"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

I will be driving from NW Ohio to Orlando this June. My plan is to leave on Thursday around 6pm, drive about 6 hours and then stop for the night with plans to arrive in Orlando Friday evening. I don't need to be in Orlando at any specific time on Friday. I like to leave after work and get on the road so I don't waste a vacation day traveling. I am debating if I want to take 75 straight down or take an eastern route and end up on 77 to 95. The time difference is about 45 mins more but it avoids Atlanta. I should mention I will be driving a 12 passenger van and hauling 6 teenage boys. I am totally comfortable driving either route and will be the only driver although my husband will be along for the ride, as will my boys and half of our neighborhood! Always a fun adventure!

I will be driving from NW Ohio to Orlando this June. My plan is to leave on Thursday around 6pm, drive about 6 hours and then stop for the night with plans to arrive in Orlando Friday evening. I don't need to be in Orlando at any specific time on Friday. I like to leave after work and get on the road so I don't waste a vacation day traveling. I am debating if I want to take 75 straight down or take an eastern route and end up on 77 to 95. The time difference is about 45 mins more but it avoids Atlanta. I should mention I will be driving a 12 passenger van and hauling 6 teenage boys. I am totally comfortable driving either route and will be the only driver although my husband will be along for the ride, as will my boys and half of our neighborhood! Always a fun adventure!

I live in Northern Kentucky, just across the river from Cincinnati. I'm very familiar with the 75-Turnpike route. Not-so-much with the 77-26-95-4 route, although we have driven from Asheville to Orlando via the 26-95-4 route.

Let's assume you'll take the I-75 route. Timing is a main key. You'll want to make sure you get through Atlanta between 10 AM and 2 PM on Friday. Anytime after 2, and you'll be caught up in Friday rush hour.

From my house, it's four hours to Knoxville. If you're coming out of the Lima area, and you don't mind driving through the mountains close to midnight, that wouldn't be a bad place to stop I'd stop just south, so you wouldn't be caught up in rush hour traffic. However, if you're coming from the Toledo area or you're adverse to mountains late at night, I'd stop in Jellico. That's right before the mountains, but it's about 45 minutes north of Knoxville.

I don't know how much sleep you need, plus getting the boys up in the morning. I'll assume 8 hours of sleep plus another hour to get ready. You should be on the road no later than 9 if you're leaving from Jellico. That will put you in Atlanta about 1 to 1:30. If you're leaving from Knoxville, you might be able to leave at 9:30. That includes gassing up the van, feeding the boys (snacks in the car are great) and biological breaks.

Stretch and eat a good, long lunch south of Atlanta, get back on the road about 2:30-3:00 and you'll be checking in about 8:30-9:00.

Good luck.

I live in Northern Kentucky, just across the river from Cincinnati. I'm very familiar with the 75-Turnpike route. Not-so-much with the 77-26-95-4 route, although we have driven from Asheville to Orlando via the 26-95-4 route.

Let's assume you'll take the I-75 route. Timing is a main key. You'll want to make sure you get through Atlanta between 10 AM and 2 PM on Friday. Anytime after 2, and you'll be caught up in Friday rush hour.

From my house, it's four hours to Knoxville. If you're coming out of the Lima area, and you don't mind driving through the mountains close to midnight, that wouldn't be a bad place to stop I'd stop just south, so you wouldn't be caught up in rush hour traffic. However, if you're coming from the Toledo area or you're adverse to mountains late at night, I'd stop in Jellico. That's right before the mountains, but it's about 45 minutes north of Knoxville.

I don't know how much sleep you need, plus getting the boys up in the morning. I'll assume 8 hours of sleep plus another hour to get ready. You should be on the road no later than 9 if you're leaving from Jellico. That will put you in Atlanta about 1 to 1:30. If you're leaving from Knoxville, you might be able to leave at 9:30. That includes gassing up the van, feeding the boys (snacks in the car are great) and biological breaks.

Stretch and eat a good, long lunch south of Atlanta, get back on the road about 2:30-3:00 and you'll be checking in about 8:30-9:00.

Good luck.

Thank you, I will be leaving from the Toledo area. I am not too worried about driving through the mountains at night. I am more worried about getting through Atlanta. It's like Chicago you never really know what to expect. I will add that Cincinnati isn't my favorite city to pass through either. I think there has been construction on I-75 my whole entire life when I drive through Cincinnati. If it is raining you might as well plan on a long delay.

Thank you for the information on where to stay. I keep playing with how far I want to get the first night, this helps me determine what time to leave the hotel Friday morning. Getting 6 boys out the door on my timeline will be the challenge of my week.

Funny you mention this and I just got back from a trip starting in NW Ohio. I do see the 77-95 route when I map the trip but never have taken it.

On the way down I hit Atlanta after 3 and it took awhile to get through, but wasn't too bad since you can use the car pool lane. But even that lane was backed up. On the way home, it was a Saturday and easier but still busy.

I've made lots of trips to Florida but have only ever used the I-75 route. Other than Atlanta, it is a pretty easy drive.

If you go the I-75 route, I would suggest this book: https://www.i75online.com/I75BookInfo.html. It really helps trying to find nice exits to plan to stop at and to learn more about the drive.

Good luck!

Thank you, I will be leaving from the Toledo area. I am not too worried about driving through the mountains at night. I am more worried about getting through Atlanta. It's like Chicago you never really know what to expect. I will add that Cincinnati isn't my favorite city to pass through either. I think there has been construction on I-75 my whole entire life when I drive through Cincinnati. If it is raining you might as well plan on a long delay.

Thank you for the information on where to stay. I keep playing with how far I want to get the first night, this helps me determine what time to leave the hotel Friday morning. Getting 6 boys out the door on my timeline will be the challenge of my week.

I will say that Cincinnati was my least favorite city to pass through on the drive, but the construction is finished up and it was very easy to get through on this trip last week.

I will say that Cincinnati was my least favorite city to pass through on the drive, but the construction is finished up and it was very easy to get through on this trip last week.
Construction finished in Cincinnati?? It can't be!! This is music to my ears. I think Cincinnati is more frustrating that Atlanta because you expect the backups in Atlanta. With Cincinnati being on the border it's a mile stone of the trip and it is just so frustrating to sit in traffic!! Either way as long as we make it to Orlando I will be happy!

Beginning of May we'll be driving back to New Hampshire from WDW. We plan on stopping at DVC Hilton Head for a few days. We're leaving WDW on a Saturday around 11AM. Any thoughts as to whether 417 to 528 to I-95 or I-4 to I-95 would be faster? I'm trying to weigh the probable I-4 congestion against the additional distance taking the Bee Line east. TIA!

Beginning of May we'll be driving back to New Hampshire from WDW. We plan on stopping at DVC Hilton Head for a few days. We're leaving WDW on a Saturday around 11AM. Any thoughts as to whether 417 to 528 to I-95 or I-4 to I-95 would be faster? I'm trying to weigh the probable I-4 congestion against the additional distance taking the Bee Line east. TIA!
After living in central Florida for a year and 14 miles from World Drive, other than going right outside our neighborhood gates, one light to Lowes or two lights away to the gas station, I have my GPS plugged in. I use the google maps app on my phone, it is set for the fastest route using highways and toll roads. It will take you the fastest way.
There has been times I didn’t follow it and sat in traffic. So, from now on I trust the GPS. Lol
Traffic changes around here in a matter of minutes. You can drive down I4, pass an on ramp that is backed up for a mile, come back up I4 an hour later and the on ramp is clear. I take my car to a car dealership about 50 minutes away. I have been there five times with two different cars and I don’t think I ever went the same twice, it all depends what’s going on at that time.
I use 417 a lot, sometimes its 80 mph, no traffic, other times your hitting the brakes and going 50. There is a lot of construction on 417 but generally, it moves nicely.
I was coming home from Sanford airport one night at 11pm and sat on 417 for 45 minutes. I was over doing my laps this morning and heard on the radio 417 was crawling, others times smooth sailing.

I agree on the frustration of Cinci!
We start a little earlier and a little farther north than you and we have stuck to the I-75 route. We have found the Hampton Inn in Williamsburg, KY to be adequate, the one in Corbin to be a bit nicer but with thinner walls. With 6 boys the option of grabbing 30 miniboxes of fruit loops and some hard boiled eggs from the free breakfast may be helpful.
We usually stop for Starbucks (hotel coffee is not awesome), and make Williamsburg it to ATL in ~4.5 hours. At that point it could be an hour to go 15 miles south of the city, or it could be 20 minutes.

Hello fellow 2000+ mile family. After countless drives up and down the east coast since eight years old (1973) we decided a year ago to just not drive home anymore, sold the house and move fourteen miles from the mouse. Countless drives moving including a uhaul trip to Florida, a few bumps along the way, we bought our dream home here in Florida. Waited just about my entire life and DW waited over 30 years to become a Florida resident and six months ago, we finalized all of those dreams.
I took my retirement in March of 2021 to make all these dreams become a reality. After moving, fixing up our house to make it ours, I have become very bored.
So, I started my search for a part time job In February. I really didn’t know what I wanted to do, I’ve been in the same trade for 40 years and I wanted a change.
Started the application process and after two web base interviews, my first interview in thirty years, much less a zoom interview and a second interview,
I was offered a job at the happiest place on earth.
Last night I completed the acceptance process of the employment offer.
Sooooooooo….. I will be working for a mouse!!!
I am more than ecstatic!!! After I am onboarded, through testing and traditions and settled in, I’ll give you more details!!
Fill you in soon and remember, while driving, keep the shiny side up!

I was offered a job at the happiest place on earth.
Last night I completed the acceptance process of the employment offer.
Sooooooooo….. I will be working for a mouse!!!
I am more than ecstatic!!! After I am onboarded, through testing and traditions and settled in, I’ll give you more details!!

Best wishes in the new job. I hope the position is not driving customers from PA to WDW along 95 during rush hour times!

So, today is my last day as a civilian, tomorrow I’m official! Lol
It was only fitting I would go into transportation. No, not a bus driver.
I actually got monorail but I would have to wait list and wait for a job to open.
so, I went into another line of work.
I can’t wait to get started!!!

Wonderful! Wishing you a magical second career!

Will you will working at a specific location?

And I am curious, are you able to be on the monorail waitlist?
No and no. Lol. Monorail is pretty intense. I have a new respect for the people on the monorail. A lot to know, a lot of training, a lot of memorization.

I actually got monorail but I would have to wait list and wait for a job to open.
Congratulations! You'll have to wear a flower in you lapel so I'll recognize you in November! 😅

Dang, I had you pegged for a resort-to-park boat captain. Guess that has a waitlist too.

First day of work tomorrow!!
I have never been so happy to start a job in my life !! Lol
Keep your window up driving, it seems there is a new fad, game whatever you want to call it. They are shooting some kind of gel pellets with an air gun.
They just arrested a kid for shooting a school official in the face several times in Seminole County.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter