Double, Double, Toil & Trouble: a Halloween-inspired trip of “two’s” – an October 2016 TR

Yep, currently looking into back up plans. There is an afternoon flight on Thursday with open seats but no rooms available here on WDW property except the $600+ ones. I just emailed the agent that booked us this time to see if they have any rooms. I'm not holding out hope though. DH days the forecast is looking fine for tomorrow night. What I'm seeing is storm warning in effect until 8pm....out flight leaves here at 9:30pm.

Still reading along! I love seeing all your new adventures! Capones looks looks like a great experience!
I love your time with your nieces and nephew/family! How fun that you can spend time with them on vacation doing fun things together! Truly special! (They are adorable!!)
I've never been to a Maggiano's~ we don't have one by us, but there is one by my DD's college. Next time we go visit, I'm definitely going to arrange a stop to eat there! You've totally convinced me with your posts! Yum!
I agree with a pp~ Columbus is my home airport, and it is so easy to fly Southwest in and out of. There definitely are great prices to be had if you hit it right.
It's also a great city to put on your list of places to visit! Lots of nice things to do here in the spring and summer! :flower3:

Thanks for the tips, Gina! Honestly, it will all come down to our budget for Capone's. I really want my kids and MIL to see La Nouba before it closes, and that's going to cost big bucks! DH and I will celebrate our 20th anniversary on the trip, so maybe we can do a date night there or something :)

Thursday, October 20th (continued)

14963139_10155162371096416_3221520320486249341_n.jpg

There was no way we would be able to squeeze in all the highlights of SeaWorld in one single day, so we had to be selective as to which attractions and shows we saw today, and what would be left for another visit. Since the killer whales really do seem like the “face” of SeaWorld, Lisa thought the kids should see the One Ocean show on their first park day…,,so that’s where we headed next, after a stop for lunch at the Spice Mill [though I apparently failed to note or photograph a single thing that we ate :confused: ]. An opportunity for those little legs to sit and indulge in an extended rest after lunch while they enjoyed a show was just what everyone needed during the hot mid-day period ::yes::.

14906970_10155162371546416_5196116910399727531_n.jpg

We arrived close enough to show time that we didn’t get spectacular seats, but neither were they bad either. Lisa and the two girls chose to sit in the splash zone while Joe, Steve, and I took Johan and sat high enough up to stay dry. The girls thought they got the better end of the deal because they would get soaked (and cooled off) by the whale splashes while Johan was convinced he was the winner as Uncle Steve bought a big bag of popcorn and the two of them chowed down for the duration of the show popcorn::.

14915619_10155162371701416_6213963259456267625_n.jpg

We’ve seen this show many times now, and it never fails to stir the emotions. Such beautiful, graceful creatures and the love between animals and trainers is so easy to see :goodvibes.

14915300_10155162371896416_1262507315650221756_n.jpg

The kids were mesmerized by the both the size and skills of these majestic mammals, and spent the entire show wide-eyed and clapping wildly. Cadence, Alaina and Lisa all ended the show sufficiently wet ….. splash zone, indeed! :rotfl:

14910354_10155162371761416_6489735593915940631_n.jpg

With everyone feeling a little more rested and rehydrated (we made everyone have a big drink during the half-hour we were seated in Shamu Stadium….whether they claimed they were thirsty or not…..knowing that it was imperative to keep the fluids replenished on such a warm and sunny day) we proceeded next to Shamu’s Happy Harbor for a little kid-sized fun :banana:.

14993457_10155162372306416_5349933208331464003_n.jpg

This was an area where Steve and I had spent limited amounts of time on previous visits, so while we were familiar with the attractions here, we hadn’t really experienced many of them. We turned the reigns over to the little ones to decide what to do first…..this was THEIR area, and their opportunity to call the shots……and they all opted to make a beeline to Ocean Commotion.

14947577_10155162372671416_7417952417382199270_n.jpg

Lisa and Steve hopped aboard with Cadence and Alaina, but Johan got cold feet and re-emerged from the line with his daddy to watch the girls take the first ride. All it took, however, was to see the joy on his sisters’ faces on that first ride, and he found his courage and dashed back into the queue to board the boat for the next turn aboard.

14956047_10155162372751416_2609883724873912957_n.jpg

Lines were short and crowds minimal, so basically the only wait any of the Happy Harbor rides was just for the current ride to end before we were all loaded up. While they weren’t true walk-ons, per se, they were as close as you could get :thumbsup2.

Swishy Fishies were the next ride of choice. While the swaying of the swing boat was not my style, I was more than happy to join little Alaina in a tea cup for a sea-inspired spin. Plus, I figured I was safe with the littlest one because there was no way she had the strength to spin us fast enough to be out of my comfort zone ;).

14910505_10155162373186416_1996213569563624512_n.jpg

Since Alaina had convinced Aunt Gina to be her ride partner, Cadence snagged Uncle Steve’s hand and dragged him on too. While we had doubts that Big Steve would fit those long legs and big knees around the center spinner, he managed to wedge himself in :crowded:……much to the delight of a very happy niece.

14947620_10155162373246416_1722278747455772953_n.jpg

All seven of us hopped aboard one of my personal favourites, the Sea Carousel, for a gentle under-the-sea twirl around. Cadence was initially a bit embarrassed to be on such a “little kid” ride, but Aunt Gina’s enthusiasm convinced her to join us….albeit reluctantly. She had fun in the end, even if she was less than willing to admit it :p.

14925634_10155162373656416_8854462584406522594_n.jpg

A couple of the rides were closed for a variety of reasons, so we let the three stooges run and play on the massive jungle gym for a bit while we four adults found a spot to sit in the shade. While they would have been more than happy to have spent the balance of their time at SeaWorld in that very spot, Joe and Lisa wanted them to see more of the park before we called it day…..so despite their plaintive pleas for “just a few more minutes!!”, we eventually cajoled them out from the climbing structure, with promises from their parents to return on another day before the end of the vacation. Joe and Lisa had unlimited 14 days passes for their family (thanks to their Discovery Cove booking for later in the week), so a return to Happy Harbor would be easy to facilitate.

14947722_10155162374181416_6045026613010248918_n.jpg

While the kids had enjoyed their playtime, we adults had decided to make Mako the next stop of the day. With the low crowds in the park and extreme nature of the coaster, we didn’t expect there to be much of a line, even in the mid-afternoon hours…..and we were right. Joe, Lisa and Steve all headed into the queue (with a 5 minute posted wait time) while I kept the kiddos busy in the gift shop.

14993469_10155162374746416_8465505478714154923_n.jpg

We stumbled upon a pressed penny machine which the kids were super interested in. A check of my wallet found a wad of change….much of it quarters and pennies….so we decided to give it a try :woohoo:. On all of our trips to Orlando, can you believe I had never pressed a penny? :confused3

14925770_10155162374521416_2207696844687438862_n.jpg

14937319_10155162374601416_2669405738272189362_n.jpg

These machines are ADDICTIVE :laughing:. Thankfully I had enough quarters and pennies to make sure everyone got their turn at the machine, including yours truly (hey, I couldn’t be left out of the fun either, could I?). Lisa, Joe and Steve easily found us after their ride, as the excited squeals and chatter led them right to us.

14925739_10155162374731416_842635195555651583_n.jpg

14956569_10155162374821416_6074799766687053993_n.jpg

I handed the three kids off to their mom, who began digging out all the quarters and pennies she had in HER wallet (yes, I had created a monster with the pressed penny machine…..actually, make that THREE monsters) while Joe and Steve accompanied me back to the photo kiosk to have their ride picture added to our Photokey account.

14915307_10155162281531416_902069136081882360_n.jpg

Rave reviews from Steve, Joe and Lisa on Make, by the way. They adored the thrill, though Joe was apparently certain at more than one point in the ride that he may fall to his death due to the reasonably minimal restraints.

14956022_10155162375066416_5550922672466155051_n.jpg

The little ones were all pretty excited to have their own custom shark souvenirs to carry around, and with all of us re-convened after Mako, we explored around the new Shark Encounter area for a bit. There is lots of great information here, and Cadence enjoyed stopping to read the various interactive exhibits to her younger sister and brother.

14906824_10155162375056416_1832986421791692013_n.jpg

14962632_10155162375106416_7947971696970663251_n.jpg

14925735_10155162375266416_482891359014821890_n.jpg

Next up: more SeaWorld. We were determined to cram as much fun into this day as humanly possible! :jumping1:

Hi Gina! I am all caught up now with your trip report and have enjoyed reading it. My family went to Orlando over Christmas week again this past year (a non-Disney park trip as we did those parks exclusively last September.) Not sure if you remember, but I had asked you some advice about Annual Passes for Seaworld and we did end up purchasing them (we actually got the ones that cover all the parks including Busch Gardens in FL and VA and Seasme Place.) So we also went to BG in Tampa during that trip and have plans to do some trips this spring and summer to BG in Williamsburg and Seasame Place in PA before returning to Orlando next Christmas. I had also asked you about dinner shows and you recommended The Outta Control Magic Dinner Show and I found a great Groupon for that. We loved the show (especially my 13 year old son) and then explored WonderWorks and my kiddos had tons of fun there. Thanks for the advice!
We love Seaworld so much as well. My one daughter and I actually did our first tour this past Christmas trip (the Behind the Scenes tour) and we absolutely loved it. I look forward to doing more tours in the future.

Great update! We visited Seaworld on a rainy day one fall when the kids were younger, and I think we were the only ones in the Happy Harbor section of the park (except the employees, of course). I've got pictures of my son riding an empty Shamu rollercoaster! It was certainly a memorable afternoon.

Looks like everyone had a fun day! And Mako with a 5 minute wait time - jealous!!! It wasn't open yet when I visited last year and Sea World isn't on the agenda for this year's trip but Mako looks sooooo good, I desperately want to ride!

I can't believe you've never pressed a penny before! My husband collects pressed pennies, they make a fun (as well as cheap and easily portable!) souvenir. It's amazing how many places have penny machines once you start looking for them.

Yep, currently looking into back up plans. There is an afternoon flight on Thursday with open seats but no rooms available here on WDW property except the $600+ ones. I just emailed the agent that booked us this time to see if they have any rooms. I'm not holding out hope though. DH days the forecast is looking fine for tomorrow night. What I'm seeing is storm warning in effect until 8pm....out flight leaves here at 9:30pm.

Saw some photos of the 401 east of Kingston, and OMG.....its horrible back home :crazy2:. Of course, your neck of the woods might not be so bad (hopefully that's the case). Did you hear back from your travel agent? $600 is a fair chunk of change to lay out for one night....especially with the dreadful exchange rate.

BTW, I took myself out for Mickeys waffles and it's FREEZING right now.

Mickey waffles and NO PHOTO?!?!? I'll be in the corner crying :sad:.

Still reading along! I love seeing all your new adventures! Capones looks looks like a great experience!
I love your time with your nieces and nephew/family! How fun that you can spend time with them on vacation doing fun things together! Truly special! (They are adorable!!)
I've never been to a Maggiano's~ we don't have one by us, but there is one by my DD's college. Next time we go visit, I'm definitely going to arrange a stop to eat there! You've totally convinced me with your posts! Yum!
I agree with a pp~ Columbus is my home airport, and it is so easy to fly Southwest in and out of. There definitely are great prices to be had if you hit it right.
It's also a great city to put on your list of places to visit! Lots of nice things to do here in the spring and summer! :flower3:

I just Google mapped it, and its only around 3 hours from here to Columbus: very doable if need be :thumbsup2. It's so cool to have so many airport options....something I'm definitely not used to!

Those kids are super sweet.....not only are they cutie patooties, they are nice kids, too ::yes::. Their momma and daddy are doing a good job raising those little people.

Thanks for the tips, Gina! Honestly, it will all come down to our budget for Capone's. I really want my kids and MIL to see La Nouba before it closes, and that's going to cost big bucks! DH and I will celebrate our 20th anniversary on the trip, so maybe we can do a date night there or something :)

I hear ya on the budget: I was thinking it would have been nice to squeeze in La Nouba before its gone, but I'm guessing it won't happen. Unless, of course, I win the lottery sometime between now and October....although, I'd have a better chance of that if I actually bought a ticket :rotfl:.

Hi Gina! I am all caught up now with your trip report and have enjoyed reading it. My family went to Orlando over Christmas week again this past year (a non-Disney park trip as we did those parks exclusively last September.) Not sure if you remember, but I had asked you some advice about Annual Passes for Seaworld and we did end up purchasing them (we actually got the ones that cover all the parks including Busch Gardens in FL and VA and Seasme Place.) So we also went to BG in Tampa during that trip and have plans to do some trips this spring and summer to BG in Williamsburg and Seasame Place in PA before returning to Orlando next Christmas. I had also asked you about dinner shows and you recommended The Outta Control Magic Dinner Show and I found a great Groupon for that. We loved the show (especially my 13 year old son) and then explored WonderWorks and my kiddos had tons of fun there. Thanks for the advice!
We love Seaworld so much as well. My one daughter and I actually did our first tour this past Christmas trip (the Behind the Scenes tour) and we absolutely loved it. I look forward to doing more tours in the future.

How fun! I am so glad you bought the passes AND have enjoyed using them so far :goodvibes. The Behind the Scenes tour is a fabulous one: I bet your kids adored getting to pet the penguin!!

I am also thrilled that the Outta Control Dinner Show was a hit :thumbsup2 . That reminds me, I want to get back there again sometime, so I should keep an eye out on Groupon. We've still only done it the one time, and its absolutely worth a repeat. And we still have never visited Wonderworks!! My Orlando to-do list still hasn't been exhausted.

Mother Nature is clearly bi-polar. As soon as she's ready for help, I can get her hooked up with some much needed medication and therapy!

Amen, sister :rolleyes2. This weather is the pits. Oh sunshine, where art thou?!?!? :sunny:

I'm considering hibernation, at least for the next week.

Great update! We visited Seaworld on a rainy day one fall when the kids were younger, and I think we were the only ones in the Happy Harbor section of the park (except the employees, of course). I've got pictures of my son riding an empty Shamu rollercoaster! It was certainly a memorable afternoon.

I'm actually surprised at how few folks take advantage of that great section of the park. We often see it crowd-free and quiet :confused3. If I had little ones, that would be the first place we'd go!

Looks like everyone had a fun day! And Mako with a 5 minute wait time - jealous!!! It wasn't open yet when I visited last year and Sea World isn't on the agenda for this year's trip but Mako looks sooooo good, I desperately want to ride!

I can't believe you've never pressed a penny before! My husband collects pressed pennies, they make a fun (as well as cheap and easily portable!) souvenir. It's amazing how many places have penny machines once you start looking for them.

So far, the worst wait time we've seen for Mako is 10 minutes, and that has been rare. Maybe our timing is just impeccable, but I suspect that its extreme enough to warrant a large percentage of park visitors to take a pass.

As for the pressed pennies, that day got me hooked :lmao:. I ended up buying myself a pressed penny book from Aquatica and indulged in a few of my own as our two weeks marched on. I plan to get a few from the other parks as well, especially from Universal on our upcoming spring getaway. As you said, its a very affordable and easy-to-store souvenir. I guess I should actually start a change jar now to set aside my quarters and shiny pennies in preparation for April! :)

As for the pressed pennies, that day got me hooked :lmao:. I ended up buying myself a pressed penny book from Aquatica and indulged in a few of my own as our two weeks marched on. I plan to get a few from the other parks as well, especially from Universal on our upcoming spring getaway. As you said, its a very affordable and easy-to-store souvenir. I guess I should actually start a change jar now to set aside my quarters and shiny pennies in preparation for April!
I have heard thru the years that dull old pennies are best
Googled what pennies to use and found this information.
Depending on what penny you use, you may get a smear of zinc (silver looking metal). In 1982, pennies were made with both copper and zinc. Suggest you use pre-1982 pennies.
You might want to get the design pressed onto the "face" of the penny because the "tail" side sometimes leaves parts of the monument and you end up with an incomplete image.
Generally, if you insert the penny so that the "face" side is to the right, that is the side that will be pressed with the design. Also the quarter to the far left tends to be the quarter that gets pressed in Quarter Presses.
Judy

I have heard thru the years that dull old pennies are best
Googled what pennies to use and found this information.
Depending on what penny you use, you may get a smear of zinc (silver looking metal). In 1982, pennies were made with both copper and zinc. Suggest you use pre-1982 pennies.
You might want to get the design pressed onto the "face" of the penny because the "tail" side sometimes leaves parts of the monument and you end up with an incomplete image.
Generally, if you insert the penny so that the "face" side is to the right, that is the side that will be pressed with the design. Also the quarter to the far left tends to be the quarter that gets pressed in Quarter Presses.
Judy

How interesting!! I would have had no idea. I am especially going to pay attention to putting the face side of the penny to the right: some of our pressed pennies definitely turned out better than others, and I'm wondering now if that's the big reason why? Stay tuned, I will try all of your suggestions and let you know the results of my experiment :thumbsup2.

Thursday, October 20th (continued)

14925799_10155162375261416_501621913476615048_n.jpg

After touring around Shark Wreck Reef, we all went through the Shark Encounter together, which was a huge hit with kids and adults alike.

15032284_10155165647191416_2570340773586957831_n.jpg

It’s hard not to be blown away by the cool factor of that massive glass tunnel. Going through this attraction without Jake always makes me miss him a little more than usual: he has loved sharks since he was a wee boy, and this was always a must-do attraction at SeaWorld for our family. We watched Johan’s wide eyes taking everything in (with his shark hat, purchased at the front entrance earlier that day, still perched proudly on his head) and it made our hearts smile :goodvibes.

Once we had gone through the entire attraction, Joe and Lisa decided to take the kids back to the photo station inside and get the Mako pictures done, so Steve and I agreed to meet them outside when they were done. We handed them off our Photokey card, and wandered out into the afternoon sun. We had pre-purchased the pass that allowed for three animal feedings for a discounted price ($10 less our passmember discount….the regular price for each tray of food is $5 if purchased individually) and still had one entitlement left, so we decided to feed the sharks: something we had never done on previous visits.

14993445_10155162376781416_3941050482136418087_n.jpg

It was a fun little way to pass the time, but probably the least exciting animal feeding that we have done at SeaWorld. Sharks, of course, don’t have the same levels of anticipation or appreciation as the sea lions, nor the coolness (or weirdness?) factor of feeding the sting rays. While we can now add this to the list of things we’ve done at the park, I probably wouldn’t pay to do so again. I’d rather feed the sea lions an extra time instead.

14925447_10155162375406416_6475597122510793539_n.jpg

14900434_10155162375801416_6551423851221777374_n.jpg

I must admit, though, there's something very calming and therapeutic about watching the fish and stingrays swim. Makes me yearn to have a big, beautiful aquarium in the middle of my living room.

14907259_10155162375391416_3907015939368988299_n.jpg

14907689_10155162375741416_4021773394354855291_n.jpg

After reconvening with the rest of the family, we continued our way toward the Waterfront, as Lisa had noted that Cadence wanted to use some of her souvenir money to pick a pearl at the Pearl Factory. She had seen photos of our pick a pearl adventures on Facebook, and wanted to get a necklace with her little savings as a memory of her first trip to Florida. We crossed our fingers that the pearl divers would be there (making the experience SUPER memorable for her) but alas, they were not. She was not at all disappointed (being her first visit, she really didn’t know much about the divers anyway) and was super excited to pick her oyster.

14963221_10155162377011416_7735710300613756002_n.jpg

As we were waiting for Cadence’s pearl to be cleaned and placed in the necklace setting of her choice ( a small silver dolphin of which she was exceptionally proud), we noticed that they had opened the doors to Pets Ahoy, so we adults thought it would be a good idea for an opportunity to cool off indoors while enjoying a show that the kids would surely love. We stopped for a washroom break and then proceeded inside to secure some pretty good seats. The kids were starting to show signs of tiring (the heat, the excitement, and the effects of walking on those little legs, were all starting to make all the munchkins a little irritable) so this was a timely choice :thumbsup2.

14963256_10155162377551416_7134190559503851531_n.jpg

As I mentioned before, these kids live on a small hobby farm…..they are animal enthusiasts with numerous pets of their own (and Lisa is a dog groomer by trade), so Pets Ahoy truly wowed them.

14900416_10155162377976416_6702695984434561420_n.jpg

14925669_10155162378401416_285723560417660039_n.jpg

14915262_10155162378886416_6164205302323106988_n.jpg

Of course, yours truly is a sucker for the cats. I’m always mesmerized by what they have trained those felines to do: I have a hard time getting mine to move over on the bed at night :rotfl:.

14925446_10155162378226416_426799027748589985_n.jpg

And the ending? It brought on a fit of giggles from all those little ones. Still makes me laugh every time, too :laughing:.

14955920_10155162378751416_8625400781385695241_n.jpg

After Pet’s Ahoy, we moved on to one final show before calling it a day……even after the indoor break, some rehydration, and a round of granola bars, those little bodies were still looking pretty droopy. We didn’t want to overdo their first day (every parent knows that you’ve gotta know when to hold ‘em, and when to fold ‘em) so headed the short distance to the Sea Lion & Otter Theater for the next showing of Sea Lion High.

14915321_10155162379211416_6554496959422777024_n.jpg

Much as I miss the amazing mime that used to precede this show, I do enjoy the fun antics of this fellow. Nowhere near the same quality of entertainment that the mime provided, of course, but he’s still good for some pre-show laughs. Despite their weariness, the two youngest kids really enjoyed getting into the spirit of the fun, too.

14915484_10155162379576416_2067410684689218506_n.jpg

Clyde and Seamore and their crew of classmates, as always, did not disappoint. Everyone banded together to work with their flippered friends to ensure that they were able to graduate with the balance of their class.

14907230_10155162379621416_4705273747452917065_n.jpg

From the science lab……..

14955947_10155162380036416_5389911499818960581_n.jpg

……to the gym…….

14925286_10155162380246416_1008627343877003226_n.jpg

.....Clyde and Seamore had the full support of their school: even the cafeteria lady was rooting for them.

14915217_10155162380206416_4682027444371516054_n.jpg

By the end of the show, Clyde & Seamore had saved the school jock from drowning:

14962677_10155162380561416_1277833301562516314_n.jpg

…..and the entire audience let out a cheer of delight as not only did they earn the right to graduate, but they were also awarded the much-coveted scholarships.

14956639_10155162380716416_663499092021321589_n.jpg

Garfield the walrus even made a BIG appearance for the grand finale, and was (as always) a crowd favourite :cheer2:.

14955996_10155162380906416_5793903717272537342_n.jpg

On our way to the park entrance, Lisa and the kids wanted to browse for a few more souvenir purchases at the gift shop, so while we shopped with the kids, we sent Steve and Joe for one more ride on Manta (which was posting a 10 minute wait….and the actual time was even shorter). While Lisa and the kids checked out with the Shamu Emporium cashier, I walked back to meet the guys at the ride exit, got their picture on the Photokey, and directed them to where the rest of the troop was waiting.

14915350_10155162281881416_8702170573227223229_n.jpg

The kiddos needed to cool down and decompress, so Joe and Lisa said they would be returning to the villa to let them loose in one of the pools before they whipped up a healthy dinner in their villa. Steve and I suggested we would meet up with them later, then, after we had enjoyed a quiet adult dinner at a new restaurant we were excited to try for the first time. After a round of hugs and a promise to the kids that YES, we would see them again later FOR SURE, we headed to our rental and they loaded their crew into their van.

Ah, silence :angel:. And air conditioning :cloud9:. We realized right then we were as hot and tired as those kids ::yes::. We’d just been so busy we had hardly noticed.

Next up, Steve lives out his meatatarian dream dining experience: endless carnivorous delights, delivered right to our table . The big question was….would Texas de Brazil manage to tempt my finicky taste buds too? :confused:

So our last day has sadly arrived. The weather has turned cold here. It's currently about 9 Celsius and we are not dressed for it so we are freezing. We managed to get in to the Plaza for lunch to warm up.

In MK news....I just saw Bruce Willis!!!!! Oh yes I did

We are all waiting for the selfie!!

Looks like a fantastic day was had by all!! The kids are adorable, and I bet it was wonderful to show them all of your favourite things. I also imagine you guys enjoyed your evening down time with just the two of you :). No matter how sweet the children, it's a different pace isn't it?

And yes dancin'.. pictures!!!!!:smooth:

Last edited:
A great day at SW for all. My daughter used to love Shamus kids area, I miss going in now.

It's amazing how tiring it can be watching all those shows and going on the rides, I get you we're both looking forward to your meal and a bit of "downtime " :) looking forward to the meal update , I mean, where were the food pictures today!

As for dancin' Bruce Willis in MK, wow just wow, any more details?

I have to do this in parts because I have so much to catch up on! :rotfl:

So here's through page 7!

I don't know how I missed that you're back and started a new TR! So sorry because this comment will be super long as I get caught up!

Dash and Violet got sooo big since the last picture I saw!

Also I'd love to add you on Facebook! If you don't feel comfortable exchanging it publically I could PM you mine or vice versa.

Of course, that’s poised to change now that we’re living in America. With a Chili’s, Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse, Cheesecake Factory, and virtually every other major chain we love within a 10 mile radius of our new community (and some located as close as around the corner), I suspect that future trips will be approached much differently where meals and food are concerned
cid:ACB8D16B-30D7-4AC2-A12F-AEAC40763D77@mobilenotes.apple.com
. But, I digress…..

That's mostly why we skip out on those restaurants when we go because they're so close to home. But I would want to try them too if I didn't live around them. I'm glad you can have some of your favorites more often now! :cheer2:

Arriving at the Cheesecake Factory, we were not surprised to notice that there was a wait to be seated. This always seems to be a popular place at the Walden Galleria, but with nothing else on the evening’s agenda (other than an early bedtime to ensure we were well rested when the wake-up call came in the following morning for our crack-of-dawn flight), we didn’t mind hanging out until our pager went off. They told us to expect about 30 minutes before we were seated, but we were ushered in within half that time
cid:CC50348A-FEFC-447D-9C74-B0816F0E9AFE@mobilenotes.apple.com

I have never been to a Cheesecake Factory that wasn't crazy packed!

We have learned from previous trips to forego any appetizers here: filling up on nibbles means we’ll be hard pressed to finish the massive-sized entrees, and completely eliminate any possibility of having enough stomach capacity left for one of their delectable desserts.

Now that you can go more often you should try the baked potato tots though. It's the best appetizer!

I must apologize for the lack of photos taken on this initial day……quite honestly, after so much time apart, we were much more inclined to just talk and get caught up and soak up each other’s company than to be snapping away with the camera
cid:2A29B082-D28A-491F-8D88-139BC8F041E4@mobilenotes.apple.com
. We had been missing each other SO MUCH that we were completely absorbed with each other .

Totally understandable I'd hate to be without Josh for so long. I'm so glad you two got to spend 2 weeks together after having to spend so much time apart!

Note the state of the Pirate beard: he had been growing this for months especially for our two Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Parties, and man…..was it a gnarly, ratty looking spectacle. Perfect, he said, for a pirate
cid:0C102ED8-412A-41A1-B6F0-2C594211E5BE@mobilenotes.apple.com

pirate:

Much as we wanted to each enjoy a different dessert, there was no way we could both manage a separate slice of cake. In fact, neither of us were able to even bear the thought of sharing a slice there in the restaurant: once again, dessert would have to be taken to-go and enjoyed later that night in the hotel room once our entrees had partially digested.

I always get dessert there even when I'm too stuffed to move. :rotfl:

Calories don’t count on vacation anyway, right?

Nope! :thumbsup2

Skyauction for the crazy price of $321 all-in. That translates into $45.86 per night for a two bedroom, two bath villa with no additional charges for resort fees, parking or internet access.

That's a great price!

The villa must have been recently renovated within the last few years, because the finishings were modern and really quite nice. Our kitchen was great, with a large breakfast bar and a small side island.

I think that's incredibly nice and a really good deal!

We check in for our reservation, was given our pager, and settled into a couple of rocking chairs to wait for our chance to be seated. There were a LOT of people milling about, and numerous people coming in and out of Trail’s End as the minutes ticked slowly by and our reservation time came and went with the pager still silent in Steve’s lap.

We had to wait 40 minutes in December it was awful!

We had booked the private carriage ride in advance of our visit, so the cost for the activity was paid in full (including the tip) in advance of our arrival. We had debated the $45 thirty-minute carriage ride against the $8 per person hay ride for quite some time before booking, but ultimately having the carriage to ourselves felt like it would be worth the additional $29 charge. I do want to enjoy the hay ride on a future visit someday too, though.

Ooo we did a Christmas one. I never thought about there being a lot of Halloween decorations...:scratchin

Turns out our driver didn’t get the memo that we were seeking a tranquil experience. While she was very nice, she was also VERY talkative: she kept up a steady (and rather loud) stream of conversation for the entire half-hour ride.

Oh no! Our driver was pretty quiet.

And......a little something for @dancin Disney style . This should spark a comment or two
cid:E51478C8-A89D-4809-99DB-AC35752FA669@mobilenotes.apple.com
:

cid:C0E7E23C-489F-4259-9C0A-2EF37EE9374F@mobilenotes.apple.com

:laughing:

Downtown Disney had never held a whole lot of appeal to us, so this stunning metamorphosis was enough to knock us off our feet.

I know it's stunning! We've only been once before the change.

Of course, we stopped at Ghirardelli’s to enjoy a sample of the flavor of the month. We were a little disappointed it was pumpkin spice (though not surprised….why is everything pumpkin spice flavoured in the USA during the fall?!?) but it wasn’t as overpoweringly pumpkiny as we anticipated.

It just is :rotfl: People love it.

I have heard great things about DLuxe Burger too
cid:53083C80-C737-46F0-ACB9-71428064F3CB@mobilenotes.apple.com
. I suspect we will be choosing more "unique to Orlando" dining experiences on future trips versus the American chains we love, since many of those (Steak & Shake, Olive Garden, Chili's, Longhorns, etc.) are all located in our new community. DLuxe burger, in particular, might be on the itinerary for our next vacation.

DLuxe Burger is so good! Definitely worth a try.

I agree wholeheartedly: while we loved both parties, the Halloween party just felt more "Halloweeny" than the Christmas party did "Christmassy" (if that makes sense). While we'd absolutely do both of them again without hesitation, the Halloween events take top marks in our book.
I totally agree.

In all of our visits, we have yet to ride the Liberty Square Riverboat…..one of these days, we’re going to have to change that. It just looks so darn charming, and oozes Americana to me

cid:18DAE445-A832-4537-9393-BE282945CA52@mobilenotes.apple.com

We haven't gone on it either. It always seems too hot to go on it!

I still miss the mime. :( I do enjoy the new Sea Lion show but I think I liked the Pirates Island show more. Although, it could just be the color scheme. I am not a fan of so much yellow. Just doesn't look right to me.

I'm a bit surprised the divers weren't at the Pearl factory. They were there in September. But they weren't there in January. I hope they bring them back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter