Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question: do you think THIS is the type of thing that they will choose depict in their family-friendly-ride-for-all-ages attraction?? The one about a RUNAWAY RAILWAY??

I think this particular concern is much ado about nothing, personally.
Maybe it will be Halloween overlay ready! Why does Disneyland get all the fun with their Halloween ride overlays?
A good zombie-Goofy overlay of the ride would be pretty neat. And with the ride seeming to be mostly screen based it wouldn't cost much to pull off after the initial outlay.

And again: Do you really think that's what they'll put in the attraction??

Not all of these shorts are "gross out" style at all.
All of them I have seen is "gross out" . .just in style. Maybe not as over-the-top as the Zombie Goofy, but it is pretty much a modern day incarnation of Ren and Stimpy. That's fine .. that's the style they chose. Someone said "Hey, let's make a Ren and Stimpy style cartoon with Mickey Mouse and Friends .. it will be a big hit with the teenagers and 20-somethings" ... And that's okay. I am just saying that that style is not "kid appropriate" (they don't show them on Disney Junior for a reason) .. and when most people think "Mickey Mouse" . .they think little kids, but it could be deceptive to people who don't know the shorts.

What I am trying to do is state my opinion that I hope they DO NOT use they same "tone" as the shorts in the ride. I am hoping we get a fun romp like "Get a Horse" where it feels like you are "inside" the cartoon with the characters. If so, then I think the ride will be a hit. I obviously will reserve judgment until the ride is complete, but my hope is the ride doesn't follow in the short's footsteps in tone, but just uses that cute animation style.

As for the screen technology used .. I was hoping that this would mean they would be able to maybe change the cartoon you are in easily .. help keep it fresh and change it every so often .. but I doubt that is the case since the ride's name has " "runaway railway" in it :)

Maybe it will be Halloween overlay ready! Why does Disneyland get all the fun with their Halloween ride overlays?
A good zombie-Goofy overlay of the ride would be pretty neat. And with the ride seeming to be mostly screen based it wouldn't cost much to pull off after the initial outlay.

That would be a great draw during that time of year. I know when they showed their little film at D23 I was not impressed and then when they said it will have more Hidden Mickey's than anywhere else on property ... my first thought was that they needed to do that to get folks to want to come back until they found them all.

While I am not a fan of the new animation style, the characterizations are actually a throw back to the original shorts. Mickey started out as an ornery sort combined with Donald's attitude and it's pretty much what you had. I like that part of the the concept but the artwork leaves me at a loss.

THIS. Hate the "look."

While I am not a fan of the new animation style, the characterizations are actually a throw back to the original shorts. Mickey started out as an ornery sort combined with Donald's attitude and it's pretty much what you had. I like that part of the the concept but the artwork leaves me at a loss.

This is NOT like Ren & Stimpy!!! And the first episode that you cite -- people should look it up -- I don't think it's nearly as "problematic" as you're suggesting here!

And again -- you should go back and check out earlier Mickey cartoons. He was not the "aww shucks!" mouse you remember from the 80's/90's. Kids did not appear to fall apart over it then. I doubt they will now.

Quite honestly, regardless of the content of the shorts or even whatever proposed content goes into the ride, I just don't understand why they would make their first and currently ONLY Mickey ride NOT look like the character that they have walking around in the parks. And any other characters that are in the ride. I don't think that the "kids today" are really all that attached to the new style.

I feel like this one is a huge need to see it before making judgement especially since it is going to have "never before seen" special effects. I am intrigued. For the actual ride system are we assuming Trackless and slow moving?

All of them I have seen is "gross out" . .just in style. Maybe not as over-the-top as the Zombie Goofy, but it is pretty much a modern day incarnation of Ren and Stimpy. That's fine .. that's the style they chose. Someone said "Hey, let's make a Ren and Stimpy style cartoon with Mickey Mouse and Friends .. it will be a big hit with the teenagers and 20-somethings"

I think Goofy is the main offender here. I looked up "new style goofy" and the first thing I found was an image with the caption "Does anyone else 110% hate the new meth head goofy?" I think that pretty much sums up my feelings about it. Except I used the term "hobo pedophile Goofy" when talking about him with a co-worker.

All of them I have seen is "gross out" . .just in style. Maybe not as over-the-top as the Zombie Goofy, but it is pretty much a modern day incarnation of Ren and Stimpy. That's fine .. that's the style they chose. Someone said "Hey, let's make a Ren and Stimpy style cartoon with Mickey Mouse and Friends .. it will be a big hit with the teenagers and 20-somethings" ... And that's okay. I am just saying that that style is not "kid appropriate" (they don't show them on Disney Junior for a reason) .. and when most people think "Mickey Mouse" . .they think little kids, but it could be deceptive to people who don't know the shorts.

What I am trying to do is state my opinion that I hope they DO NOT use they same "tone" as the shorts in the ride. I am hoping we get a fun romp like "Get a Horse" where it feels like you are "inside" the cartoon with the characters. If so, then I think the ride will be a hit. I obviously will reserve judgment until the ride is complete, but my hope is the ride doesn't follow in the short's footsteps in tone, but just uses that cute animation style.

As for the screen technology used .. I was hoping that this would mean they would be able to maybe change the cartoon you are in easily .. help keep it fresh and change it every so often .. but I doubt that is the case since the ride's name has " "runaway railway" in it :)
I don't know if you ride ME but they have one of these shorts on it. Not sure if they have more than one or not, we've only seen 1 on all of our trips. It's Bad Ear Day. So they are not all gross out types and they do show them in "mixed age venues" already.

I feel like this one is a huge need to see it before making judgement especially since it is going to have "never before seen" special effects. I am intrigued. For the actual ride system are we assuming Trackless and slow moving?
It has been reported that it is trackless. I have not seen the phrase slow moving used. I've seen nothing regarding speed one way or another. Just trackless

I think Goofy is the main offender here. I looked up "new style goofy" and the first thing I found was an image with the caption "Does anyone else 110% hate the new meth head goofy?" I think that pretty much sums up my feelings about it. Except I used the term "hobo pedophile Goofy" when talking about him with a co-worker.

That is an excellent way to describe him ... I would just call it "ugly" :).

I don't know if you ride ME but they have one of these shorts on it. Not sure if they have more than one or not, we've only seen 1 on all of our trips. It's Bad Ear Day. So they are not all gross out types and they do show them in "mixed age venues" already.
Thank you for that .. that one was pretty hilarious. Besides the "meth head" looking Goofy .. it was pretty funny and harmless. :)
. But it may be the only one that is "kid friendly" if that is the only one they show on ME. Heh.

I have higher hopes now after having been tainted by the more "Ren and Stimpy" versions of the shorts.

That is an excellent way to describe him ... I would just call it "ugly" :).

Thank you for that .. that one was pretty hilarious. Besides the "meth head" looking Goofy .. it was pretty funny and harmless. :)
. But it may be the only one that is "kid friendly" if that is the only one they show on ME. Heh.

I have higher hopes now after having been tainted by the more "Ren and Stimpy" versions of the shorts.
You've already mentioned another, Get a Horse
You can find them on You Tube.

Not to mention at the resort food courts. We stay at moderates and have seen loops of these new Mickey cartoons running on the TVs in the food courts at Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, and Riverside. In fact, the resorts were the first and only place I ever saw these shorts.

Not to mention at the resort food courts. We stay at moderates and have seen loops of these new Mickey cartoons running on the TVs in the food courts at Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, and Riverside. In fact, the resorts were the first and only place I ever saw these shorts.
True, I had forgotten about seeing them there but they do run on the TVs in the lobby. I'm usually the one dealing with the business at the desk, DH and DGD sit and watch the TV so I haven't seen more than a second or two but they are these shorts.

Trackless? Yes - that is the rumors so far

as for slow moving, not sure about that as they referred to it as a rollicking adventure or something like this and the name is "runaway train" - not sure how a slow moving anything would be considered "runaway"

I know Mystic Manor (which use the trackless system) definitely has some zip to the movement of the vehicles (I think Ratatouille does as well)

I don't think that the "kids today" are really all that attached to the new style.

Kids seem to find these new shorts "cool" in a way they don't the older stuff. Just my observation from having a 10 and 12 yo and seeing them and their friends watch these -- and never anything else Mickey at this point.

Last edited:
as for slow moving, not sure about that as they referred to it as a rollicking adventure or something like this and the name is "runaway train" - not sure how a slow moving anything would be considered "runaway"
Since it seems to be incorporating a lot of screens from what we know, a slightly quick trackless vehicle with added sense of speed coming from fast moving projections on the walls surrounding you would be able to make it seem "runaway" when you actually aren't going all that fast.

Since it seems to be incorporating a lot of screens from what we know, a slightly quick trackless vehicle with added sense of speed coming from fast moving projections on the walls surrounding you would be able to make it seem "runaway" when you actually aren't going all that fast.

yeah, guess it depends on what was meant by "slow moving" - I mean it's not going to Rockin Rollercoaster or anything but I think it will be a bit zippier than It's a Small World - and, like you said, the screen movement could add to the feeling of motion

yeah, guess it depends on what was meant by "slow moving" - I mean it's not going to Rockin Rollercoaster or anything but I think it will be a bit zippier than It's a Small World - and, like you said, the screen movement could add to the feeling of motion

Yes. The only true trackless Disney ride I've been on was Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters at DCA. The vehicles definitely have some pickup, but they are more "quick" than fast. I was impressed by their quick changes of direction. I can imagine this new ride is going to have a lot of "near miss" moments when your vehicle quickly changes direction or sidesteps out of the way of some near catastrophe.

Yes. The only true trackless Disney ride I've been on was Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters at DCA. The vehicles definitely have some pickup, but they are more "quick" than fast. I was impressed by their quick changes of direction. I can imagine this new ride is going to have a lot of "near miss" moments when your vehicle quickly changes direction or sidesteps out of the way of some near catastrophe.

bingo - watch a ride through of Mystic Manor and you can really see how they can get them moving and changing direction and face different parts of the same room, etc.

Kids seem to find these new shorts "cool" in a way they don't the older stuff. Just my observation from having a 10 and 12 yo and seeing them and their friends watch these -- and never anything else Mickey at this point.
Sorry, don't think I really explained myself well. I more meant that I don't think kids today are so attached to this as "their Mickey" that they would care one way or another which art style was used in the ride. And since there is already a proven Mickey model roaming the parks, I thought they would use that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter