Fantasy having mechanical issues

A discussion of DCL's insurance coverage where there is a DCL at fault delay is perfectly appropriate discussion for this thread.

In the end, all I asked DCL for was a letter confirming their delay so I could inquire about the insurance I bought. But I guess to DCL apologists that translated into "what am I owed." I do think I'm owed a letter confirming their delay due to a mechanical issue.
I think he wants us to discuss the technical issues I don't think most of us know enough about ships to say more then "it broke. " To my knowledge DCL hasnt put out a press release on what broke so I'm not sure what there is to say on that. Either that or it's like you said he just doesn't feel DCL owes anybody anything so we shouldn't discuss it.

On all of the double dips the ship leaves port. There's any number of reasons. Take your pick. The cooks on the island are the same from the ship. If the ship overnighted one of the locations.would be short cooks. The same.people that work the stores onboard work the stores on the island. In the unlikely event a storm.comes up while the ship is tied to the port she could beat a hole in the side which would be bad. It would be worse of they damaged the pier. Then there's the whole they don't want you seeing what they do to the island while were away.

As far as bugs keep in mind there about 60 cms there 24/7. If the bugs were that bad, the cms couldn't work or Wed see them with bug bites. I'm pretty sure Disney took care of that.

I think its a combination of ship safety,safety in general, logistics, and overall experience then anything else.
Funny, as we were sitting in Satellite Falls around 10am slowly approaching Port Canaveral, we had a similar discussion with another couple. We thought maybe it was due to safety for fireworks, they suggested the Bahamian govt charges by the hour to be docked at cc.

there's a photo of the note sent to the cruise following your anonamamatt - it acknowledges a delay and switches port, it's in this thread somewhere, it pertains to the next cruise and not yours, but it acknowledges a delay so perhaps the insurance company would be ok with that documentation?

Funny, as we were sitting in Satellite Falls around 10am slowly approaching Port Canaveral, we had a similar discussion with another couple. We thought maybe it was due to safety for fireworks, they suggested the Bahamian govt charges by the hour to be docked at cc.
I don't think that DCL pays docking fees at CC, since they lease the island. But I could be wrong.

As far as the fireworks, DCL used to set them off in port in Nassau. This was back in 98 and on until the ships started leaving at 7 then 5 pm. Back when the ships were in port until 2 am, they would have a deck party at midnight on every cruise New Years Eve party, and shoot them of at the pier. The other cruise ships that were tied up next to us, used to suddenly develop a list to the side that the Magic then the Wonder were on.

Yes, that's correct. There is no fee to change your flight, but normally you pay any difference in the fare. In our case that would have been about $400 for the two of us. That's what I meant when I said they didn't charge any change fees. Sorry if my post was unclear.

I have had to change my southwest flights the day of and not been charge for a fare increase several times. I am not sure if that was due to there not being a fare difference or they simply had the space on the flight. No matter what I prefer SW over other airlines because they don't charge change fees or baggage fees and still generally are the cheaper fare.

I just got off the phone with DCL... they said the insurance doesn't cover it since I bought my flights separately. And they won't get me official documentation of the delay.

The last part made me VERY angry, so at that point the agent told me to email: DCL.guest.communications@disneycruise.com

I'm not sure why I paid $400+ for THEIR insurance. We were in WDW before the cruise, so no real chance of missing it. It seems if you book you own airfare, even with the insurance, all the insurance covers is if you miss the cruise or need to be medevac'd.

Just FYI, the Disney Cruise Line Blog post detailing the mechanical issues has images of both an email and a letter that DCL sent regarding the issue. They may be helpful, if DCL continues to refuse to provide you reasonable documentation:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...eral-delayed-due-unexpected-mechanical-issue/

DCL-20170520-Fantasy-Delay-Embark-Email.jpg

Disney-Fantasy-Potential-Revised-2017-05-20-Itinerary-687x916.jpg

Just FYI, the Disney Cruise Line Blog post detailing the mechanical issues has images of both an email and a letter that DCL sent regarding the issue. They may be helpful, if DCL continues to refuse to provide you reasonable documentation:

Thanks, I will go forward with these if DCL won't give me a letter. AON wanted it on DCL letterhead, but perhaps the "news" article and itinerary change will suffice. I have not heard back from my email (still well within their stated response time), so DCL may very well give me an official letter... either way, I'll post again when I hear back. But I saved these in case DCL won't help. Thanks!

Okay, I received a reply to my email. Here is the summary:

(a) DCL believes their insurance should cover the change fees, since there was a problem with the cruise portion.
(b) DCL will act as a go-between with AON (DCL's insurance company) on my behalf and DCL asked for my receipts.
(c) For passengers without insurance that missed flights and incurred flight change fees, DCL has been reimbursing flight change fees (on a per-case basis).

Having insurance will make the process slower, but fine with me. I'm happy with the outcome, of course.

SO impressed to see this discussion of the 'technical issue'

degraded to airline prices and "what am I owed"

if you missed ... OP's Question:

Just announced, ship is having mechanical issues and will not arrive at port until 10:00 am tomorrow. The ship has been stopped for about two hours.

Eh, since the ongoing discussion has arisen directly from the technical issue on the Fantasy I think it's within reason. Especially since people need help and to vent and that is very much in the spirit of the boards to be friendly to one another. OP did not have a question - it was a statement/ heads up.

Okay, I received a reply to my email. Here is the summary:

(a) DCL believes their insurance should cover the change fees, since there was a problem with the cruise portion.
(b) DCL will act as a go-between with AON (DCL's insurance company) on my behalf and DCL asked for my receipts.
(c) For passengers without insurance that missed flights and incurred flight change fees, DCL has been reimbursing flight change fees (on a per-case basis).

Having insurance will make the process slower, but fine with me. I'm happy with the outcome, of course.

That is great news..! (c) came into action for us when our cruise was changed and it was very fast. Hopefully the go between part with AON is resolved quickly also. I'm so glad they are doing the right thing!

Wow, we would say DCL is much better than RCCL on most RCCL ships we have been on .
I've sailed Allure out of Port Everglades in 2013 & Anthem out of Cape Liberty, NJ 2 months ago. Both times boarding was so smooth, organized, & stress-free. Especially in NJ. Every person had a place to sit in the most organized fashion and reps came to us with an iPad to check us in. Boarding was a rep who came to our row of chairs, everyone stood up, and single-file onto the ship. It was incredible. I could contrast that with the CRUSH of a completely full terminal in PC to board Fantasy. Yeah, I have a video it. Debarkation for both my Royal cruises seem to have run maybe a tad slow but everything was so smooth & orderly. I never experienced long lines or crazy waits.

NCL Getaway debarkation was chaos but not the utter insanity of getting off Fantasy. I kid you not. I think it's a situation where you just had to be there. Get out of your room but don't go to the atrium. Well, we didn't want to eat so why take up tables from people who want to eat? Didn't want to do crafts or meet characters. Whatever we did we had to haul luggage since we were told to get out. Carried our suitcases down the stairs from deck 10 to deck 3 (because elevators were a lost cause & I learned my lesson putting bags out the night before when we debarked the Wonder in San Diego - NEVER again.) I have pics of the complete cluster near the WD Theater but I can tell you this is one of those times pics do not do it justice. It was horrible and the crew sent to direct people that I saw mostly didn't.

We had clusters the two times we've boarded/debarked on RCCL... the second time they even outright refused to let my husband and I use the shorter line for repeat cruisers even though I had the right paperwork for her and everything. I have no idea why. I'm glad you've had good experiences, but I haven't... personal anecdotes shape each person's brand loyalty I suppose. :cutie:

See above. My Royal experiences were fabulous vs the crush of humanity in Disney's terminal. Boarding NCL Getaway & Escape was pretty straight-forward, too. Debarking Getaway was not the best but Escape was easy-peasy. I've sailed Disney more than the others. For me these things are not better because it's Disney, though. I sail Disney mostly for nostalgia at this point. Hubby still buys into that more than me, actually. I just enjoy cruising and find other lines (newer ships, not old) to be just as good each with their own pros & cons.

To be polite, DCL certainly was my least favorite disembarkation, and I have been flamed here for over 13 years for saying that. Before my cruise people on DIS talked about walking right off when you wanted. We had a 45 minute wait in line. It was very stressful. They have no system.
So yes, I prefer the systems the 5 other other lines i cruised used. Priority given based on your travel plans, go to an assigned public room to wait your turn to leave in comfort. Pastries and juice and coffee set up while you wait. Walk right off....when it was my turn.

I've waltzed off a Disney ship a couple times. Express walkoff when you get to the gangway like 20 minutes before it opens. And, of course, when concierge does Priority walk-off.

What gets me is Disney has some snafus on this sailing which is perfectly fine to all the apologists. But if another cruise line had any of the same problems it's "Well, that's why Disney is better." LOL! Not really but keep telling yourself that. LOLOLOL!

So much whining here and elsewhere - elsewhere especially - you'd think everybody was on a Carnival poop cruise to nowhere instead of three days of amazing weather, two days on everybody's professed "favorite island on earth" and a few hours of inconvenience/extra time onboard. Everybody rushes onboard at the beginning of the trip to "maximize their time", causing massive lines and slow security, but when they have to stay on the boat for an extra bit of time you'd think that Disney was strapping them down to draw and quarter them in some medieval torture event.

I'd choose San Juan over Tortola any and every time. The BVIs are amazing, but if you really want to experience them you'll not get a chance in the scant hours a cruise ship is in port.

When it comes to unforeseen expenses related to this kind of thing, I have two words. Trip Insurance. Don't leave home without it.

But, see, travel insurance really wouldn't have done anything in my situation. And with thousands of guests inconvenienced every situation is different.

I'm fine with the loss of the engine & later arrival. Heck, I got to sleep in on a debarkation day which was really nice. What annoyed us was lack of information. Hubby went down to the guest services line (which was stretched back to the WD Theater) to ask what could be done about our dining reservations at WDW that we were going to miss. I didn't want to be charged the penalty. Could we talk to someone or give a reference somehow somewhere to recover our missed fastpasses. A very curt crew member handed him a card that basically said call (407)WDisney from the stateroom. Hubby spent almost an hour on hold before a CM came on but couldn't hear him (bad connection?) so she hung up. Another 30 minutes on hold. 30 minutes of being transferred here and there to cancel the dining reservation wth no fee. They couldn't do anything about the FPs. We had to wait & talk to guest relations there. They told hubby on the phone there is no phone number for guest relations. Riiiiiiiiight. ;) All this time if I'd known we could use the ship's wifi I could've gone online & moved things around. So herein lies the problem of being trapped with the current MDE system the parks use online when you have no access to internet and the phone reps have so little knowledge & can't do much for you. Nothing as earth shattering as those with flight issues but irritating AF and certainly makes for a stressful time trying to figure out what to do when nobody can give you straight answers. Not whining. Not the end of the world. It all worked out okay in the end. But, please, don't judge. If you weren't there, if that wasn't your money & time, if that wasn't you getting no answers from anybody try as you may....seriously...lighten up. Everyone comes to these forums to gush over the fabulosity. In an imperfect world including the Disney bubble there are bad days, too, that are equally discussion-worthy.

But, please, don't judge. If you weren't there, if that wasn't your money & time, if that wasn't you getting no answers from anybody try as you may....seriously...lighten up. Everyone comes to these forums to gush over the fabulosity. In an imperfect world including the Disney bubble there are bad days, too, that are equally discussion-worthy.

I think other that those on this cruise who have yet to be fully reimbursed for expenses incurred, (which has been reported that DCL has been doing for all those affected) others on the cruise are not here whining. What's strange is that people who were not on the cruise are here debating and whining. We were fortunate to know after so many DCL cruises to camp in the shade around the adult pool and ignore the request to go down to the theater. I knew it would become a cluster with everyone carrying their luggage into a very small space. Once we saw the 1st passengers walking toward the buses we caught an elevator down and walked off right behind the crowd. I have no complaints about how the situation was handled but I do think they made a huge error telling people who wanted to walk off to head to the theater well before we were docked knowing we had to get in and go through customs before those people got off. They created an unnecessary situation.

I think other that those on this cruise who have yet to be fully reimbursed for expenses incurred, (which has been reported that DCL has been doing for all those affected) others on the cruise are not here whining. What's strange is that people who were not on the cruise are here debating and whining. We were fortunate to know after so many DCL cruises to camp in the shade around the adult pool and ignore the request to go down to the theater. I knew it would become a cluster with everyone carrying their luggage into a very small space. Once we saw the 1st passengers walking toward the buses we caught an elevator down and walked off right behind the crowd. I have no complaints about how the situation was handled but I do think they made a huge error telling people who wanted to walk off to head to the theater well before we were docked knowing we had to get in and go through customs before those people got off. They created an unnecessary situation.
I agree! I've always just walked off. Never reported anywhere to walk off. It did create an insane and unnecessary situation. Blah! Live & learn.

On now, everything seems to be running great.
Glad to hear that. Very good friends of mine are on board with you. We had wine & cheese with them last night and they are really looking forward to the cruise. They are hard-core Disney fans and the cruise is a graduation celebration for the two daughters, one from high school and the other from college.

I don't think that DCL pays docking fees at CC, since they lease the island. But I could be wrong.

They charge fees because when we couldn't dock at CC last February on the Dream we were refunded the port fees about 5 days after the cruise...still mad about that day, scored my first cabana and didn't get to use it :-(

They charge fees because when we couldn't dock at CC last February on the Dream we were refunded the port fees about 5 days after the cruise...still mad about that day, scored my first cabana and didn't get to use it :-(

Ok. I'll take your word for it. CC is kind of a grey are because no one really knows what the contract says.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter