Expired Fastpass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it all depends on the situation. We have never been refused but then again I could see where it could become a problem in a high wait situation like Soarin'.

The cast member has every right to deny acess with an expired FP.
Most CMs will try to accommodate you, but that is the cast member being nice, not an entitlement.
The Fast Pass system works by assigning a one hour time period for your ride. This is how it works. I'm not saying this is what the OP did, but many guests will wait for the most convenient time to return (after parades, shows, the main dinner times...yadda yadda) and then people end up complaining because the Fast Pass return line is getting too long. So, if a CM makes an exception for you (which they often will) be grateful, but don't expect them to do it and get mad if they don't (Again, I'm not saying that's what the OP did)! Try to be on time for your return, and don't "misuse" the concept of FP unless you absolutely have to.

:wave2: Thank You!

LOL...mmmmkay then.
I don't care at all what other people do, what times they use their FPs, yadda yadda...but then again, I don't throw a hissy fit when people don't abide by the rules and stay at Halloween/Christmas parties without a ticket.
All I am saying is, be grateful when the CM lets you enter with an expired FP and don't throw a hissy fit (and I have witnessed that several times) if they don't!

WOW
I had to read alot to get to the end. I almost couldn't wait to respond to the Moral Police (dizzkneegeek), and the You Can Not Possibly Know Someone in Disney Management (adamsprincess). Well here goes - dizzkneegeek, you are just rude and argumentative. I hate that because these boards are for enjoyment and learning. If you don't believe you should use the FP's past the time, then don't. The fact is this: If I choose to not ride during the 1 hour window, it only means that someone else will fill my magical spot on the ride (someone from the standby line). If I did enter during the 1 hr time, that same person (theoretically) will ride AFTER me. You see, when I use my FP does not affect 1)the number of people in the park, or 2)the number of people who choose to ride a certain ride. Call it rationalization, or whatever other rude and argumentative word you choose. FP's do not expire and I know that for a fact.
That brings me to adamsprincess - thanks for the "please" post. Assume all you want that I am making up some phantom aquaintance, however, it does not change the fact that my cousin works in Anaheim as a Senior Vice President in the Department of Planning, Revenue Management and Strategic Pricing (how would you like that on your business card?) Do you want his full name, or are you ok with this? Just like dizzkneegeek, you are just here to be rude. Take the info here how you want. The OP had no intention of starting a big debate. They wanted answers and I gave it to them. Not a "convenient truth", but an answer.
Remember, FP's are not intended to move you to the front of the line, they are to allow you to spend your waiting time somewhere else (like buying food or merchandise). Disney is a business and people can not spend their money in line. FP is a win-win idea that reduces your standing in line time. When you use it does not affect the flow of the ride or the dynamics of the wait for ANYONE else. Wow, that was fun. Just one more thing...FP's DO NOT expire.

That brings me to adamsprincess - thanks for the "please" post. Assume all you want that I am making up some phantom aquaintance, however, it does not change the fact that my cousin works in Anaheim as a Senior Vice President in the Department of Planning, Revenue Management and Strategic Pricing (how would you like that on your business card?) Do you want his full name, or are you ok with this?
Maybe she needs the president. ;)

I was told that everyone above supervisor were really Animatronics. So no one really know any of them.:lmao:

WOW
I had to read alot to get to the end. I almost couldn't wait to respond to the Moral Police (dizzkneegeek), and the You Can Not Possibly Know Someone in Disney Management (adamsprincess).

Ditto. Aptly nicknamed.

Well here goes - dizzkneegeek, you are just rude and argumentative. I hate that because these boards are for enjoyment and learning. If you don't believe you should use the FP's past the time, then don't.

Agreed. Those who don't like it...don't come after the "window". The rest of us who know what the policy is thank you for you help in maximizing our time at the park. ;)

The fact is this: If I choose to not ride during the 1 hour window, it only means that someone else will fill my magical spot on the ride (someone from the standby line). If I did enter during the 1 hr time, that same person (theoretically) will ride AFTER me. You see, when I use my FP does not affect 1)the number of people in the park, or 2)the number of people who choose to ride a certain ride.

The analogy that I use is that the FP is no different than a virtual person standing in line for you and your family. If that "virtual person" gets to the front of the line, stops, turns to the person behind them and says, "No, please. You go ahead first. I'll wait a few minutes (hours)". By arriving "late" that is all you are doing...letting those people behind you in line go ahead and get on.

That brings me to adamsprincess - thanks for the "please" post. Assume all you want that I am making up some phantom aquaintance, however, it does not change the fact that my cousin works in Anaheim as a Senior Vice President in the Department of Planning, Revenue Management and Strategic Pricing

Methinks that if Walt himself roused his bony self and told them directly they still wouldn't buy it!

Disney is a business and people can not spend their money in line. FP is a win-win idea that reduces your standing in line time. When you use it does not affect the flow of the ride or the dynamics of the wait for ANYONE else. Wow, that was fun.

Yep, the moment the use of FP's after the window starts to impact the flow on the rides...they'll change the policy. However, since from what I understand the policy has been around for many years...I personally experienced the accuracy of your statement since 2 years ago...it kinda seems like things are working just swell. Sorry naysayers.

Just one more thing...FP's DO NOT expire.

We need a head hitting a brick wall smiley for this one...

If it didn't make a difference, they wouldn't assign an end time.

For example, when feeding various fastpass people through, they don't always dump the line in. They let a certain number of people in at a time. If the 2,000 people for RnR decided not to come back between 2 and 4, and all decided to show up at 7pm, it is unlikely that all those people, as well as the 7 -9pm fast pass people would make it through before the park closed. They aren't about to shut down the standby line for 2 hours to ensure the fastpassers get in.

Disney will (IMHO) never announce that you can come after the "expired time" on your FP. Otherwise, goofballs like me would stop bustin' my butt to get back during my FP window. Apparently I'm not relaxed enough on vacation.

IIf the 2,000 people for RnR decided not to come back between 2 and 4, and all decided to show up at 7pm

But they WOULDN'T.
They DON'T.

Its impossible to get "all" of ANY group to do anything at the same time.

I know you were just posing a "what if", but it would not happen.
People go various directions, they change their minds, forget, exit parks, get "stuck" in other places.

Having a "wide-open" time for use of a FP (remember there is only ONE RIDER per FP) tends to SPREAD OUT the "burden" of the FP line over a broader expanse of time.

For example, when feeding various fastpass people through, they don't always dump the line in. They let a certain number of people in at a time. If the 2,000 people for RnR decided not to come back between 2 and 4, and all decided to show up at 7pm, it is unlikely that all those people, as well as the 7 -9pm fast pass people would make it through before the park closed. They aren't about to shut down the standby line for 2 hours to ensure the fastpassers get in.

Thank You! That is all that I was saying and I was never being rude.

Your fact pattern presumes behavior that simply doesn't happen. IF 90 to 100% of FP users opted to use their FP after the window...it could clog things up and might prompt a change. However, for your scenario to really happen you're presuming that the only "rogue users" would be the ones between 2pm and 4pm...bumping into all the "angelic users" who were properly arriving at 7pm...while none of the 9am to 2pm FP users decided to go rogue.

The system of allowing FP's to be used anytime after the start date works because the people holding them will naturally distribute themselves across the one hour period...and beyond it. They don't all independently decide to show up at the same time.

Not only did they have an attorney like me probably approve the very deliberate wording on the back of the FP...I have no doubt that at least a few very smart mathemeticians spent a LOT of time crunching numbers to come up with algorithms that predict guest movement in the park in deciding HOW to run the FP system.

Don't worry guys...lots of people probably smarter than you have spent plenty of time at Disney coming up with how to run the thing...

Here's something that I was thinking about doing next month. I was going to get two FPs for Tower of Terror, one with my ticket, and one with BF's, then use both of them myself. BF wouldn't ride either way so should I not ride or be spoiled and get two rides for myself, since I'll have the extra FP? Or is this something else to get flamed for?

Here's something that I was thinking about doing next month. I was going to get two FPs for Tower of Terror, one with my ticket, and one with BF's, then use both of them myself. BF wouldn't ride either way so should I not ride or be spoiled and get two rides for myself, since I'll have the extra FP? Or is this something else to get flamed for?

Very common practice and very "legal".

Enjoy.

Very common practice and very "legal".

Enjoy.

I thought that it would be. BF can't do Tower of Terror, and other thrill rides because of medical reasons. He says he wants me to go on them, since he knows I enjoy them, but I can't imagine us waiting in line together only to get to the elevator or whatever only to say "okay honey, I'm going to go on the ride now the exit's over there." I can make do without riding most of the thrill rides, but I can't imagine skipping Tower of Terror, so this way I get two rides, and the ten minutes or so I'm in line BF can have a smoke or something.

Maybe it would help you naysayers to understand better if you look at it this way:

Yeah, the return "window" is there. Undeniably because "the powers that be" know that most people will abide by it and live happily ever after unaware of their actual policy. Are they the rule followers? Not necessarily, Disney just plans on the majority of people to not KNOW their Fastpass policy. When I am using a late Fastpass, I am not breaking a rule... and a CM is not doing me a FAVOR by letting me "get away with it" because it IS Disney policy to accept late Fastpasses whenever possible.

So, in effect, Disney accepts that there are people who will abide by the window when they can, or when they don't know any better. They also know there are people who will ASK to use a Fastpass late for whatever reason they give.... and THEN there are people who will use the POLICY of accepting late Fastpasses to their advantage and assume that barring extenuating circumstances, they will be allowed to use the Fastpass.

I think we're all in agreement that if you go to Soarin' and the Fastpass line is building up, you are not GUARANTEED to go through the Fastpass line right then and there. BUT TRY BACK LATER!! If the Fastpass line goes back down to a normal level, they WILL let you use the late Fastpass that day!

If it suits my touring plan better, I am going to save a morning Fastpass to use later in the evening. It's smart park touring. And as someone already pointed out, since Fastpasses are LIMITED IN NUMBER... it really isn't going to matter WHEN I go back to use it because THERE IS A FINITE NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO CAN GO THROUGH THE LINE IN ANY GIVEN DAY. And again, MOST people will abide by the window... so Disney knows that allowing people to go late, for WHATEVER THE REASON, is not a big deal. It's trivial enough that Disney has made a POLICY to accept late Fastpasses whenever possible to maximize the park experience for EVERYONE.... even us jerks who intentionally go late because we know we can count on using a late Fastpass 98% of the time. They simply DON'T ADVERTISE THE POLICY as doing so would make it more difficult for them to honor it.

That is all that I was saying. Going back to the OP, you can't guarantee that you are going to be able to use it. I was stating what is says for the sake of an argument that Disney "has" to let me use it. When they don't have to at all. am I wrong here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter