ecv 4 vs 3 wheel?

We are renting for the first time this trip for my mom, what is better for wdw?
Thanks

Hi, Jennygt. For most regular mobility uses it might be a personal preference. I have owned both and these were my reasons.

You can compare the costs and the convenience and the add ons that each vendor offers. I have never rented from Gold Mobility, but if I was renting now, I would definitely rent from them for so many, many reasons.

I bought a 3-wheel mobility scooter for myself after using the WDW 4-wheel ECVs. I found that turning the 3-wheel mobility scooter in the WDW attraction queue lines were a lot easier than turning the 4-wheel mobility scooter. Plus for other reasons for myself, I could take it apart easier and put in my car trunk.

Later after I did not own a car and as I got older, I could no longer lift the heaviest mobility scooter's rear wheels and attached engine.

I bought a new four-wheel mobility scooter because using some of the sidewalks to go to work had me tilting over, especially the sidewalk ramps that were poorly designed. When I was turning the front wheel and going down the ramp, it became more prone to tilting. It rarely happened but when it did I was always afraid of falling down into the car traffic. I did not worry about this at WDW at all. WDW was pretty flat and really geared to those using wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

I now own a portable, folding, electric wheelchair that easily travels using the airlines and buses.

My suggestion is to use rent a 3-wheel mobility scooter.

There are many outside vendors that rent them.

And many like the ease of use and long battery life.

I have seen many guests praise the 3-wheel Pride Go Go mobility scooter.

I would just let the vendor know the weight of the driver, no I won't ask you, and each mobility scooter's battery lasting power and strength is based on the weight of the driver. If near the higher weight limit I would go to the next level to a 3-wheel Pride Victory 10 mobility scooter.

FINAL_REAL_3_WHEEL_GO_GO_FIX_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Pride Go-Go Sport 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter - WDW Scooter Rental

FIXED_3_Wheel_ALSO_f3adc39c-12ea-44c9-bb4c-eeff98586923_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Pride Victory 10 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter Rental - WDW Scooter Rental

Last edited:
Hi, Jennygt. For most regular mobility uses it might be a personal preference. I have owned both and these were my reasons.

You can compare the costs and the convenience and the add ons that each vendor offers. I have never rented from Gold Mobility, but if I was renting now, I would definitely rent from them for so many, many reasons.

I bought a 3-wheel mobility scooter for myself after using the WDW 4-wheel ECVs. I found that turning the 3-wheel mobility scooter in the WDW attraction queue lines were a lot easier than turning the 4-wheel mobility scooter. Plus for other reasons for myself, I could take it apart easier and put in my car trunk.

Later after I did not own a car and as I got older, I could no longer lift the heaviest mobility scooter's rear wheels and attached engine.

I bought a new four-wheel mobility scooter because using some of the sidewalks to go to work had me tilting over, especially the sidewalk ramps that were poorly designed. When I was turning the front wheel and going down the ramp, it became more prone to tilting. It rarely happened but when it did I was always afraid of falling down into the car traffic. I did not worry about this at WDW at all. WDW was pretty flat and really geared to those using wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

I now own a portable, folding, electric wheelchair that easily travels using the airlines and buses.

My suggestion is to use rent a 3-wheel mobility scooter.

There are many outside vendors that rent them.

And many like the ease of use and long battery life.

I have seen many guests praise the 3-wheel Pride Go Go mobility scooter.

I would just let the vendor know the weight of the driver, no I won't ask you, and each mobility scooter's battery lasting power and strength is based on the weight of the driver. If near the higher weight limit I would go to the next level to a 3-wheel Pride Victory 10 mobility scooter.

FINAL_REAL_3_WHEEL_GO_GO_FIX_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Pride Go-Go Sport 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter - WDW Scooter Rental

FIXED_3_Wheel_ALSO_f3adc39c-12ea-44c9-bb4c-eeff98586923_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Pride Victory 10 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter Rental - WDW Scooter Rental
Thankyou for all the great insight!

I agree with @RaySharpton. The 3-wheel variety is much more maneuverable in the ride queues and getting off and on the buses (just keep the speed down to turtle).

This gets debated often, here. If you are renting offsite you have a choice.

The 3 wheel ones definitely make turns better. The downside is they can tip over.

The 4 wheelers are more stable. Think about it; they have an extra wheel for more balance. The 4 wheelers are harder to turn, but you get use to it.

For a first timer using one I lean towards the 4 wheeler; I feel they are safer to use.

If you rent one at the Disney parks they are all 4 wheelers.

If you are using the Disney buses (or any other Disney transportation) to get back and forth from the park with a scooter then give your mom a break and you should get the scooter on and off the bus, not her if she can manage the bus stairs on and off. This will provide a more enjoyable experience for her.

If you are using the Disney buses (or any other Disney transportation) to get back and forth from the park with a scooter then give your mom a break and you should get the scooter on and off the bus, not her if she can manage the bus stairs on and off. This will provide a more enjoyable experience for her.
I haven't seen a bus with stairs in quite some time at Disney World, also the driver will usually let the rest of the party that isn't in the scooter use the ramp.

I would also say a 4 wheel scooter, especially if she isn't used to driving them and Gold Mobility is hands down the way to go, they have the best scooters at the best prices with the best customer service, really can't beat them.

My Mom loves the 3 wheel style. She finds them easier to manuever in the lines. And the Go-Go sport shown above it hands down her favorite one. We are another family that has switched and highly recommend Gold Mobility! If you call them, they can also answer some of the questions and recommend if 3 or 4 wheel is the right choice for you.

The main reason I prefer the 3 wheel is that, because it's lighter, it's easier for me to maneuver when it's in the hotel room (or going in and out) when I'm "freewheeling" and pushing it. Many of my trips are solo, and so being able to maneuver the ECV by myself is a big issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!