Driving off before you get into the building

While growing up and dropping off friends at their houses, my parents always pointed out how we would wait for them to make sure they made it inside. Of course, they were children and this was before cell phones, but I guess it's just something that's been ingrained in me. If I'm dropping off a friend at home I always make sure they make it inside before the drive off.

In that case it is almost like let me get you alone in the dark parking lot. NO THANK YOU!

Thankfully that wasn't the case for me. I know he was doing it because he cared and wanted to make sure I was safe.

It was my coworker, too, so it was under the guise of making sure I was safe. In reality I just wanted to run away because he was making me very uncomfortable.

It depends on who I'm dropping off and where.
If it's dh I don't at all.
If it's one of my kids or their friends and it's to a house I do, if it's a public place where I know the door is open I don't, and if it is one of my friends I do.
I don't really drive anyone else around.

If I drop someone off, I wait the 30 seconds or whatever it takes for them to get in. My significant other always waits for me, and also asks me to text when I'm home if we aren't together. I don't consider it creepy, but maybe I'm old and old-fashioned. He also insists on holding the door for me, opening the car door, carrying heavy stuff, etc.

My wife hits the gas as soon as the vehicle door shuts (sometimes even a second before). Myself, I tend to wait until she's inside.

I always wait, no matter who I drop off. I always have done it from the time I started driving at 16. I will never forget a story I read once where someone dropped someone off, it was winter, and in between the time of the driver driving off, the person had slipped on the ice and never made it even to their door. They wound up freezing to death. I remember thinking, wow, that person couldn't have even waited until they made it in the door? What's the rush? It would feel very wrong to me to drive off on someone.

My youngest yes. She’s in 4th so I watch her walk In

my oldest is in middle so no I do not hold up the drop off line to watch her walk in

If I drop my kids friends off at hime I make sure they get in ok.
For my husband and I, no we don’t wait. If I can’t get into work, there is nothing he can do for me and vise versa

My husband actually drops me off at work four or five mornings a week. No he never waits. It's a 60 story office complex in broad daylight. Is he gonna come watch me when I go out to lunch too? Plus half the time I'm actually heading into McDonalds for coffee before I walk over to the building. Is he supposed to tie up traffic until I have my coffee? That's really about the only time we ever drop each other off. If there was ever some sort of element of danger, I suppose we would watch the other go in, but I don't think either of us has ever dropped the other off in such a setting.

Silog @indimom. That's why windows and little kids exist ;).
Yeah, I've used that method before. lol. Dog doors are also effective if the kid is small enough :)

I'm guessing this is why I would never consider driving off until someone was safely inside: my background/age/environment have turned this into a habit I can't break.
For the first 3/4 of my life, there were no cell phones for help if you were locked out. And even now, there are areas where cell phones have no signal (my parent's house). It's a rural area, so if you are locked out, walking next door could mean a mile or more to the nearest neighbor. And there are no street lights. The only lights are the occasional large "security light" on an electric pole in the barnyard of homes. But, since most homes are located 100 yards to a quarter mile off the road, these lights only help when you get up close to the house or barns.
If you need to walk somewhere for help at night, you are going to be walking on the road in the pitch black (no sidewalks for safety) to the nearest home or sitting in the dark waiting for some else to get home. Oh, and I can't forget the number of people who still have dogs that run loose, even today.
Until those things change, I probably will keep waiting to make sure whoever I'm dropping off gets inside safely before I leave, even in daylight. :upsidedow

Depends on what building the individual is being dropped off at. Work, no. Home, yes. Anywhere else, maybe.

If I have to drop my DH off at work, I don't wait because he works downtown and I don't actually park, I just stop in front of his building and he jumps out before we snarl up traffic too much.

If I am dropping someone off at their house, I do wait to make sure they get inside to drive off.

When your significant other drops you off at home, work, etc., do they wait until you are in the building before they drive off?

Absolutely! This is common courtesy to me, no matter the relationship situation when you drop someone off, and much more so at night. During the day for work, no.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter