EPCOT to become “more Disney”

What would you like to see EPCOT become?

• Total voters

JC1984

DisDad #875
Bob Chapek mentioned this the other day on the Q1 Earning Reporf that the current construction and attractions being built are to make EPCOT “more Disney and family friendly”. What does that mean? Isn’t what make EPCOT so special is because it is different from every Disney Theme Park? What is everyone’s else’s thoughts? I don’t want to see them dump a bunch of IP into the EPCOT and see it become like DCA a park that has no identity; a park that is is mish-mash of IP.

Well, they are adding Ratatouille and Guardians of the Galaxy characters and we're set to add a bunch in the Play! pavilion, and the Moana water feature and supposed to be a ton of IP in Harmonius

It just is what it is at this point. I see the core of EPCOT being about Discovery - be it about technology our world, or ourselves (as individuals and different people's) - that can still had true while using IP, and hope it is the case

Well, they are adding Ratatouille and Guardians of the Galaxy characters and we're set to add a bunch in the Play! pavilion, and the Moana water feature and supposed to be a ton of IP in Harmonius

It just is what it is at this point. I see the core of EPCOT being about Discovery - be it about technology our world, or ourselves (as individuals and different people's) - that can still had true while using IP, and hope it is the case

exactly. I do miss the time when the only “character” at Epcot was figment but that time is long past and isn’t coming back.

exactly. I do miss the time when the only “character” at Epcot was figment but that time is long past and isn’t coming back.

Well I believe Figment was IP, but fit in perfectly. Wasn't there Duffy for a while. And Orange Bird is still somewhere. If either of these were IP I'm blissfully unaware.

Whatever happened to Duffy? Expatriated overseas?

Well I believe Figment was IP, but fit in perfectly. Wasn't there Duffy for a while. And Orange Bird is still somewhere. If either of these were IP I'm blissfully unaware.

Whatever happened to Duffy? Expatriated overseas?

Figment is IP but was created for Epcot, not added in ... Orange Bird was for Adventureland ... Duffy used to have a meet and was part of Kidcot but that is it - he isn't anywhere at WDW but is still huge in the Asia parks and Aulani

I personally don't care if Future World -- if it's even called that anymore -- becomes more Disney. It was a mostly soulless concrete wasteland. The changes look to be making it much better.

But I'm not a fan of pushing IP into the World Showcase. That is my favorite part of Disney World, and it is supposed to be about celebrating the culture of other countries --- not marketing movies that may or may not be vaguely associated with other countries. Sigh.

Why I think EPCOT Center is changing it's image is they simply want to attract a new generation of vacationers and with the debut of The Guardians Of The Galaxy themed area of Future World and the Ratatouille attraction in the France Pavillion of World Showcase I think this is Disney's first step into making EPCOT Center into a Marvel/Pixar themed park. Because if the new Guardians Of The Galaxy area is successful I can see Future World being transformed into Marvel World where there would be Marvel themed shows rides and shops and chances to take photos with The Guardians Of The Galaxy characters Black Panther Captain America Iron Man and other Marvel characters while World Showcase would be renamed Pixar World and feature areas named for Pixar movies such as Onward Village Inside Out Land Incredibles City and so on. While EPCOT Center has always been called the educational park of WDW I think this move is a smart move for EPCOT Center to do and when the remodeling is complete I bet it will attract more visitors and appeal to a big audience

Bob Chapek mentioned this the other day on the Q1 Earning Reporf that the current construction and attractions being built are to make EPCOT “more Disney and family friendly”. What does that mean? Isn’t what make EPCOT so special is because it is different from every Disney Theme Park? What is everyone’s else’s thoughts? I don’t want to see them dump a bunch of IP into the EPCOT and see it become like DCA a park that has no identity; a park that is is mish-mash of IP.
The push started in the 80s when they discovered people wanted Disney at Disney parks and they reverted their decision to not have Disney characters and introduced the fab 5 to epcot. It's been a slow process but with the loss of direction that was created with the closure of the original attractions there's no way to go but to look inward and to what sells.

I agree they need to do what is best for the company and do what is going to make them $$$ but they are really stepping away from the original concept of EPCOT (not Walt’s vision) but what it was intended to be as a theme park. I know there is a way to beautify the park while keeping it fresh in the “future” without dumping a bunch of IP into it. That is why EPCOT is special. It is a break from MK type parks. DCA has an”cheapness” to it and has since Day 1 but I don’t believe they are helping themselves by dumping a bunch IP into trying to correct the problem. And I would hate to see that for EPCOT. Future World can change I get it always been an issue just like Tomorrowland. But World Showcase is special.

Last edited:
I think it points to even more attractions that will appeal to a younger audience. I remember visiting EPCOT with my parents/grandparents and being incredibly bored. There were only two attractions that appealed to me (Horizons and SSE).

I feel they are going to try to level the parks when it comes to the youth attractions/themes.

I think it points to even more attractions that will appeal to a younger audience. I remember visiting EPCOT with my parents/grandparents and being incredibly bored. There were only two attractions that appealed to me (Horizons and SSE).

I feel they are going to try to level the parks when it comes to the youth attractions/themes.
If they can do it while keeping the intention of learning about ourselves and our environment I can get on board but I don’t see how you accomplish with it with a GoG roller coaster. Nothing against GoG I like the movie just seems out of place in EPCOT.

If they can do it while keeping the intention of learning about ourselves and our environment I can get on board but I don’t see how you accomplish with it with a GoG roller coaster. Nothing against GoG I like the movie just seems out of place in EPCOT.

I also don't get a sense of learning when I look at other attractions like FEA, Soarin', TT, Ratatouille, but think they are striving for a balance of appealing to the broadest audience possible.

Bob Chapek mentioned this the other day on the Q1 Earning Reporf that the current construction and attractions being built are to make EPCOT “more Disney and family friendly”.

I think that could mean that they are looking at the "family friendly" end of things... in turn means more relatable "Disney" things for the kids to see and enjoy... bring more families into Epcot...
Over the last few years, Epcot has sorta become the party park... "Drinking around the World"... especially once it get's later in the day and moving towards dinner time. I'm not saying I don't enjoy having some adult beverages around the world showcase in moderation... but over the last couple of years, on the weekends sometimes it's like a frat party, or club behavior... we have seen people wasted out of their minds, I found a young woman passed out in the restroom stall, people throwing up over the fencing, passed out on benches, or on the ground... We are locals and go all the time, so we see a bit more than the usual guest..

Bob Chapek mentioned this the other day on the Q1 Earning Reporf that the current construction and attractions being built are to make EPCOT “more Disney and family friendly”.

I think that could mean that they are looking at the "family friendly" end of things... in turn means more relatable "Disney" things for the kids to see and enjoy... bring more families into Epcot...
Over the last few years, Epcot has sorta become the party park... "Drinking around the World"... especially once it get's later in the day and moving towards dinner time. I'm not saying I don't enjoy having some adult beverages around the world showcase in moderation... but over the last couple of years, on the weekends sometimes it's like a frat party, or club behavior... we have seen people wasted out of their minds, I found a young woman passed out in the restroom stall, people throwing up over the fencing, passed out on benches, or on the ground... We are locals and go all the time, so we see a bit more than the usual guest..
Never thought of it that way thank you for the perspective I can see how that is not Disney.

Epcot has always been a struggle for little ones , that's exactly what they're trying to do but don't expect the party aspect to go away, if anything it's increasing. By them adding food and drinks to every festival they signal they make tons of money from it. Do you remember when flower and garden and the holidays didn't have food kiosks? Those are recent additions, maybe 5-10 years ago they figured out the potential money maker in adding food and wine to every festival.

Epcot has always been a struggle for little ones , that's exactly what they're trying to do but don't expect the party aspect to go away, if anything it's increasing. By them adding food and drinks to every festival they signal they make tons of money from it. Do you remember when flower and garden and the holidays didn't have food kiosks? Those are recent additions, maybe 5-10 years ago they figured out the potential money maker in adding food and wine to every festival.
I remember when flower and garden didn’t have the food kiosks. I used to spend all day in the park enjoying the beauty. Now I’m rarely in the park past 3 because of the party atmosphere. It really is a shame because Epcot used to be my favorite park.

I remember when flower and garden didn’t have the food kiosks. I used to spend all day in the park enjoying the beauty. Now I’m rarely in the park past 3 because of the party atmosphere. It really is a shame because Epcot used to be my favorite park.
Exact reason Walt didn’t want alcohol in his parks. It does change the atmosphere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter