Goodbye Wishes! Hello Happily Ever After!

Didn't someone say that in DL they project on the Main Street Buildings also. Maybe also project on the backside of the castle, Space Mountain, and other biggish buildings.....

I had mentioned that at one point (others may have as well). In Disneyland they project them on Main St. and on the It's a Small World facade and some other places to spread the crowds as their hub is really small compared to WDW

The problem, as was pointed out, is there really aren't the big, flat surfaces in WDW to project them on. Some auxillary images? Sure but not the full story - we watched at Disneyland at It's a Small World and it was almost equivalent to what is on the Castle

Now, if they can do something on the back of the Castle that would be great and help things as that area is a popular viewing area. And even small things elsewhere in the park would be fun for people who have already seen the show before to get a different experience - but not really as a replacement to being in the hub

As also was mentioned I think a key is to ensure the projections are a high up on the castle as possible so a) you can see them from down Main St a bit and b) short people can see ok

I had mentioned that at one point (others may have as well). In Disneyland they project them on Main St. and on the It's a Small World facade and some other places to spread the crowds as their hub is really small compared to WDW

The problem, as was pointed out, is there really aren't the big, flat surfaces in WDW to project them on. Some auxillary images? Sure but not the full story - we watched at Disneyland at It's a Small World and it was almost equivalent to what is on the Castle

Now, if they can do something on the back of the Castle that would be great and help things as that area is a popular viewing area. And even small things elsewhere in the park would be fun for people who have already seen the show before to get a different experience - but not really as a replacement to being in the hub

As also was mentioned I think a key is to ensure the projections are a high up on the castle as possible so a) you can see them from down Main St a bit and b) short people can see ok

In Disneyland Forever, they projected images on the entire Main St. It was breathtaking and immersive. We love watching the main show from the Hub - but for one of our viewings of Disneyland Forever, we purposefully stationed ourselves further down Main St away from the Castle just so we could experience the immersion into the Main St projections. No, we couldn't see the Castle projections that well. But man it was AMAZING to be in the middle of all those Main St projections! You missed that completely standing in the hub.

I really, really hope Happily Ever After creates multiple cool viewing locations. No, you're not going to get the "hub" view standing in B location, but you'll get XX cool viewing experience - this will spread the crowds and reduce the number of people who feel like "they missed out" (surely not a good way to end the night). I agree that the new Star Wars is a disappointment in this regard. I watched it from the ideal spot slightly left of the stage and it was incredible. But if you can't see the projections - you really do miss a huge chunk of what makes the show special.

I would love to see them expand the projection locations. The one issue is they don't have the projectors in place to do it. Can they add them? If course. But, they just redid, replaced the projection system at MK. It would seem unlikely they'll make more changes again

Whats to say your family doesn't love the new show? Think about the fact you all get to experience something new together. Instead of focusing on what won't be there, look forward to what will. Don't be afraid of the unknown.

Unless it really sucks. In that case I'll come back and edit this post to say something about how horrible Disney is.

I appreciate you trying to put a positive spin on this, but at some points I wish people wouldn't do this. People have vested emotional attachments to things, and are completely justified in being upset about them being gone. Feelings of loss and sorrow are natural, we should let people feel those things. Didn't we all watch inside out ? :)

Last edited:

i just read up on the new thing....
i'm even more disappointed now as i see it's going to heavily depend on crap on the castle..
i can't see the crap on the castle..
i couldn't see it before when they put stuff on there, and i won't be able to see it now...

what are they thinking???
those of us over a certain age can't see anything that small from a distance..
we can see fireworks, but not pictures on the castle wall..

and what if your view of the castle is blocked?
not every position that has a great view of wishes affords a view of the castle..

i'm really annoyed..

this just sounds like a money saving move - switch to digital crap on the wall rather than expensive fireworks..
well you know disney, i'm paying a very large fortune to get my family to WDW...
cost cutting measures like this most definitely won't bring us back..

While I can generally see the castle fine, this one of my worries too. That this is cost savings more than offering something new. I was heartened to read in this thread that it will be longer than Wishes, but that doesn't mean better per se. nor does it ensure fireworks which were the part I loved most.

For all those concerned about the introduction of projections into the nighttime spectacular, have a look at what they do in Disneyland Paris. Disney Dreams has been running since the 20th anniversary and is just gorgeous. They are about to get an upgrade for the 25th anniversary with better quality projections and a new story line which I'm excited to see. Reviews have often said that Dreams is the best of the Disney fireworks shows.

They can't use as many fireworks (its rather close to residential areas) but with this as an idea of what we are looking at, I'd say the addition of projection will enhance, not detract.

I love wishes, but we will all have our memories. I'm really excited to see what comes of this. The music sounds fantastic :goodvibes

Hmm sorry but cant agree on this. I've read a few times that Dreams is supposedly rated as the best of Disney's fireworks shows but it really doesnt rate that high for me even though I've probably seen it now more times than any other show. Somehow it just doesnt have the emotion of Wishes. Plus viewing areas are very restricted for Dreams. If you go in peak season and aren't particularly tall then good luck. If someone taller than you stands directly in front of you and their head is in line of the castle then forget it as there isnt a vast amount to see above or to the sides of the castle unlike Wishes.

Regarding the number of fireworks, Dreams has a lot less fireworks than Paris's wishes had, or the Enchanted show had - the reduction for Dreams wasnt about being a residential area, it was purely cost in my opinion.

I wonder if they'll restrict the entire hub and top of main street as some form of premium viewing area? If the new show means that viewing location is even more important than ever, then I bet they're planning on monetizing more of those best locations.

I wonder if they'll restrict the entire hub and top of main street as some form of premium viewing area? If the new show means that viewing location is even more important than ever, then I bet they're planning on monetizing more of those best locations.

I would be surprised if they made the entire area something you have to pay for - though I wouldn't be surprised if they switch around the areas for the dessert party as, I believe, the garden viewing area is now only if you reserve day of while if you do earlier it is only for the terrace seating - I could see them switching this .... and also possible expanding the viewing area as I bet this gets more popular ... but the entire area I think would be a bi tmuch

I'll just sit here in the corner and wistfully nurse my Dole Whip while I listen to the soundtracks of Spectromagic and Wishes. Those are the night-time spectaculars of my kids' childhood.

But seriously, I'm looking forward to the change just so long as they don't get chintzy with the fireworks.

No way would the entire hub become paid viewing. That is a ridiculous notion. Surely someone was being facetious to say it would be. Every change Disney makes is not done to screw over the guest

In this case I think they truly believe this is what most guests want. Wishes is old, like that fact or not. Many guests are ready for something new. They are trying to recognize that.

I'm not sold this new show will be as good as wishes, that remains to be seen. But I'm not writing it off either. I plan to give it a chance

I would be surprised if they made the entire area something you have to pay for - though I wouldn't be surprised if they switch around the areas for the dessert party as, I believe, the garden viewing area is now only if you reserve day of while if you do earlier it is only for the terrace seating - I could see them switching this .... and also possible expanding the viewing area as I bet this gets more popular ... but the entire area I think would be a bi tmuch
Not correct, you can reserve both in advance. I've already booked the Plaza garden viewing for June

No way would the entire hub become paid viewing. That is a ridiculous notion. Surely someone was being facetious to say it would be. Every change Disney makes is not done to screw over the guest

In this case I think they truly believe this is what most guests want. Wishes is old, like that fact or not. Many guests are ready for something new. They are trying to recognize that.

I'm not sold this new show will be as good as wishes, that remains to be seen. But I'm not writing it off either. I plan to give it a chance

Not correct, you can reserve both in advance. I've already booked the Plaza garden viewing for June

I agree it wont entirely be paid. But I wouldnt be surprised if it was restricted in some way - fastpass/dining package etc. I'm thinking of DCA where there are pretty much no decent viewing areas unless you have fastpass or dining package etc. Also sounds like RoL will be pretty much all fasspass/dining package viewing.

Last edited:
Soooo...

I'm assuming that this will replace the (new) "Once upon a time" castle projection show. If not, I'm already a little over all of this projection stuff. Do NOT get me wrong, it's incredible and incredible technology. With that being said, it feels like oh wow we can do this now, and like that, it's everywhere.

Please don't blow up on me, I do enjoy them, but like others have said, I love to experience the "fireworks" in different areas of the park. I know we still don't know what they will actually do, but man, huge loss if the amazing fireworks gets dumbed down.

Soooo...

I'm assuming that this will replace the (new) "Once upon a time" castle projection show. If not, I'm already a little over all of this projection stuff. Do NOT get me wrong, it's incredible and incredible technology. With that being said, it feels like oh wow we can do this now, and like that, it's everywhere.

Please don't blow up on me, I do enjoy them, but like others have said, I love to experience the "fireworks" in different areas of the park. I know we still don't know what they will actually do, but man, huge loss if the amazing fireworks gets dumbed down.
No, it does not

I saw the old mk spectacle last night...

...it's time...it's past time.

I know there's a lot of "gush" over it...but it's just not as memorable as even the painfully old illuminations.

Having seen world of color recently...I have to say that while I loved it...I put it with "wishes" and BELOW illuminations.

It's the rehash of cartoon greatest hits. It's not like we see these movies once every ten years anymore...they are everywhere on a constant loop.

When you do a rehash of little mermaid/lion king/beauty and the beast/frozen songs...it's just predictable. It's a one time thing.

Why don't they do something and tie it to the park? Make it about the expensive vacation...not my iTunes?

I think that's a model for 80's consumerism that's dead.

You still only get illuminations at Epcot.

It's time for "wishes" to go...

"Genie, I wish for you to not redo this same soundtrack for a new projection show...I can see it all on disneystore.com anytime I want with a touchscreen"

:duck:

Soooo...

No this replaces Wishes, and the Once Upon a Time show already replaced Celebrate the Magic.

For those saying "Disneyland Paris is great...don't worry"

In 2015 DLP had just over 10 million visitors...
...mk had about 21 million.

So a 210% increase in attendance may just limit the viewing angles "a tad"

For those saying "Disneyland Paris is great...don't worry"

In 2015 DLP had just over 10 million visitors...
...mk had about 21 million.

So a 210% increase in attendance may just limit the viewing angles "a tad"
However it's still the most visited park in Europe. I mentioned this before, Europe just never had that theme park bug.

I agree it wont entirely be paid. But I wouldnt be surprised if it was restricted in some way - fastpass/dining package etc. I'm thinking of DCA where there are pretty much no decent viewing areas unless you have fastpass or dining package etc. Also sounds like RoL will be pretty much all fasspass/dining package viewing.
All I know is they used to offer FP for Plaza viewing and they took that out. The made part of it Dessert Party viewing but left the other side open seating. So in this case, they opened more prime viewing for all vs. restricting it.
And at HS where the viewing is even more limited they didn't take away a major portion, the dessert party area is not particularly large. Plenty of room left for non-dessert party guests. So their trend does not support your theory. At least not yet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter