Getting Halloween Decorations Cancelled for Entire Class?

What should teacher do?

• Switch to autumn decorations only

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Keep up whatever decorations are in the classroom

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
I th
I grew up with the mindset of your religion, race, gender doesn't mean a hill of beans. A good person is a good person.

Maybe because of my upbringing I see this differently.

Switch it up, say Hanukah was the celebrated holiday and Christmas was the background one. I know my parents, they wouldn't have pulled me from participating. They wouldn't have cared that the classroom was adorned with menorahs, dreidels, and colored in blue & white. They would have said go have fun and learn about another cultures tradition. I know, not all parents are like that. But I have to think a lot more are like that than not. Otherwise, these events would have been canceled eons ago. Maybe I am foolish to think this? That is quite possible.

That could be why I don't quite understand the adamance of canceling it all. Although I do realize winter holidays, Christmas/Hanukah/Kwanzaa, are blatantly religious. IMHO, in public schools it should be an all or none scenario. (and to @sam_gordon, I can understand your stance. In your circumstance, a song and possible lone dreidel decoration to appease wasn't a solution.)

And again, maybe my naivety is showing, but in our current world I don't see Halloween and Valentine's Day as religious holidays. I really don't think the vast majority see those as religious. I hear every year people complaining that Valentine's Day is a made up Hallmark holiday (along with Sweetest Day, to which I 100% agree on that one - lol.)

Therefore, through my eyes, canceling all the fun for the majority who do not see (especially those two events of Halloween and Valentine's Day) as religious feels unfair. :confused3

It falls along the same lines of when you have permission slips for field trips or the sex education talk. If you don't want your child to participate, that is perfectly acceptable. But that is on the parents. I think pulling your kid from those classroom parties because you don't believe in them is fine. And you don't have to pull them all day, just the last 1-1.5 hours because that is when the parties are.

To me, canceling them all for the outliers feels like the knee jerk reaction.
I agree. That’s why I feel like I do. Who cares if it’s not your religion that’s being celebrated. You will likely encounter all kinds of ppl everywhere you go so learn about what others believe. I am an atheist. DS goes to Catholic school. I went to Catholic school too so clearly it’s not like that matters as far as your beliefs later in life. He goes to the school he does because it’s a good school. And, I’m glad he learns about religion. He can then have the knowledge & freedom to decide his beliefs for himself when he is older. I don’t get the big deal of letting your child participate in something even if it’s different from your personal beliefs.

Thank you.

My room is actually known As the “Mickey room” because it’s all red and black with polka dot curtains, a mickey head border, and Disney quotes in vinyl. All paid for by me because I want an attractive space for them and me. My money saver is not changing it. It’s been this way for years. I also do not change anything out for holidays.

That being said, it does get freshened up from time to time as people will gift me things that fit the room.

Just a little devil's advocate here, but what happens if a parent feels that Mickey/Disney is inappropriate because they don't like something about it and don't let their child watch it? Should that force you to change your Mickey room that you've had for so long?

Just a little devil's advocate here, but what happens if a parent feels that Mickey/Disney is inappropriate because they don't like something about it and don't let their child watch it? Should that force you to change your Mickey room that you've had for so long?

my kids attended a summer school (glorified daycare) at a private school that prohibited ANY disney related items be displayed, worn or brought on campus.

my kids attended a summer school (glorified daycare) at a private school that prohibited ANY disney related items be displayed, worn or brought on campus.

Right, that sentiment does exist so I was just wondering if people would feel any differently about it if that were the subject of the dispute.

A couple of years ago, a room like that would be very frowned upon where I teach. The Principal, at the time wanted an all natural, neutral, very minimalistic class to promote a calming environment for the students.

I think some people just dislike ANY company that is successful/profitable. Could be Amazon, Disney, Apple or any number of other ones. When those people try hard enough they can always come up with something they are 'outraged' about.

One of my college roommates went to a private all girls school that banned anything Harry Potter so it's definitely possible that specific IPs would be targeted.

One of my college roommates went to a private all girls school that banned anything Harry Potter so it's definitely possible that specific IPs would be targeted.
Exactly. My question is for those who side with the parent on this, would they still feel that way if the disputed decorations were not for Halloween, but Disney (or similar), themed?

Chiming in again (as someone who leaves a little Halloween decor up all year long in my classroom and at home)...you're never going to please everyone. Teaching is nearly impossible these days. This is my 12th year teaching and I've given up doing what I think is going to make everyone happy and started doing what I need to for my mental health and what is going to be best my students. I make my classroom comfortable and welcoming and add in touches that make me happy because I am also spending the majority of my time in this room. We celebrate (by celebrate I mostly mean *snacks*) every major holiday and during the winter holidays we spend that time learning about other cultures and how they celebrate during that time. It's part of our standards to learn about holidays and traditions. If parents don't want their child to have an orange cupcake because it's Halloween, that's perfectly fine. But they will need to go to another classroom during that time. We also have storybook character day every Halloween. Parents are aware of the dress code, what is/isn't allowed, and being presented at storybook character day avoids it being specifically Halloween (even thought what else would it be 😂). I'm in a VERY small, VERY conservative town. I feel like one day down the road it's going to be an issue, but as of right now...it works.

For any parent who is concerned about celebrations or holidays going on in their child's classroom I beg you, PLEASE talk to your child's teacher first. I guarantee you that your child's teacher has a backup plan for assignments or treats and if not, you can work it out together. It is SO stressful and frustrating as a teacher to try to do something fun and educational and then be hit with a call from the principal or county office with an upset parent. Communication!

:sad2: Sure...by all means - everyone should adhere to this one person's religious beliefs. What a ridiculous world it is becoming. If they do this, no one should

Have ANY santa claus or christmas themed stuff displayed if any jewish or muslim children.

Force every female child, including the teacher if female, to cover their head with a burka if there's a muslim child in class - seeing uncovered heads is against that child's religion and could be quite traumatic.

Same goes if someone's religion prohibits non-religious music.
Or women who wear pants.
And so on. And so on.

My heart genuinely goes out to every teacher - you have the patience of saints to deal with some of these entitled nut job parents. My head would explode.
I wouldn’t consider Santa Claus a religious figure lol

Exactly. My question is for those who side with the parent on this, would they still feel that way if the disputed decorations were not for Halloween, but Disney (or similar), themed?
It should IMO depend on just why someone is making a complaint.

Complaints aren't inherently wrong, we don't have progression without it, but why a parent would complain about Mickey or Disney should play into it rather than posing it as they are complaining about Mickey or Disney. At least in terms of what reaction a school has.

FWIW Disney has and can go after entities if they use their IP incorrectly, whether we think that should be what they are doing they do. For example daycare centers have been in the news for having Disney murals that had to be taken away because Disney went after them for using it without their permission. If a parent complained because they were worried about that..eh..I mean does that make it bad? Not really. It doesn't make it likely that Disney would go after them but it's not a wholly unrealistic reason to complain.

I think everyone should send the teacher $20. Isn’t it enough that she/he has 20+ first graders to manage all day, has to teach them all no matter the level they are at, has to deal with all the kids who need special help or instruction or accommodations for disabilities that no six year old brings upon themselves, spends a ton of money out of pocket for anything needed for the classroom or extra activities or adapted instructional materials, etc, etc., etc. And the teacher likely has a bunch of student debt because they need at least a bachelor’s and in some states a master’s degree. Her/his peers who went into engineering make so many times over what the teacher makes for trying to figure out a machine - while a teacher had 20+ human brains to figure out (most complex machines there are)

But, you’re upset about Halloween decorations and that needs to be the priority for the teacher? Really? Really??? Maybe you should become a teacher. Then you can cancel the decorations for 1 parent, and deal with a whole bunch more mad parents. I’ll be the parent that keeps her mouth shut about stupid things because as long as you are kind to my child and teaches him/her, I let you run the classroom.

My kids are 23 and 17. When they were in elementary school there were many years each parent would send in $20 to the teacher/PTA class mom. This would cover the parties for the year. Halloween, Christmas (may have changed to winter party), Valentine’s Day, Easter (may have changed to spring party). They would usually get pizza and the parents would send in something off the list (juice boxes, plates, etc.) My kids LOVED this. I don’t know if it’s still done in our district. We also had a Halloween parade up until 5th grade. The kids dressed up and walked around the school (outdoors) and all the parents lined up watch.

I worked for many years in a a well-to-do suburban, public school. Every, single, pseudo-holiday was celebrated to the extreme. Literally, a half day devoted to the parties. What a waste of time. Staff was held hostage to overzealous parents who'd arrive "extra early" to decorate and set up. The entire day was a waste in any learning taking place.

I moved across the country. I now work in a lower-income school. It's a huge melting pot. So the district doesn't allow any in class parties, no dressing up on halloween. We are allowed to put up pumpkin crafts, fall decor, no Santa, no "scary" decor. And no parties. The school does have 'trunk-or-treat" that the staff participates in - after school. Winter fest is games and such again, after school. No one complains. Honestly, as a teacher, I'm happy not to deal with the costumes and all the 'stuff' the parents want to send in.

I worked for many years in a a well-to-do suburban, public school. Every, single, pseudo-holiday was celebrated to the extreme. Literally, a half day devoted to the parties. What a waste of time. Staff was held hostage to overzealous parents who'd arrive "extra early" to decorate and set up. The entire day was a waste in any learning taking place.

I moved across the country. I now work in a lower-income school. It's a huge melting pot. So the district doesn't allow any in class parties, no dressing up on halloween. We are allowed to put up pumpkin crafts, fall decor, no Santa, no "scary" decor. And no parties. The school does have 'trunk-or-treat" that the staff participates in - after school. Winter fest is games and such again, after school. No one complains. Honestly, as a teacher, I'm happy not to deal with the costumes and all the 'stuff' the parents want to send in.
IDK lot of people think standardized testing is a wasted day especially with how they are used. I was in schooling during the "no child left behind" era.

I agree with you about the parents hyper-involvement but wouldn't say these things were a waste of a day. There are almost always days throughout the school year filled with less stringent learning, doesn't make it a bad thing.

Perhaps a different take on your experience where you live. Could it be that in the particular area you live in now without the school activities many of these children would end up not getting a chance to celebrate at all? As in the parents lack the funds or time, etc? Certainly winter fest wouldn't necessarily be about celebrating any one particular holiday but more about a chance for the kids to celebrate something. I would imagine if the parents can give their child an opportunity that they may not have otherwise there would stand a higher chance of not complaining. Maybe after school isn't always the most ideal time, but at least their kid may get to do trick or treating when without that event they may not get to do it at all. Sure maybe not every kid is in this situation but as you said you're in a melting pot, so just thinking food for thought I'm not sure I would say both of your experiences should be treated the same.

My aunt taught elementary school for more than 40 years. She enjoyed the very things you hated in your suburban school. What she didn't like was the evolution that is the schooling system, but costumes for Halloween? Not even remotely high on her list of complaints. Books thrown at her and disruption from children where that child stayed in the classroom and all the other children had to leave so the one left behind child could cool down? Yeah those she had issues with and those are most def. a wasted day of any learning.

I think balance is key. I don't see anything wrong with the ocassional in-class celebration, but it should definitely be just that - ocassional. I can remember doing that just a few times a year, and even then it was usually for like the last hour of the day, or we might have made Valentines Day crafts during what was already the art class period anyway. It wasn't excessive.

It was a small, Catholic school, so there wasn't an issue with any religious holidays - in fact, we got many of the Catholic feast days off! We always had All Saint's Day, November 1, off so I could stay up late on Halloween! 😁

I wouldn’t consider Santa Claus a religious figure lol
How it was explained to me when I taught as well as when my kids were in elementary school was that Santa and the Easter Bunny are not religious figures but are associated with Christian religious holidays. Keeping to snowmen in the winter and pastels in the spring was encouraged (although Halloween was never an issue in our particular schools). Of course some people brought in Santa or Easter egg cupcakes for parties but kids were not asked to make ornaments or go on egg hunts.

Years and years ago I remember our rival school were the "Red Devils". A very religious family moved in and wanted the mascot changed. The school had over 4000 students, so the family was overrun with angry folks. They tried fighting for the change, but in the end they lost the war and as memory serves, ended up sending the kids to a private, religious based school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter