Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

Punkrockbebop

Namaste! Be excellent to each other.
So, we went on FoP on a FP+ on Tuesday, and my BF had problems fitting his legs into the bike. The cast member got the restraint in on his back, but then really had to push to get the restraint to click closed on his calves. BF said the bike was uncomfortable and he was worried he would injure his back, which had been hurting him, but I told him to just relax forward, and he was fine.

We loved the ride and wanted to try a second time during EMH, since the line time went down. We waited over an hour, and when it was our turn, the cast member who fitted the restraints couldn't fit the calves and gave up more easily than the former cast member, and turned BF away. We were crushed. They didn't even offer him a FP to make up for it.

I don't know how much he weighs (300 lbs maybe?), but the main problem was actually his tall legs and big calves. He's never not been able to ride a ride before.

So much work and intricate planning went into every detail of this land, from the forced perspective, to the crazy flora, to hand-weaving, hand-painted murals, all the cool "scientific" technical gack on the FoP line, how the walls feel when people lean on them or touch them on the line of Navi River Journey, to the detail of feeling the banshee "breathe" on FoP. I am pretty shocked that they overlooked such a big detail such as making it possible for many different body types to ride this ride. I mean, the restraints aren't really all that necessary as far as I can see. You tilt way forward at times and you tilt to the side at times. It's largely VR. They can't make the seats more adjustable, or at least make bigger bikes or seats for bigger people? This is a huge gaffe, and really unfair.

Also, I noticed they put a bike outside of the ride "to try", but it wouldn't prevent you waiting on the long line for nothing, because there is no indication of the restraints. My BF fit fine on the bike.

Last edited:
Also, I noticed they put a bike outside of the ride "to try", but it wouldn't help prevent you waiting on the long line for nothing, because there is no indication of the restraints. My BF fit fine on the bike.
The restraints are present on the test seat. A CM needs to activate them manually.

Pandora-Test-Seat-Collage.jpg

Huh didn't notice that, but still, how embarrassing to have to try to be fitted in front of a whole line of people.

Ugh I noticed I misspelled disappointing in the title...no way to edit it.

I don't think it's that embarrassing, it's not like anyone who is that big is really hiding their size in public. I think it's worse to wait in line and then get into a theater and then be told you can't fit.

I don't think it's that embarrassing, it's not like anyone who is that big is really hiding their size in public. I think it's worse to wait in line and then get into a theater and then be told you can't fit.

It's absurd and false to say that someone shouldn't be embarrassed because they appear that way in public all the time. I can assure you, many big people do suffer embarrassment on a regular basis.

It's absurd and false to say that someone shouldn't be embarrassed because they appear that way in public all the time. I can assure you, many big people do suffer embarrassment on a regular basis.

But look at the situation, Disney isn't changing the ride so they only have 2 options. They can try the seat outside or risk being kicked out of the ride after waiting in line. Which is better?

But look at the situation, Disney isn't changing the ride so they only have 2 options. They can try the seat outside or risk being kicked out of the ride after waiting in line. Which is better?

WDW actually does have a history of "changing the ride" in recent years.

When they first opened Expedition Everest, the restraint bars could not accommodate larger-sized guests.
They (very quickly, actually) completely redesigned the bar locking system so that
it could latch at a multitude of different positions.

Huh didn't notice that, but still, how embarrassing to have to try to be fitted in front of a whole line of people.

Ugh I noticed I misspelled disappointing in the title...no way to edit it.

They didn't really think through where that seat should be located.. directly in everyones pictures of the mountains was a huge fail... but as a heavier person, I know I'm heavy, I know I might not be able to ride.. I'm also taller and there's more than a few disney rides I need to get in very specific or I will not fit.. It's more in your head and how much of a big deal your family makes of the situation.. I'd rather know if I'm wasting 3-6 hours in line and get a clear view of the seat to know how to sit in it than not get in because it took too much time in the room.

but with that said, If he's tall and 300ish pounds, that makes him smaller than me and I can ride it and get locked in no problem. I suspect the issue might be how he has his feet positioned and it's a very confusing seat if your taller and to be honest, there is no actual reason they need to lock your feet into place except to force you to feel the banshee breathing.. This isn't going to help now but I have to lift my heals a little more for it to lock and then I can relax into position.

They have changed the seat since preview. The back restraint used to force everyone to lean forward.. It's been slightly altered to lock in further back now and some have mentioned how they seem to be able to sit more comfortable now..

The leg restraint makes no sense, it wont' be long until they just disable it. The back restraint is to make sure you can't jump out of your seat suddenly as your on a moving floor with a ledge in front of you.. The leg restraint, I can't think of any reason other than forcing you to feel the banshee breathing to have it.

WDW actually does have a history of "changing the ride" in recent years.

When they first opened Expedition Everest, the restraint bars could not accommodate larger-sized guests.
They (very quickly, actually) completely redesigned the bar locking system so that
it could latch at a multitude of different positions.

Maybe falsely assuming, but if they shut down the ride to make this adjustment/re-design, i would think it would cause quite the uproar.

I guess I should have been more clear, if you're at Pandora right now what are you going to do? That's when the options are try the seat out front or wait and hope for the best at the actual ride seat.

I have to agree. The test seat is there to prevent you from wasting your time. Who would want to wait in line only to be told you can't ride? Isn't it better to know in advance?

If a fat person walks up & cannot fit into the seat, why would anyone care? They didn't appear thin when they walked up and were then suddenly revealed as a fat person. You appear the same size to everyone both before and after. If someone hassles you for being fat, they're a jerk, and who cares about their opinion anyway?

I had seen posts about this. I was in AK the day pandora opened. The fact that this ride probably wouldn't accommodate me was a major factor in my decision not to bother waiting in the line to get into Pandora.

I'm not embarrassed to try the seat out front, however I've been in that situation before elsewhere and people passing by don't even bother whispering while they are making fun of you ( some not all of course) is it worth getting upset by rude people? Nope.

Maybe falsely assuming, but if they shut down the ride to make this adjustment/re-design, i would think it would cause quite the uproar.

Yes this could be fixed easily vs Everest by using this method. BUT it could be very costly depending on what they will have to do to these seats, would there be restructuring?

Is my memory correct that when Universal has run in to these issues they just changed a few seats on rides, and directs those parties to those locations? This might be a viable option where there may be a new seat in each grouping or on each floor, that could accommodate guests who need it with the minimal impact to down time or costs.

Unlike say Everest where the line moves fast and there is no time to "think", the FoP line moves slow and groups are hand picked for specific theaters. This would not impact operation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter