Grand Californian Pause

But what if 100 studios were booked, all within the proper booking window and only 10 were available? It sounds like this is very possible to have happened.

From my reading there is concern that Rooms showed up and people booked, but those rooms were not really free.

So, it’s not that people got to book outside a booking window, but rather more bookings than rooms. I hope they figure it out.

I called Member Services yesterday to cancel my reservation for May (my family and I decided to cancel since it's likely we won't be able to go into the parks as non-California residents). Anyway, the person I spoke to on the phone said that she couldn't cancel my reservation because they received an alert not to cancel any reservations at the Grand Californian. The only reason I even called instead of trying to cancel it on the website is because I wanted to make sure the banked points I used for my May reservation are transferred to my October reservation instead. I have until the end of April to cancel so I'll keep checking.

Didn’t something similar happen with excessive ADRs opening last fall? iirc They ended up giving people $25 credit per ADR that needed to be cancelled. I can’t imagine how they’ll sort this out.

So now (10:15pm Pacific time) It won't pull up availability at all - no message or anything - just pulls up nothing. "No Resort Available". I have a feeling that are working some magic overnight.

I have five continuous nights of VGC 2BR lock-off. I thought this was a weird thing to be open in the middle of the summer!! And ouch at 70 points a night this was a big commitment! I cancelled VGF and BC reservations to free up my points.

I had to move points around to do it, and I was trying to act fast! So it's in three different ressies. I asked them to combine my reservations twice on chat, and they haven't done it yet. OMG, I am in the black hole!

Didn’t something similar happen with excessive ADRs opening last fall? iirc They ended up giving people $25 credit per ADR that needed to be cancelled. I can’t imagine how they’ll sort this out.

Well, I know what I want for my 350 freaking point booking. Just a token, a trifle really. Gold WDW annual passes for my family and the BC ressie we cancelled for VGC. Then we will gladly leave.

But what if the solution is to play games with the DL tickets...

I don't know what to do now. Try to get tickets to an overbooked resort? Try to get tickets on a guest's account? Try to hold until 31 days to see if they try to cancel it? OMG.

Well, I know what I want for my 350 freaking point booking. Just a token, a trifle really. Gold WDW annual passes for my family and the BC ressie we cancelled for VGC. Then we will gladly leave.

But what if the solution is to play games with the DL tickets...

I don't know what to do now. Try to get tickets to an overbooked resort? Try to get tickets on a guest's account? Try to hold until 31 days to see if they try to cancel it? OMG.
Oh goodness. This is a mess. Hope you get an acceptable outcome. Sounds like they will need some type of incentive for the people caught up. So much worse than the ADR error.

Oh goodness. This is a mess. Hope you get an acceptable outcome. Sounds like they will need some type of incentive for the people caught up. So much worse than the ADR error.
And think about the ripple effect. What about those people who grabbed the VGF and BCV reservations because they were dropped......

Just spitballing an idea here, would something like providing a room from the Disneyland or Paradise Pier Hotel and providing additional compensation work? I know they aren't DVC rooms; however, since both hotels are not open at present they could use that inventory. I am sure there would be a whole mess on the backend to make it happen and obviously would be missing some things like having kitchens, but maybe it could work for some.

Just spitballing an idea here, would something like providing a room from the Disneyland or Paradise Pier Hotel and providing additional compensation work? I know they aren't DVC rooms; however, since both hotels are not open at present they could use that inventory. I am sure there would be a whole mess on the backend to make it happen and obviously would be missing some things like having kitchens, but maybe it could work for some.
I wondered that too... if it would be possible. Maybe even some credit exchange between cash DL and DVC WDW? If that could be accomplished who knows.

Booking is still down at VGC. Any word as to why. Ive been trying to cancel all week and now im in the holding window...

Booking is still down at VGC. Any word as to why. Ive been trying to cancel all week and now im in the holding window...
Can you not cancel online?

Also, good news is holding won't apply if you cancel before the end of the month.

I spoke with someone on the DVC Member Satisfaction team yesterday related to the tickets for Disneyland and theme park reservations yesterday. I mentioned needing to call Member Services and I was waiting for wait times to go down a bit more before calling. The person was willing to look and help, but since it was VGC, she was not able right now due to the pause. Mine was to just reallocate points among reservations (want to moved banked VGC onto my July reservation that has current VGC reservations and move additional banked off my November one to July to use current there). She said that she did similar to help someone related to their VGC points last week and ended up getting her hand slapped. So I assume, they also cannot do the cancellations either and that they don't want anyone to mess with the VGC reservations at this time.

When I saw the one day that we had waitlisted for a fall trip was now available, I modified our current reservation. I had no idea it was a glitch until my sister went to book a few days later and saw the pause. Honestly I thought maybe they were being cautious and had not released all rooms earlier but then did. I hope they don't cancel my 1 night I added to the other 3 previously confirmed nights???

I definitely booked during the April Fools availability window. All the ressies are still showing up, but aren't combined, which I requested twice. I just wish there were an answer so I know what to do with all these points!

I definitely booked during the April Fools availability window. All the ressies are still showing up, but aren't combined, which I requested twice. I just wish there were an answer so I know what to do with all these points!
I wouldn't expect them to be combined during this period anyway. If MS aren't allowed to touch reservations then they can't combine them either as it would be lengthening one and cancelling the other....

I wouldn't expect them to be combined during this period anyway. If MS aren't allowed to touch reservations then they can't combine them either as it would be lengthening one and cancelling the other....

I requested them to be combined like the next day, before I knew it might be a glitch. I requested it again a few days later, when it wasn't done. I mean, I get why now, just giving an update on the Californian Black Hole.

You should be able to (in theory) use points (if they are direct / not resale) via Disney Collection for a regular hotel room at Grand Californian. And no fee!
“ A non-refundable $95 transaction fee applies per confirmed Disney Collection reservation (excluding Disneyland Resort in California).”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!