"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

THE OLD MAN STILL HAS IT !!!
Pulled out of the driveway around 3:10am, turned the wipers on and smudged a big ice streak across the window!! Looked like the Zamboni drove over it. Lol Did I mention where I live? Anyway
Pulled out my old mileage/ time breakdown and noticed I live 14 miles south and west of when I use to use my schedule.
Got on I4, drove right through Orlando, place is starting to look pretty good. Hit the Georgia state line and I was ten minutes behind. Lol No traffic at all, in fact bent the speed limit law a bit. Got gas in Georgia and hit the South Carolina welcome center at 7:30am. I managed to pick up some time.
Im at a hotel near Roanoke Virginia and that was the easiest trip so far I ever made. I didn’t hit the breaks once because of traffic.
I95/i26/I77 and I81 so far, nothing.
Im hitting the road at 3am again tomorrow and have about another 5 1/2 hours to go to the Lehigh Valley.
Not even gone 24 hours and I miss the green grass, the green trees, flowers and the palm trees and the blue skies of home.
Snow pilled up in Virginia, cold wind and grey skies, now I remember why we sold it all and moved next to the mouse.
Staying at a friends house tomorrow night, picking my mother in law up at 5 am and heading back south. Have a reservation at Walterboro Sc, she 79, I don’t know if she can drive as long as I can without a stretch.
(anyone else have that vision of the movie Vacation and aunt Edna wrapped up tied to the roof?……. No……….. me neither. Lol
Ill keep you posted on the rest of the next part of the marathon. Lol
Take care and keep the shinny side up!!

Hi

Thinking of taking 81 from Essex County NJ instead of 95 in mid February.... Can anyone tell me how a kid with motion sickness would do with this route? The mountain, scenic description is having me worried. Also what kind of rest stops are there? Hotels? Sorry, I tried searching the forums but didn't have great success.

For reference, there has been queasiness on ct-15 and the sawmill parkway before.... But 684/84 has been pretty successful...

Thanks!

Hi

Thinking of taking 81 from Essex County NJ instead of 95 in mid February.... Can anyone tell me how a kid with motion sickness would do with this route? The mountain, scenic description is having me worried. Also what kind of rest stops are there? Hotels? Sorry, I tried searching the forums but didn't have great success.

For reference, there has been queasiness on ct-15 and the sawmill parkway before.... But 684/84 has been pretty successful...

Thanks!
The mountains are to the sides of the road. This is not a twisty turny kind of ride. 95 is like riding in a tunnel of trees. Rt81 is open all around you with beautiful mountain views. Only one area to be careful of...Fancy Gap on Rt77. Stay in middle or right lane. Steep decline for a little bit. I always prefer 81-77-26-95 and I leave from essex county too.

But be aware of the weather in February. This route is a higher attitude than 95. The past few storms we've had it seams inland was hit harder than the coast.

The mountains are to the sides of the road. This is not a twisty turny kind of ride. 95 is like riding in a tunnel of trees. Rt81 is open all around you with beautiful mountain views. Only one area to be careful of...Fancy Gap on Rt77. Stay in middle or right lane. Steep decline for a little bit. I always prefer 81-77-26-95 and I leave from essex county too.

But be aware of the weather in February. This route is a higher attitude than 95. The past few storms we've had it seams inland was hit harder than the coast.
Thank you! Supposedly it's supposed to get a little milder as far as storms go at the beginning of February. From the weather person I follow on Facebook, they said it might start up again mid February, but I'm hoping thats wrong. Definitely monitoring it though and will likely take 95 if there's a recent storm.

Do you do the trip over 2 days? Where is a good place for an overnight break, or even breaks for rest during the trip?

I usually stop 2 nights for many reasons (I have the time, I visit with family before day 1 at WDW and I don't like getting to WDW exhausted.) I tend towards Hampton Inn but others on this thread like other hotels. Places I've stayed more than once include Stanton Va, Dublin VA, Jonesville/Elkin NC, Walterboro SC, Santee, SC, Palm Coast Fl, and the New Flamingo Crossings area in FL. Places I wouldn't stay again include Savannah I-95 South, Rocky Mount NC (rt95). I usually take Rt 95 home.

Thank you! Supposedly it's supposed to get a little milder as far as storms go at the beginning of February. From the weather person I follow on Facebook, they said it might start up again mid February, but I'm hoping thats wrong. Definitely monitoring it though and will likely take 95 if there's a recent storm.

Do you do the trip over 2 days? Where is a good place for an overnight break, or even breaks for rest during the trip?
Also. I use I-Exit app for what's at each exit and for Rest Stops. And I keep WAZE running and follow any detours. Waze has helped me avoid traffic numerous times!

Also. I use I-Exit app for what's at each exit and for Rest Stops. And I keep WAZE running and follow any detours. Waze has helped me avoid traffic numerous times!
Thank you. I was unaware of this app and will definitely download it. I have used google maps in the past after using Waze first, but recently switched back to Waze because it seems to run smoother than google maps

THE OLD MAN STILL HAS IT !!!
Pulled out of the driveway around 3:10am, turned the wipers on and smudged a big ice streak across the window!! Looked like the Zamboni drove over it. Lol Did I mention where I live? Anyway
Pulled out my old mileage/ time breakdown and noticed I live 14 miles south and west of when I use to use my schedule.
Got on I4, drove right through Orlando, place is starting to look pretty good. Hit the Georgia state line and I was ten minutes behind. Lol No traffic at all, in fact bent the speed limit law a bit. Got gas in Georgia and hit the South Carolina welcome center at 7:30am. I managed to pick up some time.
Im at a hotel near Roanoke Virginia and that was the easiest trip so far I ever made. I didn’t hit the breaks once because of traffic.
I95/i26/I77 and I81 so far, nothing.
Im hitting the road at 3am again tomorrow and have about another 5 1/2 hours to go to the Lehigh Valley.
Not even gone 24 hours and I miss the green grass, the green trees, flowers and the palm trees and the blue skies of home.
Snow pilled up in Virginia, cold wind and grey skies, now I remember why we sold it all and moved next to the mouse.
Staying at a friends house tomorrow night, picking my mother in law up at 5 am and heading back south. Have a reservation at Walterboro Sc, she 79, I don’t know if she can drive as long as I can without a stretch.
(anyone else have that vision of the movie Vacation and aunt Edna wrapped up tied to the roof?……. No……….. me neither. Lol
Ill keep you posted on the rest of the next part of the marathon. Lol
Take care and keep the shinny side up!!

I'm beginning to worry... did you survive the drive back with the mother-in-law? ;-)

We stay in Orangeburg, SC. Lots of chain hotels to choose from at the exit. Gets us past Charlotte and Columbia with six hours for the next day. Avoid the local (not a chain) hotel with rave reviews -- they must be fake reviews, worst hotel I have ever been in.

Sorry, I’m home! Had a great trip north and south. No traffic to speak of, even 419 at rush hour on Thursday morning. I arrived arrived in the Lehigh Valley at 9am, did visiting and loaded the car at my mother in law’s. Picked her up Wednesday morning at 4 am, we had a nice time. Drove to Walterboro Sc, I could of finished the ride to home but she had enough. We ate, got gas and we got into the hotel and she went to bed. Lol
left Walterboro a little after 3am and got home at 8:30 am.
So that’s it my friends, unless something unexpected comes up, my driving trips are done. My trips north now will consist of driving to Sanford airport.
I really enjoyed that trip, I enjoyed being on the road again, the welcome centers, getting gas, the sites. Watching mile markers click down and click up.
I may have to go back north in the next few months, get our tax’s done. I’m trying to talk my wife into letting me drive but not looking too good. Lol

Welcome back! Hopefully, we can all get together soon, especially when the night time temps remain warmer.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Welcome back! Hopefully, we can all get together soon, especially when the night time temps remain warmer.

Thanks BC, yes, we have to do a fireworks cruise. B wants to go along, of course. Waiting for her to come home from vacation. Lol
Her best friend from when she did the Disney College Program sone nine years ago already is in town and they have staying in a cabin over in Wilderness Lodge. It’s like camping in your back yard. Lol

Thanks BC, yes, we have to do a fireworks cruise. B wants to go along, of course. Waiting for her to come home from vacation. Lol
Her best friend from when she did the Disney College Program sone nine years ago already is in town and they have staying in a cabin over in Wilderness Lodge. It’s like camping in your back yard. Lol

And we'll bring the RR!

How can it be NINE years ago already?

How can it be NINE years ago already?
Yes, it’s hard to believe. She is going to be 29 on Saturday.
I walk in the mornings, the parks and also the Springs. Her trainer from when she worked in the Magic Kingdom now works in the Springs. He sees me all the time and goes out of his way to flag me down. Lol. He calls me pops. Lol
Hes a great “kid”, he always watched out for B. Every day he would walk into the break room and ask her who’s @$$ do I have to kick for you today. Lol
Hes about 6’ 5” 280 pounds. His hands are about as big as my head. Lol
He keeps trying to get her to come back, she just laughs and tells him they can’t afford her. Lol
One night after the Magic Kingdom was closed, he let her drive the golf cart up Main Street, around the hub and back to the train station. She said she will never forget that. There are still people here that when they see her, stop her and ask how things are going.

Yes, it’s hard to believe. She is going to be 29 on Saturday.
I walk in the mornings, the parks and also the Springs. Her trainer from when she worked in the Magic Kingdom now works in the Springs. He sees me all the time and goes out of his way to flag me down. Lol. He calls me pops. Lol
Hes a great “kid”, he always watched out for B. Every day he would walk into the break room and ask her who’s @$$ do I have to kick for you today. Lol
Hes about 6’ 5” 280 pounds. His hands are about as big as my head. Lol
He keeps trying to get her to come back, she just laughs and tells him they can’t afford her. Lol
One night after the Magic Kingdom was closed, he let her drive the golf cart up Main Street, around the hub and back to the train station. She said she will never forget that. There are still people here that when they see her, stop her and ask how things are going.

I'm so happy that she could find her career in Orlando, close to the magic but not in the parks.

I remember, about eight years ago, her pondering a decision to work at WDW full time. I advised her against it. After working at a theme park for three summers in college, I felt the magic went away. I didn't want the Disney magic to go away for her.

Funny thing is, my niece now works full time at the same theme park. She seems to enjoy it.

Its been a few years since I made the long round trip, but am planning it again.

I read on some other threads about EZ Pass now in Florida. Is this all I will need for a trip to WDW on I-75? In the past I had to put money on on a Sun Pass and figure out the tolls... If its all EZ Pass that works great for me! That is the system I have from traveling in the Midwest (Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana.)

Thanks!

Its been a few years since I made the long round trip, but am planning it again.

I read on some other threads about EZ Pass now in Florida. Is this all I will need for a trip to WDW on I-75? In the past I had to put money on on a Sun Pass and figure out the tolls... If its all EZ Pass that works great for me! That is the system I have from traveling in the Midwest (Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana.)

Thanks!
EZ Pass works along I-75 except in GA. That is supposed to be integrated at some point but was not as of December 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter