Getting rid of Little Red at AK

Yoho, I have been to the San Diego zoo. And I have ridden the monorail, et al. It's nice but if you really think the Pangani or Jungle Trek are better attractions than KS then we are way too far apart to even bother discussing this one...

I think they are better attractions, because they don't fail to be more then mediocre.
They are walking trails past extremely well themed animal enclosures. They claim to be nothing more and I would challenge you to find better done areas in any zoo in the world.

KS on the other hand claims to be a lot of things and fails at most of them. That doesn't mean its not an enjoyable attraction or that somehow d-r is weird for expereancing that moment. KS, however is supposed to be a PotC, a ToT, a SM. The hype says it is, its pre-emenance in the park says it is, the acctual expereance IS NOT! If you really think that KS is better then San Diego Wild Animal Park, or San Diego Zoo, or Seattle, then we really do have nothing to talk about, because or views of what makes a good animal attraction can never be reconciled.

Well, I've been to the san diego zoo/animal park.

You know, people just have different perceptions.

Instead we got a place that uses everything as decorations to staple onto average, run-of-the-mill attractions. Real animals stuck on stage like props, cardboard dinosaurs are glued onto roller coasters, and nothing that hasn't been done a hundred times before is presented. There's nothing special at Animal Kingdom and that's a true shame.

We absolutely did with AK. No one seems to be expressing why that was? My recollection is that WDW was attempting to open this park ahead of IOA and in doing so streamlined everything right down to the entertainment.

3- It’s the best ride in the place! Sounds like a good thing, right? Well it isn’t! The safari is good! It’s very, very good! But it ain’t no Pirates, Splash, Mansion, JC, ToT, Spaceship Earth, or even R&RC!! And AK should have one of those!!

I have only visited this park once. I rode the safari which was hyped as being something so much more than it delivered. I interpret this "best ride" analogy as being compared only to the other AK attractions - of which there are virtually none to speak of. The AK is lacking in so many areas that it is the first park either cut out of someone's schedule or limited in terms of visiting.

Personally I will not miss the "little red" show. It looked silly and no one operating the ride seemed to enjoy it either.

Watching animals try to mount one another or defacating is available at every major city in America and does not cost $53.00/person to view.

Like many of us here, I have my own preconceived notions of what is a good Disney attraction and what's not, I'm obviously influenced by the discussions that we have had around here...especially when it comes to AK, a park that has basically been around as long as I've been on the DIS.

So, in order to get a fresh perspective, I asked one of my scout den leaders, who just got back from her first trip to WDW with her boys about AK...specifically what did she think about the KS.

And puhlease, I did not prep the question in anyway or try to influence her. It was a simple question brought up as we talked about her trip. Something in the nature of "How was the safari ride? How did your boys enjoy it? What did ya'll think of the little red poaching chase scene?"

She said her boys thought the ride was okay. They enjoyed seeing the animals, although she said most were asleep. (A problem I haven't really had before, but I try to go when the insiders say the animals are stirring).

As for the little red scene, she said, "Oh you mean the camp thing?" She said they didn't really pay much attention to the radio and the chase...but that the boys enjoyed the fast paced exit.

What does this all mean? It means Ei$ner must go...err...did I say that out loud? It shows me that Yoho! is right that for the park...KS is a great attraction, but that compared to the rest of the world, it did not generate enough wow to really impress this first time visitor. (Who did not like IOA--she said too many thrill rides!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter