Ever had to cancel a vacation? UPDATE pg 6

Yes we had to cancel our vacation at WDW because I got cancer.

:hug:

As an aside, we're heading to the surgicenter right now for his surgery. Will have an update later (I will have my laptop with me since they have wi-fi in the waiting room).

UPDATE.

Spoke to the one client this afternoon, and it seems they are NOT leaving. So this is very good news, for SOOOO many reasons. So, for the moment, our trip is still on. I'm very drained right now..it's been a rough day, but YAY!

:banana:great news!!!!

Hope you get to take your vacation and DH heals quickly!
A question though. You really survive boarding 6 horses? I know clients are difficult. They move in and move out. It is a constant issue with someone all the time. We boarded 80. Good luck to you! I do not miss it at all but if you can handle it, more power to you.pixiedust:

Hope you get to take your vacation and DH heals quickly!
A question though. You really survive boarding 6 horses? I know clients are difficult. They move in and move out. It is a constant issue with someone all the time. We boarded 80. Good luck to you! I do not miss it at all but if you can handle it, more power to you.pixiedust:

We board 25 currently. It was as many as 6 that could be leaving. Therein is the problem with boarders who own multiple horses. If you lose one, you're losing multiple horses. We board, offer lessons, training, show coaching, summer camps etc.

DH is in surgery right now. Got my everything crossed!

Praying fot the best on the surgery. Quick recovery. You really deserve a vacation. It is a hard business to be in and I know it is constant. No vacations, no sleeping in. A vacation is impossible, just lining up help. You always wonder if the people you hire care about things like you do.:grouphug:

We board 25 currently. It was as many as 6 that could be leaving. Therein is the problem with boarders who own multiple horses. If you lose one, you're losing multiple horses. We board, offer lessons, training, show coaching, summer camps etc.

DH is in surgery right now. Got my everything crossed!
Hope surgery goes well for DH.

And I get tired cleaning 3 stalls, can't imagine 25. :faint: Of course, I have muscles since we moved to our place. I call them my "baby muscles" as they are still developing and hurt like anything. Yesterday we brought in 50 bales of hay and a palatte of shavings. I'm a little sore today. :lmao: Guess that's what happens when you sit at a desk during the week. ;)

UPDATE!

Success! He pulled through surgery with flying colors! Of course, things were a bit worse off in his knee than the doc had wanted, but he was confident my DH will make a full recovery. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand...NO CRUTCHES! We didn't need to do the microfracture procedure, so all he has is an ace bandage. He's following instructions to the letter and the doc said he'd probably be okay with our Disney walking in 8 weeks, but of course to LISTEN to DH's body and rest often if his knee says "STOP" or rent a wheelchair etc.

Very good day. Now I'm off to muck out 15 stalls and feed 25 horses by my lonesome. It's worth it!

Congratulations! That's great news! It would be so worth it to rent that wheelchair if he needs it rather than putting any stress on himself and messing something up worse. So glad it's all working out!

:cloud9: Glad to hear surgery went well, and everything seems to be falling into place for you!

I've been following your possible cancellation. I'm glad you didn't have to cancel. And that your DH's surgery went well. I would recommend an ECV instead of a wheel chair. Pushing a wheel chair can be really hard. Just a thought. Good luck.

Kim

I've been following your possible cancellation. I'm glad you didn't have to cancel. And that your DH's surgery went well. I would recommend an ECV instead of a wheel chair. Pushing a wheel chair can be really hard. Just a thought. Good luck.

Kim

Only if I can rent him one with flames painted on the sides and a cowcatcher on the front. ;)

So happy to hear your DH's surgery went well. :goodvibes Now hopefuly he'll stick to doctor's orders & make a full recovery. Disney World here you come!!!! :cool1:

Fantastic news, Jennasis!

I hope he has a good night tonight and continues to heal well. I know you are relieved. Now you can plan, plan, plan! :)

Only if I can rent him one with flames painted on the sides and a cowcatcher on the front. ;)
:rotfl2: My DH's has flames. He's got skulls and flames on the side of his ECV. No cowcatcher though. He does have a cute basket where I put all my crap though!! ;)

Glad surgery went well. I hope he heals quickly.

UPDATE!

Success! He pulled through surgery with flying colors! Of course, things were a bit worse off in his knee than the doc had wanted, but he was confident my DH will make a full recovery. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand...NO CRUTCHES! We didn't need to do the microfracture procedure, so all he has is an ace bandage. He's following instructions to the letter and the doc said he'd probably be okay with our Disney walking in 8 weeks, but of course to LISTEN to DH's body and rest often if his knee says "STOP" or rent a wheelchair etc.

Very good day. Now I'm off to muck out 15 stalls and feed 25 horses by my lonesome. It's worth it!

Yeah!!! Vacation time!!!:) No horse poop for a weeK at least.

Glad to hear your DH's surgery went well! Here is to a speedy recovery and a wonderful vacation!!

to answer your original post - yes, we had to cancel our trip to WDW in 2010. Actually I had to cancel 3 of the trips I had scheduled that year (we had extra points to use for DVC). 2010 was our year from HE*L! DH was hospitalized for a month due to vascular surgery in February 2010 (and over 2 feet of snow on the ground!) We had a trip scheduled in May that year but thought it best to reschedule for September to give him more time to heal. I also had a "girls only" trip scheduled in August (we had planned to renew our vows at Disney in 2011 and they were having a wedding expo thing and I really wanted to attend). Then in July 2010 DH got a blood clot in his leg (same one that they had operated on in February) and after 4 days in the hospital with treatment the doctor said he'd have to amputate. So on the 5th day DH became an above-knee amputee. I cancelled my trip to WDW for that August and we cancelled our trip for September too, we did end up loosing most of our banked points, but DVC did restore some (since I had already missed our "banking" date). However, in April 2011 we definitely made up for it - with a vow renewal at the Wedding Pavilion and 4 of our dearest friends to help us celebrate. :banana: Now we're looking forward to our next adventure - Alaska in June 2013 - which all 6 of us are going on together!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter