First-time Dis cruisers 1/31/09 Eastern w/phots, navs, menus-FINAL THOUGHTS 3/21

I'm enjoying your pre-trip report. Can't wait to hear more when you return! We will be on the cruise heading to St Croix the first week in March.

All things Simba - Thank you for the link to the magnet. In all of the other planning I've done, I've thought about doing magnets, but I haven't started them yet. I think you've convinced me to at least do a few. I've already saved a few ideas from the threads. This will be the one I start with when I stop by the office depot for paper.

Jbuckent - Thanks for reading. I'll be sure to post as soon as I can when we return.

The gps says we'll arrive at 9:47 am. Of course with a 3-yr-old who knows. We think we remembered everything. If not we think we can live without it. We are beyond excited - especially since we had some little dramas in the last couple of weeks. I'll fill you in on more when we return only because I'm not that great typing long posts on my iPhone. I hope everyone has a great week and we'll try to take lots of pics.

Looking forward to your trip report - I hope your cruise gets off to a wonderful start :)

Mel
x

I was just thinking about you today, your cruise will end tomorrow :sad1:

But I am looking forward to hearing all about it. Hope you had a safe trip home.

And it was fantastic. My husband wanted it to last longer. Our daughter truly believes she's a princess now and wants to know when she can go on another trip and back to the club. We met new friends and we are planning our second Disney cruise later this year. More to come later... Still on iPhone so I need to get to my laptop when we get home.

Well, I'm on laundry load No. 5, :laundy: but we are completely unpacked. Still have to put the luggage away. And my daughter took her longest nap in a week - 2 1/2 hours. We already miss the Magic. It was really a great vacation.

I promise you plenty of photos. Also, I kept every navigator and got copies of the menus. (I think many are the same I've seen before, but there may have been some changes.) I tried to keep copies of most everything we got, so if you have questions about something on the boat (anything from drycleaning or spa costs to workout schedules - not that we did ANY workouts) I might have copies of the forms. I'm happy to look to see if I have the answer - at least for our cruise. Please don't hesitate to ask questions.

First, let me backtrack a bit to before the trip:
So about a week and a half before the big day arrived, my DD comes into my room in the middle of the night making a very odd sound.

“Mommy, I have a bark,” she said just before she actually barked, at least it sounded just like a bark.

When she went to bed, she was fine. So this was a little odd. I couldn’t sleep after about 6 a.m., so I got up and called the doctor’s office around 7 a.m. (we have a 24-hour pediatrician – very nice perk to being patients there) The doctor could see her around 7:30 a.m. I brought with me all of her asthma medicine, since I had some older medication because she rarely had a coughing fit anymore. I wanted the doctor to tell me what was still good, so I could toss out the old stuff and also so I could pack it in case she started coughing on the trip.

But it wasn’t asthma. It was the croop. Am I spelling that right? My husband was planning to return to town that afternoon, so I called him and told him what was going on. I got my daughter some medicine for the croop and began to worry that this was the beginning of her getting really sick.
Turns out I was wrong. She didn’t get really sick, just a normal cold.

Here's our princess before we left for the trip
disneypictures211.jpg

But my husband got home just in time to catch her little cold. His cough didn’t sound like a bark, thankfully, but he was sick over the weekend. I figured I was definitely going to get sick – I just hoped it was sooner rather than later. The cruise was one week away.

On Wednesday, I started getting sick. Darn it. I knew I had time to get over it, but when I get a cold, I sometimes get one of those nagging coughs that lasts for two weeks or more. It’s gone during the day for the most part, but starts up in the middle of the night and makes it hard for me to sleep. I was so worried I was going to get that.:scared:

I worked Wednesday and then most of the day Thursday, but headed home early Thursday afternoon. I tried to rest, while I finished up some work from home. I went to bed early, took tons of vitamin C and tried every other medication known to mankind, or at least it felt like it.:sad2:

Friday, I stayed home. My husband took my daughter to school and I slept in a little. I did the rest of my work from home, and we continued the packing.
I tried to move most of what we would need into a spare bedroom the weeks leading up to the trip. But we still had more to move in to there, and then of course put it all in suitcases, after some last minute laundry.:laundy:

We packed a ton of stuff (despite all of the advice I read on the boards to not over pack.) But it could have been worse. We had four bags, including our hang-up bag and 20-bottles of water in one of the bags. We knew we’d have plenty of room to bring back most of the stuff we’d buy.

We finished packing that night and went to bed a little early. We wanted to get up around 6 a.m. and get on the road by about 6:45 a.m. My husband agreed with what I read on the boards about getting there as early as possible. So we wanted to get to the port around 10 a.m., if possible. We live 2 ½ hours away away, but with a 3-year-old old, there would be at least one potty break. Plus, we needed to make a breakfast stop. I think ended up with a second potty stop.:hourglass

Before we got to bed, we had our last bit of drama.

We heard crying coming from our DD’s room. She was supposed to be asleep, but she had been up playing. Somehow she stuck the antenna from her stereo/cd player in her mouth and it ripped the inside of her cheek. Ouch. She was bleeding a little and very upset. I, of course, worried this was the start of a crazy trip. But she went to bed shortly after. I still never figured out why she put the antenna in her mouth in the first place and how it cut her.:scratchin

I woke up before the alarm went off that morning – which is unheard of. But I was the kind of kid who on Christmas Eve stayed up ALL NIGHT LONG. So I figured the fact that I slept at all was a plus. But considering I was getting over my cold, I knew I had to get my rest.

We sang Happy Birthday to DH and I told DD we were going on a special trip for Daddy’s Birthday :bday: and we got dressed and on the road. (I felt much better, and never got the nagging cough.)

So after a McDonald’s stop, we were on the road. :drive: We arrived at the port at 9:47 a.m – give or take a few minutes :upsidedow

Here was our view as we got to the port
disneypictures264.jpg

We had to wait until about 10:00, I think, before they would let the cars in. My husband dropped me and DD off with the luggage and I almost forgot to give the porter the money in my pocket. I was petrified of this, because I was afraid they would “lose” our luggage. But I remembered, and we went inside.

DD was very excited when she saw the “Mickey Boat.” Remember, she didn’t know what we were going to do, she just knew we were going on a trip. We went inside, got through security no problem went in to check in. Somehow, even though we were the fourth car in, we got a boarding pass No. 3. We saw a lot of buses pulling up as we came in, so I guess a lot of people got in while the cars were checking in. No big deal, from all of my reading, I knew it would all go fast.

When my husband came in, he laughed at me when he realized I forgot to check DD into the Club. Not sure how I forgot that, but I had a lot on my mind. It was still a pretty short line, maybe five people ahead of us. So we went ahead and got that done. My DD wasn’t thrilled to be wearing the band, but we told her it was beautiful and she could wear it all week. She seemed to buy it, and rarely mentioned the band again. princess:

While we waited, DD snacked on goldfish and watched television (though the channels had a lot of static.) She didn’t seem to care. And then she saw Minnie.
disney024.jpg

Later, Mickey came out.
disneypictures115.jpg

Finally, 11:45 a.m. rolled around and they were boarding people. At that point, DD and I were in the restroom. When we came out, DH said they had already called No. 1 and No. 2. YEAH, it was almost our turn.
disney021.jpg

disney013.jpg

Sometime just before noon, we walked through the ears and on to the boat. Now I do have to tell you that our DD never realized we got on to the boat. For the next three days, she asked when we were going on Mickey’s Boat. My husband tried and tried to explain, but she couldn’t see the bottom of the boat, so she didn’t believe it. She believed we were in a hotel (or as she calls them, Showl ‘n tell) for days.

UP NEXT: DAY ONE ABOARD THE MAGIC
AND COMING UP: OUR DD FINALLY BELIEVES WE’RE ON THE MICKEY BOAT, SHE ALSO PROVIDES ME WITH ONE OF MY MOST MORTIFYING MOMENTS (You know, children say the darnedest things.)WE MAKE NEW FRIENDS, A FORGOTTEN BIRTHDAY? AND MUCH MORE.

Great report so far!! :thumbsup2 Can't wait to hear more. We are on the 2/28 Eastern with St. Croix, so I'm very interested in what you thought of that port.
Your DD is adorable! princess:

I can't believe you kept it a secret! I'm such a blabbermouth when I'm excited about something. We're doing the Eastern next March and my ds8 and I are trying to keep it a secret from my dh...at least until it's paid for! :) it's a surprise 10th anniversary trip for him.

Love the TR. Keep it coming! Your DD is adorable. What a little princess.

Beth pixiedust:

Thanks everyone for reading so far. I'm working on the next one right now. I just had to mention that we all slept in until 9 a.m. today- which is unheard of for our 3-year-old. She went to bed at 7:30 p.m. and only got up once around midnight quickly - to tell us she was tired. (We always appreciate hearing the obvious :) )

When she got up this morning, she said "I think I will have....Chips."
Now let me tell you, never once on this trip did she have chips in the morning. I'm not sure she had chips at all. But the "I think I will have" start was how she ordered most everything on the trip.
She finally settled on "Mickey pancakes" which again, she never had on the trip. My husband is going to try to get creative in a few minutes. We'll see.

Great report so far!! :thumbsup2 Can't wait to hear more. We are on the 2/28 Eastern with St. Croix, so I'm very interested in what you thought of that port.
Your DD is adorable! princess:

I promise to devote one of the reports to St. Croix, but I will quickly tell you it was our favorite day. :cheer2: We had a wonderful time and the people on the island were great. I know they had some bad reviews previously, but we have nothing but good things to say - that might be because we spent most of our time on the island in the water. I'll be interested to hear what others had to say about it too.

More to come later.

If there was one overall negative to our trip – it was something Disney had absolutely no control over – and it wasn’t by any means horrible. But the weather was pretty cold. Again, it didn’t even come close to ruining our trip, but it was something that changed our plans a bit. But we on the Magic, we were thrilled.

So we have just walked through the Mickey ears (which my daughter believed was a slide – not sure why she thought that, but OK) The plan was for me to run back to add a Palo brunch reservation and also a couples massage for our Castaway Cay day. I was a bit worried that we wouldn’t be able to do one or both. But when I got back to the Rockin D Bar (I think that was the name, but to be honest, we never went back in there again after that) there was no one in line.

I stopped first at a table where the lady was taking reservations for the spa treatments. A couples massage was no problem. Then I went to the table to make Palo reservations. There was one person in front of me and then it was my turn. I asked for a reservation for our last sea day, Thursday. I figured I would spread out some of the fun and didn’t want to set it for one of our first two sea days, which were our first two full days. Again, no problem.

DH took DD to Parrot Cay for lunch while I was doing the reservations. We debated on where to go, but we decided we didn’t need to head anywhere near the pool, since DD would want to swim. It was just too cold. (I should say, it was too cold for us. There were a few brave souls in the water – which I heard was pretty warm. But the wind made it not much fun to get out – or even to bring your head up above water – so we decided to wait.)

Lunch was pretty good – better than I had expected. There were really large shrimp, which were good. Plenty of fruit and salad fixings – some pasta dishes, fish, carved beef (which was good) mac n cheese, breads and more.

The desserts weren’t really great – something we found to be a trend for much of the cruise. But we could live without dessert if necessary, and I was willing to keep trying things until I found stuff I liked. I heard later that the buffet at Topsiders sounded like the food was the same.

By the time we got done with lunch, we had a few minutes to walk around the ship before we headed to our room. We did end up going up on the ninth floor – and DD wanted to go in the pool. We explained it was too cold, which she didn’t really understand since there were some children in the pools. I’m sure she wouldn’t have explained that her mommy was born and raised in Florida and believed that temperatures in the 50s were just too cold for swimming.

But I didn’t need to explain, Chip and Dale saved the day. They were the first characters she saw and she loved them. They spent quite a few minutes with her – even dancing with her and playing ring around the rosy. She even wanted to play catch, but they weren’t running after her. I didn’t blame them, this was our vacation – no running necessary. She had a blast.
disney051.jpg

disney030.jpg

disney038.jpg

Then she spotted the Ariel View. This is probably a great time to explain that in our home, our DD can’t watch television during the week. The main reason is that it distracts her from important things – such as listening to mommy when I tell her to get dressed, clean her room, whatever. So when DD saw the Ariel View movie screen, well she was in heaven. She hopped on a lounge chair, I grabbed her a towel and she was watched some of the movie (I don’t remember what was on at that moment.)

She was fine sitting there for a while, but I took the opportunity of Donald walking by on Deck 10 to get her up. (I was chilly) Again, she danced with one of the Disney characters.
disneypictures120.jpg

disneypictures184.jpg

When we got to the eighth floor – where our room was – 8014 - the ropes were still up blocking the room hallways, so while I waited the few minutes, DH took DD to the club to give it a quick look. We had thought for some reason that we couldn’t check her in on the first day, just visit the club. So he didn’t leave her there when they said he could.

While they were off, I decorated the door. I told DH I was doing magnets, but I didn’t tell him what kinds. They were a surprise.
disneymagic186.jpg

They were back a few minutes later and we looked around our room.
disneypictures172.jpg

I will say, there was plenty of storage. Since I was curious ahead of time how much there was, I decided to take plenty of pictures. We were in a category 4, but I think the other veranda rooms were pretty similar for storage (just a little smaller of a trunk) So hopefully these pictures help you see the storage options.

This is the nightstand on one side of the bed. There was an identical one on the other side
disneypictures105.jpg

This was one of the bathroom sinks. They both looked the same.
disneypictures185.jpg

Here was the storage in the bathrooms
disneypictures039.jpg

disneypictures001.jpg

The desk area
disneypictures102.jpg

TV (There was storage above and the beverage cooler below)
disneypictures009.jpg

The beverage cooler (which didn't keep things very cold, but kept our water from being too warm)
disneypictures026.jpg

Storage next to the closet
disneypictures100.jpg

You can see the trunk in the back of this picture
disneypictures106.jpg

Now DD didn’t eat much at lunch – which is really not like her. I think she was just really excited. And of course, I didn’t need a reason to order room service just 30 minutes after we got into our room, but I used it as the excuse.

Room service menu
2ab03eb9.jpg

It would be the first of many, many times I would talk to Diane in room service. She was wonderful and we all became addicted to room service.
We got a cheese platter and fruit bowl. And just because we could, we got cookies. The chocolate chip cookies were huge – and pretty good. I took the advice of the disboards and brought many $1 bills. Actually, I think I brought 100 of them. I was using them at Starbucks today to try to get rid of the leftovers. We still have quite a few.

After room service, we did the drill (which took no more than 15 minutes)
disneypictures053.jpg

disneypictures090.jpg

Then we waited for our bags to show up – which was one at a time up until about 5 p.m. We decided to skip the sail away party. While I would have loved to see it, DD was tired and it was cold. We decided we’d relax for a few minutes. Daddy took that opportunity to take DH on the balcony to watch the ship leave the port. He continued trying to convince her that we were on a boat and it was moving. She wasn’t a believer.

I took that time to read some of the things we found in our room and we picked up when we came on the ship.

Welcome aboard
41fd93a1.jpg

The Navigator
87a76012.jpg

4219f137.jpg

b5ffafb4.jpg

f9cd832f.jpg

The movie schedule
aa44793f.jpg

I introduced myself to our room steward, just to find out he was only a relief for our real steward, who would join us in a couple of days. I think the first steward’s name was Jho. He was very nice, but quiet. Margaret came later. My husband thought she was shy, but I found her to be pretty talkative. And she loved DD. Since we weren’t sure if Jho would get any of the tip at the end of the cruise, DH tipped him when he asked him to make up the bunk bed, but then asked him to put it back in the ceiling when we realized DD couldn’t navigate the ladder down very well. (I’m sure many 3-year-olds would be fine, but she’s not much of a daredevil on the playground and not really into climbing a lot.)

UP NEXT: The rest of Day 1, including dinner.

You ar doing a great job. Thank you you adding things I wanted to ask but thought I should not like how long is the boat drill.

YOu little girl is so cute. Believe me write down the cute things she says. I wish now I would have. I have a 9 and 6 year old and they say less and less cute things

I am so happy you got better. I was reading and saying to my self. this is us we are going to get sick. We are only 15 days away. We have two big things and then I think I am going to lock us in the house. Ok maybe I can't but i am thinking it:sad1:

I can not wait to hear about CC. We are also doing nassau but I do not think that you went there. I am so glad you are adding the navigators:yay:

I can not wait to see the menus. How did you get yours. I want them so bad also. I scrapbook:cool1:

First of all, Welcome Back! I am really enjoying your TR so far. Your pictures are fantastic! I'm looking forward to hearing about your day on St. Croix, since I have been wondering what to do with DD5 and DS3 when we are there.

On our last cruise, a Western, we were in a room near 8014 -- that's a great part of the ship and the extra space in the room was awesome! I like your door magnets, and also a big *THANK YOU* for posting the Navigators. I look forward to more!

Thanks for your trip report! I am also going on the 2/28 7-day Eastern so this is a lot of help.
Even though this is not my first cruise, it will be a first with my DD(3) and DS(1).

I was wondering if you had any advice about leaving your DD in the Oceaneer Club. My DD just turned 3 last month. I guess I'm just worried about leaving her around older kids (since she'll be one of the younger ones).
I'll be waiting for the rest of your TR!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter