Getting rid of Little Red at AK

madcoco

<font color=green>Learns something new here everyd
Budget Cut. The part where the poachers are captured on the Safari at AK. The "live" park ranger waving the gun while Little Red peeks out from the back of the vehicle. Rumored that they are getting rid of the Park Ranger and possibly the whole scene.
Anyone else hear this?

I hope it's true! That is the lamest part of that whole ride. I'd prefer a ride through the savannah with a guide to the cheesy show at the Safari.

The warden position is not essential (like the "Chris, grab my black Les Paul" at RRC). The scene will remain (how could it cost less money to physically remove all of that equipment?)
The position is not gone for good, I'm sure. "Chris" has come and gone with the seasons, as do the pre-show spielers at RRC.

I never did care for this angle on the ride also. I understand the point they were trying to make, but it seemed to take away from the ride and add that extra "cheese"!

Jeff

I'm with you Steve.

Further, I'm always amazed that here on the rumors board soooooo many people hate this "show" aspect. My goodness, it's a great message to teach kids (and having kids now 9 & 13 trust me the message was not lost on them, nor have they grown tired of seeing it...Can you say future classic?) and it adds that "cheesy excitement" that Disney is famous for. Do you guys hate Jungle Cruise as well? A plain Safari ride with just animals becomes boring. This corny act is great...From the nearly falling bridge, to the poachers camp, speeding truck to Little Red in the truck.

Disney is about suspending adulthood and perhaps laughing at the truly silly a little. This cheesy aspect of the Kilimangaro Safari is just cool and I'm quite sure Walt would have loved it!;) s

Well, it does look a little strange now - as if the poachers and the warden are just sitting there in their vehicles having a picnic.

As of Tuesday, the chase scene with the speeding Jeep was finally working again, which is nice.

Now if they would just fix up the Magic Kingdom - that place is in the worst shape I've ever seen it. Peeling paint EVERYWHERE!

I was at AK with people who were there for the first time. I kept telling them how ALL the animals on the Safari ride were real. I had to backtrack about the Little Red. I do not think that animatronics belongs with all real animals.

I had read that they were getting rid of that particular CM position, but keeping that scene with Little Red. On Screamscape they had a short blurb on this.

On Rock N Roller Coaster, wasn't the guy who grabbed the guitar actually in the FILM?!?! Or am I confused...

Mike

"Chris" was/is a real cast member.

Am I the only one that liked a little excitement at the end of the ride?

I know, M. AV, I probably deserve a little blast for needing a little excitement with my 'education'. Short attention spans and all that blah.

But, really, what's so wrong with an attraction that combines seeing live animals in a replica of their habitat with a little bit of scary bridges and chasing poachers. It kind of has something for everyone. (Now if only it had an inverted barrel roll for Bob O). ;)

If it is the fact that there is an audioanimatronic in there mixed in with the live stuff, I can understand that. Heck, even I was a little disappointed that we never actually saw a live little red.

But I like the African guide calling in from the helicopter. I like the rickety bridge (when its working). I like the fast chase scene.

If I wanted a National Geographic special, I would have gone to AOL/Turnerland.

I think the chase at the end ties in great with the message given in the line que. Sure it's campy, but no more so then the gangster stunt in TGMR.

I like it, it is hokey but fun, I agree with those who like it. I also agree with Safari Steve that, like Chris at rnrc, it can survive without it during a lean time. It isn'tl like a structural change, they can always put somebody there when times are better. The truth is, everytime i go to rnrc and "Chris" isn't there, I miss him - "Chris will you get my les paul" and nothing happens, really, I don't think that new comers notice it at all, however. There is no loss of show for them, imho.

DR

This is a lame part of the ride and should be done away with, and not to save money but to make the experience much more enjoyable!!!
Airlarry, now an inversion would really be great!!!(lol) Or maybe they could add a launch to it so you are looking down at the animals(lol).

Well, I've seen tons of kids get a huge kick out of the chase element. Why get rid of it ? Especially with the CM gone,it doesn't cost anything to have it.

Originally posted by Douglas Dubh
My opinion is that it is much less campy than the gangster stunt.
Are we talking about when the gangster/cowboy takes over your car until they get to the Indiana Jones scene?

"I know, M. AV, I probably deserve a little blast for needing a little excitement with my 'education'. Short attention spans and all that blah."

No – good education is entertaining without having to resort to tricks. The audience shouldn't feel bad because the creators failed.

Wasn't Animal Kingdom supposed to be a park that taught about the wonders of the natural world – not a cornball yuck fest?

The park was sold on the contention that real animals could be as interesting and exciting as make-believe stories. So why does the "realist" attraction at Animal Kingdom need a "chessy" phony element to reinforce its already trite message? Why laugh at something so silly when one can be thrilled by some truly amazing.

The "educational" quantity of the entire Safari is about the same as a five second commercial bumper on 'The Crocodile Hunter'. There is no attempt at all to make the animals themselves interesting; they're simply props to be looked at as we drive past. The fact that they had to "jazz it up" with phony gimmick elements like the fake bridge, the fake radio calls and the fake "guide" with the fake gun standing by the fake jeeps with the fake elephant after the fake chase through the fake countryside after the fake poachers shows that they were unable (and unwilling) to come up with anything interesting that was real.

Here's a little blurb that you won't hear on the safari – the latest research from now shows that elephants call each other by name. They have extremely complex vocalizations (most of which at a frequency lower than what humans can perceive) which travels for miles in open spaces. Those calls are far more complex than just "danger" or "come here", but may express concepts and emotions. It's even long been realized that elephants have a concept of life and death, of the passage of time, and immensely strong family bond. Let the implications of that roll about your head for a moment.

So what's more interesting: bouncing along in a phony jeep over concrete shaped to look like cliffs pretending to be chasing a rubber mechanical elephant, or knowing that there is a real elephant with a real conscious, self-aware mind looking back at you? And that maybe all the stories we tell about elephants are matched by the stories they tell each other - about us.

Sure, getting that point across is hard. And one that Disney no longer seems capable of making. So we get acres of concrete for carnival games, spin-and-puke rides, steel coasters and every other stomach churning idea that can be bought from another park with the hopes of making a quick buck. The shame is that with all the resources, all the imagination, all the skills and all the experience that Disney could bring to this – to make it better than a National Geographic special – that they've made it so boring and trite.

P.S. " Well, I've seen tons of kids get a huge kick out of the chase element." Actually most times I've been on the ride the kids have always been more thrilled when an elephant pees. Just because "the kiddies like it" doesn't mean it's worthwhile having. Or should that feature be added to the animatronics as well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter