Extremely Upset & In Shock with Chef Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but I see it as reasonable. The manager couldn't let it be served from the kitchen as it didn't come from the CR. It seems to me that allowing it to be on your table was a bit above and beyond. I don't think most restaurants allow outside food to be brought in.

It sounds like you worked hard to plan a great meal. I'm glad the little girl was so happy with her surprise. :goodvibes

+1 Restaurants always mark up the cost of food. The OP said Chef M wanted $165 for a cake. They bought a similar cake from the Boardwalk Bakery for $120. Sounds like a normal markup. Would the OP have been happy if CM charged $5/ head to keep the cake in their fridge and serve it?

A few restaurants let you bring in a cake you purchased elsewhere. Many (most) won't. I never would have brought an outside cake into any restaurant without calling first. It's still an outside cake, even though it was bought in a Disney bakery.

It's not fair to blame Disney. The OP is the one who spent $120 for a cake without checking first. Letting them keep the cake at the table was more then reasonable. Keeping it in a hotel walk in box was very nice. For some people it's not enough. You want the restaurant to store, present, cut and serve an outside cake? Not reasonable unless you pay for the service. Guests who bring in their own wine pay a corkage fee.

Expecting meat in a buffet to be cooked to order isn't reasonable. Frequently meat in a buffet is more well done then I'd like. Chef M isn't the right restaurant if you're looking for beef cooked to order.

I think the OP had some unreasonable expetations.

Don't blame the Boardwalk Bakery. They had every right to assume you obtained permission from Chef Mickey.

+1 Restaurants always mark up the cost of food. The OP said Chef M wanted $165 for a cake. They bought a similar cake from the Boardwalk Bakery for $120. Sounds like a normal markup. Would the OP have been happy if CM charged $5/ head to keep the cake in their fridge and serve it?

A few restaurants let you bring in a cake you purchased elsewhere. Many (most) won't. I never would have brought an outside cake into any restaurant without calling first. It's still an outside cake, even though it was bought in a Disney bakery.

It's not fair to blame Disney. The OP is the one who spent $120 for a cake without checking first. Letting them keep the cake at the table was more then reasonable. Keeping it in a hotel walk in box was very nice. For some people it's not enough.

Expecting meat in a buffet to be cooked to order isn't reasonable. Frequently meat in a buffet is more well done then I'd like. Chef M isn't the right restaurant if you're looking for beef cooked to order.

I think the OP had some unreasonable expetations.

I agree with the unreasonable expectations.

I don't really understand how keeping a cake in a box on a table would have ruined any sort of surprise. With a party of 20 people, keep it on the other end of the table from the 7 year old and she probably wouldn't have even noticed it in the first place. Especially since CM is sort of a crazy busy loud place anyway.

Chef Mickeys isn't the sort of place you can "rent" for a birthday party and have everyone cater to you.

I am very sorry this happened to you.

However, it seems as if you had unrealistic expectations of what was going to happen at this dinner. Also, it does not seem like you talked to anyone ahead of time to see if what you were expecting could even be done. That is not the restarants fault as they would have told you that you cannot bring the cake in, that it had to be delivered. I don't normally eat at CM's so I am not sure how they handle birthday's so I don't know if they normally stop everything to sing to whomever was having a birthday. As for the waitress not bringing out plates for your cake, why could someone in your party not walk up to the buffet and grab some plates? Why did you expect the waitress to do it?:confused3 And I think that if you wanted a lighter, you probably should have made sure that someone in your party had one.

All these things are really not up to the restaruant to handle. If they do, great! But their jobs are to serve food and shuttle people in and out. I understand that you wanted your daughters birthday to be speical but to the restaurant, your daughter was just another one of 100 that day that had a birthday. Like I said previously, you should have called to make sure that all this could be done. Then you would have known what to expect and not been so disappointed when it did not go the way you wanted.

Kristine

Two things to remember from the OP's experience:

Boardwalk Bakery didn't tell them that they couldn't bring an outside cake into a restaurant. Either they were unaware of that, or they just didn't tell them for whatever reason, like they thought it had already been previously arranged. If you're reading this, you know now to contact the restaurant to find out if you can bring in your own cake.

The OP didn't notify Chef Mickey's ahead of time that they would be bringing in an outside cake that they expected to be brought to them at their table (and apparently cut, plated and served by restaurant staff who were also expected to provide something to light the candles.) I'd imagine a buffet restaurant isn't set up to do that with no prior notice. They could also have been informed earlier that there was a rule about bringing in food items from an outside source, and arranged for the surprise to occur elsewhere (or to order a cake that could be delivered). Granted given the circumstances there wasn't any way for the OP to know they couldn't bring in the cake until they showed up with it - but that's why bulletin boards are helpful...we now have readers who know they should check first.

We've also had at least one post before about someone ordering a special item for a birthday and that item was plopped unceremoniously in front of the birthday person by someone who just left the table without providing an announcement or song to the rest of the restaurant about the birthday. It was suggested that if the party prefers a song or some sort of acknowledgement from restaurant staff that they discuss what they'd like to happen with their server as soon as they can (taking the server aside if necessary, for example if they're going for some sort of surprise event.)

As for the food it's pretty much reported that food quality appears to be down in a lot of places.

I'm glad you made the best of it. I know it really bugs me sometimes when things don't work out the way I've expected. Kudos to the characters for saving the day! I've had lot's of experience with planning parties for where I work and everytime we bring in our own desserts we have to keep it on a separate table outside of the kitchen. But not everyone would know that, especially if this is your first time planning a party like that. I guess they kind of tried making it special by bringing the cupcakes out. But that cake you bought was beautiful!!! That was really nice of you to put together such a special event for so many people.

The cake is gorgeous and I am glad the little birthday girl was happy.

I do think you were overly upset at the situation. I would never expect to show up with a large group and any outside food and expect to be accomodated, especially at a buffet.

Also, while it is nice to have a cake brought out at the end of a meal with singing, etc., I don't understand why it would have been such an ordeal to have just used the cake as a centerpiece.

Always call and check ahead of time, if you are doing anything out of the ordinary at a a restaurant.

Giving it further thought...Chef Mickey wanted $165--Boardwalk Bakery charged $120.

I think $45 is a very reasonable surcharge to cover delivery, storage in the restaurant and serving the cake.

Sometimes things cost more then we think is reasonable. Sometimes the solution is to just say no.

If you thought the cost for a martini was high would you bring a full cocktail shaker? If you thought the cost of beer was too high would you bring a cooler with a 6 pack on ice? If you were going to a coffee shop for breakfast would you bring items such as fruit that are expensive when ordered off the menu?

Restuarants charge a mark up to cover their costs. Cake is no different.

Last time I went to Chef Mickey's I thought the quality was getting close to Golden Corral. JMO but you're paying for the character interaction and location. Certainly not the food.

I think $45 is a very reasonable surcharge to cover delivery, storage in the restaurant and serving the cake.

I think you qualified that statement well, $45 is reasonable for Disney World. But then again, masquerading a 2.5/3-star hotel as a Deluxe resort and charging 5-star prices...you're paying for the location and theming.

So I understand why the OP was a little shocked at the $45 price difference. Sometimes it's easy to forget the Disney World surcharge. :)

So sorry you were disappointed. As a aside, sometimes even when you go through the right channels, the cake thing gets screwed up. I ordered a cake for DH and I for our anniverary through the Yachtsman. Upon arrival I confirmed before we were seated that we had a cake and that it was a suprise. 5 minutes later, the cm that checked us in comes over and says "are you sure you ordered a cake, cause we can't find it." I confirmed yes I had ordered a small white cake, now that suprise is out of the bag, thanks :confused: While we are eating she came out to tell me they located the cake. It was served to us FROZEN, and it wasn't an ice cream cake. They charged us the same amount too :confused3 I don't think I will make that mistake again, if we want cake, we have it in the room and avoid dealing with getting it through the restaurant.
By the way, your cake is GORGEOUS!

. By no means do I expect them to break rules or get in trouble for me….

End of story?:confused:

He didn't try to make phone calls, talk to someone else or anything!.

He knew the rules. Why would he make phone calls in order to break them?

. He explained to me that the health code thing is true but that they will gladly keep it in their refrigerator downstairs and when we are ready we can come get it.

Wow! That was really nice of them to do that for you :goodvibes Kudos to Disney:worship:

. Not quite what I had planned…..

Oh.

Remember how they used to have divers who would hold up signs in the tank at the Coral Reef? They could hold up signs like Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary. When people got carried away, they had to stop doing it. I see the cake thing like this too. Sure, maybe they could do it for 1 or 2 people. But then you would have everybody and their grandma wanting it done, and then the kitchen would be spending all this time delivering cakes, and not doing what their job is, which is preparing food.

I'm sorry the OP is so upset, but she really should have checked that what she wanted to do was ok first, then made her plans. Not just assume it was ok.

I think you qualified that statement well, $45 is reasonable for Disney World. But then again, masquerading a 2.5/3-star hotel as a Deluxe resort and charging 5-star prices...you're paying for the location and theming.

So I understand why the OP was a little shocked at the $45 price difference. Sometimes it's easy to forget the Disney World surcharge. :)

Chef Mickey doesn't sell the cake to go for $45 less. The $45 includes delivery to Chef M. It includes the cost to serve the cake. What do you think is a reasonable price for a restaurant to charge to keep your cake in their fridge, present it, cut it and serve it? $2/ head? $5 /head?

Chef Mickey wanted $165. The OP had a group of 20. I don't think $8.25 a guest is an unreasnable charge (by Disney's standards).

You're right about the GF. The hotel is themed as a 5* hotel and priced as a 5* hotel. No reason to actually provide 5* service and amenities. Disney's guest aren't that demanding.

If you thought the cost for a martini was high would you bring a full cocktail shaker? If you thought the cost of beer was too high would you bring a cooler with a 6 pack on ice? If you were going to a coffee shop for breakfast would you bring items such as fruit that are expensive when ordered off the menu?

Have you read the Budget Board? :rotfl:

I'm sorry for your experience at CM. I had dinner there too and was not happy with how rushed we were or the variety and quality of the food. We had a late ADR as well and the waitress seemed rude like she couldn't wait for the restaurant to close. I was also told that the characters would not be visiting our table this late but then we were surprised as they did and they were great by the way. Not only did they spend extra time at our table since the restaurant was almost empty but they also came around in groups. So, we got some wonderful pictures at one point taken with Minnie, Pluto and Goofy all together.

Its terrible that even though the cake came from Disney they couldn't let you keep it in CM's kitchen. Especially after what you paid for it.

Callisto31:

This is a terrible story, and if this had been my wife whom had been treated so poorly, I would have made a scene that every Disney guest would have remembered forever!

I too, visit the parks and restaurants frequently. Mostly, the service is exceptional but once in a while, we run into someone out to change the world, one guest at a time!

Most CM's, are wonderfully attentive and seem to have powers of empathy like no others in the service industry. Which makes it all the more worse, when you run across ones whom should not be in the positions they hold.

Fortunately for this "waitress" and "manager", I am not their supervisor, as I would have taken both of them back in the kitchen, and fired them both on the spot.

You are a paying guest. As a guest, unless you are unruly, abusive, offensive or acting in a way detrimental to other guests, you are the number one priority of the CM's attending you. If you are not, it is the fault of the CM, not the guest. And any CM that cannot understand this founding principle of the service industry, be it Disney, Morton's Steakhouse or even McDonald's they should find another line of work. It is terrible for these employees to treat you this way. You are the reason they are there. Without you, they have no job or purpose.

Having worked in the food business, I understand their concerns with bringing outside food into the kitchen. But a "good" manager, would have been more helpful and found options that preserved your experience. This manager, should be filing for unemployment or re-assigned to mopping floors.

As for some of the vitralic responses, don't worry about them. The only learning experience here, is that even at Disney, not all the CM's have what it takes and unfortunately, wonderful guests with the best intentions, find that out the hard way.

Take care and Happy Birthday to your little one!!

I don't think the surcharge was unreasonable. My bakery charges about $25 for delivery, and that doesn't include storing or cutting/prepping the cake.

I'm not a Chef Mickey's fan and they could have certainly handled this a bit better but I see over the top expectations too. I'm glad that it all worked out pretty well though.

The manager made an exception. Told the OP she could keep the cake at the table. It was a birthday party. Is a cake a surprise? One poster had a good suggestion. Use it as a centerpiece. Another poster had a suggestion. Keep in in the box under the table.

Another employee made an exception. Kept the cake in a walk in box.

I think the OP was unreasonable.

Other restaurants would have suggested returning your outside cake to your car.

Callisto31:

This is a terrible story, and if this had been my wife whom had been treated so poorly, I would have made a scene that every Disney guest would have remembered forever!
Fortunately for this "waitress" and "manager", I am not their supervisor, as I would have taken both of them back in the kitchen, and fired them both on the spot.

You are a paying guest. As a guest, unless you are unruly, abusive, offensive or acting in a way detrimental to other guests, you are the number one priority of the CM's attending you. If you are not, it is the fault of the CM, not the guest. And any CM that cannot understand this founding principle of the service industry, be it Disney, Morton's Steakhouse or even McDonald's they should find another line of work. It is terrible for these employees to treat you this way. You are the reason they are there. Without you, they have no job or purpose.

Having worked in the food business, I understand their concerns with bringing outside food into the kitchen. But a "good" manager, would have been more helpful and found options that preserved your experience. This manager, should be filing for unemployment or re-assigned to mopping floors.

As for some of the vitralic responses, don't worry about them. The only learning experience here, is that even at Disney, not all the CM's have what it takes and unfortunately, wonderful guests with the best intentions, find that out the hard way.

Take care and Happy Birthday to your little one!!

Chef Mickey doesn't sell the cake to go for $45 less. The $45 includes delivery to Chef M. It includes the cost to serve the cake. What do you think is a reasonable price for a restaurant to charge to keep your cake in their fridge, present it, cut it and serve it? $2/ head? $5 /head?

Chef Mickey wanted $165. The OP had a group of 20. I don't think $8.25 a guest is an unreasnable charge (by Disney's standards).

The way you divided up the $165 charge seems good to me! I initially saw both the bakery and Chef Mickey under the same Disney umbrella, but perhaps they compete against each other.

I know many restaurants in my area that would be willing to serve the cake for free provided we had already eaten a full meal there and were celebrating a special occasion. I guess it's unfair to hold Disney restaurants to the same standards. For one thing, I don't expect they have the same autonomy in decision making that an independent restaurant does. Though they're better then most, Disney is still burdened with bureaucracy that plagues all large corporations.

Bunkkinsmom's earlier post still rings true. The entire exchange was a failure of customer service on the manager's part. You want customers to keep coming back even when there is misunderstanding that's the customer's fault. The OP came away feeling very upset at how the situation was handled, not to mention the rest of her large group must have felt uncomfortable as well. And now with the post on DISboards, this negative experience will be read by hundreds more.

I am the first person to criticize Disney when it's warranted. I have actually become less and less satisfied with my trips with each passing year.

HOWEVER, in this case, the OP expected the wait staff at Chef Mickeys to throw a huge birthday party for them. Hold the cake, deliver the cake, light the candles, sing happy birthday, cut the cake, plate the cake, etc. This isn't Chef Mickey's responsiblity, I'm sorry.

And, no, the customer is not always right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter