Do you have Native American/Indigenous ancestry?

Do you have Native American/Indigenous ancestry?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 45 57.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Never looked into it

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I’m going to look into it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t know enough family history

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I was told so but found out it wasn’t true

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I have been told so but have not confirmed it

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I was surprised to find out I do

• I know very little

• Total voters
Yes. My paternal great-grandmother was Montagnaise (Innu) from eastern Quebec so I am 1/8th. My dad never met his grandmother and in fact, he learned about her tribal affiliations only when his cousin did extensive research while building their genealogy. It was a taboo subject in his family and his dad and uncles/aunts, never talked about their mom.

Based on my genealogy trees, the other 7/8th is French, with the first ones arriving in Quebec from France in the early 17th century. My last name is even a French town, Angers.

In the USA we say colonists.
I was born and raised in the USA and the phrase 'settlers' isn't unknown to me. I recall it being used as in the people who settled this area and colonists are the ones who come in and live there. The settlers arrive, and the colonists come in after them. At least that is what I recall from History class...and much like math I've never used that knowledge until now, 30 years later :lmao: Funny what you remember from school, and what you don't!

Yes, I have a "Certificate of Indian Blood", or CDIB, that was issued by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. I am a member of the Chickasaw Nation, my verifiable blood quantum is 1/16.

In the 1980's my paternal grandmother re-wrote the modern Chickasaw Nation constitution: https://www.chickasaw.tv/profiles/sally-chloe-grinslade-bell-profile

I participate in tribal events and art festivals (I am a potter) and I am very proud of my Chickasaw heritage, even in its small amount. I am more Cherokee than Chickasaw, but my Cherokee ancestors did not sign the Dawes Act therefore the BIA will not recognize that blood line.

Our Governor is an absolute rock star and has created countless programs to help the Chickasaw people. https://governor.chickasaw.net/

That is my dad shaking his hand in the photo, how freaking funny is that! I had no idea.

I haven't read through the whole thread so if it's already been answered, please forgive me.
I was under the impression that many of the tribes of North America didn't participate in DNA collection. Apparently it had something to do with mixing of the tribes and therefore DNA, as well as tribal members not always being of Indian blood. Meaning if someone mixed or even white/brown/black/whatever was brought into a tribe, they were a member regardless of bloodline. Being "made" a tribal member was as much a spiritual and technical membership as a blood line would be.
Anyway, that is how I understand the lack of DNA samples in the database.

I was born and raised in the USA and the phrase 'settlers' isn't unknown to me. I recall it being used as in the people who settled this area and colonists are the ones who come in and live there. The settlers arrive, and the colonists come in after them. At least that is what I recall from History class...and much like math I've never used that knowledge until now, 30 years later :lmao: Funny what you remember from school, and what you don't!
My institution and an Indigenous course I took recently used the term settler.

I'm on the Osage and Quapaw tribal rolls. My 23 and me testing came back with 13% Native American. The Quapaw tribe helps pay for my health insurance. I am familiar with our history and have family who are very active in the tribe but I live out of state so I don't participate much. I do keep up with the current events and vote in the tribal elections.

By the way, there are several circumstances in the 1600’s-1800’s of white people being adopted into Native American tribes who then married other white people. So some people may have relatives who were part of the Native American community but don’t have physical Native American DNA. I don’t know how that factors into registering with a tribe though.

Nope, 3 of my grandparents are first generation (from Ireland and Germany) the other was born in Scotland and came over as a child.

One tip while researching Indigenous records. Most Native Americans who chose to remain with American society (assimilation) adopted Anglo styled common names and surnames (ex. Smith). So if you have a rumored ancestor who was Native American, don’t immediately dismiss it based on an Anglo name.

For people who have the Indigenous ancestry confirmed, have you done specific research on that culture to try to understand it more?
DH has done a great deal of research. We live in a different state than the reservation but he has visited. He receives and faithfully reads the tribe newspaper and stays current on tribal politics and votes in elections.

He also has studied the language and can speak it a bit.

DH has done a great deal of research. We live in a different state than the reservation but he has visited. He receives and faithfully reads the tribe newspaper and stays current on tribal politics and votes in elections.

He also has studied the language and can speak it a bit.
I tried to see if I can learn some of the Lenni Lenape language but it’s very difficult. I do enjoy hearing some of their songs in their native language though (even if I don’t understand the words).

I tried to see if I can learn some of the Lenni Lenape language but it’s very difficult. I do enjoy hearing some of their songs in their native language though (even if I don’t understand the words).
DH seems to have a knack for learning languages. He’s a Cherokee citizen on his mom’s side. He’s French on his dad’s side. He is fluent in French. For the past several years he’s been learning Cherokee.

DH seems to have a knack for learning languages. He’s a Cherokee citizen on his mom’s side. He’s French on his dad’s side. He is fluent in French. For the past several years he’s been learning Cherokee.
I wish all the Indigenous languages had a translation dictionary. Or that google translate did.

I have Native North American heritage. My Mexican ancestors were all in the New Mexico area before it became a state. I've heard other people say....we didn't cross the border, the border crossed us. ;)

No Native American that I know off.

I'm a mixed mutt. Mostly around the Mediterranean area (Cyprus, Italy, Greece, Caucuses, ME, African (North and Senegal) and then Melanesian.

Wife: North Africa (Algeria) and France.

Son: The biggest mixed mutt.....

Yes. Great, great grandmother was full Creek Indian. There was a huge creek Indian settlement close to where my ancestors lived. Guess they inter married. My uncle owns some of the Creek land now. We have found the most interesting artifacts there.

But, ancestry.com says I have 0% native dna. Maybe it just went away over time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter