EPCOT to become “more Disney”

What would you like to see EPCOT become?

• Total voters
Here's the thing. I'm a massive SW fan. I read most of the old books and have grown up with SW. SWGE holds zero interest for me because it's not the Star Wars I grew up with. It's based on a world and a time period of the sequel movies, most of which I don't like. I think Disney missed the mark greatly on this by not focusing on the original trilogy. However, that's just a personal preference. I'm sure many would disagree with me.

I agree the new series of movies is garbage compared to the original trilogy.

But i read somewhere that if they use the original series and characters at Starwarsland they still have to pay Lucas royalites whereas with the new series they don't.

This is a great way to look at it. Appreciate what has been rather than lament what can never be again.

I'll take that time machine back to EPCOT in the mid-80s. The first time I visited the parks was on my honeymoon in '96 (loved the pink castle) and EPCOT was by far my favorite park. Would love to see it in all its "edutainment" glory.

Here's the thing. I'm a massive SW fan. I read most of the old books and have grown up with SW. SWGE holds zero interest for me because it's not the Star Wars I grew up with. It's based on a world and a time period of the sequel movies, most of which I don't like. I think Disney missed the mark greatly on this by not focusing on the original trilogy. However, that's just a personal preference. I'm sure many would disagree with me.

I think my first trip to Epcot was 89/90 and my main memory is that it was September and really hot!!! LOL I'd love to see it all again, though. I know there's lots to enjoy, now, that wasn't there then, but there was lots to enjoy, then, that isn't there now(!) and the whole feel was different. It's hard to explain to people who have only visited in recent years.

I think it's something to do with adding the Harmonious structures to the lagoon. When we were there in December, the friendship boats were running from near Canada to Morocco so it wouldn't be COVID related.
They were off in December, but the area where they're locating shouldn't have any work being done.

:thumbsup2 Yes, it would seem most likely the fountains are off for covid reasons and the friendship boat situation is to do with the "giant tacos"!

the friendship boat situation is to do with the "giant tacos"!
No, the Harmonius barges have nothing to do with the lack of a second friendship boat in the world showcase lagoon. At this point it’s due to lack of demand. If people want a second boat they should stop by guest services and ask for one. And also ride the one that’s there more.

If they really want to lower the alcohol consumption get rid of all the festivals.

My idea is instead of IP bombardment everywhere why not put in as many original attractions that were planned for World Showcase. Leave the IP for MK and DHS. The last thing that's needed is to make Epcot the DCA of the east.
Finally! I have felt that way about DCA a long time and don’t want that for EPCOT

No, the Harmonius barges have nothing to do with the lack of a second friendship boat in the world showcase lagoon. At this point it’s due to lack of demand. If people want a second boat they should stop by guest services and ask for one. And also ride the one that’s there more.
I don’t think that’s accurate. They could have the same boats go to all three docks.

If they really want to lower the alcohol consumption get rid of all the festivals.

My idea is instead of IP bombardment everywhere why not put in as many original attractions that were planned for World Showcase. Leave the IP for MK and DHS. The last thing that's needed is to make Epcot the DCA of the east.
DCA got better once they added the IP.

I believe getting rid of alcohol is one of the things they will do to become "more family friendly". They don't want drunk soccer players having shouting matches and scaring kids.

Enjoy the beer crawl while you can.

They could have the same boats go to all three docks.
There are four docks. I was told they tried having a boat go around the lagoon years ago and it didn’t work. They’d get to a dock with a full boat and no one would get off and they wouldn’t be able to load any one in line.

I personally don't care if Future World -- if it's even called that anymore -- becomes more Disney. It was a mostly soulless concrete wasteland. The changes look to be making it much better.

But I'm not a fan of pushing IP into the World Showcase. That is my favorite part of Disney World, and it is supposed to be about celebrating the culture of other countries --- not marketing movies that may or may not be vaguely associated with other countries. Sigh.
I don't mind if the IP reflects the culture of the Country. This is why I have a huge problem with Ratatouille and Frozen neither ride is, in my opinion native, to the culture of the pavilion it is in. Beauty & the Beast in France would be fine, Marry Poppins in the UK would be fine. Coco in Mexico fine etc.

I believe getting rid of alcohol is one of the things they will do to become "more family friendly". They don't want drunk soccer players having shouting matches and scaring kids.

Enjoy the beer crawl while you can.
Not going to happen. In fact I believe that it’s going in the opposite direction as availability was introduced to MK and will expand in a quiet fashion. The beverage kiosks in AK are an example.

I don't mind if the IP reflects the culture of the Country. This is why I have a huge problem with Ratatouille and Frozen neither ride is, in my opinion native, to the culture of the pavilion it is in. Beauty & the Beast in France would be fine, Marry Poppins in the UK would be fine. Coco in Mexico fine etc.

Frozen is actually accurate to Norway.
From the location to the terrain to the culture, costumes and peoples.

And the Chimney Sweeper Burt is not a native to the UK.

Frozen is actually accurate to Norway.
From the location to the terrain to the culture, costumes and peoples.

And the Chimney Sweeper Burt is not a native to the UK.
I did say in my opinion, I would disagree with your comments on Norway and Frozen, yes Frozen is based on Norway but the story is not a Norwegian folk tale, which is my point. As to Bert, no he is not in the books, but Poppins is an English Nanny, yes the author was Australian but is is a book about London in the 20's. That was my point if they are putting IP into these pavilions I want it to be a story from that Country! Sorry if I wasn't clear!

In case you can’t get through the sarcasm. Vegas launched an extensive campaign to attempt to position themselves as a family destination. Turning an adult oriented venue into a “family friendly” venue as you are suggesting that WDW should do with EPCOT is bound to achieve the same results.
The difference is Vegas is an Adult destination, that is it's core.

WDW is a family/kids destination. Always has been.

I did say in my opinion, I would disagree with your comments on Norway and Frozen, yes Frozen is based on Norway but the story is not a Norwegian folk tale, which is my point. As to Bert, no he is not in the books, but Poppins is an English Nanny, yes the author was Australian but is is a book about London in the 20's. That was my point if they are putting IP into these pavilions I want it to be a story from that Country! Sorry if I wasn't clear!
It's Danish folk tale but Norway was a part of the Danish empire from 1523 to 1811. This is likely when the Ice Queen fables and culture (trolls, north men, Sami people) filtered down to Denmark. The setting is Northern Denmark (Norway) as Denmark is flat and not very snowy and the finn character is more evidence of this (as finland is next to Norway (not Denmark), especially the further North in Norway you go).

Norway was then transferred by Napoleon due to Denmark being on the losing side of the war to Sweden (which had installed a French general of Napoleon as the Swedish King). So by 1844 when Denmark's Hans Christian Anderson revived the Ice Queen story, Norway was no longer part of Denmark. However, Hans' childhood, Norway would have still been under the rule of the Danish overlords.

So yeah, this is a Norwegian story, as Hans is pretty specific on his locations. The Little mermaid is supposed to be set in Denmark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter