Fake screaming?

Now, I can understand a little scream here and there on an attraction, whether it be out of fright or excitement but I can't see or understand screaming through a whole ride (maybe a little kid who is truly terrified). I think the screaming nonstop, talking, and taking flash pictures on attractions is really selfish, you aren't the only people in the park. And for those teens that are "bored" riding the same rides over and over, too bad! Find something else to do or somewhere else to go, for some people it is the first and only time they may ride those attractions. Where is the kindness and respect for others?

My husband and I did single rider about a week ago on Matterhorn. My husband got seated with a screamer who screamed for the moments the sled took off and swore throughout the whole ride, he was very upset about it and it left a ringing in his ears. Ironically I had the best bobsled run of the trip.

That's one thing that doesn't happen at WDW. Finally, something bad to point out about the 'locals park'. The teens get bored riding the attractions over and over, and start creating fun for themselves, and is incredibly annoying for the rest of us.
I'm sooooo hoping you're right! I'm really hoping DD will try ToT again when we're at WDW in November and I'd really hate to subject her to a repeat performance!!

Happened to me at ToT at DHS when a bunch of tween/teenage girls (its ALWAYS girls) started their "Ironic Screaming". It wasn't that bad but the off load CM asked me if my group wanted to ride again.

Also there was a really long thread about this topic that was all from WDW.

So it can and does happen at WDW maybe just not as much.

ETA: Note I have never heard or even seen a Singing/Chanting Tour group.
It was boys when it happened to us, believe it or not! A group of I'd say 15-17 year old boys!! :sad2:

Screaming simply for the sake of screaming, and not out of fear or excitement, is annoying and inconsiderate. We had this happen on one of our IJ rides on our last trip. Literally from the time our vehicle left the boarding area until we approached the unloading dock. The nonstop screaming was so loud you couldn't even hear the ride sound effects. So yes, it completely ruined that ride for me. Turned around and rode it again (SR), this time without the senseless caterwauling, and it was marvellous.

I could count on one hand the number of times I've heard someone screaming as loud as they can at any theme park. Most people just do the usual level of thrill ride screaming. It may annoy others who are seated in front of them, especially on ToT where there's no headrest between them to muffle the sound. But screams on a thrill ride for fun are normal. There's even a coaster called California Screamin. I don't think Disney intended that to be the only thrill ride where one can vocalize.
Oh my gosh the screams we heard on ToT were definitely NOT normal! These boys had obviously been on the ride far too many times and were screaming like banshees during the entire experience, even parts that weren't scary. It was definitely not out of fear. I've been to DL many times and have heard the normal screaming and that's fine, (even I scream on California Screamin'!!:)) but this was over the top!! ToT seems to be the ride of choice for this behaviour, in my experience.

We have come across it several times in recent trips. To be honest it is usually youth groups, dance or cheer groups, grad nights or large groups of teens/preteens without supervision. The most memorable time was in Indiana Jones, it was just Hubs, myself , a mom and son and then the rest were preteen girls. My ears still ring just thinking about it. They screamed literally the entire ride, even when the ride was a complete stop. I even turned around to tell them to stop only to receive screams in my face. It was over the top screaming just to scream. It's one thing to scream out of thrill rides, it's another to do it to annoy the heck out of everyone around you.

Don't the CMs say anything to groups that do this? If we had this experience, my daughter would be curled up in a ball unable to move. The CMs would have to help me get her off the ride. We had horrible problems during Grad Nite with the screaming.

It can easily go beyond ruining just a ride. Besides the fact that it just plain rude and unnecessary, screaming like that can trigger PTSD and cause harm to themselves and to others.

I was annoyed when in Haunted Mansion and you have a group of teens saying everything the narrator is saying but louder...makes the ride not even worth it. Please just because you've been on it um-teen times doesn't mean you have to ruin it for first timers. smh

You can tell when the screaming is fake. We have encountered this numerous times in the HM at Disneyland. You can sometimes spot the group that is going to do it. They have big grins on their faces and they keep looking up waiting for it to get dark. Sometimes nudging each other. Then when the lights come back on they look at each smiling and smirking. This last trip we spotted a group of teenage girls that were just giving off that vibe. I spotted them and my son and I moved around the outside to the other side of the elevator room. Sure enough, loud screams and caused a little girl to cry. Also, if we have people in the elevator room like this, I will just and fall back in the line and let everyone clear out in fear of that they will be loud through out the ride also.

The older I get the more "everyone's mom" I'm becoming. I'm loving it. Breaks me out of my shell. "Sweetie, we don't run in the hallways at the Y", etc. If I ran across people like that I'd take a lesson from my mom's book and take them seriously. "Are you OK? What's the matter? Oh I'm so sorry you're so frightened. And all of you are so frightened at the same time. Do you need to go to First Aid? Are you hurt?" heh heh heh.

That's one thing that doesn't happen at WDW.

Of course it does.

Drives me crazy to have people call DL a "local's" park. Because WDW is just as much filled with locals from FL. My cousin and her husband courted there with their church/HS group in tow. There are always locals there.

Similar but different when I went on BTMRR with my 5yo last year - she screamed the whole ride, I held her tight as I thought maybe she was terrified (first time riding it). At the end of the ride she had a big grin on her face, I asked why she screamed her reply "that's what you do on rides like that"!!

Her screams in the stretching room are real though (but she still likes it)

I'm not hearing the part about the long discussion with her about how we don't scream when we aren't afraid? And that she is ruining the experience for those younger or same-age as her?

Because I'd be having that discussion with my son if he did that. Because he REFUSED, for ages, to ride rides where people fake-scream, because it scared him. Still does. And he thinks people who fake-scream have something wrong with them. If he ever started DOING it there would be huge problems. He could start paying me back for the trips we took where I couldn't ride HM and TOT because of his reaction to the screamers, despite the fact that we brought earplugs to help soften it.

Please tell me you had that conversation, or will now consider it? That nonsense truly does scare others.

Case and point.

I take very few life-lessons from 5 year olds.

Don't the CMs say anything to groups that do this? If we had this experience, my daughter would be curled up in a ball unable to move. The CMs would have to help me get her off the ride. We had horrible problems during Grad Nite with the screaming.

It can easily go beyond ruining just a ride. Besides the fact that it just plain rude and unnecessary, screaming like that can trigger PTSD and cause harm to themselves and to others.
They certainly should say something. Especially when small children are being visibly affected. There's just no need for it!

I dont have time for that kind of BS, and if someone wont say something I WILL make myself a problem. YUP IM THAT MOM. Esp on Indy I make them take us through the exits and in the elevator to the ride. Took one time of filming the (bad word that rhymes with yell) it was for my child in the dark with this behavior and all the CM's we past who said nothing. If that is OK for you, its not ok for me. My kid loves the ride and shouldnt need to touched, scared and screamed at in the dark for 20 mins JUST to hear a safety spiel.

I dont have time for that kind of BS, and if someone wont say something I WILL make myself a problem. YUP IM THAT MOM. Esp on Indy I make them take us through the exits and in the elevator to the ride. Took one time of filming the (bad word that rhymes with yell) it was for my child in the dark with this behavior and all the CM's we past who said nothing. If that is OK for you, its not ok for me. My kid loves the ride and shouldnt need to touched, scared and screamed at in the dark for 20 mins JUST to hear a safety spiel.

Are you talking about people being noisy in the ride queue or the ride itself?

Are you talking about people being noisy in the ride queue or the ride itself?
In the ride, esp one that is a thrill ride I can handle. But touching, screaming and scaring young kids is over the line. When the CM response is "the need to go through the film room for safety" I didnt buy that. I have yet to see a VIP go through there. I dont mind waiting, but not if my family is going to be put through rude teens and CM that say nothing.

The older I get the more "everyone's mom" I'm becoming. I'm loving it. Breaks me out of my shell. "Sweetie, we don't run in the hallways at the Y", etc. If I ran across people like that I'd take a lesson from my mom's book and take them seriously. "Are you OK? What's the matter? Oh I'm so sorry you're so frightened. And all of you are so frightened at the same time. Do you need to go to First Aid? Are you hurt?" heh heh heh.
I love your non-confrontational (somewhat mocking) approach.

In the ride, esp one that is a thrill ride I can handle. But touching, screaming and scaring young kids is over the line. When the CM response is "the need to go through the film room for safety" I didnt buy that. I have yet to see a VIP go through there. I dont mind waiting, but not if my family is going to be put through rude teens and CM that say nothing.

I just wasn't sure by your post if you were talking about those actions happening on the ride itself or in the queue, but it definitely sounds like you're talking about these things happening in the queue itself! Wow.

Never really seen any screamers outside of HM stretching room. Honestly, I'll take the screamers over the Asian tour group that kept doing flash photography during Soarin. Amazed I didn't have a migraine after that ride.

We had a screamer behind us on BTMRR this summer. First encounter with that sort of thing. It was a 20-something guy. Go figure. It didn't bother me in the slightest, but my husband was miffed.

Just wondering... what happens to you guys in the Indy queue? We have never had an issue in there. Just people milling about.

Oh yes, I've been stuck on a few rides with the screaming teenage girls. It's always girls.
TOT, Haunted Mansion, Indy, Pirates on the waterfall. It's awful for sure.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter