Disney's Swan and Dolphin and the Dining Plan

katoftheshire

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone!

My family and I are potentially planning a trip to Disney World for next year. Last time we were there we stayed at the Beach Club and loved the location and ease of access to Epcot. Unfortunately this time around we may not be able to afford The Beach Club and are looking over different options.

The Swan and Dolphin seems like a perfect choice (there will be no kids in our group) our only major concerns are the differences between the Swan and Dolphin and staying at an official Disney Resort (we're spoiled after getting to stay at a Disney resort lol!) mainly the lack of the dining plan.

I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts or advice on this if they've stayed at the Swan and Dolphin. Obviously, the dining plan is a bit more cost efficient when staying at a Disney resort but if you stayed at the Swan and Dolphin, did you spend noticeably more money on food?

Many thanks to anyone that can offer their thoughts!

I've done offsite trips (and to date all my onsite trips are dining plan free). What you could do, if you like the prepaid aspect of the plan is put the same amount of money on Disney gift cards or open a checking account that is just for your food expenses if you don't want to end up with that much money tied to Disney.

I don't think I spend more money on food without the dining plan...

I've done offsite trips (and to date all my onsite trips are dining plan free). What you could do, if you like the prepaid aspect of the plan is put the same amount of money on Disney gift cards or open a checking account that is just for your food expenses if you don't want to end up with that much money tied to Disney.

I don't think I spend more money on food without the dining plan...
Oh okay! Thanks! That's a good idea!

Following. We are going next spring and likely
staying at Swan. We’ve only ever stayed onsite. I was also wondering about this.

I have checked the 'economy' of the dining plan for us on many trips. We always spend less when paying OOP rather than the dining plan. We also waste food when on the dining plan. as it is too much for us. The temptation is to eat too much because its paid for or because you need to get your money's worth. I really don't get the appeal. And we frequently eat at character meals and signatures when paying OOP. We eat where we want and still come out ahead paying OOP. However, to be fair, we are an elderly couple, don't drink much sugary drinks or alcohol and just don't eat as much as some younger, more energetic folks, I guess.

I am a huge fan of the Swan and Dolphin so we stay here for part of many of our trips. The beds are more comfortable here than anything that I have experienced at WDW even in GF RPC. The service is great, the dining options excellent, the pool is beautiful and the location perfect. It feels as 'Disney' to me as any Disney owned resort, especially as Disney seems to be reducing the theming in its refurbished resort rooms.

But buyer beware:
Staying at the Swan/Dolphin can be less than staying at the YC/BC or BWI but these days it's not always true, so check all resort prices and discounts before you book - and even continue to check afterwards as discounts seem to change frequently at the Swan/Dolphin. The deals at the Swan/Dolphin are often better, but not always and prices are not as much less these days as they once were (prior to Bonvoy.) The new parking fees at Disney has put that on a more or less even playing field, but the Swan/Dolphin still has the daily resort fee to add on to the cost.

Oh, don't forget that you get a AAA discount at the restaurants in the Swan/Dolphin!

If you choose to stay at the Swan or Dolphin, I hope that you have a wonderful time there!

So checking the room prices and wondering why the Swan prices seem to be appreciably more than Dolphin prices in March, like 30% more. I suppose because swan is closer to pools and exit to Boardwalk and walkway/transport to Epcot and HS?

So checking the room prices and wondering why the Swan prices seem to be appreciably more than Dolphin prices in March, like 30% more. I suppose because swan is closer to pools and exit to Boardwalk and walkway/transport to Epcot and HS?

What are the details of what you are comparing? Does swan have bigger rooms and bigger beds?

@Deploraboo they are generally a bit higher, but each does depend on their own occupancy levels. Swan could have a higher occupancy or conference while the Dolphin may not. Prices when I booked our Feb 2020 trip were at their peak, so we opted to stay at POFQ, but I've been looking at staying one night at either S/D before our nights at POFQ, right now Dolphin is $198 and Swan $249 which is a typical percentage variance in the two resorts.

@Best Aunt The Swan has Queen beds while the Dolphin has Doubles, the Swan has two sinks while the Dolphin has one.
Dolphin-Swan Rooms.png

Thanks. So we’re doing Dolphin fireworks view and with the resort fee runs about 350 a night in March. Still relative value to the DW “deluxes”, all things considered.

Just switched my last day/ added a day at Dolphin. I was looking to switch our last two days, Weds & Thurs but Weds was 380 a night while Thurs and Friday were 150 each. Strange. So I added a day and will be at PoP Weds then Dolphin Thurs & Fri.

I have never stayed at Dolphin before, will POP transfer our luggage??
And I’m guessing there is no room ready text? We plan on checking out of POP and going to Epcot till Dolphin check in. Are the rooms usually ready earlier than 4?

also transferring. in our case from Wild Lodge. Understanding from my research that yes they would transfer luggage but am going to confirm with the hotel.

On the text issue, suggest you download the Marriott Bonvoy app and accept push notifications.

We just returned from combined stay at both Swan and Wilderness Lodge. We found it was more expensive to dine at the Swan. I would also warn that two restaurants charged us 18% gratuity even though we were party of 2 AFTER the initial charge. The first time I caught gratuity being added when offered coupon for meal. The second time, the gratis was added after we left the restaurant.

I stayed at the dolphin for 2 nights in april and then switched to caribbean for 5 nights and they transferred my bags . i just drop them right next to check in area then picked them up at caribbean later in the day . I then switched from caribbean to AOA they used the same style tags . so im guessing you can transfer luggage from disney hotel to dolphin /swan

We did the dining plan once several years ago. It was fun to try once, but it was just too much food for us. We tend to eat more counter service restaurants, as we are not big on planning out all of our meals with ADR's ahead of time. We save a lot of money on food by paying OOP. I would agree with the recommendation of taking the money you were going to use for the dining plan and getting a disney gift card. Then, at the end of the trip, you can easily see how much you saved (as long as you only use that gift card for food, that is). :)

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter