all the characters). Mr. And Mrs. incredible got down and hugged him and asked for a kiss on the cheek. He's extremely affectionate so it was very sweet. He loves Nemo as well and liked the Nemo ride, we used the GAC for this. His favorite rides were the people mover and the Indy speedway. You can have a great time, everyone here gave me wonderful advice. I needed to adjust my expectations and that made for a wonderful trip.

My older son (now 18) is in the spectrum, while my younger son (now 14) is not. DS18 does not care for Disney parks right now, but liked parts of them when he was younger. We had won a sweepstakes trip to WDW about 5 years ago. Managing that while keeping everyone happy was difficult, but not impossible. We did really well on that trip, mostly because I did a LOT of pre-planning. The thing that worked the best was having everyone be part of the plan. Details are on my pre-trip post of a few years ago (see signature) if you want all the nitty-gritty.

Good luck, I hope this trip is an amazing and wonderful experience for all of you.

P.S. nowadays when we "do Disney" I take the younger son and can safely leave the older one home. He's happy to have uninterrupted time with his computer games, and we are happy he is not controlling our trip itinerary. Win-win

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter