Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are really not seeing that the Mickey above looks almost identical to Mickey in 1932?
I mean, I'll be the first to admit that I don't personally care for the Mickey shorts all that much. I prefer a different animation style but I can see the retro appeal of the shorts. It looks like they took it right out of 1930's

But seriously, kids terrified? Nightmares? By Mickey Mouse? Granted, I can't fathom HM or Pirates giving nightmares to kids either. GMR never entered my mind as scary and didn't scare her at 3. I guess DGD just doesn't frighten by such things. Nor did DD. They know fake from real.

That was exactly my thought. They were going back to resemble the 1932 Mickey.

I am not talking about the general "look" of Mickey . .that's fine .. the characters themselves are a nice cute "upgrade".

I am talking about the content and "tone" of these shorts. The "gross out" style ... the "potty humor" style. I don't need my kid seeing that (he'll get enough of it as gets older).

Mickey seeing Goofy turned into a horrendously gross looking Zombie? My 4yo would have nightmares from that visual.

I'd be really surprised if they put something in a family ride that looked like that. But not everything content-wise on tv needs to be for little ones. I haven't seen the shorts but if I had to guess, they're probably not targeted to the Disney Jr crowd based on the look I've seen here. They look targeted to school aged children, ones who might be watching cartoon network or nickelodeon.

I'd be really surprised if they put something in a family ride that looked like that. But not everything content-wise on tv needs to be for little ones. I haven't seen the shorts but if I had to guess, they're probably not targeted to the Disney Jr crowd based on the look I've seen here. They look targeted to school aged children, ones who might be watching cartoon network or nickelodeon.
But that same thing appeared on one of the Disney channels which are pretty family-oriented. That's where I saw it.

ETA: however, I guess if it was on Disney XD, that would make more sense.

But that same thing appeared on one of the Disney channels which are pretty family-oriented. That's where I saw it.

ETA: however, I guess if it was on Disney XD, that would make more sense.

I don't think it means too much. If you've got a little one, you're going to know one way or another that the flagship "prime" station for Disney and Nickeloeon for that matter is going to air programming for a wider age ranges. When my son was as young as the previously quoted poster, he only watched Nick Jr/Noggin and PBS Kids on TV or just Pixar/Disney DVDs.

I found out pretty quickly that the programming on Nick and Disney included a lot of older kid and even pre-teen stuff. While funny/appropriate for them, I saw no reason for my 4 year old should watch spongebob, for example. I don't begrudge them for wanting to use an edgier style to Mickey. But I also don't think for a moment they'd put anything in the ride version that would make you feel uncomfortable.

regarding the discourse about the mickey shorts, personally i really like the new style! it's a very fun and fluid style, and although i usually don't enjoy the "grossout" type shows like ren & stimpy, it's usually not over the top here. it's a good way to make mickey relevant for kids again in the fun vein of the original theatrical cartoons

but the only thing they'll be taking from the shorts is the general style, y'know. the plot of the ride (goofy conducting a runaway train) could be done with or without the new look, and i think they're mostly using it as a tie-in to the 1930s theme of hollywood boulevard. well, and for some synergy, but it's likely going to be around long after these cartoons are over. the concept art and samples they showed don't resemble the shorts that closely; they look more like the original style, or maybe more closely "get a horse!" anyway. it's not gonna be a total ren & stimpy-type grossout, just some good old fashioned mickey fun

Sorry, don't think I really explained myself well. I more meant that I don't think kids today are so attached to this as "their Mickey" that they would care one way or another which art style was used in the ride. And since there is already a proven Mickey model roaming the parks, I thought they would use that one.
I understood, I think! I'm saying that I DO think many kids WILL find this version of Mickey "cooler" and be more into the ride because of it. DD10 was thrilled to see it was that version when we watched the D23 presentation. One data point. :)

I don't think it means too much. If you've got a little one, you're going to know one way or another that the flagship "prime" station for Disney and Nickeloeon for that matter is going to air programming for a wider age ranges. When my son was as young as the previously quoted poster, he only watched Nick Jr/Noggin and PBS Kids on TV or just Pixar/Disney DVDs.

I found out pretty quickly that the programming on Nick and Disney included a lot of older kid and even pre-teen stuff. While funny/appropriate for them, I saw no reason for my 4 year old should watch spongebob, for example. I don't begrudge them for wanting to use an edgier style to Mickey. But I also don't think for a moment they'd put anything in the ride version that would make you feel uncomfortable.
I don't really think this is the end of the world, but like the other poster in this thread, I'm just not a fan of the tone of these new shorts. My kids are not negatively affected by these images. I don't think they dislike, or like, them one way or the other.

This is just my personal preference. Despite that, I still have high expectations for this ride. Anytime they say they're working on "new technology" for something. I'm on board.

Martin on WDWMagic says this will use plenty of physical sets and will only take up about 85% of the space that GMR did.
Which translates to what? Just an interesting tidbit or is it significant and my heat addled brain is missing it?

Some thought we would see a lot of screens in this ride but this tells us it won't be all screens. He also mentioned the ride vehicles won't all follow the same course which means re-rideability will be high.
Thank you! I knew the heat had gotten to me and I wasn't seeing the big picture here.

Martin on WDWMagic says this will use plenty of physical sets and will only take up about 85% of the space that GMR did.
Some thought we would see a lot of screens in this ride but this tells us it won't be all screens. He also mentioned the ride vehicles won't all follow the same course which means re-rideability will be high.

Thanks for the great info!!!

I keep thinking Mr. Toad for some reason.

I personally don't mind the characters except for Goofy. I love Goofy and he looks messy and ratty in these shorts.

Kids seem to find these new shorts "cool" in a way they don't the older stuff. Just my observation from having a 10 and 12 yo and seeing them and their friends watch these -- and never anything else Mickey at this point.

You know, tweens and early teens don't want to be associated with "baby" stuff. They watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse/Roadster Racers when they were "little"...if they used *that* Mickey, I think it would be automatic resistance - "That's a BABY ride!" Having this new/retro, edgier Mickey, I think, *will* make it more appealing to that crowd. I also think it will not have the off-putting content that some are complaining about. I don't love the new animation style or the less "Awww, shucks!" Mickey. But, I think the poster below makes a great point...

i think they're mostly using it as a tie-in to the 1930s theme of hollywood boulevard. well, and for some synergy, but it's likely going to be around long after these cartoons are over. the concept art and samples they showed don't resemble the shorts that closely; they look more like the original style, or maybe more closely "get a horse!" anyway. it's not gonna be a total ren & stimpy-type grossout, just some good old fashioned mickey fun

I'm so excited about this! I have never done GMR as it just holds no appeal to me. I'm sure others won't be as happy though.

Yep. Change sucks but for better or worse. The Disney Parks can't be stuck in one era forever.

Hmmm this is very interesting. I'd be fine seeing it go - especially to get a cool new E-ticket. The park is no longer pushing the movie studio thing so it's not as important IMO. The theater facade is more awesome and iconic than the attraction itself. They should put like Mystic Manor or something like that in there. I feel like they could tweak the theming or make it work. Now THAT would gag everyone. I keep thinking that DHS is kind of becoming the DCA of the east - that's the kind of direction it's going in, what they turned DCA into.

Count on it. It's going to be DCA's sister park here in Florida.

Just got back from my trip. Got to ride twice and got both scenes. My farewell to one of my favorites and it was just as good as ever!
I just got back, as well. I was able to do it 5 times and loved every minute of each ride. This one's hard on me. I actually met up with one of my former managers while I was there who worked GMR for over a decade as both a bandit and gangster. He's having a hard time with it, as well. I guess this is progress. I just hope that the new Mickey ride is one I will love half as much as GMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter