Handicap Restrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

tleager

Earning My Ears
I’m curious if anyone else gets annoyed when nonhandicap ladies use the handicap stalls. I’ve been encountering this on regular basis at DW. Usually there many regular stalls open, but folks use the HC stall. Perhaps I was rude, but I mentioned to two ladies that HC stall should be available to those individuals that need it. I value your opinions. I have mobility issues and cannot hold my potty stuff, so I use a walker.

I’m curious if anyone else gets annoyed when nonhandicap ladies use the handicap stalls. I’ve been encountering this on regular basis at DW. Usually there many regular stalls open, but folks use the HC stall. Perhaps I was rude, but I mentioned to two ladies that HC stall should be available to those individuals that need it. I value your opinions. I have mobility issues and cannot hold my potty stuff, so I use a walker.
Not all disability is visible! I'm shocked and upset if someone challenges me - I have ulcerative colitis and when I need to go I need to go! You would not get a polite response if you challenged me!

There are times I have used one and needed one and I do not look handicap. So my question to you is how do you know the person that is using it does not need it.
Absolutely - neither my DGS or myself "look" disabled- I'm disappointed with her reaction to this.

they are NOT for the exclusive use of disabled individuals. and furthermore with so many places putting the changing tables in them, it is ridiculous to demand that they be used only by such people. or the parents with several young children who all need to go. it matters not if the 'regular ' stalls are empty when you walk in. it is entirely possible that they WERE NOT when the person using the HA stall entered the area.

and you have NO IDEA whether or not someone needs the stall in the first place. I am post hip replacement and while I no longer need my cane or wheelchair, I still need the higher seat and grab bars.

if you cannot hold it, wear Depends. I did when I was having issues and was in a public setting where access to facilities was not guaranteed.

My mom was called out for not looking handicapped enough to be using HA restrooms and it about made her cry she was so upset that people thought she was trying to pull something. She looked very young for her age and nobody could see under her clothes how bad her joints looked from arthritis.

On the other hand I look so pathetic I have never been called out for using them. Not sure which is more upsetting.

It totally depends on how the washroom is flowing... ahhahaa sorry!

So if there's practically nobody else there and there are lots of stalls to choose from, no! of course don't take the accessible stall if you don't need it!

If there's a line or it's just constant in-and-out, we all need to work together to keep things from backing up. Good grief the puns in this post!!!! Just keep using the stalls available, including the accessible one! if you need the accessible stall, please speak up! And no, not all disabilities are visible, so if someone makes a move for that stall, no judging! Anyone with small children or doing "the dance" is automatically going to be given the benefit of the doubt from me.

But don't start a secondary line to leave the accessible stall open while all the smaller ones are being used, that just creates another line with no reason. And at WDW, you have noticed people have little patience for lines!

My mom was called out for not looking handicapped enough to be using HA restrooms and it about made her cry she was so upset that people thought she was trying to pull something. She looked very young for her age and nobody could see under her clothes how bad her joints looked from arthritis.

On the other hand I look so pathetic I have never been called out for using them. Not sure which is more upsetting.
That person would have got an you do not look stupid from me if they said that

As someone who uses a rollator I cannot use a regular stall in a restroom. When I enter if there is a line (and no other handicapped ladies online) I proceed to wait by the handicap stall. If there is someone in there I will knock and let them know there is someone who needs to use this stall. It is disheartening that people think they can decide who is and who isn't handicapped. Recently I had a woman with a child in the handicap stall at Brown Derby. Small restroom with a changing table outside the stalls. I let her know I needed the stall and she ignored me. Knocked again in case she didn't hear me. This time she responded with "I'm changing my baby's diaper." I then again said this was the only stall I could use. She took her time and when she emerged with her 6 or 7 year old daughter and no dirty diaper, she gave me the dirty look. When a restroom is empty, I have no qualms about which stall is chosen for whatever reason, but if someone in need comes in and lets you know they need to use it please show some courtesy. Thank you
So you got mad at a mom helping her developmentally delayed child use the restroom. We really do need to try not to judge based on outward appearances. I hope no one every tries to rush you in the bathroom because they feel they have more right to the space than you. I also hope no one in front of you in line needed that handicap stall you felt you had more right too than anyone in front of you with invisible needs.

So you got mad at a mom helping her developmentally delayed child use the restroom. We really do need to try not to judge based on outward appearances. I hope no one every tries to rush you in the bathroom because they feel they have more right to the space than you. I also hope no one in front of you in line needed that handicap stall you felt you had more right too than anyone in front of you with invisible needs.
Absolutely agree - as I posted earlier my DGS is 8 and if someone brought attention to us leaving that restroom it would certainly not go well!

You beat me to this! I can't imagine how the poor mom and girl felt then being harassed to hurry up and then called out afterwards. I think the poster is very lucky all she got was a dirty look. Terrible, rude behavior on her part. Sorry she needs a rollator but no excuse to be so cruel. And she really had no idea who was in there when she continuously harassed them to hurry up. I can't imagine how stressful it must be to have to deal with changing someone disabled in the parks, let alone someone knocking and harassing during.

I think this thread has shown us all that we can never really know why someone is using the handicap bathroom and to just be polite to people that need then if one is full wait ( I mean really who would spend more time then they need in a bathroom let alone a Bathroom at Disney) if you really have to go then you can do a few things try to us a normal one ( and if you have a roller or something leave it out of the bathroom or go to another bathroom altogether ( I have done this many times) But questioning knocking on the door of someone in a bathroom is really uncalled for. There are way too many times we try to stick out heads in someone else life ( and I can raise my hand here)

To the OP and anyone else that has knocked on the door, pleease know that the person I the bathroom needs it too and they will be out as soon as they can. Most of the time knocking on the door just takes the person in the bathroom longer to do things.

As someone who uses a rollator I cannot use a regular stall in a restroom. When I enter if there is a line (and no other handicapped ladies online) I proceed to wait by the handicap stall. If there is someone in there I will knock and let them know there is someone who needs to use this stall. It is disheartening that people think they can decide who is and who isn't handicapped. Recently I had a woman with a child in the handicap stall at Brown Derby. Small restroom with a changing table outside the stalls. I let her know I needed the stall and she ignored me. Knocked again in case she didn't hear me. This time she responded with "I'm changing my baby's diaper." I then again said this was the only stall I could use. She took her time and when she emerged with her 6 or 7 year old daughter and no dirty diaper, she gave me the dirty look. When a restroom is empty, I have no qualms about which stall is chosen for whatever reason, but if someone in need comes in and lets you know they need to use it please show some courtesy. Thank you

You ask for others to show common courtesy, this means being able to feel empathy for others. Imagine what you would feel like if tables were turned and you were inside the stall and had someone outside doing what you did? I can only imagine how embarrassed, scared, and anxious it would make me feel.

In a crowded place like Disney, OP should not assume that she is only the one who has urgent needs and plan accordingly.
The disboards is the only place I have ever heard of anyone passing judgement on who needs to use the H stall (usually also known and set up as the family stall).

In a crowded place like Disney, OP should not assume that she is only the one who has urgent needs and plan accordingly.
The disboards is the only place I have ever heard of anyone passing judgement on who needs to use the H stall (usually also known and set up as the family stall).
Absolutely - I have a young friend (34) with MS - despite the opportunity not to work she is pressing on and trying to work 3/4 days why she still can. Most mornings she walks fairly comfortably from her car to work - by the end of her work she has a real struggle and there is no doubt to anyone she has a disability. She has a disability parking badge (do you have these in the US?) and twice has been very upset by (both times elderly badge holders) being challenged about parking in the disabled area!
I gave her a sticker for her car which states "Not all disability is visible" - why do people feel it appropriate to comment on others!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter