EPCOT to become “more Disney”

What would you like to see EPCOT become?

• Total voters
Just to add, I also think the catering to adults, food and wine festival, etc were just to fill EPCOT since out of the 4 parks, EPCOT was probably the least busy without some kind of pull.

If you think about it the food and wine food carts canibalize their sit down restaurants at EPCOT because there's less of a reason to eat there if you can just grab something at the $8 food cart to tie you over till you go offsite for dinner.

But as they put in more and more IP kids rides, those rides in itself will draw kids/families and then they can get rid of the food carts/food and wine/adults which will lead to more profit for the sit down restaurants in all the countries.
Do you have some facts or sources to support your opinions?

The numbers may be a bit skewed with the addition of SWL at DHS But I seem to recall that the official attendance figures consistently showed Epcot as #2 behind MK

I agree they need to do what is best for the company and do what is going to make them $$$ but they are really stepping away from the original concept of EPCOT (not Walt’s vision) but what it was intended to be as a theme park. I know there is a way to beautify the park while keeping it fresh in the “future” without dumping a bunch of IP into it. That is why EPCOT is special. It is a break from MK type parks. DCA has an”cheapness” to it and has since Day 1 but I don’t believe they are helping themselves by dumping a bunch IP into trying to correct the problem. And I would hate to see that for EPCOT. Future World can change I get it always been an issue just like Tomorrowland. But World Showcase is special.

I agree with this. Our problem with Epcot was never the attractions, just the limited time they were open and the number that were often closed. There were too many empty buildings, so there was too much hiking between attractions and wait times were longer than was warranted (like for Ellen, which my family enjoyed when we finally got in there). there is plenty of space for kiosks etc in both parts of Epcot.

I'd much prefer they try to return to the original theme and keep layering things like they did with KP. Adding more disney just makes it a copy of Tomorrowland...which they seem to have forgotten about, and there are empty spaces in there too. We never actually got to eat at the noodle station for example.

My kid did not really like Epcot when she was younger, and that's ok. She appreciates it now and making it more immature would probably ruin it for her (and her parents).

I agree completely with your assessment... I to miss Maelstrom, and I wish Frozen would have been addition. I would like to see more additions to the different countries as well... Japan and China need some type of ride to punch up these areas... and England needs something done for sure... there is so much potential and really plenty of room for the original concept to shine through and still have some IP rides thrown in...

I am excited to see how everything comes together...

This. I'm from Canada and we want our own ride. In Canada, water rides are where it's at so that's what i would choose for Disney. Even a simulator whale watching tour would be better than nothing...but only fair you get sprayed with water once in a while.

The numbers may be a bit skewed with the addition of SWL at DHS But I seem to recall that the official attendance figures consistently showed Epcot as #2 behind MK
2018 and 2019 AK was ahead of Epcot, but Epcot was #3.

In 2019 (global stats from TEA):
- MK was #1 with 20.963m guests
- AK was #6 with 13.888m guests
- Epcot was #7 with 12.444m guests
- and DHS was #9 with 11.483m guests

One important note is how big EPCOT is - it's capacity is 110,000 compared to 100,000 for MK, 50,000 for DHS, and 60,000 for AK

So on an average day, EPCOT was only at 31% capacity so why it often "feels" more empty than other parks

I'm not sure how much they are adhering to the original plans, but according to an old post on the Disney park blog:

A new pavilion will be the perfect place for live events, and the home base for Epcot’s signature festivals. It will provide a stunning elevated view of the entire park and an ideal spot to witness Epcot’s nighttime spectacular. This beautiful three-level structure will have one of the most remarkable architectural designs at any Disney park, featuring a plaza level, a middle expo level, and a park that sits in the sky on the top level.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...f-epcot-underway-at-walt-disney-world-resort/
We typically avoid Epcot on the weekends of the festivals. It seems like WDW wanted to invest in more festival experiences. I'm sure they are a big money maker. This setup would take advantage of the unused space in FW and spread out the festival crowds. It seems like a good idea and is not bad on the eyes. This is change that I can get on board with.

sdmfner93475932875-1024x576.jpg

I'm not sure how much they are adhering to the original plans, but according to an old post on the Disney park blog:

A new pavilion will be the perfect place for live events, and the home base for Epcot’s signature festivals. It will provide a stunning elevated view of the entire park and an ideal spot to witness Epcot’s nighttime spectacular. This beautiful three-level structure will have one of the most remarkable architectural designs at any Disney park, featuring a plaza level, a middle expo level, and a park that sits in the sky on the top level.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...f-epcot-underway-at-walt-disney-world-resort/
We typically avoid Epcot on the weekends of the festivals. It seems like WDW wanted to invest in more festival experiences. I'm sure they are a big money maker. This setup would take advantage of the unused space in FW and spread out the festival crowds. It seems like a good idea and is not bad on the eyes. This is change that I can get on board with.

sdmfner93475932875-1024x576.jpg

I think that's on hold?

I think that's on hold?

Yeah, it's probably not going to happen anytime soon. I just wonder if they are eventually going to return to this plan, or start over. The thing is, they kind of have to do something with FW. Maybe not now, but there is a lot of empty space that they will have to fill one day.

I think that's on hold?

I believe that is correct. The new Festival Center and the Mary Poppins section at the UK pavilion were both quietly pulled. I think they may get around to building it someday, but it may look different than that rendering above. For now, I would expect a nice, bit open area right there, something inexpensive that will allow them to restart the project when they are ready. Honestly, by the time they finish the other aspects of the central spine area of the park they may be ready to just restart it then.

Yeah, it's probably not going to happen anytime soon. I just wonder if they are eventually going to return to this plan, or start over. The thing is, they kind of have to do something with FW. Maybe not now, but there is a lot of empty space that they will have to fill one day.
I believe that is correct. The new Festival Center and the Mary Poppins section at the UK pavilion were both quietly pulled. I think they may get around to building it someday, but it may look different than that rendering above. For now, I would expect a nice, bit open area right there, something inexpensive that will allow them to restart the project when they are ready. Honestly, by the time they finish the other aspects of the central spine area of the park they may be ready to just restart it then.

I honestly don't really quite understand the new concept with the different Worlds - I'm assuming Future World is no more.

It seems to be far gone away from the World's Fair concept too but if not building the center - an outdoor exhibition space with ever-changing exhibits would be fun. Couldn't be as big, but could be beautiful, educational and just peaceful! ----

(and secretly I want a beautiful, old fashioned Ferris Wheel somewhere, but it really doesn't fit anywhere I guess... :duck:)

Last edited:
I honestly don't really quite understand the new concept with the different Worlds - I'm assuming Future World is no more.

Yeah, the plan for the new Epcot would see "Future World" split into three Worlds - Discovery, Celebration, and Nature. World Discovery was more technology (Mission: SPACE, Test Track), Celebration was about connecting people (Spaceship Earth, Festival Center), and Nature was, well, nature (The Land, The Seas, Moana). Then there was World Showcase. I liked the plan and the general divisions, though I feel like placing the word "World" in front is weird and clunky. They didn't all have to be called that.

Yeah, the plan for the new Epcot would see "Future World" split into three Worlds - Discovery, Celebration, and Nature. World Discovery was more technology (Mission: SPACE, Test Track), Celebration was about connecting people (Spaceship Earth, Festival Center), and Nature was, well, nature (The Land, The Seas, Moana). Then there was World Showcase. I liked the plan and the general divisions, though I feel like placing the word "World" in front is weird and clunky. They didn't all have to be called that.

Yeah. My ideas would take a complete overhaul. 😂

Although I do think the idea of an outdoor exhibition space that can change seasonally, add things, remove things could be fun. Could be art exhibits that change, anything! Our city parks do them all summer and they are very popular. At least until they decide to build the festival center.

Last edited:
I feel like placing the word "World" in front is weird and clunky. They didn't all have to be called that.

Yeah, World Nature sounds a bit strange. World Showcase is a great name. World Celebration at least sounds exciting. World Discovery is a bit of a stretch, but I'll accept it.

Yeah, World Nature sounds a bit strange. World Showcase is a great name. World Celebration at least sounds exciting. World Discovery is a bit of a stretch, but I'll accept it.

The would sound better at least with "of" in there - World of Discovery, World of Nature. Either that or come up with a different word, like "Discovery Station" and "Nature Cove" or something. I do like the overall plan, it's jsut the names that aren't great.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter