For those that say they don't shop at Walmart ever........

I don't read the sales papers every week because I don't shop every week. When I know I'm going to be in the city/suburbs near a variety of stores, I look at the papers then to see if there is anything worth picking up, and if there is, I buy it even if I'm not running particularly low. I often stop at a half dozen stores when I'm in the city, and then go 4-6 weeks without doing anything more than grocery shopping. We have a walk in pantry, root cellar, full basement, and spare freezer - I buy in bulk, can/freeze in-season produce, get meat in bulk direct from the farm, and take a "stock up" approach with just about everything!

Wow! A lot of storage room there! Can't store near about that much!!

So you don't actually go to the sales every week. Ok, that makes more sense to me. I was envisioning all these people running from store to store buying 150 bars of soap or 20 cans of corn every time it was on sale and sticking it in every nook and cranny:rotfl:.

From your description, you live pretty far out from the city? We don't actually have a city--more of a large town and I live about 20 minutes away. Not too far, and I go weekly and would prefer to back to monthly. My biggest thing though is doing everything on that one day to save trips to town.

I have no problem with Walmart. I get most of my groceries except produce and meat there. I also get my toiletries there as well because all of these things are cheaper there. We have several different grocery store chains but Walmart beats them for most grocery items. I get meat and produce at HEB because their prices are cheaper for those products. Sometimes I may get other items if they have a discount using the in store coupon that they use. They also have Meal Deals where you have to buy the entree and you get all the sides to go with your meal free. I don't have enough time (or gas for that matter) to go to several different stores to shop.

I think it's funny because I stock about everything with the exception of meat. I might buy a bit of chicken or something if it's on sale, but for the most part, I don't like frozen meats. I'll also buy bacon and hot dogs (I really don't eat either), during a good sale because hubby loves them. Oh and I buy those boxes of 5 pounds of Icelandic haddock fillets. Hubby and I love it (kids not so much).

You and I are complete opposites when it comes to shopping.

My supervisor won't even buy meat weekly. She goes by the grocery store everyday and buys whatever she is cooking for supper that night. And she is very picky about the meat she buys, so nothing that is frozen, like bags of frozen chicken breast or the boxes of fish, etc. It has to be fresh so that she can feel it and smell it.

I have a small pantry and no cellar or basement and just a regular fridge. I really don't have the space to stock up or the time to run from store to store. Wal-Mart suits my needs best except that I don't buy meat or often produce from them. Target here is expensive so the grocery store gets my business for those.

I think that it depends on your situation and location. Wal-Mart saves us money according to our needs and yes, I have shopped around. I've done enough price checking to drive others with me a little crazy. :)

I have no problem with Walmart. I get most of my groceries except produce and meat there. I also get my toiletries there as well because all of these things are cheaper there. We have several different grocery store chains but Walmart beats them for most grocery items. I get meat and produce at HEB because their prices are cheaper for those products. Sometimes I may get other items if they have a discount using the in store coupon that they use. They also have Meal Deals where you have to buy the entree and you get all the sides to go with your meal free. I don't have enough time (or gas for that matter) to go to several different stores to shop.

In that respect, my favorite grocery store actually buys my gas for me. I wish you all this store in your area. If you did, I really think it would change the way you shop.

For anyone who is game, check this out:
http://www.giantfoodstores.com/?CFID=37062363&CFTOKEN=97293412&jsessionid=9230eae0701b1b18626dTR

Click on, savings, then go down to weekly circular. From here type in (on the left side, Altoona, then PA for the state. This is not my town, but for some reason, our town hasn't be coming up for like the past 3 weeks, so I have been checking the sales out in Altoona (which are the same as in our town). Keep the 5 mile radius, and hit search. Choose either of the 2 stores in the area and load the weekly circular for that store.

From here, just check out page 19. You can buy as many products of each category as you want. For each fulfilled obligation, you'll get $0.40 off per gallon (up to 30 gallon). You can also use coupons to reduce the prices even more. This store doubles them and very occasionally triples them to $1.50. Here are the winners this week for us.

SoBe Life water (and this is some nasty stuff, I'm trying to find a good flavor - so far unsuccessfully). 20 oz. bottle for $1.09. Save $0.40 off a gallon of gas for every 5 that you purchase. Purchase 30 for $32.70 (no coupon) and save, $2.40 per gallon for up to 30 gallon. Buy 5 more and fill up 2 vehicles that have 15 gallon tanks (gas is, $2.60 here, but you'd then have $0.20 off your next purchase).

The red tomatoes at $1.29 will get you lots of free gas too.

Then if you purchase the meat items on the right side, you buy 3 and save $0.40 per gallon, but if you take that coupon with you, you buy 3 and you'll save an additional $0.40 too.

Each $0.40 is the equivalent of $12 in gas.

If you have one of these stores around you, even if you have to drive a bit, it's so worth it to go.

My supervisor won't even buy meat weekly. She goes by the grocery store everyday and buys whatever she is cooking for supper that night. And she is very picky about the meat she buys, so nothing that is frozen, like bags of frozen chicken breast or the boxes of fish, etc. It has to be fresh so that she can feel it and smell it.

I bet there are a lot of people like that out there. Truthfully though, and I don't know why, but I actually prefer chicken after it's been frozen. As for fish, it's so expensive that the only way we'd probably buy it is to get it the way we do.

Or of course, for around $500 (probably more) per year, hubby can catch me a few pounds of bass, pike, trout, etc...:rotfl:

So, if this weekend you see in the sales papers that one store has shampoo, toothpaste and socks on sale; and another store has 3 things on sale and another store has other things on sale. Do you hit all 3 stores? Do you only get the items you are running low on or do you buy all of them because they are a good price? But, then I still go back to my original post about WalMart. If store A is running Crest toothpaste on sale for $1.50 and Walmart has it for $1.48 there is not much point in stocking up at $1.50 KWIM?

The only thing I really "stock up" on is meat. This past weekend the little store I buy meat at had pork chops $1 a pound. I bought enough to last 2-3 months (don't want pork in the freezer any longer than that). They also had roasts on sale and I bought 3. Now if they run pork chops again during that 2-3 months, I don't buy anymore until just before I run out. I do it this way because meat is perisable and I don't want it in the freezer for too long.

Well, for me it's a bit different, I'm in a major metro area so there are tons of options for groceries. Jewel (grocery store chain) is 5 minutes from my house, Meijers is 10, and Trader Joes is 20. I eat a lot of organic foods so TJ's is a must, even though it's furthest away. Also, TJ's is pretty competitive on prices, believe it or not.

TJ's does not run sales, so I go there and buy whatever it is I need each week. Besides, I buy most of my fresh foods there anyway, couldn't stock up if I wanted to. So that leaves Jewel and Meijers. Each Wednesday I look at their sales ads in the paper and see what's on sale. Some weeks one will have great deals and the other won't, so I'll only shop at one. Some weeks they both do so I go to both. And a few weeks NEITHER will have anything I want/need to buy, so I just go to TJ's. Since they are both so close to the house, even on weeks when I hit all three, it really doesn't add much to my shoping time. I have a list of the deals and just run in and grab those items. Unless its a huge week with tons of deals, I'm usually out in 15 minutes or less at each store.

I haven't priced checked WM recently, but the last time I did, their prices were either the same or slightly higher on a lot of stuff, and only a few cents lower a few things. And that's based on every day prices, not the mega deals I can get at other stores. Even if it was noticably cheaper, I still would not want to shop there as the WM's near me are dirty and crowded, with long lines, few open check outs, and employees that were indifferent at best and surly at worst. It would have to be signifigantly cheaper for it to be worth my while to go to WM on a regular basis, and it's NOT signifigantly cheaper.

Oh, and I do buy some things in bulk at Costco. Paper products, food staples I use in large quantities (organic olive oil, for example), household items, just a real mix of things. I only go to Costco when they send their coupon packs out and there are a few things I have coupons for. Other than staples, I rarely buy anything there that I don't have a coupon for, so I get savings on top of savings. I go to Costco about 4-5 times a year.

For non-grocery items (household, clothing, etc.), I usually only go out 2-3 times a year. First of all I have to need something, and once I do I watch the sale ads and look out for coupons. Once I find a deal I go out and grab it. So it's not as if I'm spending every weekend out at the mall, looking for bargins. It's just an occasional thing.

For clothing, again I live in a major metro area, I litterally have every nationally known brand available to shop at. I shop name brand (and occasionally even designer) stores clearance racks, and rarely pay full price for anything. I get most of my clothes for much less than departement stores, Target, or WM and get fantastic quality. I also buy classic styles that I can wear for years and stay away from the trendy stuff (which I don't tend to like anyway, so no hardship there). I have $80-$100 Eddie Bauer skirts that I paid $30-$40 for 7-8 years ago that I still wear each winter, they look brand new even though I wear them 3-4 times a month. Conversly, the ONE time I bought clothes at WM, they didn't make it past two wash cycles. They litterally fell apart, even following the washing instructions on the lable exactly. It was a total rip off.

For household items, I stick to Kohl's, Penney's, and Costco. Kohl's has killer sales, right now I've got a 30% off everything coupon sitting on my desk. I don't need anything, but I'll flip through the sale ad, just to make sure. In the past, I've bought many the high end kitchen appliance that way. I've gotten steals on stand mixers, food procesors, pots and pans, partyware, all sorts of things. Penney's lately has been hit and miss, other than bedding and window treatments (great selection!) I can't think of anything I've bought there recently.

WM could fall of the face of the planet and I wouldn't even notice they were gone. The times I've been in there, I have not seen anything that would make me want to shop there. The quality is bad, the stores are dirty, employees are iffy at best, and their prices in my area can be easily matched or beaten elsewhere.

Now, I know that many areas don't have as much competition, or any competition at all. I understand that other WM's are clean and well run. That's fine, but it's just not the reality in my area.

WM could fall of the face of the planet and I wouldn't even notice they were gone. The times I've been in there, I have not seen anything that would make me want to shop there. The quality is bad, the stores are dirty, employees are iffy at best, and their prices in my area can be easily matched or beaten elsewhere.

Now, I know that many areas don't have as much competition, or any competition at all. I understand that other WM's are clean and well run. That's fine, but it's just not the reality in my area.

Well, they did literally fall off the face of the country for us and I have no difference.

Interesting what you say about clothing. Clothes in Germany/France tend to be very high priced and sales are rare; outlet malls are becoming more common but they are for the very high end designers.

I buy most of my clothing in the US; like you I buy quality for low prices. I have bought pieces at Talbots for 10 dollars or 20 dollars, worn them for several years, and when I am tired of them resold them for more than I initially paid.

The reality is that everyone has different shopping habits. I don't buy 'disposable' clothing - I grew up buying quality clothes that were handed down for years and years and didn't wear out. So I tend to have fewer pieces, which cost more, but which last for a very long time. Same holds true for shoes - I may only own a half dozen pairs at a time, but they last for a very long time even with the amount of walking I do.

I understand that there are strong WalMart supporters here, but I don't understand why some seem to look down on those who shop elsewhere as if we are somehow not as intelligent or not as savvy for shopping at WalMart. I have strong personal convictions and carry those through as much as possible. Choosing where to shop is part of that.

snip

WM could fall of the face of the planet and I wouldn't even notice they were gone.

snip

I loved your post and concur with you on just about every point but this one. If Walmart fell off the face of the planet, we would ALL notice it. All those people would be in our favorite stores shopping with us. And by the looks of the Walmart parking lots, it appears that would be a LOT of people.

I don't want that, it might keep the other stores from lowering their prices for us. :rotfl:

Earlier I said I don't shop at Wal Mart because they're not close... well I went to undergrad down the block from a Wal-Mart, and I did go there on occasion for one specific thing-I love their scrubs. They're softer, more comfy, and come in a flare or boot-leg style, so they're somewhat more fashionable and I don't look like a lump wearing them. And they have ones with cargo type pockets which are very handy. They seem to be more breathable than others I have as well.

Their scrubs weren't that cheap, but they were competitively priced, although I got them much cheaper from discount type stores, but they didn't have the elastic band or the lots of pockets, or the flare cut, or soft material.

I buy quality for low prices. I have bought pieces at Talbots for 10 dollars or 20 dollars, worn them for several years, and when I am tired of them resold them for more than I initially paid.

I do that! I love getting "Talbots for Target prices"!!! I hate that they dropped girls clothing. I want clothing that lasts and you DO NOT get that Walmart or Penneys (everything pills, wears, or shrinks up) - though I do buy at Pennys and Target for my DD's basics, PJs, and around the house sweats.

Talbots I get for myself is stylish and lasts forever. Since my stuff lasts I don't HAVE to get new things for that season and can shop off season.

The Talbots I used to get for my DD would stay so nice after she outgrew them that I could sell them at garage sale or consignment and get a nice amount back for it (though not more than I paid). That's how I prefer to shop and get the most for my money.

I do that! I love getting "Talbots for Target prices"!!!

Their outlet stores can be a little scary, but after I discovered the one in Chicago years ago I try and find one when I travel in certain areas. And I love that they now have the outlet online. I find things for $10-20 which get so many compliments from people. My $15 winter coat is going into its fifth season and I have had people stop me to comment on it.

Their outlet stores can be a little scary, but after I discovered the one in Chicago years ago I try and find one when I travel in certain areas. And I love that they now have the outlet online. I find things for $10-20 which get so many compliments from people. My $15 winter coat is going into its fifth season and I have had people stop me to comment on it.

I will have to look up outlets - though with your warning!:)

I only have Talbots coats - and people wouldn't believe what I paid for them!

I thought it was widely known at this point that Walmart has a policy of losing money on new stores, supporting their loses with the profits of the whole company, in order to drive out competition in the area of a new store. It's certainly well documented (see "Big Box Swindle" for documentation and statistics). The only time Walmart's prices are consistently lower than the competition is when they have opened a new store in an area and are trying to put the competition there out of business.

Guess what else they do? They supersaturate the areas with more Walmarts than the market will support, so initially they are hiring a lot of people and offering really low prices. When they've driven out the set percentage of competitors, they close the superfluous Walmarts and all those people are on the street.

Once that point is reached, consumer watchdogs have found that Walmart's prices average higher than the going rate.

My point? You're paying less now to be absolutely certain you'll pay more from then on. And, yes, other big boxes do this as well, though none have the financial pull to do it to the degree that Walmart does.

::yes::

The prices at our local walmarts are no better than anywhere else especially when you consider the quality differences.

I loved your post and concur with you on just about every point but this one. If Walmart fell off the face of the planet, we would ALL notice it. All those people would be in our favorite stores shopping with us. And by the looks of the Walmart parking lots, it appears that would be a LOT of people.

I don't want that, it might keep the other stores from lowering their prices for us. :rotfl:

:) that's true, I hadn't thought about it that way.

I should clarify that it's not that I want WM to go out of business, they do employ a lot of people, and many people do find they save a lot of money at WM's vs. other options in their area. Or, WM is the ONLY option for them. I'm just saying that for my personal shopping needs, WM isn't even on my radar.

I live near a Talbot's outlet that's every bit as nice as any department store in the mall.

It's odd - they have many which are really clean and organized, sizes are in the correct place, things are tidy, and then others which have concrete floors/ceilings and are just a mess. I've been in great ones and some really odd ones in many states. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency, and sometimes the small town ones are much nicer. I have no idea why!

I am so happy about this thread. I was recently shopping at WM for many weeks because my wife and I just moved and we didn't know much about the groceries around here. Not to mention we were trying to cut back because of the moving costs. I had always assumed that WalMart had the best prices, but from what you are posting, that isn't the case.

Now I am going to explore the area around here to see what other grocery stores I can choose from to get a good deal. Thanks Disers ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter