FIFA World Cup 2022 thread

World Cup excitement scale: How excited are you for the tournament?

Votes: 26 52.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters
I know the game and history of the two teams/countries. I’m not accusing them of colluding only that England just cares about results, period. They only need a draw and rivalry means nothing in a WC. They will rest their starters thinking the backups can do the job. Wales will give their all but England doesn’t have to to grind out the needed point. My point is England is going to give Wales the opportunity to advance through their player selection vs shutting Wales down from the first whistle. Rivalry means nothing when it comes down what’s best for a team that’s already looking ahead to a round of 16 berth.

You have had people here that actually live in the UK tell you just the opposite yet you refused to listen to what they have to say.

This is getting tiresome. Have a good one Buzz, good luck to the US. I hope the officials are up to par.

Not to accuse Wales and England of cheating but if Wales beats England 4-0 with England playing by a B team, will no one question it or just say England underperformed again?
They only need a draw and rivalry means nothing in a WC. They will rest their starters thinking the backups can do the job.
My point is England is going to give Wales the opportunity to advance through their player selection vs shutting Wales down from the first whistle.
OK, make up your mind. Is England going to give Wales an opportunity to advance (more on that in a moment) or are they going to play for the draw.

Assuming US wins vs Iran, here are the two scenarios (if England beats Wales, they win the group):

England Draws against Wales
England: 5
US: 5
Iran: 3
Wales: 2

Wales Defeats England
US: 5
England: 4
Wales: 4
Iran: 3

So, the ONLY way Wales advances is by beating England by 3+. BUT, if that happens, then England is eliminated. Yes, England just needs a draw to advance, but if the US goes crazy and scores a bunch, the US could win the group, and (presumably) have an easier opponent in the knockout.

I think you need to shelve your conspiracy theories (about England & Wales colluding as well as the refs) and simply cheer on your team.

@Wakey , do you think England will play the A team or B team against Wales?

B team - meaningless game for England (and almost meaningless for Wales, too, since see below).

US/Iran will (almost certainly) not be a tie. Both teams have too much riding on the game to play "not to lose/to a draw", since either team wins and they are in. So, they are gonna play open and free flowing and look for every scoring chance they can both get.

OK. Explain. If England plays for the draw, Wales doesn't advance. In order for Wales to advance, England doesn't (assuming the US wins).
Playing a B team throws out the notion of how it’s a must win game for England due to rivalry. The minimum result takes the higher priority. England is confident that they can beat the Dutch and Senegal. They will reach the round of 16 and probably lose but they will still believe they can win.

Playing a B team throws out the notion of how it’s a must win game for England due to rivalry. The minimum result takes the higher priority. England is confident that they can beat the Dutch and Senegal. They will reach the round of 16 and probably lose but they will still believe they can win.
No one said it was a must win game though. At least not on this board. Everyone was refuting your proposal that England and Wales would conspire so they'd both advance.

No one said it was a must win game though. At least not on this board. Everyone was refuting your proposal that England and Wales would conspire so they'd both advance.
And I also said it was a rabbit hole theory that I said had a chance to happen. Not that it actually will.

What England and Wales do doesn't matter. The US is in charge of our destiny. Win and we advance.

England will not roll over for Wales but I do think they rest a lot of starters. It isn't because they want to make it easier for Wales, it is because of the way tournament foot ball is structured. Why risk your top stars to injury. You also might not see a lot of commitment for 50/50 balls either.

I think the US will win, we are the better team, but the better team doesn't guarantee anything so I'll be nervous the entire time.

Sunday WC Schedule:

Japan vs Costa Rica 5am ET on FS1/TSN/Telemundo/Peacock

Belgium vs Morocco 8am ET on FS1/TSN/Telemundo/Peacock

Canada vs Croatia 11am ET on FS1/CTV/TSN/Telemundo/Peacock

Spain vs Germany 2pm ET on FS1/TSN/Telemundo/Peacock

Get hyped Canada. Watch and support your country tomorrow. I’ll be rooting for you guys to do well tomorrow. :-):jumping1:

England won’t play any B team Buzzy. They‘ll go to beat Wales. Not to beat Wales would get them murder here in the press. England don’t care who else gets through from this group and has no interest in Wales advancing.

England won’t play any B team Buzzy. They‘ll go to beat Wales. Not to beat Wales would get them murder here in the press. England don’t care who else gets through from this group and has no interest in Wales advancing.
Thanks for the response. The “special relationship” lives on. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter