Galloway half marathon journal

You said the 1/2 training is 34 weeks? On his site it says 19? Do you know the difference? I'm starting his conditioning tomorrow and then hope to move on the 1/2 training to do the W&D 1/2 in 2013.

Maybe I should buy his book on the 1/2?

You said the 1/2 training is 34 weeks? On his site it says 19? Do you know the difference? I'm starting his conditioning tomorrow and then hope to move on the 1/2 training to do the W&D 1/2 in 2013.

Maybe I should buy his book on the 1/2?

By "this site" do you mean my schedule I posted here? I had been training for a while when I started the Galloway plan. Basically what I did was I counted how many weeks I had left until the marathon and I jumped into the training plan there. The whole schedule is 34 weeks.

I just read on the RunDisney site that the terrain for ToT includes grass and sand? Does anyone know anything about that? I am not sure I'm ready to run on sand!

Hi, I asked and apparently yes, some if it is on "natural surfaces"

A bit of a setback this week.

As I mentioned in my last post I hurt my back last week. It's still bothering me and I haven't run again all week. I'm going to the chiro today - I hope that helps as I am driving my daughter to college this weekend (a six hour drive). Luckily I was not scheduled for a long run but rather a time trial this weekend which is something I can make up. I just need to get my back in shape again!

On the weight side, my lack of running has lead to a 2 pound gain. Not great but I'm not to worried about it.

Good week.

On the weight loss side I lost the weight that I gained last week.

On the training side, I did a 7 mile run (OK, run/walk) today. My back is almost 100% better but I still took it easy. So my pace wasn't great, pretty much spot on a 15 minute mile pace. But again, I was taking it easy.

As I mentioned in my last post I skipped the time trial. I went to my chiropractor on Friday and mentioned that and he said that he thought the TT was more important than the long run (I should mention he runs marathons). He pretty much had me convinced I should definitely do the TT - even if it meant skipping the long run. So, I re-read the chapter in the Galloway book about time trials, and realized that yes, my chiropractor was right. On the other hand it looks like Galloway actually recommends more TTs than are actually in the schedule - so I plan to do one on Monday and then one at least every 2 weeks.

Also I didn't get a chance to do a proper cool-down stretch after running and I'm really feeling the pain now. I'll have to remember to not skip that.

I did my first time trial today. I was expecting somewhere between 11 and 12 minutes - I came in at 11:45. This puts my current pace at 14 minutes per mile - which honestly was about where I was at notwithstanding the back issues. Still, even though I have been saying I don't want to set myself an ultimate time goal for the half marathon (beyond avoiding being someone they have to "sweep up"), I am going back a bit on that. I would like to finish in 3 hours. That would require a pace of about 13.5 minutes for a mile. I think that's do-able.

I am doing the 19 week program that Galloway has listed on the runDisney site, this will be my first half and my only goal is to finish

Hi,

I forgot my weekly update. On the weight side I gained a pound. Oh well. On the training side I did 7 1/2 miles on Saturday maintaining a pace of 15 minutes/mile. I would like to improve that obviously. My back is better though still not 100%. 8 miles on Saturday!

John T - HootDad - http://www.thompsonfamilyweb.com - Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Again I forgot my update.

On the weight loss side I'm down a bit over 2 pounds from last week so I lost the pound I gained last week plus another pound, so that's good. Also I'm really starting to notice the difference.

My scheduled long run for this week was only 3 miles so no problems there.

I'm really starting to notice little aches an pains. I don't mind the pain, I just don't want to do any damage. So, I'm being careful. My back has improved markedly, in fact today it feels almost 100% ok. My back, my knees and Achilles' tendon are all things that I can keep in line through stretching, warming up, treating, etc. My big concern now are my feet. I have VERY bad feet. (I know, bordering on TMI). My ankles are also very week. My feet, especially my right foot, were really bothering me last week, to the point where I was wondering if I'd injured it. Well, on Saturday I scheduled myself for a deep tissue massage, mostly for my back. She ended up spending about 20 minutes on my feet as well, which she said were really messed up. What a difference! After that my feet felt fine! I'm also going to look into orthotics and I decided to put my fears aside and see a podiatrist. I'll keep this thread posted with updates. I am determined to do this!

John T - HootDad - http://www.thompsonfamilyweb.com - Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Not a good week weight wise - back up 2 pounds. But I really fell of the "weight watchers wagon" last week. I'll do better this week.

I did 8 miles on Saturday so I'm still on pace training wise. The schedule I posted said 8.5 this week and 8 next bit I think that's backwards.

I also decided to extend my short runs. I did 45 minutes - about 3 1/4 miles this morning.

I bought orthotics for my shoes. They seem yo help but my feet still hurt. Not too bad though. I'm hoping the podiatrist will set me up with something better.

Weight pretty much the same - a bit disheartening. My short runs are now about 3.25 miles. 8.5 miles for king run.

I've been very remiss posting. My weight has gone up a bit, we went to New Orleans last week and had a great time but I ate too much. Right on track with training. I did another time trial indicating I should maintain a 13:40 per mile pace - which I have not yet managed on my long runs. My lady long run was Saturday, 9 miles in 2:11, about a 14:30 pace. I'll take it though I would like to improve my time.

Hi John-

Have you considered some cross-training? It can help prevent injuries and make you stronger overall. I used biking and yoga.

My feet are super-flat. They suck water on wet bathroom floors they are so flat. I tried orthotics but they made my knees hurt, so I decided to work on strengthening my feet. I use a stretch band and do foot exercises, but what I find the best? Yoga! Surprisingly yoga works my feet the most of anything I do!

Hi John-

Have you considered some cross-training? It can help prevent injuries and make you stronger overall. I used biking and yoga.

Yep - normally I do but I have not of late because I did not want to exacerbate my back. I am going to start it back up soon (probably not this week - I'm in the final week of a play that I am in and busy with that. Once rehearsals are over I'll start cross training. There actually is a yoga class in my town clubhouse I want to look into)

Well I have been very remiss at posting to this journal. First there was Sandy and we lost power for a week, and then we lost internet for 3 weeks. Then was Thanksgiving and blah blah blah. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

On the weight loss side the batteries conveniently went out on my scale and I have not gotten around to replacing them. Still, i'm pretty sure it's remained pretty steady. Kind of disappointing but as I have written before I'm more concerned about training.

I'm now at a point in my training where I do a long one weekend followed by a shorter run the next weekend. It's funny how the "short" runs are what I would have considered a real long run a few months ago. Anyway, I'm keeping pace with the training schedule which means I ran 3 Miles on 1/27, 10 miles on 11/3 (I don't recall my time but I know I was fairly pleased), 4 miles on 11/10 and 11 miles on 11/17. The 11 mile run was a bit rough and I was not pleased with the time.

Now, on the 3rd I had to run on the school track because of all the down trees and poles from the storm. On that run I was very happy. For the 11 mile lrun on the 17th I ran 3 1/2 miles to the track, did 4 miles on the track and ran the 3 1/2 miles back. I think the reason that was so tough is because the trip to and from the track is actually quite hilly. From what I've heard I do not expect the WDW route to be nearly so hilly. So, I decided from now on to do my long runs on the track. Yeah, it's boring, but I just listen to a podcast and get right in the zone. I think it will work better for me. I'll still do the shorter runs on the road.

Last weekend I ran 5 miles - oops, I forgot to double check the schedule. I was supposed to to a time trial. So next weekend I'll do the time trial.

I feel really good! No aches and pains and my recovery after a long run (even after that torturous 11 mile run) has been quite speedy. Maybe a nap in the afternoon and I'm good to go.

I'm getting REALLY excited about this trip!

OK, so on the 1st I did a 12 mile run. It was VERY rough. First off it was very cold. I finished the run - barely. After I was done I felt like I was about to pass out. During the last mile or two I was very shaky. On top of that it was really cold and my hands were in pain they were so cold. I could barely move them. After the run I wanted to walk a lap (which I typically do) but I didn't think I could even do that. I went to my car and had trouble starting it because I couldn't grip the key. I got it started and had to sit there with the heat going for about 10 minutes before I could grip the steering wheel well enough to drive home, For the first time I thought to myself - can I do this?

So I started asking myself what went wrong. First - the cold. The first thing I did was to buy a warmer pair of gloves (I was using runners gloves which are pretty thin). I also bought a cap and a pair of long running pants.

Second - cold or not - why did it feel like the longer my runs were getting the worse I was doing? Usually in the past I felt good because I always felt that I could have gone longer if I needed to. But not this time. I knew for a fact that there was no way I could have gone any further. I was really depressed thinking I just was not going to be able to do this.

OK, so on the 8th I was scheduled for a 4 mile run. I also wanted to do the Time Trial I had missed two weeks prior, but honestly I ended up not feeling like it.

Funny side story - my wife commended me on my wit with this exchange talking about our plans for the day:

Wife: Are you running today?
Me: Just a short one. 4 miles and a time trial.
Wife: Wow! Time travel? That is so cool. Do the kids know you can time travel?
Me: I haven't told them yet. I'm going to tell them when they're 9. (They're 15 and 19)

So anyway, I continued fretting about how poorly I did on the 12 mile run and worrying about how I would do on the 13 mile run I had scheduled for the 15th. Then I had a real DUH moment. Now before you think I'm a total idiot, take into consideration that I have been working out and speed walking for years. I have never bothered to eat before I exercise. It just was not part of my routine. As my runs started getting longer I would take Goo packs with me for during the run, but I still was not eating before I left.

Anyway, during my monthly chiro appointment I was talking to my chiropractor who is also a distance runner. I told him about my 12 mile run (although I must admit I downplayed how poorly it went - the last thing I wanted was for an expert to say "maybe you shouldn't do this"). He asked how long the run took and I told him 3 hours (actually 3 hours almost to the second). He asked how many Goo packs I ate and I said "two". He said that probably was not enough for a 3 hour run - saying at least three, probably four was better. That got me to thinking - maybe not eating before my run was causing the problems? (I know - DUH!)

There is a chapter in the Galloway book about nutrition, but I was also poking around the runDisney site looking through videos and I saw a couple by the nutritionist. She talked about the importance of eating before you run and also eating right after, and talked about the right sorts of things to eat.So I thought, "OK, this may have been the problem"

So, yesterday, on the 15th I had a bowl of cereal and some fruit before my run. I still only brought 2 Goo packs because that's all I had left. What a difference! It didn't hurt that it was also warmer - a beautiful day for running in fact - but eating beforehand made all the difference in the world! Not so say I wasn't wiped out after the 13 miles - I was - but I got through it pretty easily and felt fine afterwards. NOW I am totally psyched again. I am 100% confident that I can do this now. I am ready!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter