Ever had to cancel a vacation? UPDATE pg 6

Back in 2001.
We had planned the trip for October of that year then DMIL got diagnosed with terminal cancer in August with a prognosis of 2 months. which would have put us into October.

She passed in early December, we ended up taking that trip in late January.

Oh Jennasis I know how you are feeling. We had 2 Back to Back Disney cruises planned for when they sailed out of Manhattan. We just had to move (government buying our old home and tearing it down) and bought a home with a barn to bring our 2 horses. So we went from full time boarding which allowed us the ability to vacation when we want, to being full time horse owners. I don't have to tell you that it makes vacations non-existent. As we moved to a rural area there is someone who's business it is to house/horse sit. Plus we live across the street from a huge boarding/racing barn. I'm hoping we can get away next year. But we cancelled our cruises just before the 75 day mark so we didn't lose any money. I all but cried.

I hope things work out and you are able to get away. :hug:

As disappointing as cancelling (postponing?) would be, I guess I'm just more upset over the long term ramifications for our business and financial situation. We've worked so hard to get our business where it is, and it seemed like this year we were finally (after nearly 10 years) getting our heads above water and the business was in a good place. Of course, I'm one of those people who are always waiting for the other shoe to drop...and it seems like it's going to. It's the nature of this business...customers come and go, but MAN the timing of this is just uncanny!

As disappointing as cancelling (postponing?) would be, I guess I'm just more upset over the long term ramifications for our business and financial situation. We've worked so hard to get our business where it is, and it seemed like this year we were finally (after nearly 10 years) getting our heads above water and the business was in a good place. Of course, I'm one of those people who are always waiting for the other shoe to drop...and it seems like it's going to. It's the nature of this business...customers come and go, but MAN the timing of this is just uncanny!
Losing many? There may be something going on. Not sure if you remember but we had something like that happen at our barn. Lots of bad mouthing both online and in the community. Lost way too many boarders (from 48 horses to 20). They almost closed down. I actually felt really bad leaving this past spring but they completely understood and said that they had budgeted on us moving out of the area. They eventually moved to a smaller place and were able to consolidate. But it was rough and almost took them down. I hope this is just some bizarre coincidence and nothing bad actually occurs. :hug:

Instinct seems to be telling you to stay. I believe big time in listening to instinct.

Disney will be there next time and maybe the uncle will be generous again with his DVC points.

Congratuations on building up a business where you're seeing major headway. Getting a business in a good place and your heads above water are no easy feat nowadays. Not too many people can say the same.

Losing many? There may be something going on. Not sure if you remember but we had something like that happen at our barn. Lots of bad mouthing both online and in the community. Lost way too many boarders (from 48 horses to 20). They almost closed down. I actually felt really bad leaving this past spring but they completely understood and said that they had budgeted on us moving out of the area. They eventually moved to a smaller place and were able to consolidate. But it was rough and almost took them down. I hope this is just some bizarre coincidence and nothing bad actually occurs. :hug:

I don't think so...but as always you never know. I keep an eye on facebook and all of the online forums and there doesn't seem to be any chatter. People are RARELY up front about why they are moving. The one's we have lost over the last 10 years have been primarily people moving their horses to be closer to home after they moved from the area.

There are 3 boarder, 6 horses all together. But none of them know each other, or speak to each other so I don't think this is some kind of planned mass exodus. One is moving, the other two have other issues unrelated to each other.

I don't think so...but as always you never know. I keep an eye on facebook and all of the online forums and there doesn't seem to be any chatter. People are RARELY up front about why they are moving. The one's we have lost over the last 10 years have been primarily people moving their horses to be closer to home after they moved from the area.

There are 3 boarder, 6 horses all together. But none of them know each other, or speak to each other so I don't think this is some kind of planned mass exodus. One is moving, the other two have other issues unrelated to each other.
Glad to hear it. You are a very knowledgeable BO so I hope it's nothing more than a crappy coincidence.

The lovely folks on the DVC member services board told me about the 30 day rule for DVC points so I guess it's at least good if I do have to cancel at least he should be able to recoup his points...and he may even be that cool uncle who will let us use those same points to rebook another time. I know there are SO many worse things in life than missing a vacation...so yeah I feel like a whiny kid, but man it hurts. It also hurts knowing that aside from the vacation that our business is going to be in the toilet for a while if this happens.

It's OK to whine a little bit. It sucks to cancel a trip. We;ve had to a few times because of deployments and the Army's whims. I understand your disappointment.

Why are your clients leaving? Is there anyway you can entice them to stay?

It's OK to whine a little bit. It sucks to cancel a trip. We;ve had to a few times because of deployments and the Army's whims. I understand your disappointment.

Why are your clients leaving? Is there anyway you can entice them to stay?

I'm hoping I can entice them to stay. I pretty much have bent over backwards for them (and all of my clients) so I'm very open to accommodating them but not sure what more I could offer. When I talk to the one today (the one that REALLY has me thrown for a loop) I'll know more.

I'm hoping I can entice them to stay. I pretty much have bent over backwards for them (and all of my clients) so I'm very open to accommodating them but not sure what more I could offer. When I talk to the one today (the one that REALLY has me thrown for a loop) I'll know more.

I hope everything works out for you today. :hug:

Yep. My healthy 42 year old DH had a spontaneous VAD which led to a stroke on 1/22. We had to cancel all our upcoming vacations, including a Disney Cruise. He's doing fantastic health wise, really an amazing recover (thanks to God) but he was out of work for 2 months and we just don't have the funds.

:hug:

((((hugs)))) I know through your posts just how hard you work and how needed this trip is.

When I become a multi millionaire, these are the times I would help out. Good people, who need a little break..

Know just how you feel. Had to cancel a 8 day, FD trip last year. Dh's 18 wheeler had to have a new transmission. Those things don't come cheap at all, and its the way he makes a living so there wasn't a choice in the matter--$10,000 on the truck + lower paychecks = no trip. :worried:

I wanted to cry when I made that call.

We are wanting to go this year and have a PIN for free dining again, but now I am waiting to know what is going on with dd's show choir. Supposed to go to NYC but we don't know the details so really can't make any plans until we do.

I hope things work out for you. We had to cancel last year when my dad had a stroke. I was so glad that I already had the time off from work that I could stay at the hospital with him.

Good luck.

I'm so sorry you had to cancel your Disney vacation. :hug: Yes, there are worse things that can happen in life but it's still upsetting. And, I'm sorry to hear about the challenges with your business.

We cancelled our vacation for this year too - a week at the beach in Destin, FL. The last few weeks have been crazy - work issues, car repairs, home repairs - and we really thought we should cancel the trip but we had already paid $920 in non-refundable airfare so we felt stuck.

Well, the universe did us a favor - We got an e-mail from the airline this past weekend that there was a significant change to our flight schedule. And because the change resulted in a departure time that was 7 hours later than the original schedule we had the opportunity to cancel the flight and get a refund. We did cancel and we did get our $920 back. Plus, when I cancelled the condo I got my deposit back since I cancelled so far in advance.

Sure we are disappointed but we're looking forward to going to Disney in 2013 instead.

Best of luck to you with your business and travel plans!

UPDATE.

Spoke to the one client this afternoon, and it seems they are NOT leaving. So this is very good news, for SOOOO many reasons. So, for the moment, our trip is still on. I'm very drained right now..it's been a rough day, but YAY!

That's great news! I'm so glad they are not leaving so you can go on your vacation and for your business!!! :thumbsup2

Glad to hear things seem to be better. As a fellow small business owner, I feel your pain. We didn't take a trip this year since expenses have been so crazy and were hoping to go next year. Several $$$ repairs to the business vehicles have pretty much put an end to that.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest