Do you like Disney World or Universal more? And why?

Again, to each his or her own. I know families that love planning out every second of their WDW trip and doing rope drop, and they have a good time - make that a great time.

Oh definitely. We love doing rope drop, but we are normally up at 6 AM, and out of the house by 7 AM, so sleeping in to make 9 AM rope drop is still a luxury - plus our daughter goes on mental breakdown after about 8 PM, even though she's 13. So early to bed early to rise works for us.

I get the express pass -but you must admit you pay through the nose for it - either via a steep daily fee or a $400+ per night hotel room. (We plan on doing express pass next year when we will be there Presidents Weekend. This year since we are during the week, we are living without it.

Absolutely! Couldn't have said it any better. We prefer to...
6D22F607-9793-42A2-B6A2-EB62F64BA8C5_zpsvfcujp68.jpg

Kinda disappointed the jimmy Fallon walls are almost all down. We have some hilarious poses infront of his different poses. Can't post them here but they are great. Well, maybe one...
FD72C7EA-BEAC-4362-929D-842760B52AE1_zpssecsenah.jpg

OMG, I see Shipwreck Nachos . . . excuse me while I find a napkin to wipe away my drool. I am in love with Shipwreck's even though I overdosed on them last trip.

Oh definitely. We love doing rope drop, but we are normally up at 6 AM, and out of the house by 7 AM, so sleeping in to make 9 AM rope drop is still a luxury - plus our daughter goes on mental breakdown after about 8 PM, even though she's 13. So early to bed early to rise works for us.

I get the express pass -but you must admit you pay through the nose for it - either via a steep daily fee or a $400+ per night hotel room. (We plan on doing express pass next year when we will be there Presidents Weekend. This year since we are during the week, we are living without it.

Not sure I completely agree with this statement. We are going 6 nights the week before Christmas - at RPR, 4 people, $180 per night. The price does double beginning Friday, 12/22, so we are heading over Discovery Cove package. Not exactly paying through the nose for it. Granted, it is sort of like telling us how much cheaper WDW is because of free dining, even though my family is tied to the academic calendar and that option is not available for us.

Even with that, I have priced out options for my family many times and many different times of the year, and I always end up within 10% between WDW and Uni. I don't stay at Values at WDW and I don't stay at Cabana Bay at Uni. Nothing wrong with them, but my family prefers RPR, and I gladly pay the upcharge for the Express Pass. With an apples to apples comparison between hotels at both destination, the price point is very close.

Add this family to the list of NEVER knowing what Early Entry/Rope Drop even looks like, just not a vacation to us.

Add this family to the list of NEVER knowing what Early Entry/Rope Drop even looks like, just not a vacation to us.

Oh - I encourage every other family I know to sleep in at both Universal and Disney. After all you are on vacation!

Meanwhile, we get a TON of stuff done before 11 AM, and while everyone else is waiting in long lines (or paying express pass upcharges) for the rides we walked onto, we are chilling out and enjoying the lesser rides/shows or heading back to our resort to relax.

For Giggles - I am staying 12/16 - 12/22, RPR Club Level with Explorer Ticket - $2,456.05

Priced same time frame, Carribean Beach (Moderate, no club level), hoppers w/ Water Park - 3,440.02

If I stay at a Value (All Star Movies), I can cut the deficit in half and only pay $2,959.23

Still not sure how the Express Pass is considered so expensive if you stay long enough to take advantage of the SMSM rates.

Just out of curiosity I priced out two identical trips--one at WDW at POP Century for 7 nights/6 days and one at Royal Pacific Resort. Both with park hopper type tickets. There was over $500 difference in the price with Universal being the cheaper. And its package includes the express pass. Plus I know the food is cheaper and better at Uni. I don't see the express pass as "paying through the nose" at all.

Disney is a wonderful vacation. Its fun and magical and has all the elements of a great time. But there are some definite reasons why Universal could win out in a toss up. Especially when your children pass the Princess stage.

I want to take my grandkids to Orlando and would love to do a big Disney trip like we did when dd was little. But the total cost for equal trips from then to now has more than doubled. I don't know if it will happen. But, I could see us going to Universal and taking a day over to MK or AK so they could experience the magic of both places.

Exactly!!! That is a huge plus too.
And you have the boats, 10 min walk etc etc! I guess you can tell where my family of 5 has AP's. I grew up going to WDW since I lived in Orlando. My kids don't even ask to go to WDW since our 2015 visit there. We travel 6 to 10 times a year for USO. Like someone else said, different strokes for different folks.

My sons are now tweens and grew up going to both 3 or 4 times per year. With Disney, we really have moved onto the cruise line as our preferred vacation with a Uni ending at RPR (or SF). I am also obsessed with Animal Kingdom Lodge so we stay there and do a party if we go to the Disney parks at all. We had 6 days hoppers in August and we only used 4 days as we were just burn out from years of rope drop and go go go. With Universal, the family gets along better at a less frantic pace. This year, we are much more excited with Volcano Bay rather than Pandora. Universal is building amazing things quicker.

Just jumping in here after just reading the title of this thread. I love WDW but the pressure with all the planning of ADR's and FP is getting to be so stressful at this point. My DD is a teen now so goes on more of the bigger rides and we all love HP. So Universal has a lot of appeal. Also we are leaving soon for a trip to Universal and I'm loving the no stress. We are going for 4 days and have no real plans, feel so relaxed. It's like a real vacation.

For Giggles - I am staying 12/16 - 12/22, RPR Club Level with Explorer Ticket - $2,456.05

Priced same time frame, Carribean Beach (Moderate, no club level), hoppers w/ Water Park - 3,440.02

If I stay at a Value (All Star Movies), I can cut the deficit in half and only pay $2,959.23

In fairness though...you're comparing 2 parks and one water park to 4 parks and 2 water parks.

To be fair two of those Disney parks are under heavy construction. And only one will be Done this year.

Including Animal Kingdom as a park under heavy construction isn't fair, though. Construction of Pandora at Animal Kingdom has never had ANY affect on the park whatsoever, so there's no point in including it. Nothing was closed to build Pandora...zero affect on park-goers there.

DHS is under HEAVY construction, but what's really been affected by it thus far?

Backlot Studios Tour...who cares. The part through catastrophe canyon was the only part worth going for.
Lights, Motors, Action...again, not much lost there....yawn.

The headliners of the park are still there in full operation...Rockin' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, TS Midway Mania, and Star Tours.

As I've said before...I love both Disney AND Universal. I do believe in being fair and comparing apples to apples though. I expect Disney to cost more, because there is more to do at the current time.

In fairness though...you're comparing 2 parks and one water park to 4 parks and 2 water parks.
The point of the post was too reply to the notion that "you pay through the nose" for Express Pass, not to discuss the relative worth. A previous post had mentioned that Express Pass was great, it was just very expensive.

To expand on this - I have spent many years on these boards reading posts of how expensive Universal is, how the Express Pass is great but expensive, that Universal nickel and dimes because they charge for parking (and WDW would never do that!), and so on and so forth. My example, which is very fair (same # of days, same type of ticket), shows that all of the fees for FastPass+, parking, etc. that appear "free" or "included" because of one package pricing are in fact as real as at Universal, where they are more transparent and itemized.

It still comes down to a simple fact in my opinion - which IPs your family likes better. My kids will watch Nickelodeon over Disney 6 out of 7 days. They prefer Minions, Transformers, Harry Potter to the Disney IPs. Now, Disney has the princesses, so I feel obligated to get my daughter to Magic Kingdom every two years or so. Hence, we will visit the Christmas Party this year. With the exception of Magic Kingdom, my family gets bored after 3-4 hours at the other 3 parks, however, we can't get enough of Universal - so I am not sure why I need to be fair and pay more at Disney for that boredom. Why do my kids ride Men in Black over and over and over with Express Pass, but are ok with one ride on Buzz? Don't know, but it is just real for my family.

OK. We just spent some or all of the last 4 days at Universal for the first time in 17 years. We had a 13 year old (DD), a 47 and 49 year old (DW and myself) and a 70 year old (DMIL). Now, I can't quite compare apples to apples, as we normally stay on site for Disney, and this was a case where we stayed off-site, so I will try to avoid comparing that aspect of the trip. (Though - I would generally say that staying off-site for Universal was not really a problem at all. The biggest issue was the walk to the front of the park. While DMIL walks very well, the 1/2 mile trek from the parking garage, forcing you through Citywalk, seemed a bit much. However, the security system and the moving sidewalks and everything were very nicely done.)

However, Disney won with everyone in our party hands-down. And here's why:

1) The music. This never occurred to me before the trip, but Disney literally has 100s of songs that are part of all of our upbringing, not even me and wife and DD, but even DMIL. They play everywhere in Disney, and you constantly find yourself humming them. Universal literally has none. Not one. I mean, we tried to come up with some...and we hummed the Harry Potter theme, and the Jurassic Park theme, and the Jaws theme, and then...that was it. Music to me is such a huge part of the Disney experience and I missed it.

2) The rides. There are some absolutely amazing rides at Universal. The Harry Potter rides (especially Forbidden Journey) are stunning. The new Kong attraction was great fun. Spiderman still amazes after 20 years. The coasters are fantastic. That said - our DD is 13 years old, and while i know she is not the norm, but she is still afraid of loud scary rides. I had avoided Universal for so long because of this. Well, turns out Dad was right. She rodes MANY of the rides (Refused to ride The Mummy / Kong / or any of the coasters, but rode everything else.) but for the most part kept her eyes closed the entire rides. We had to tell her what happened on Forbidden Journey because she couldn't keep her eyes open. My wife also closed her eyes a lot. DMIL of course didn't ride much of anything. In fact, I am probably the only one in our party that enjoyed all the rides. (I kept asking DD if there was anything she wanted to ride more than once, there wasn't ONE ride she wanted to re-ride.)

But that said - the rides individually are amazing, but on a whole, I am less than impressed. Every ride ASSAULTS you with sounds and with images,and with bumps and spins and tossing and jostling. Quite honestly, it got old. I now get the complaints about "yet another screen ride". The last day we rode Transformers, and again its wild and all, but it became as dull as watching a transformers movie. We had just had enough and were all glad our trip was ending.

3) Quality: The Harry Potter sections were amazing, but they just highlighted the overall sort of lack of quality in much of the rest of the parks. Lands like Toon Lagoon and Suess-land appeared faded and worn. Some other areas just looked cheap - the Marvel land and some parts of Universal Studios. And especially glaring - we were walking through the Marvel Land, we saw Captain America greeting, and then less than 100 feet later, they were doing the superhero show where they come out on ATVs - and there was Captain America again. My DD (who is old enough to grasp what the "characters" are) was the first to comment on it - "why is Captain America there when he's over there?". Bad, bad show Universal - I quite honestly think this is nearly the worst 'sin" that a theme park can do...I mean for us it didn't matter, but really? Overall, the team members in general rarely seemed to be "embraced with the theme". An example: We got butterbeer ice cream at Diagon Alley - when we asked to put nuts on it, the TM said "We aren't allowed to do that, it's Trademarked." Bad answer! Guest should be told something like: "The butterbeer ice cream is enchanted and can't be altered!" While the team members were all very good, I can think of other cases where they were not keeping to the "show".

4) Crowd control/size : It was pretty crowded on Tuesday, but the other two days not so bad, but holy moly - going into Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade was crazy, especially our first day. Lines for everything, people everywhere. I mean, this isn't Universals fault per se - more JK Rowling and her requirement for autheticity - but waiting in line to get into stores, and to get ice cream, and to go to the bathroom. The wand shop was almost unpleasant with the crowds in there. I don't know how to get around it, but the best aspects of the park were damaged by how many people were there to enjoy it.

However, I had forgotten how SMALL these parks actually are. Universal uses the confusing maze of streets layout to try and make it look sizeable, but from back to front of the park it's like a 5-minute walk. In the end, this should maybe be considered a plus because your feet don't get as tired, but it makes it so all the rides are right on top of eachother, and you really can't get immersed in the theme. IOA does a much better job of this for the most part, but there are still too many places where you can see one land too easily from the other. Especially glaring is the way you are standing Hogsmeade and you can look over and see the Jurassic Park gate. I'm a big theming guy - and to me that lack of space really hurts.

5) The "2-park pass conundrum" Maybe this just bothers me - but the way the essentially FORCE you to buy a hopper pass in order to fully enjoy the Harry Potter experience. Yes - I'm talking about the Hogwarts Express. In our case, we bought 3 APs for DW, DD and myself to take advantage of coming back next year. We waited 45 minutes for this ride - and it was barely worth it. I mean, I get the experience for a Harry Potter fan - but it's basically going in asmall room and watching a 4 minute video. And we have to pay $50 per person to experience it! YAY! I hope Disney never has the gall to build a ride that forces you to upgrade your park ticket to enjoy it. I cannot even begin to describe how much this angers me. I think if we ever come again, I will just do a 2-day 1-park ticket, and skip the train ride.

Now - I don't want to leave the impression we hated it here. We had a good time. But IMO Universal is a step down from Disney. It's a step up from Sea World, and about 3 steps up from Legoland. But it's not Disney. We'll be coming back next year for 2 days to use our APs, but honestly I could see us not coming back for a long while after that. Disney's the winner for us.

For us, at this stage of our lives with a 13 y/o, Universal is more our style. Granted, during our Disney Days, I LOVED the vacation planning aspect. Our Disney Days were back when DH would be the "fast pass runner", so it's been a while since our last trip-2012, I think. Back then, DS was pretty much done with most of Disney. We're headed to Universal in a few months for vacation, and I am really loving that I don't have to be so intense with the planning aspect. The only downside that I can really see is that Dining options at Disney kind of blow US/IOA out of the water....

OK. We just spent some or all of the last 4 days at Universal for the first time in 17 years. We had a 13 year old (DD), a 47 and 49 year old (DW and myself) and a 70 year old (DMIL). Now, I can't quite compare apples to apples, as we normally stay on site for Disney, and this was a case where we stayed off-site, so I will try to avoid comparing that aspect of the trip. (Though - I would generally say that staying off-site for Universal was not really a problem at all. The biggest issue was the walk to the front of the park. While DMIL walks very well, the 1/2 mile trek from the parking garage, forcing you through Citywalk, seemed a bit much. However, the security system and the moving sidewalks and everything were very nicely done.)

However, Disney won with everyone in our party hands-down. And here's why:

1) The music. This never occurred to me before the trip, but Disney literally has 100s of songs that are part of all of our upbringing, not even me and wife and DD, but even DMIL. They play everywhere in Disney, and you constantly find yourself humming them. Universal literally has none. Not one. I mean, we tried to come up with some...and we hummed the Harry Potter theme, and the Jurassic Park theme, and the Jaws theme, and then...that was it. Music to me is such a huge part of the Disney experience and I missed it.

2) The rides. There are some absolutely amazing rides at Universal. The Harry Potter rides (especially Forbidden Journey) are stunning. The new Kong attraction was great fun. Spiderman still amazes after 20 years. The coasters are fantastic. That said - our DD is 13 years old, and while i know she is not the norm, but she is still afraid of loud scary rides. I had avoided Universal for so long because of this. Well, turns out Dad was right. She rodes MANY of the rides (Refused to ride The Mummy / Kong / or any of the coasters, but rode everything else.) but for the most part kept her eyes closed the entire rides. We had to tell her what happened on Forbidden Journey because she couldn't keep her eyes open. My wife also closed her eyes a lot. DMIL of course didn't ride much of anything. In fact, I am probably the only one in our party that enjoyed all the rides. (I kept asking DD if there was anything she wanted to ride more than once, there wasn't ONE ride she wanted to re-ride.)

But that said - the rides individually are amazing, but on a whole, I am less than impressed. Every ride ASSAULTS you with sounds and with images,and with bumps and spins and tossing and jostling. Quite honestly, it got old. I now get the complaints about "yet another screen ride". The last day we rode Transformers, and again its wild and all, but it became as dull as watching a transformers movie. We had just had enough and were all glad our trip was ending.

3) Quality: The Harry Potter sections were amazing, but they just highlighted the overall sort of lack of quality in much of the rest of the parks. Lands like Toon Lagoon and Suess-land appeared faded and worn. Some other areas just looked cheap - the Marvel land and some parts of Universal Studios. And especially glaring - we were walking through the Marvel Land, we saw Captain America greeting, and then less than 100 feet later, they were doing the superhero show where they come out on ATVs - and there was Captain America again. My DD (who is old enough to grasp what the "characters" are) was the first to comment on it - "why is Captain America there when he's over there?". Bad, bad show Universal - I quite honestly think this is nearly the worst 'sin" that a theme park can do...I mean for us it didn't matter, but really? Overall, the team members in general rarely seemed to be "embraced with the theme". An example: We got butterbeer ice cream at Diagon Alley - when we asked to put nuts on it, the TM said "We aren't allowed to do that, it's Trademarked." Bad answer! Guest should be told something like: "The butterbeer ice cream is enchanted and can't be altered!" While the team members were all very good, I can think of other cases where they were not keeping to the "show".

4) Crowd control/size : It was pretty crowded on Tuesday, but the other two days not so bad, but holy moly - going into Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade was crazy, especially our first day. Lines for everything, people everywhere. I mean, this isn't Universals fault per se - more JK Rowling and her requirement for autheticity - but waiting in line to get into stores, and to get ice cream, and to go to the bathroom. The wand shop was almost unpleasant with the crowds in there. I don't know how to get around it, but the best aspects of the park were damaged by how many people were there to enjoy it.

However, I had forgotten how SMALL these parks actually are. Universal uses the confusing maze of streets layout to try and make it look sizeable, but from back to front of the park it's like a 5-minute walk. In the end, this should maybe be considered a plus because your feet don't get as tired, but it makes it so all the rides are right on top of eachother, and you really can't get immersed in the theme. IOA does a much better job of this for the most part, but there are still too many places where you can see one land too easily from the other. Especially glaring is the way you are standing Hogsmeade and you can look over and see the Jurassic Park gate. I'm a big theming guy - and to me that lack of space really hurts.

5) The "2-park pass conundrum" Maybe this just bothers me - but the way the essentially FORCE you to buy a hopper pass in order to fully enjoy the Harry Potter experience. Yes - I'm talking about the Hogwarts Express. In our case, we bought 3 APs for DW, DD and myself to take advantage of coming back next year. We waited 45 minutes for this ride - and it was barely worth it. I mean, I get the experience for a Harry Potter fan - but it's basically going in asmall room and watching a 4 minute video. And we have to pay $50 per person to experience it! YAY! I hope Disney never has the gall to build a ride that forces you to upgrade your park ticket to enjoy it. I cannot even begin to describe how much this angers me. I think if we ever come again, I will just do a 2-day 1-park ticket, and skip the train ride.

Now - I don't want to leave the impression we hated it here. We had a good time. But IMO Universal is a step down from Disney. It's a step up from Sea World, and about 3 steps up from Legoland. But it's not Disney. We'll be coming back next year for 2 days to use our APs, but honestly I could see us not coming back for a long while after that. Disney's the winner for us.
I could have written this had I taken the time to do so. So well articulated. I think you hit in every point I thought during my three day stay in January. We too have APs for upcoming trips within the year but after that we probably won't be back for some time. Again, we enjoyed our time and I'm thankful for my AP now more than ever with Disney's higher prices, but you hit the nail on the head several times over.

I got that trademark answer when I asked to put chocolate sauce on butter beer ice cream. I was like, give me the damn sauce and I'll do it then. Actually I just switched my order. But I was annoyed.

Universal was awesome, but my children could not ride every ride and there was one ride in IOA that I couldn't ride. In Disney I felt like 90% of the rides were family friendly. Many of the rides in Universal rely on CGI, loud noises, and shaking. That's just not my style. I also found the signage at Universal to be severely lacking. I walked past things more than once never realizing they were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter