Genie Service

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am on board and will be buying it. Like most tools, I will not likely buy it every day. I will buy it intelligently based on my park and planning. Certainly I will buy LL for things like SDD if it's available. I am looking forward to that aspect of the system. I am sure I am not the only person.
I travel solo and I can easily afford $15, I might even pay iy, it depends on how it goes. But it's not the point.
It will work only if adoption rate is "average". If everyone buy it, depending on how much capacity will be allocated to g+, either everyone will wait in the LL lane instead of the standby line or you'd be able to get one or two before they're all gone. You'd pay $15 for nothing. So Disney will increase the price lo lower adoption to a level it'll be benficial.
You see: it's not a service to improve your experience, it's a way to lower everyone's experience to the point enough people are disperate enough to pay to fix the problem Disney created.
That's what I find disgusting.

Why not just return to the system of the 1970’s?
Very reasonable admission, but you needed to purchase the ticket booklet for the attractions. The more E-tickets, the more expensive the booklet.

I say that jokingly, but in all honesty it does have its benefits.

It’s not a big deal until YOU are the one that it affects.
Heck, just charge a million dollars and limit the line to billionaires.

A trip to Disney is not suppose to be exclusive. It’s not like buying a Lamborghini. It was suppose to be a vacation that the average family could take.
They are starting to price out the middle class.
To be clear - it affects me. But that effect might be good - we haven't even given this new system a chance.

Also - the middle class is Disney's bread and Butter and that is not a demographic they would want to alienate. The definition of middle class varies wildly depending on your zipcode... but even taking that into consideration - ALL middle class families can afford this addition. For those who are still striving to get to the middle class and feel this is too much, standby is still an option. And you are right some households are being priced out of WDW vacations and that sucks. I wish everyone could get to experience the parks. But Disney isn't a not-for-profit - it's a publicly traded company and they have a responsibility to their shareholders.

Disney trips have never been cheap and I would argue that they have always been exclusive. There are undoubtedly tens of millions of American residents that want to go to Disney and can't - never mind the rest of the world.

I've been saying this, too. Most families have a set amount they're willing/able to pay for a Disney vacation. They may pay the extra $ but they will trim costs elsewhere to compensate. They'll eat in their rooms or off property more, they won't buy the merchandise this trip, they won't buy the snacks in the park and will bring their own or they'll reduce the number of days in the park. In the end, does this really make Disney any more money?

I think you will find this to generally not be as true as the social media sites makes it sound. Remember that at WDW specifically (not talking about DLC or DLP or anywhere else - WDW is a different animal and is a destination resort), approximately 70% of the visitors in any given day are once or twice in a lifetime visitors. DVC, AP's, and other people who make the trek every 1-4 years make up only 30% of the crowd.

The vast majority of those 70% are not coming to disboards or hanging on the FB pages. A lot of them get information from their TA's, friends, family or first timers on social media, or just from WDW resources. They have not put aside their "average budget" based on their "average visit". They will not know that it was cheaper, and don't have preconceptions of the price. Yes, they have sticker shock and will make budgets, but they make those budgets based off current figures.

You will see a lot of social media posts that threaten to boycott, sell, slash their budgets, bang their fists, write, complain and threaten to sue. But all of those social media posts and board posts and crowds, etc all added together make up a very, very, very small percentage of Disney Visitors. The dip in income will be challenging even for an artificial intelligence analytical tool to find.

People here tend to overrate their importance to Disney and believe and their friends who will listen to them make up some large, important percentage of Disney visitors, but the truth is we really don't.

Every friend (read not internet friend) or family member I've talked to is in that boat. Many could afford it but won't change that budget. Disney isn't their only vacation destination nor is it ours. They've stated that the will be changing how they vacation at Disney while expanding what they do elsewhere where their money goes farther.

This is pretty much me/us.

We all have boundaries. I think this has become way more than about a few dollars and thus has thrown some of us over the rail that wouldn't normally be phased by something like this. There comes a point in time where enough is past enough. Congratulations Disney. If you were looking for it, eureka.

I'm surprised more people haven't commented on my county fair comment, because that's exactly what this has become. And I'm not paying $150 just to get in the gate of the county fair. But I may start going again after 30+ years for $20.
I'm not a one-percenter, but it is not unusual for me to spend about $1,000 on my room charge on a solo trip for 8 days, and go to Disney at least 2x per year, in addition to having a Gold AP and Tables in Wonderland card. I do the dessert party, I eat at Tiffin's, and do a table service in the parks daily. If I see souvenirs I like, I buy them. (And let's not forget resort delivery hasn't come back, either) But $15 a day for 8 days just to be able to get on some of rides, and not even one of the E-Ticket rides would pretty much drive me to cut one of my Disney park days and finally go to see Harry Potter at Universal, or take a non-Disney cruise out of Galveston instead a second Disney trip per year. Some of my friends love cruising, and I enjoy it from time to time.
Is it confirmed that you would have to add it to all 8 days? or can you be selective. Also - if E-tickets are the ones you want to ride then LL should suit you well. I think having them be out of the Genie+ service is a very good way to keep the 'E-ticket' standby lines reasonable.

I am confused on the resort delivery not coming back. The absence of delivery would limit my spending significantly.

All you people excited about the possibilities of early rope-drop tickle me. I'm glad you're so excited there may be a momentary "out," but you're just dismissing the real issue and giving them a pass. Stop doing that. We don't do ropedrop anymore. I'm not in my 20s anymore. I don't want to get up at the crackass of dawn on vacation anymore. I beat the sun up every morning to make a living. I don't want to do it on vacation. And I am not alone. I'd bet money on it.

Stop. Giving. Them. A. Pass.

But why do those of us who don’t see this as a big deal need to agree it is? I’m not young anymore either but up at 6 am at Disney no matter.

I agree people can be upset and not like it, and there are plenty. However, I’m good with it, will roll with it, and make it work.

And we are allowed to feel that way.

A trip to Disney is not suppose to be exclusive. It’s not like buying a Lamborghini. It was suppose to be a vacation that the average family could take.
They are starting to price out the middle class.

Also - the middle class is Disney's bread and Butter and that is not a demographic they would want to alienate. The definition of middle class varies wildly depending on your zipcode... but even taking that into consideration - ALL middle class families can afford this addition.

And you have to remember that their demographic is NOT the middle class coming every year. It's a one-in-a-generation trip for middle class. Disney does not want to make itself so low a commodity that the average middle class family goes every year - the parks could not handle it. They are not trying to compete with Six Flags and Paramount Parks. They are a destination resort, NOT a seasonal theme park. If they are hitting their demographic, a trip to WDW should require the average family to save up for it.

Is it confirmed that you would have to add it to all 8 days? or can you be selective. Also - if E-tickets are the ones you want to ride then LL should suit you well. I think having them be out of the Genie+ service is a very good way to keep the 'E-ticket' standby lines reasonable.

I am confused on the resort delivery not coming back. The absence of delivery would limit my spending significantly.
Buying all 8 days would depend upon crowd levels, wouldn't it? With the FP+ free program, you were at least assured of getting on a few of your favorite rides. Without it, that guarantee flies out the window.

But why do those of us who don’t see this as a big deal need to agree it is? I’m not young anymore either but up at 6 am at Disney no matter.

I agree people can be upset and not like it, and there are plenty. However, I’m good with it, will roll with it, and make it work.

And we are allowed to feel that way.

And that's fine, but I still contend that you are giving them a pass in letting them charge you for something that you already paid for. That's a "pass" by definition. It's fine if you're good with it. That's certainly your prerogative, but it's still giving them a pass. That's all I'm saying.

If they started making you tap your MB for $1 to get on a bus from your resort to a park, most people would be up in arms. This is EXACTLY the same thing. The only reason we don't pay for parking at the resorts now is because our contracts prohibit it and say we already do. Same thing. The only reason they didn't was because legal couldn't come up with a work-around.

And that's fine, but I still content that you are giving them a pass in letting them charge you for something that you already paid for. That's a "pass" by definition. It's fine if you're good with it. That's certainly your prerogative, but it's still giving them a pass. That's all I'm saying.

If they started making you tap your MB for $1 to get on a bus from your resort to a park, most people would be up in arms. This is EXACTLY the same thing.

And if they did, we’d go with the flow and adjust. They are a business and I am okay with the decisions because ultimately it’s up to me to either continue to support them or not. So, I don’t agree it’s giving them a pass. It’s understanding how the world works as a consumer.

As I said, we will adjust to account for the additional amount we will pay for certain parks. No one has to pay it and can do stand by. When everyone had access to FP+, people were not concerned about the FP lanes being too long so not sure why people think this will be different.

We just don’t see it the same way.

And if they did, we’d go with the flow and adjust. They are a business and I am okay with the decisions because ultimately it’s up to me to either continue to support them or not. So, I don’t agree it’s giving them a pass. It’s understanding how the world works as a consumer.

As I said, we will adjust to account for the additional amount we will pay for certain parks. No one has to pay it and can do stand by. When everyone had access to FP+, people were not concerned about the FP lanes being too long so not sure why people think this will be different.

We just don’t see it the same way.

Agreed.

On top of that, I still do not agree that it's the same thing. I have already explained that logic - not explaining it again. But in my view, you can not equate FP+ to Genie+. So it is NOT giving them a pass. I get you do not like it and I respect your opinion. However, I am not giving them a pass. I think what they are adding is justified, reasonable and provides value to me. That's not the definition of giving them a pass. So again, I do not have to agree with your opinion.

[Edit] That was not directed at you Sandi. That was at the person you were responding to.

I think there are a group of fans that are willing to accept whatever Disney decides to do-and often to praise it, even when it isn’t in their best interest. I think that tendency is particularly strong in DVC owners due to the desire we all have to believe our investment was a good idea, and that we are valued. I feel that way too. I still love Disney-especially Disneyland-and can’t imagine a time when I will stop going. But we have decided to reduce our WDW trips, which cost us much more money than DL does, and will probably not go forward with our plan to buy more WDW points. We may buy some DLT points-or may just add on some offsite days (which are fine and cheap at DL) to our VGC stays-and will probably hit WDW every few years for a few days then head to a deluxe at Universal for much less money and a much simpler experience.

What continues to astonish me is the contortions some on this board will go to to applaud things that are not in their own best interests-whether it’s increased resale restrictions or charging for all of these things that used to be free. I mean, I love supporting local restaurants and understand their costs have risen, but I’m not doing them, myself, or my community any favors if I don’t give them feedback and still continue to visit when their prices rise and their service, quantity and quality simultaneously drop.

I think there are a group of fans that are willing to accept whatever Disney decides to do-and often to praise it, even when it isn’t in their best interest. I think that tendency is particularly strong in DVC owners due to the desire we all have to believe our investment was a good idea, and that we are valued. I feel that way too. I still love Disney-especially Disneyland-and can’t imagine a time when I will stop going. But we have decided to reduce our WDW trips, which cost us much more money than DL does, and will probably not go forward with our plan to buy more WDW points. We may buy some DLT points-or may just add on some offsite days (which are fine and cheap at DL) to our VGC stays-and will probably hit WDW every few years for a few days then head to a deluxe at Universal for much less money and a much simpler experience.

What continues to astonish me is the contortions some on this board will go to to applaud things that are not in their own best interests-whether it’s increased resale restrictions or charging for all of these things that used to be free. I mean, I love supporting local restaurants and understand their costs have risen, but I’m not doing them, myself, or my community any favors if I don’t give them feedback and still continue to visit when their prices rise and their service, quantity and quality simultaneously drop.

Well, there is a difference of opinion about what is in our best interest. You look at this and say it's not in my best interest. The difference is I look at this and see it as being a good thing. I am not making that up - I really do think that if this works like they believe it will, it will have a positive affect on my Disney vacations and I have confidence that if it does not, it will likely be tweaked a bit (again, drawing from experience with FP and FP+ both of which concerned me and both of which were later adjusted).

Again, why does everyone have to think the same way? It Is unfortunate that people cant understand that everyone is different snd their interests are different.

Either way, it is what it is, at least until the end of the 50th anniversary celebration, when attendance will be high for a year to 18 months. After that, if Disney perceives a drop in resort revenue from fewer onsite guests, the system may change, or they'll offer cash resort deals.

facebook twitter