First time questions...

disney minnie

DIS Veteran
This will be our first time to Disneyland and California. We fly into the John Wayne airport at 10:30 am and are staying at the Grand Californian in a standard room.

I was thinking we would take Uber or Lyft to the hotel. Is one better than the other?

On the way I was thinking we might stop by an in/out for food since I’m sure everyone will be hungry and we don’t want to start the trip grumpy. If ther is not one on the way we can always do this later.

Then I wanted to go to the grocery for a few snacks, water and alcohol to have in the room so we don’t have to pay a premium for all drinks. Where would we go?

We will have all of our luggage so I’m trying to figure out how to make all this work on the way or if we need a different plan.

At Disney World you can purchase a cup to refill at the hotel for the length of your stay. Is that available at Disneyland?

When we leave to go stay in LA for a few days after Disneyland we are going to rent a car. Are there good rental options near the hotel that you have used?

Thank you for all of your help.

Last edited:
This will be our first time to Disneyland and California. We fly into the John Wayne airport at 10:30 am and are staying at the Grand Floridian in a standard room.

I was thinking we would take Uber or Lyft to the hotel. Is one better than the other?

On the way I was thinking we might stop by an in/out for food since I’m sure everyone will be hungry and we don’t want to start the trip grumpy. If ther is not one on the way we can always do this later.

Then I wanted to go to the grocery for a few snacks, water and alcohol to have in the room so we don’t have to pay a premium for all drinks. Where would we go?

We will have all of our luggage so I’m trying to figure out how to make all this work on the way or if we need a different plan.

At Disney World you can purchase a cup to refill at the hotel for the length of your stay. Is that available at Disneyland?

When we leave to go stay in LA for a few days after Disneyland we are going to rent a car. Are there good rental options near the hotel that you have used?

I assume you mean GCH and not GF. With Uber and Lyft they are basically the same. I typically check both and go with whoever had cheaper pricing. For in n out and the grocery store, if you are relying on Lyft/Uber, I would drop your luggage at the hotel and then go back out. There are lots of options in the area including target and Walmart. We do not have refillable mugs here. Alamo has a location in the paradise pier hotel and another one on katella. There is also a hertz on katella.

Yes, Californian... sorry so used to Disney World.

Thanks for the Uber/Lyft info. In our area each town is different but I s do usually check prices in bigger cities.

Is there a location for in/out that is best? Is there an actual grocery store?

Yes, Californian... sorry so used to Disney World.

Thanks for the Uber/Lyft info. In our area each town is different but I s do usually check prices in bigger cities.

Is there a location for in/out that is best? Is there an actual grocery store?
Smart and final, Vons, and Ralph’s are all within a 5 mile radius of the resort. There are 2 nearby-ish. There’s one in fullerton and the other is in Anaheim at ball rd and state college blvd. I’m not sure which one is better since I don’t eat that kind of food.

If you also look at Lansky's Car Service for your airport transportation, they include a short grocery stop on the way to your hotel. Otherwise, I agree with the pp that you should look at the prices for Uber and Lyft and go with the lower rate. (Will you need car seats or boosters? Neither Uber nor Lyft provide those. Lansky's does, upon request.) The In'N'Out at Ball Rd. and State College is the closest to the parks and is right next to a Walmart supermarket. That might kill two birds with one stone for you. Drop off your bags at the hotel, get one ride to In'N'Out. Enjoy your lunch. (That location has a super friendly crew!) Then walk to the Walmart supermarket. Pick up whatever you need and get your ride back to the hotel.

I don’t want to pay for a car that we aren’t going to use the 4 days we are Disneyland and also pay to park at the hotel.

If you also look at Lansky's Car Service for your airport transportation, they include a short grocery stop on the way to your hotel. Otherwise, I agree with the pp that you should look at the prices for Uber and Lyft and go with the lower rate. (Will you need car seats or boosters? Neither Uber nor Lyft provide those. Lansky's does, upon request.) The In'N'Out at Ball Rd. and State College is the closest to the parks and is right next to a Walmart supermarket. That might kill two birds with one stone for you. Drop off your bags at the hotel, get one ride to In'N'Out. Enjoy your lunch. (That location has a super friendly crew!) Then walk to the Walmart supermarket. Pick up whatever you need and get your ride back to the hotel.
Children are 19 and 14 so we don’t need car seats.

Use lanksy’s. They are so wondering. Worth the cost. They stop at the store on your way.

Then hit up DTD for some food! Because your used to WDW you may not realize just how close the grand is going to be to everything. You will have not trouble finding something to eat within walking distance of it.

This will be our first time to Disneyland and California. We fly into the John Wayne airport at 10:30 am and are staying at the Grand Californian in a standard room.

I use Lyft. While it may or may not be true, I think I heard at one point that there's a little more vetting and extra hoops Lyft drivers have to go through to be approved. And, I know it sounds like a weak argument, I feel like when I hear something bad happening around ride-sharing, they say Uber, and I don't hear Lyft. Are some of the Lyft? Maybe. But that killer was an Uber, and the recent "fake puke to charge $150 surcharge for a ride" was an Uber, so... Lyft it is. Also, some airlines give miles for Lyft or Uber rides as well; Jet Blue has a partnership with Lyft to do this. All this being said, I've also done a taxi to our hotel from SNA, and it's quick and easy, and about $45 each way. More expensive than Uber and Lyft during non-peak hours, but no waiting if there isn't a driver nearby :)

Remember that if you do a taxi, Uber, or Lyft, you'll need to finish that ride, and then request a new ride when you are done eating. Uber/Lyft/taxis won't go through the drive through for you. (Not sure if that's what you were thinking or not, but people have asked about it before.)

If you were doing the In-N-Out and grocery runs via Uber/Lyft before going to the hotel, then you'd be needing to take it with you. I suppose a taxi driver may be willing to wait with your luggage in the taxi, but I'm fairly certain it's like $1/minute when they are stuck waiting for you. Personally, I would Lyft to the hotel, drop off your stuff, check-in (if room isn't ready, they will hold your luggage), then Lyft to In-N-Out, eat lunch, Lyft to Walmart/Target/Food4Less for snacks/alcohol/water, and then Lyft back to the hotel.

Nope. (I think they did several years ago, but that's no help now.)

Avis is at Paradise Peir. I believe there are 1 or 2 more rentals on Katella.

Did I read some where that Disney does offer a hotel shuttle for $25? Disney World's shuttle service is free, but since you're going to pay for uber/lyft anyways..

Did I read some where that Disney does offer a hotel shuttle for $25? Disney World's shuttle service is free, but since you're going to pay for uber/lyft anyways..
Are you perhaps thinking of the Minnie Vans at WDW? DLR doesn't have that.

Are you perhaps thinking of the Minnie Vans at WDW? DLR doesn't have that.
I thought I read that they have a shuttle service from the airport to the hotel for a fee, if you are staying at one of the onsite resorts. I've never been to Disneyland or the West Coast for that matter. However, I am planning a trip for next Feb, for 4 days at Disneyland and then off to Aulani for 7 days. In all my research I thought I saw that the onsite hotels offer a Disney shuttle from the airport to the hotel for a fee of $25 (or something close to that)

I thought I read that they have a shuttle service from the airport to the hotel for a fee, if you are staying at one of the onsite resorts. I've never been to Disneyland or the West Coast for that matter. However, I am planning a trip for next Feb, for 4 days at Disneyland and then off to Aulani for 7 days. In all my research I thought I saw that the onsite hotels offer a Disney shuttle from the airport to the hotel for a fee of $25 (or something close to that)

Oh I found it! --

Disneyland Resort Express
The Disneyland Resort Express provides the most convenient mode of transportation between John Wayne Airport and the Disneyland Resort area, including Disneyland Resort and Anaheim Resort hotels. Upon exiting baggage claim, proceed to the GTC. The Disneyland Resort Express picks up Guests in front of the ticket booth located to the left on a regular basis.

Reservations are not required, but there is a fee to ride.

I haven't read any reviews of this service on this board recently. The Disneyland Express isn't owned by Disney and gets mixed reviews here -- at least the service from LAX does. Many posters here use Uber/Lyft or Lansky's Car Service from SNA because it is so close. And many DISers like that Lansky's include a short grocery stop -- just one more thing out of the way before getting to the hotel.

I haven't read any reviews of this service on this board recently. The Disneyland Express isn't owned by Disney and gets mixed reviews here -- at least the service from LAX does. Many posters here use Uber/Lyft or Lansky's Car Service from SNA because it is so close. And many DISers like that Lansky's include a short grocery stop -- just one more thing out of the way before getting to the hotel.

Aaaah. Okay! That's something for me to think about as well then. I was just planning on using this service. thank you! We are going to be flying into LAX, so I of course don't want to use the service if it isn't up to par!

Aaaah. Okay! That's something for me to think about as well then. I was just planning on using this service. thank you! We are going to be flying into LAX, so I of course don't want to use the service if it isn't up to par!
This thread has good info: Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information ~ 3TinksAndAnEeyore. For LAX transportation, the names that pop up a lot here are Uber, Lyft, Lansky's (very good reviews for service and driving), Super Shuttle (mixed reviews), DLE (mixed reviews).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter