Happy Haunts, October 2021 Exercise Challenge

Raya

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the October 2021 exercise thread! We're going to exercise our way through the most spirited month of the year, with fun Disney related Halloween facts. (And yes, I put up my Halloween tree in September and keep some decorations up all year long.)

Welcome back! If you're new here's how to join us (no need to pay a token fee):

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Common goals for our 31 days of Halloween:

15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395 (why not just go for 1400?)
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress.

10% - Candles Gleam Gold
25% - Pumpkin Orange
50% - Candy Apple Red
75% - Wicked Witch Green
90% - Cadaver Dan Blue
100% - Haunted Mansion Purple

October 1 stars our challenge but "there's always room for one more" so join us anytime. Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Final Updates:
piglet1979 939/930 - 101%
Twilight Sparkle 3030/2500 - 121%

BonnieF 486/650 - 75%
ljcrochet 929/700 - 133%
sophy1996 1410/1400 - 101%

PollyannaMom 480/500 - 96%
Raya 361/666 - 54%

Elizabeth Smith 760/800 - 95%

Team: 8395/8146 - 103%
Last updated 11/2

Last edited:
Trick_or_Treat_%281952%29.jpg

"Trick or Treat, Trick or Treat, Trick or Treat for Halloween"
If you're of a certain age, or a big Halloween fan, you might already be singing along. Our first Disney Halloween spotlight goes to the 1952 Donald Duck Cartoon with a very catchy song. Personally the balance of a little spooky with a lot of fun is my favorite part of Halloween. You can catch the whole cartoon (it's not that long, 9 minutes) on Disney+ or just hear the great song on Youtube:

Fun fact! Yale Gracey, Master Gracey from the Haunted Mansion, did the background and layout artwork for this film. :love:

Happy October!
I'm in for 650 this month - splitting the difference between September's goal and reality 😉
I've already gotten 45 minutes today! (45/650)

Raya - I think we're in for a fun month!

October updates!
10/1 26 minutes - Apple Festival - Can I just say when you're a Disney fan every other event pales in comparision. I mean, I'm grateful for the 1/2 mile hike to and from the parking lot to the event, but Disney would've had a monorail or something much spiffier.
10/2 - 24 minutes walking
10/4 - 31 minutes walking some more.

81/666

Oct 1 -- 47
Oct 2 -- 47
Oct 3 -- 11

Total -- 105/930

I don't know why I have such an issue with getting my time on Sundays. All I do for the most part is watch football. The treadmill is in my living room facing the TV. I need to work on this.
What if you made a goal of walking during the commercials during the game? I'm a huge fan of TV and Treadmills, but even if you hate that, the commercials aren't a big deal, right?

Congrats to ljcrochet! Our first to hit pumpkin orange! Meanwhile, piglet1979, Twilight Sparkle, BonnieF, Sophy1996, and Raya (that's me!) have made it to Candles Gleam Gold!

Speaking of pumpkins and candles, my next Halloween showcase goes to the The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad a 1949 cartoon you probably remember as the Disney version of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

Iceraichabodmrtoad5626.jpg

This movie spurred the famous Headless Horseman who appears at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. If you read the original story, though you'll notice that Disney takes a darker side with the tale, leaving it unclear if Ichabod did really escape in the end. This show isn't very long, only 30 minutes, but spooky enough to set the Halloween mood - even though the original story by Washington Iriving doesn't mention Halloween at all!

Fun extra: at 2019's MNSSHP this show along with other vintage Disney Halloween shorts were showing on the Mickey's Philarmagic orchestra screens, which you walked through after a candy stop.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is on Disney+ or you can watch bits and pieces on YouTube:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter