Fake screaming?

Markolodeon

Mouseketeer
Just experienced something new, weird and unpleasant - a large group of teenagers who purposefully fake screamed ear deafeningly loud throughout all of Tower of Terror (from doors closing to opening). They thought they were hilarious when it was over but our ears hurt and were ringing after. Felt really bad for a little kid sitting in front of them, they ruined the ride for everyone.

Is this like a new thing anyone else has experienced or hopefully just a one off occurrence?

That's just as bad as having a non-stop talker on Pirates.
No... maybe a screamer is worse....

That happened to me once on Indiana Jones. It was most unpleasant and ruined the ride for me. I have partial hearing loss and it was still annoying!

Just experienced something new, weird and unpleasant - a large group of teenagers who purposefully fake screamed ear deafeningly loud throughout all of Tower of Terror (from doors closing to opening). They thought they were hilarious when it was over but our ears hurt and were ringing after. Felt really bad for a little kid sitting in front of them, they ruined the ride for everyone.

Is this like a new thing anyone else has experienced or hopefully just a one off occurrence?

This happens all the time in the stretching room in HM, it's the main reason my DS refuses to ride it.

This happens almost every time we are on Big Thunder.
It is so annoying!!!!
I want to say something to them, but never do.
It is not fun!

I hate the fake screaming with a passion!! My DD won't ride ToT anymore because of teenagers fake screaming through the whole preshow and ride. She was so excited to ride it and they had her scared before we even got on the ride. It's terrible! It really does ruin it for everyone.

People do that a lot. I don't mind the "Woo!" screaming as long as it's not excessive, but screeching like you're terrified is just dumb. It happens occasionally but it's incredibly annoying when it happens.

This happens all the time in the stretching room in HM, it's the main reason my DS refuses to ride it.

Ugh, yes!!! We were just in DLR and went on HM about 5-6 times. There was one time where NO ONE screamed in the stretching room, and my kids and I all commented on how odd it was that no one screamed. So gross that we actually notice that no one is screaming. Should be the opposite, you know?

That's one thing that doesn't happen at WDW. Finally, something bad to point out about the 'locals park'. The teens get bored riding the attractions over and over, and start creating fun for themselves, and is incredibly annoying for the rest of us.

What we experienced in ToT was like nothing we've heard before. Had no idea any humans could scream like that, made so much worse by being an enclosed space. I could see the situation turning violent if they annoyed the wrong person.

We had that happen to use last year on Big Thunder and it was the worst ride ever. It was a preteen girl with her dad, and her dad was just laughing the whole time and it wasn't a I'm scared cry, she was doing it on purpose. Drove us crazy. So sad, and it just scares the little ones so much. Wish Disney could do something about this

Similar but different when I went on BTMRR with my 5yo last year - she screamed the whole ride, I held her tight as I thought maybe she was terrified (first time riding it). At the end of the ride she had a big grin on her face, I asked why she screamed her reply "that's what you do on rides like that"!!

Her screams in the stretching room are real though (but she still likes it)

I think this sounds totally irritating. I'm glad I'm hearing about it before I go so I can be "prepared" because things like that can make me pretty prickly!

That's one thing that doesn't happen at WDW. Finally, something bad to point out about the 'locals park'. The teens get bored riding the attractions over and over, and start creating fun for themselves, and is incredibly annoying for the rest of us.

Happened to me at ToT at DHS when a bunch of tween/teenage girls (its ALWAYS girls) started their "Ironic Screaming". It wasn't that bad but the off load CM asked me if my group wanted to ride again.

Also there was a really long thread about this topic that was all from WDW.

So it can and does happen at WDW maybe just not as much.

ETA: Note I have never heard or even seen a Singing/Chanting Tour group.

Last edited:
I've definitely had this happen to me at WDW on multiple trips, especially in HM and BTMRR. Luckily it hasn't been every single ride but it definitely happens there as well. I've only been to DL once (planning for next June) so I don't have as much experience there.

Ugh, yes!!! We were just in DLR and went on HM about 5-6 times. There was one time where NO ONE screamed in the stretching room, and my kids and I all commented on how odd it was that no one screamed. So gross that we actually notice that no one is screaming. Should be the opposite, you know?
What's "gross" about screaming or not screaming on a scary attraction?

This is not a DLR phenomena or a local one. Some people like to vocalize on thrill rides. Something not being your preference doesn't make it the fault of people who ride more often than you do. Who are "the rest of us," anyway? Other people who are also paying admission and waiting in line just like the person who screams on a ride?

Similar but different when I went on BTMRR with my 5yo last year - she screamed the whole ride, I held her tight as I thought maybe she was terrified (first time riding it). At the end of the ride she had a big grin on her face, I asked why she screamed her reply "that's what you do on rides like that"!!

Her screams in the stretching room are real though (but she still likes it)
Case and point.

This is not a DLR phenomena or a local one. Some people like to vocalize on thrill rides. Something not being your preference doesn't make it the fault of people who ride more often than you do. Who are "the rest of us," anyway? Other people who are also paying admission and waiting in line just like the person who screams on a ride?

In my opinion, there is a difference between screaming on a ride because it is scary and screaming as loud as you can just because you think it's funny to do so. One is an understandable reaction to fear, the other is just being a douchebag.

In my opinion, there is a difference between screaming on a ride because it is scary and screaming as loud as you can just because you think it's funny to do so. One is an understandable reaction to fear, the other is just being a douchebag.
I could count on one hand the number of times I've heard someone screaming as loud as they can at any theme park. Most people just do the usual level of thrill ride screaming. It may annoy others who are seated in front of them, especially on ToT where there's no headrest between them to muffle the sound. But screams on a thrill ride for fun are normal. There's even a coaster called California Screamin. I don't think Disney intended that to be the only thrill ride where one can vocalize.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter