Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

Belle83

DIS Veteran
We stayed at GC in 2016 and had a 2BR suite plus 2 regular rooms. I think the regular rooms we booked must have had a downtown disney view category. Our rooms were all near each other. We were all in the corner of the hotel right by downtown disney and closest to Disneyland.

We're trying to book another trip for a larger group and can't find any 2BR suites available for the month we want to go (October), so I'm thinking of booking a 1BR suite plus a few regular rooms. Should I book downtown disney views to have the best chance of being together? or does it matter? I can't find the room map.

Where are the 1BR suites located?

Last edited:

ImarriedGrumpy

AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
We are headed back to GCH for the first time since the renovations. How is the coffee in the rooms with the K-cups now? I confess I'm a huge coffee snob, although I'll cope with bad coffee if it's all I can get my hands on. I don't use k-cups at home, but I'm debating buying some from my preferred coffee chain to use on the trip. Any other coffee folks who can comment on the quality of the k-cups in the rooms? I know I can head downstairs to buy a coffee if need be, but it's nice to get that first cup while we're getting ready in the morning and I'm still in my pj's. Thanks!

Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
...How is the coffee in the rooms with the K-cups now? I confess I'm a huge coffee snob...
The Keurig machines are the basic single serving model found in many hotels, and are much better than the old Cuisinart pod machines. I prefer Nespresso for single serving coffee, but the Keurig is acceptable. Bringing your favorite blend will help.

Sadly, ceramic mugs are no longer provided.

• ImarriedGrumpy

The Keurig machines are the basic single serving model found in many hotels, and are much better than the old Cuisinart pod machines. I prefer Nespresso for single serving coffee, but the Keurig is acceptable. Bringing your favorite blend will help.

Sadly, ceramic mugs are no longer provided.
    Thanks! I'm thinking I'll go buy some of my preferred k-cups...we don't have a Keurig at home, but I can always give the extras to my kiddo's school. I'm going to miss those ceramic mugs, though. Last time we were there, DS and I had a lovely morning sitting on our balcony and plotting our day while I drank my coffee. There's something about holding a mug that just adds to the peacefulness.

Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
    We had a nice visit last week, with excellent weather.
    Just wanted to share a few photos.

When we left last Sunday at 11:30AM, there was a long line for check-in :scared:
    I've been told that half the rooms change guests on Sunday, but GCH needs to reduce these lines (which extended to the center of the lobby and doubled back).
    gch_line.jpg

Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
    The former Pinocchio's Workshop (daycare) is being converted to a larger fitness center.
    The current fitness center is next door (in the former arcade location).

The new space is much larger, and seems almost ready to open (if it has not already).

Construction walls have been up in the walkway from the entrance drive, likely for construction staging.
    gch wall.jpg

The wall have all been removed along with the paper masking the windows:
    gch sign.jpg

A few interior photos (sorry about the reflections):
    gch gym 1.jpg
    gch gym 2.jpg

• sammykster

Mouseketeer
    Did they bring the small chairs and TV back after the lobby reno finished? I know it was mentioned previously it was gone but we weren't sure if that was just while they were renovating. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm if it's back yet ..

pudinhd

DIS Veteran
    Did they bring the small chairs and TV back after the lobby reno finished? I know it was mentioned previously it was gone but we weren't sure if that was just while they were renovating. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm if it's back yet ..
    They were there at the beginning of December.

• Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
    Some information about Club Level at GCH:

>>>DIS recently posted a review of Concierge and the Veranda.

>>>A recent thread about the new carving station

I have a few details to add:

The expanded food selection allows me to make one of my favorite breakfast meals:
    ---bagel, cream cheese, onion, tomato, capers, lox---
    gch veranda lox.jpg

The balcony has a much more efficient layout. French doors at both ends (previously sliders) and long horizontal windows. Long counter and small wall mounted tables allow much more seating, and better layout for fireworks viewing.
    gch veranda balcony.jpg

The horizontal windows fold (accordion style) against the center column:
    gch veranda window.jpg

The former emergency exit near the restroom is now a regular exit, which allows access to some additional seating:
    gch veranda exit.jpg
    gch veranda seating.jpg

Around the corner from the additional seating is this large cabinet. Perhaps to be used when the lounge is very busy. This dark cabinet is rather ugly, considering it replaces a beautiful arts and crafts cabinet.
    gch veranda cabinet.jpg

The single bathroom is nicely remodeled, but no more cloth towels.
    gch veranda sink.jpg
    Fancy changing table and sharps disposal:
    gch veranda changing.jpg
    Basketweave floor tile pattern, similar to the remodeled hotel room bathrooms:
    gch veranda floor.jpg

poseys

Mouseketeer
    GCH has new robes :thumbsup2
    The old robes were rather stiff and rough, so not very comfortable.

The new robes are smooth on the outside (silk-like) with a soft interior (microfiber?).
    The color is light beige, rather than white.
    I neglected to check if they are for sale in the gift shop.

View attachment 301560
    Ooooh, I might have to see if I can get myself one of those robes!
    I’m really bummed still about Pinnochio’s Workshop. They say it wasn’t used enough but I feel like they should’ve extended it to all onsite guests and maybe advertised it a bit more. So convenient and at less than1/4 price of an in-room babysitter. For the cost of staying on-site, I think it was a nice feature they could provide.

ImarriedGrumpy

Another question for those of you who have stayed in the remodeled rooms - are there places to hang things in the bathroom? We'll have a couple hanging toiletry bags on our upcoming trip, and I'm finding that fewer hotels have hooks or even towel bars in the bathrooms these days. The last hotel we stayed at, the only option was a towel bar over the toilet, and I was a little grossed out by that. Thanks!

Angrose

DIS Veteran
    Ooooh, I might have to see if I can get myself one of those robes!
    I’m really bummed still about Pinnochio’s Workshop. They say it wasn’t used enough but I feel like they should’ve extended it to all onsite guests and maybe advertised it a bit more. So convenient and at less than1/4 price of an in-room babysitter. For the cost of staying on-site, I think it was a nice feature they could provide.
    They already did allow all onsite guests to use it. We took our son there when we stayed at the DLH in 2014. It's really too bad they closed it.

Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
    ...are there places to hang things in the bathroom?
    The shower room has a double towel bar:
    gch towel 1.jpg

Next to the sinks are a small hand towel bar (loop) and a regular towel bar (likely the best spot to hang a toiletry bag). There is also a small shelf below the sinks and another above the sinks.
    Not the best picture, but does show the layout:
    gch towel 2.jpg

ImarriedGrumpy

The shower room has a double towel bar:
    View attachment 302154

Next to the sinks are a small hand towel bar (loop) and a regular towel bar (likely the best spot to hang a toiletry bag). There is also a small shelf below the sinks and another above the sinks.
    Not the best picture, but does show the layout:
    View attachment 302155
    Thank you! I've been starting to think about trying command hooks to hang things since it's been getting rare to see well placed towel bars. This puts my mind at ease.

ariel1025

DIS Veteran
    More photos (again the room didn't photograph as nice as it truly is).

Disappointed they went to all showers as a soak is welcome after a long day. There are a outlets everywhere (both standard and usb) and the refrigerators are now beverage cooler style and work very well (the old ones were generally awful).
    @cattywampus , sorry if I missed it somehow, but what room view did you have for this room? Thanks!

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
    ...When we left last Sunday at 11:30AM, there was a long line for check-in :scared:
    I've been told that half the rooms change guests on Sunday, but GCH needs to reduce these lines (which extended to the center of the lobby and doubled back)....
    ohmygosh that's ridiculous. They are in desperate need of the mobile check-in CMs I've seen at WDW, but they'd need a system to get people their keys printed. Are lines shorter other days? We're staying non-CL on our upcoming trip and planned on checking in on a Mon at like 6:30am as I didn't think there would be much of a line for check-in. I thought 30 mins would be good and we'd be able to leave the hotel by 7am, should I consider planning on more time to check-in? I'm not sure I can drag the family out of bed any earlier though...

StarlitNight05

DIS Veteran
    ohmygosh that's ridiculous. They are in desperate need of the mobile check-in CMs I've seen at WDW, but they'd need a system to get people their keys printed. Are lines shorter other days? We're staying non-CL on our upcoming trip and planned on checking in on a Mon at like 6:30am as I didn't think there would be much of a line for check-in. I thought 30 mins would be good and we'd be able to leave the hotel by 7am, should I consider planning on more time to check-in? I'm not sure I can drag the family out of bed any earlier though...
    Not sure if this doesn't hold true for Mondays, but last time we checked in at about 6:30am on a Thursday and we literally just walked right up to the counter.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News