Enthusiastic about Genie+ touring

I hope Genie+ turns out to be a flavor of MaxPass (even improved!) because I had the best time using it when I went to DLR. Absolutely outshined the FP+ program as I got on more E-ticket rides thanks to it than I ever did with FP+. I'm jazzed for the changes and look forward to learning how to maximize its use!

I hope Genie+ turns out to be a flavor of MaxPass (even improved!) because I had the best time using it when I went to DLR. Absolutely outshined the FP+ program as I got on more E-ticket rides thanks to it than I ever did with FP+. I'm jazzed for the changes and look forward to learning how to maximize its use!
Did you only use MaxPass or did you use both MP and FP?

I've never used Maxpass, but it seems that people liked the system. If Genie+ is similar, I wonder why WDW didn't just keep the MaxPass name and roll out an app based MP system with a few IA$. It would probably have been received better, especially by those who have used the DL version. They could have even incorporated it into Genie.

At DLR? I only used MaxPass. I've used extensively the FP+ program at WDW.
Thank you. So many of the pro-MaxPass users from DL seemed to love it because they were able to schedule a MP and pull paper FP...a sort of double dip. I would have loved that option, too.

But I've got a feeling that aside from a price increase at DL and the introduction of IA$, Genie+ isn't going to be a MP clone. And that's one of the reasons why they didn't introduce it as Genie (the free app) with MaxPass! It was intentionally done to differentiate the two and temper expectations among DL guests.

Thank you. So many of the pro-MaxPass users from DL seemed to love it because they were able to schedule a MP and pull paper FP...a sort of double dip. I would have loved that option, too.

But I've got a feeling that aside from a price increase at DL and the introduction of IA$, Genie+ isn't going to be a MP clone. And that's one of the reasons why they didn't introduce it as Genie (the free app) with MaxPass! It was intentionally done to differentiate the two and temper expectations among DL guests.

I don’t believe the double dipping you described was possible. (Absent hacking with a second ticket etc).

The name was changed to prevent confusion and create uniformity. The system is different — mainly in that some attractions will be excluded and set aside as pay-only attractions. And of course, the “free paper FPs” have been eliminated.

So if it’s an unknown, why assume the worst??
The scenarios you suggest are unlikely and inconsistent with the evidence and experience. Yes, they are still possible. But we shouldn’t assume that the highly unlikely worst case scenario will come to fruition.

Why assume anything good or bad, you know what they say ;)
This is a discussion board dedicated to Disney fans, people are going to discuss everything and anything Disney does, will do, won't do, might do, might not do...............

I'm more of a be prepared type person- hope for the best but plan for the worst. If I had a trip planned for right after G+ rolls out I'm going to expect a worse case scenario, and if it turns out I'm wrong then all the better. :thumbsup2 The fact remains, nobody knows yet what will be, even you so maybe just let people think what they want right now.

Never? That was why FP+ had tiers. It was because the paper FPs for the more popular attractions would be gone by midday.

FP+ had tiers because at each park, 2 or 3 rides were out of FPs by 45 days out. By tiering the FPs, Disney tried to spread out the crowds and allow for some same day availability for their top attractions. Although, that still didn't work most of the year.

FP+ had tiers because at each park, 2 or 3 rides were out of FPs by 45 days out. By tiering the FPs, Disney tried to spread out the crowds and allow for some same day availability for their top attractions. Although, that still didn't work most of the year.
All that means is that demand for those attractions shifted from day-of (paper FP) to 45 days earlier. It doesn't negate my point, which was that paper FP were often gone by midday for the most popular attractions and the same can quite possibly happen with Genie+.

Then the OP should have left out the part about people being negative because of them just being apprehensive of change. One should expect people to explain the reasons to you if you are going to accuse them of something that is false. Seems to me it is the OP that started complaining- about the negative opinions of the system they love so much.

See now you are the one who is wrong, I do have evidence that it will not benefit me. Disney released the details of the added fees to bypass the SB lines, that is my "evidence".
It's like you haven't read this thread or like the OP are ignoring what people are saying in it.

What details did they release? That there are charges for some rides? So your argument is that because there is an extra charge for some rides and Genie + that it is automatically a negative for you? That's definitely possible, but I am not sure how that is possible to know without going with the new model first?

All that means is that demand for those attractions shifted from day-of (paper FP) to 45 days earlier. It doesn't negate my point, which was that paper FP were often gone by midday for the most popular attractions and the same can quite possibly happen with Genie+.

I think Disney is looking at numbers and history with MaxPass and is thinking by taking the top 2 rides out of the pool, riders will spread out to other rides and keep availability throughout the day. Will they be right? I'm not sure, but I can tell you that my experience with MaxPass, during Christmas at Disneyland, was that no rides ran out that early, including Cars.

I think Disney is looking at numbers and history with MaxPass and is thinking by taking the top 2 rides out of the pool, riders will spread out to other rides and keep availability throughout the day. Will they be right? I'm not sure, but I can tell you that my experience with MaxPass, during Christmas at Disneyland, was that no rides ran out that early, including Cars.
Disneyland is not Disney World and MaxPass with FP still operating at the same time is not the same as Genie+ & IA$.

Disneyland is not Disney World and MaxPass with FP still operating at the same time is not the same as Genie+ & IA$.

MaxPass with FP was not what you think. MaxPass gave you the ability to book a FP electronically, without running across the park. You were not able to hold a paper FP and MaxPass at the same time. And you are right, Disneyland is not WDW. There are way more people consistently in a very small area at Disneyland. Christmas at Disneyland is way worse than anything I have ever seen at WDW.

It does negate your point -- yes, the ultra-popular attractions, at the height of their popularity -- would run out of Fastpasses even before the 60 day mark, under FP+. That problem was less severe under paper FP, but it did happen.
Under FP+, FOP, Slinky Dog and Mine Train were often all gone before the 60 day mark.
Under paper FP, which I used several times in different crowd levels immediately before the transition to FP+, Toy Story Mania (at the height of its popularity, before the 3rd track) was the only ride where paper FPs were gone by mid-day. A few others would see FP return times pushed back by 2-3 hours. Outside of Christmas week, never saw any other rides run out of FP by noon. (mid day).

So it did happen with paper FP -- but rarely. It happened with FP+ much much more often. Why worse under FP+? Simple logic -- Giving 3 FPs in advance, instead of giving 1 at a time -- Meant that 3 times the number of FPs were distributed before the park even opened.

Now, let's circle back..... Solely going back to 1 pass at a time, would significantly alleviate this problem faced by FP+. You're right -- wouldn't totally negate your point. The ultra popular rides could see their return times pushed back very very quickly.

.... But.... None of those ultra-popular rides are available under Genie+. They will be individually priced. And dynamic pricing will control their demand.
Yes, if you charged $1 per pass at ROTR, then it might indeed sell out of passes quickly. But the point of dynamic pricing — it regulates the supply and demand.
At $1 per pass, they might sell out quickly.
At $20 per pass, they will be available matching the demand of the day. Or price will be adjusted accordingly.

What about the non-individually priced rides? They have never been an issue under paper Fastpass. The only time a ride became an issue is if it became the 1 ride with demand far surpassing everything else. As long as demand is fairly balanced between several attractions, you don’t get the extreme backup at one attraction.

THIS. As long as demand is fairly spread out, rides don’t run out early.

If FOP or ROTR was included in the base G+…everyone would rush to get those passes, and they might sell out early.
But when you exclude those rides, you can expect fairly balanced demand for what’s left.
At DHS, for example, if ROTR and Slinky are excluded — I’d expect somewhat balanced demand between Smuggler’s Run, MMRR, TOT and RNR. With TSM just a few steps behind.
At Magic Kingdom, there will easily be 5+ attractions spreading out the big demand. Even Epcot with have 3-4, especially after Guardians opens.
The only park I see a possible issue is AK… because they just don’t have enough attractions. This was a problem under FP+ as well.

What details did they release? That there are charges for some rides? So your argument is that because there is an extra charge for some rides and Genie + that it is automatically a negative for you? That's definitely possible, but I am not sure how that is possible to know without going with the new model first?

Yes, paying for fast passes plus paying even more for fastpasses of top tier rides is an automatic negative for me. I don't need to try it first to know the hit to my wallet will negatively effect my WDW family vacation.
I am not really sure why that is a hard concept for you to grasp.
Not all of us are so dedicated to the mouse that we are okay with being nickel and dimed when we visit him.

Do I understand this right- at Disneyland Maxpass is optional but Fastpass is still available (pre-COVID) for those who don't want to purchase it? So guests still have a free choice to bypass SB lines?

Yes, paying for fast passes plus paying even more for fastpasses of top tier rides is an automatic negative for me. I don't need to try it first to know the hit to my wallet will negatively effect my WDW family vacation.
I am not really sure why that is a hard concept for you to grasp.
Not all of us are so dedicated to the mouse that we are okay with being nickel and dimed when we visit him.

Not hard to grasp at all. Also no need to get snippy about it. I was simply asking if that was the deciding factor? Since it is, I can completely see why you are so negative toward the change. I have seen costs go up many times and if I decided each change was a big negative, then I would have stopped going a long time ago.

I didn't like FP+ and was happy to see it go. I would happily spend a little extra money on the days I see it beneficial, in order to get a process that will work better for my family. Will this be it? I can't be 100% sure. I have a hunch it will and that is why I am enthusiastic. I actually don't even think it will be needed to buy Genie+ at all quite a few days we visit. When we go in early September, I think we will just skip it entirely at first. If we feel like we aren't getting on enough rides, then we might pay for it. Now, when we go in December, over Christmas, we will probably pay for it every day. I guess I see this more as a soft cost vs. Disney just raising ticket prices way more than they did.

Do I understand this right- at Disneyland Maxpass is optional but Fastpass is still available (pre-COVID) for those who don't want to purchase it? So guests still have a free choice to bypass SB lines?

You are correct, this was an option. I think I misunderstood that you thought you could have MaxPass on your phone and get a second FP in paper. That wasn't possible, but yes, paper FP was an option still at Disneyland. I think it was going away in time no matter what, but it was still available when the parks closed down for COVID the first time.

The name was changed to prevent confusion and create uniformity. The system is different — mainly in that some attractions will be excluded and set aside as pay-only attractions. And of course, the “free paper FPs” have been eliminated.

I was thinking more about PR. They still could have had the Genie service, but instead of LL, they could have had MP. The perception of 'modified MaxPass' is better than 'paid FastPass.' But, like I said, I've never used MP, so I don't know if it is similar at all. I only bring it up because you had mentioned that there were some parallels. Not that it matters, but it's interesting none the less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter