Getting Halloween Decorations Cancelled for Entire Class?

What should teacher do?

• Switch to autumn decorations only

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Keep up whatever decorations are in the classroom

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
Neither radio show host has children, but one of the hosts compared the situation to a nut allergy, where if one child has a nut allergy then not nuts should be brought into the classroom (or school, if there is a schoolwide policy). He felt the mom had a good point. What say you?
It is a ridiculous comparison. One is a life-threatening safety risk. The other is something that you personally don't like for religious reasons. Your religious beliefs are for you to follow yourself, not for you to impose on everyone else around you.

A more valid comparison to this mom trying to force the teacher to decorate (her classroom with her own money) in a way that follows mom's particular religion would be another parent trying to force the teacher to wear a head covering or long dresses because that's what their religion says women should wear. (The rules for dress should only apply to followers of that religion, not everyone else they come in contact with.)

I'm Catholic. I don't disagree that Halloween goes against most religious teachings
Isn't Halloween a Catholic/Christian holiday? I have always been taught that All Hallows Eve (Halloween) is the vigil celebration of All Saints Day (a Holy Day of Obligation/major feast day in the Church’s liturgical calendar).

Wow, I'd feel really bad for that little boy too. but also super disappointed that the school wasn't proactive and decide to make the festivities inclusive. Many schools moved to "winter" parties years ago. Seems like a simple solution that apparently wasn't considered...sad.
I don't think it's necessarily that simple. Depending on the family, they may not have allowed the child to participate regardless of how "inclusive" the school tried to make the party. If they know the generic "winter" party is a substitute for a holiday party, they would likely still refuse. In addition to being banned from attending holiday and birthday parties, the JW kids that I went to school with were also not allowed to participate in the pledge, pep rallies, movies, dances, sports, etc.

Who cares if it’s not your religion that’s being celebrated. You will likely encounter all kinds of ppl everywhere you go so learn about what others believe. I am an atheist. DS goes to Catholic school. I went to Catholic school too so clearly it’s not like that matters as far as your beliefs later in life. He goes to the school he does because it’s a good school. And, I’m glad he learns about religion. He can then have the knowledge & freedom to decide his beliefs for himself when he is older. I don’t get the big deal of letting your child participate in something even if it’s different from your personal beliefs.
This is how I feel as well. It seems absolutely bizarre to me to try to prevent your children from having any exposure to the fact that there are different people in the world with different beliefs and customs.

How tenuous is their faith if a few jack-o-lanterns or skeletons would completely corrupt them?

Just a little devil's advocate here, but what happens if a parent feels that Mickey/Disney is inappropriate because they don't like something about it and don't let their child watch it? Should that force you to change your Mickey room that you've had for so long?
This isn't even a stretch. This has happened throughout the last 30+ years. I remember when I was a kid in the 90s the Southern Baptist Convention's boycott of Disney (we lived in Central Florida at the time). Then there was all the anti-Harry Potter/magic uproar where parents were trying to prevent schools and libraries from any mention of anything magical.

I haven't read the entire thread, but one persons' beliefs shouldn't be enforced on everybody. I doubt kids that young would feel so strongly against Halloween, so it's not really a mom looking out for her kid, she's just wanting to ruin it for everyone.

Separation of Church and Halloween, as was decreed by forefather Jackson O'Lantern. Look, I'm anti-Crocs, but I would never enforce that others should not wear them. Kids should be allowed to have their Halloween decor, just as people can have their Crocs.

I haven't read the entire thread, but one persons' beliefs shouldn't be enforced on everybody. I doubt kids that young would feel so strongly against Halloween, so it's not really a mom looking out for her kid, she's just wanting to ruin it for everyone.

Separation of Church and Halloween, as was decreed by forefather Jackson O'Lantern. Look, I'm anti-Crocs, but I would never enforce that others should not wear them. Kids should be allowed to have their Halloween decor, just as people can have their Crocs.
Glad to see another member of the anti-Croc crowd.

I wore crocs to work today.

Parents who disagree with anything discussed above can always discuss with their children how their beliefs are different and how we should be tolerant of everyone's beliefs and thoughts. The parent could discuss with the child that not every place they will go will believe exactly like them.

Back in the 50s I went to elementary school with a girl whose folks did not want her to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Not because of the "God" reference but because their faith prohibited pledging allegiance to anyone/anything but God. She was given the choice of sitting quietly or staying in the hall until after the recitation. But she understood why. No one made a big deal of it.

As a Christian, I don't observe Yom kipper, Rosh Hashanah or Hanukkah. But I have friends who do. I wish them a good fast or Happy Hanukkah and they wish me Happy Easter or Merry Christmas. They have a Menorah in their window, I have a single light. We respect each other.

We need more tolerance and understanding in the world and less ME ME ME

one persons' beliefs shouldn't be enforced on everybody
So how many people does it take? Two? Five?

As far as parents deciding their kid should skip the pledge, you're taking maybe a minute out of the day? Skipping the party should be maybe an hour to 90 minutes of one day?

Wasn't the mom in the OP complaining because the decorations were up for a month? And does changing the decorations to a "fall" theme really take away the "fun" from the other kids?

Just things to ponder/discuss. I still think the mom should have talked to the teacher by Labor Day.

Crocs are an excellent shoe for around the campsite. I have a pair for that but don't really wear them anywhere else.

i have a pair of what i call knock-crocs that are my devoted 'deck' shoes. the fuzzy lined wanna be crocs are ideal for walking on the deck year round. if they get snow or rain on them they drip dry. mud and muck easily hoses off, since i buy them for a fraction of the cost of crocs i feel no guilt tossing them when the lining dies (in fact i will take them on an upcoming vacation for their last hurrah-toss them in the trash as we depart for home).

Back in the 50s I went to elementary school with a girl whose folks did not want her to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Not because of the "God" reference but because their faith prohibited pledging allegiance to anyone/anything but God. She was given the choice of sitting quietly or staying in the hall until after the recitation. But she understood why. No one made a big deal of it.

i attended jr. high in the 70's with a family of girls whose faith mandated only dresses be worn. generaly floor length, but lower calf length (so long as tights were worn) was acceptable occasionaly. gym was a mandatory class and the public school required either shorts or sweatpants. the family privatly approached the school who conferred with the district. apparantly there was some insurance issue that mandated the shorts/pants requirement so the parents and school came to a compromise-calf length dress over sweat pants. no big deal.

Oh I’m fine with judgement! And they aren’t the regular crocs but more of a sandal.
Oh ok, so maybe they aren't that bad. My wife also bought me a pair of crocs flip flops years ago which looked like regular flip flops so they were ok.

the fuzzy lined wanna be crocs are ideal for walking on the deck year round.
My wife tried those but gave them up after a couple months. They were certainly very warm, but maybe a bit too warm. They made my wife's feet sweat so much that they stunk to high heaven.

The mom in OP really is t setting her child for the path of life is she?
So she wants the rest of class who celebrate it to not just for her kid? Lol

I think everyone should send the teacher $20. Isn’t it enough that she/he has 20+ first graders to manage all day, has to teach them all no matter the level they are at, has to deal with all the kids who need special help or instruction or accommodations for disabilities that no six year old brings upon themselves, spends a ton of money out of pocket for anything needed for the classroom or extra activities or adapted instructional materials, etc, etc., etc. And the teacher likely has a bunch of student debt because they need at least a bachelor’s and in some states a master’s degree. Her/his peers who went into engineering make so many times over what the teacher makes for trying to figure out a machine - while a teacher had 20+ human brains to figure out (most complex machines there are)

But, you’re upset about Halloween decorations and that needs to be the priority for the teacher? Really? Really??? Maybe you should become a teacher. Then you can cancel the decorations for 1 parent, and deal with a whole bunch more mad parents. I’ll be the parent that keeps her mouth shut about stupid things because as long as you are kind to my child and teaches him/her, I let you run the classroom.
As a retired Elementary teacher of 35 years THANK YOU!!! If all parents were more like you a teacher’s job would be much easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter