Everything you need to know about WDW Christmas- Tips & Secrets

My hubby and I were trying to figure out the dates for our next trip to WDW but reading this thread makes me feel like visiting during Christmas time.

I was looking at Dec 4th to the 12th but I could get free dining if I go Dec 10th-17th?
If not should I go first week of Jan, at least my 5 yo DS will be on school holiday?

Has anyone been during those dates?
How bad are the crowds?:confused3

Thanks

Alexsandra said:
My hubby and I were trying to figure out the dates for our next trip to WDW but reading this thread makes me feel like visiting during Christmas time.

I was looking at Dec 4th to the 12th but I could get free dining if I go Dec 10th-17th?
If not should I go first week of Jan, at least my 5 yo DS will be on school holiday?

Thanks

We've been to WDW some of those dates thru the years.... My take on the dates and general consuses is it used to be a slack time ... Same for the week after Thanksgiving....as of recent Internet posts and these forums, word was out these were low attendance times.... They filled up dramatically .. So much so we don't even consider those periods anymore...

Old adage, been there and done that and not worth coming back to huge crowds and slow touring even though Christmas is great... Big worth my money any more.... Really can't beat Sept/Oct time or for the cold weather enthusiasist, January....these are just my observations and personal opinions!!

What about the taking down of the decorations? We will be staying at the GF from Jan 1-7. Will the gingerbread house still be up? What about the decorations in the parks? Hoping to continue our holiday cheer after the holidays.

What about the taking down of the decorations? We will be staying at the GF from Jan 1-7. Will the gingerbread house still be up? What about the decorations in the parks? Hoping to continue our holiday cheer after the holidays.

Last time we were there over Christmas, decorations started coming down January 3rd.

Thanks

Crowds and temps are lower and Christmas decor is beautiful the 2nd week of Dec. FD makes a difference for us!

Thanks

I've been the second week of December once and hubby and I are going again this year. The crowds are low and FD is just about impossible to pass up, isn't it? :cheer2: I think you will find the crowds to be much larger the first week of January. If it helps, I took my daughter out of a week of school when we first went....but she was in Kindergarten and was already reading books out loud to the class during rest time. I didn't think she was going to miss a lot of learning if she missed that week ;)

ksromack said:
I've been the second week of December once and hubby and I are going again this year. The crowds are low and FD is just about impossible to pass up, isn't it? :cheer2: I think you will find the crowds to be much larger the first week of January. If it helps, I took my daughter out of a week of school when we first went....but she was in Kindergarten and was already reading books out loud to the class during rest time. I didn't think she was going to miss a lot of learning if she missed that week ;)

Thank you, after reading your post it settled it for me. I just booked my flights and am going to book wdw tomorrow. FD is too good to pass up. It makes eating around the world so pleasant and stress free. As for school, I figured the same as you, my son is in kindergarten and a quick study. Don't think it will be a problem. I am leaving on the 10th to the 17th of December! So excited! My family loves Xmas time, I can't wait! Thanks again:)

Joining in - planning a trip for 2013 and need to start learning all I can about Christmas at WDW so I can do it right!!!

DD and I have been going to WDW every year in Sept for Free DDP since its inception. Now she lives & works at another area theme park in Orlando and suggested a cooler weather visit. So I am going to visit 11/29 thru 12/4, my first look at X-mas at WDW!! Sadly won't be staying on property. Didn't make financial sense since she lives only 10 min away. But I am so looking forward to it anyway!

She also works at Gaylord Palms (Dreamworks shows) so we'll probably see Ice, too.

The decorations stay up through the marathon weekend (10th-13th). We usually get there the day of the marathon and the difference in when we arrive to when we leave is a lot. The little things like the santas in epcot will all stop right after christmas though.

My advice would be to do all your souvenir shopping at DTD. When we went for the holidays, my wife did all her shopping inside the parks, which left me with the kids (who were much younger at the time) waiting.

We discovered that if you get to DTD in the late afternoon (3 or 4pm) and do your shopping then, then you won't run into long lines. Also, when you park at DTD, park further west (in lots like M). Try to enter through the furthest west entrance and try to approach the lot from the west rather than the east. Finally, leave no later than nine.

My advice would be to do all your souvenir shopping at DTD. When we went for the holidays, my wife did all her shopping inside the parks, which left me with the kids (who were much younger at the time) waiting.

We discovered that if you get to DTD in the late afternoon (3 or 4pm) and do your shopping then, then you won't run into long lines. Also, when you park at DTD, park further west (in lots like M). Try to enter through the furthest west entrance and try to approach the lot from the west rather than the east. Finally, leave no later than nine.

Great advice - thanks!!! Was wonderding how DTD was for shopping during that time.

Also, love your blog - just bookmarked it so I could read more later!

Keep in mind the Fantasyland expansion opens Dec 6th so it will be more crowded his year. In fact I know several Nov. trippers that have now switched their dates to Dec.

Question...does Character Palooza happen during holiday season...I see Fantasmic is at 6:30 every night nov/dec....does that mean no Palooza?

hollygolitely93 said:
Question...does Character Palooza happen during holiday season...I see Fantasmic is at 6 ish on most nights...does that mean no Palooza?

That means no palooza.

Question...does Character Palooza happen during holiday season...I see Fantasmic is at 6:30 every night nov/dec....does that mean no Palooza?

From kenny the pirates site

When is Character Palooza? Well, the answer isn’t as simple as telling someone when the 3:00 parade begins. It fully depends on the Fantasmic! schedule for that day. Here’s how it works…

If the first Fantasmic begins before 7:30 pm, there will not be a Character Palooza.
If the first Fantasmic begins at 7:30 pm, there will be one 20 minute sets beginning at 4:45 pm
If the first Fantasmic begins at 8:00 pm, there will be three 20 minute sets beginning at 4:50 pm
If the first Fantasmic begins at 8:30 pm, there will be two 30 minute sets beginning at 4:50 pm
If the first Fantasmic begins at 9:00 pm, there will be four 25 minute sets beginning at 4:50 pm (two groups with two sets each)
When there is no Fantasmic, there will be four 30 minute sets starting at 4:50 pm.

From kenny the pirates site

When is Character Palooza? Well, the answer isn’t as simple as telling someone when the 3:00 parade begins. It fully depends on the Fantasmic! schedule for that day. Here’s how it works…

If the first Fantasmic begins before 7:30 pm, there will not be a Character Palooza.
If the first Fantasmic begins at 7:30 pm, there will be one 20 minute sets beginning at 4:45 pm
If the first Fantasmic begins at 8:00 pm, there will be three 20 minute sets beginning at 4:50 pm
If the first Fantasmic begins at 8:30 pm, there will be two 30 minute sets beginning at 4:50 pm
If the first Fantasmic begins at 9:00 pm, there will be four 25 minute sets
beginning at 4:50 pm (two groups with two sets each)
When there is no Fantasmic, there will be four 30 minute sets starting at 4:50 pm.

What is character palooza?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter