Had a meeting with DS's principal

tiggerlover

<font color=33CC99>Still waiting for "the talk"<br
I met with the principal today and he confirmed what we have suspected all summer, that DS will be in a combined K/1 class this coming school year. My DS is in the first grade and I have some reservations about this combination. DS will be in a class of 10 kids (5 K, 5 1st), he is the only 1st grade boy and only one of 3 boys in the entire class. I know I should be thrilled about such a small class size, but I just feel like his education will suffer by being with kindergarteners. I also have a couple of issues with the teacher because she was DS's K teacher. After speaking with the principal, he is looking into combining this class with the 2nd graders for specials (art, music, host nation, etc), which will be helpful, but I could still use some pixie dust for the upcoming school year.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

I'd have concerns, too. My son is in 1st grade this year too.

Why did they combine the classes?

Is the kindergarten class all day? I student taught k-1 combined class and the first graders did well. The K's were only there 1/2 day and items like (counting, science) where covered during this time. These were subjects that the teacher could expand on and cover both grade levels. Example would be counting by 5s and 10s. The K's would mainly listen where the 1's would really start to comprehend. Science she would expand her explanation to cover the 1's. It also helps the 1's to be mentors to the younger children. They may read to the K's if they are at this point. You just need to make sure that the teacher is 'expanding' to cover the 1's.

Hopefully the benefit of a smaller class will out weigh the mulit age concern.

HAving concerns with the teacher though....... I'd try to get your expectations made clear early so you don't spend the year frusterated.

I speak from experience :(

I'm sure everything will be fine.My oldest DS was in mixed classes for second and third grades and he turned out fine.He also had an exceptional teacher,so if the real issue is the teacher,I would make an issue of it.there is nothing worse than a bad teacher to ruin a whole school year.i've had to deal with a couple of those and I sympathize because it's NO fun :(

Browneyes, they have to combine classes because there is low enrollment due to the fact we are in a remote location. There are only 63 students enrolled for grades K-8. K/1 is combined as is 4/5, with the biggest class size being 14 students.

believe, it is full day kindergarten, however they do have a teachers aid (at least until the end of October).

jldriscoll, I hope you are right. I did address my concerns about the teacher when I spoke to the principal, and he said he would talk to her (but not mention any names). He also said he wished I had told him of my concerns sooner. I explained to him that I was hesitant because the teacher in question is a beloved teacher that everyone liked and spoke highly of and I was slightly intimidated by that. Also, we only arrived in this school in early March and school was over in early June and I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt on my thoughts, but the last day of school something happened that reinforced my concerns.....and I have been stewing (wondering if this would be his teacher again) all summer long.

pat fan, I am glad to hear you had a positive experience with your child and mixed classes, I hope we are as lucky.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

it is full day kindergarten, however they do have a teachers aid (at least until the end of October).

I have to say that this would concern me. There are some items that are difficult to cover with both age groups, it is possible as they get older just not at a K and 1 level. I would ask the teacher/principal what the 'daily' routine will be and see if there is going to be times when the aide is specifically working the the Ks and the teacher is working only with the 1s. This may eliminate some of the problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter