Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who gets so overhwelmed with the to-do list to prep for vacation! getting info together for the dog sitters, remembering to pay all my bills before we go (we are staying for 5 days at anna maria island before disney so the total trip length is very long), i am pretty sure at least two of our prescriptions will need to be refilled for the trip but that the insurance company will say it is too soon to fill them, etc. plus the first leg of our trip is just myself and the kids, dh is joining us when we get to disney, so i am worried about the rental car, navigating, etc. and of course, the packing. it was actually much easier when my kids were too young to pack themselves. now they want to pack but i have to "edit" which rarely ends well!
Get a GPS! I'd be lost without my Garmin. Most smartphones have GPS too, but for me using it outside Canada is huge data roaming. So I bring my portable GPS.

I bring it just in case. It's probably not needed but I was told to bring it when I flew and DD was 2. They didn't ask for it but I still bring it just in case.
I had to bring my grandkiddos birth certificates and a letter from the parents to take them until they were 14 because their last names were different from mine. At that time they had their own IDs' so it became easier.

Get a GPS! I'd be lost without my Garmin. Most smartphones have GPS too, but for me using it outside Canada is huge data roaming. So I bring my portable GPS.

I agree that they are a huge help, Sue! I have one on my phone and will be using it. I meant "navigating" also in the sense of just being unfamiliar with the lay of the land; in Disney I just automatically know where everything is and how to get there, I know which restaurants are my faves, which gift shops have which types of merch, how far I am at any given moment from a quick service restaurant, etc. The familiarity puts me at ease. I don't like needing to use the GPS. It's just a little more stressful to be finding places with two distracting teens in the car and no other set of adult eyes to help. And they ALWAYS seem to blurt something out loudly just as I am trying to hear the next set of instructions!

I gave a specific room request/longhouse through my TA but I wonder...is it still worth it to do online check in so I get the text that my room is ready? I can skip the actual room request in the online check in so as not to confuse the room assigner. Am I better off just doing regular check in, in case I'm unhappy with my location? Thanks!

I agree that they are a huge help, Sue! I have one on my phone and will be using it. I meant "navigating" also in the sense of just being unfamiliar with the lay of the land; in Disney I just automatically know where everything is and how to get there, I know which restaurants are my faves, which gift shops have which types of merch, how far I am at any given moment from a quick service restaurant, etc. The familiarity puts me at ease. I don't like needing to use the GPS. It's just a little more stressful to be finding places with two distracting teens in the car and no other set of adult eyes to help. And they ALWAYS seem to blurt something out loudly just as I am trying to hear the next set of instructions!
Haha that's always the way! Good thing you get a visual too! I make someone sit in front with me and make them the co pilot! Last time I was in St Pete Beach I found a great Italian place by asking a couple of local ladies that were near me on the beach! I'm sure you'll be fine and have a blast!!
Frantically packing today and charging up electronics!

The deck area only seats xxx number and the management has clearly chosen to squeeze in as many loungers as possible. Then there is that little rehab of the area whereby all of the lovely foliage and trees (which provided shade) were removed along with the scant few poolside tables that did exist previously. I sure hope when the east pool is complete, the Tiki Huts and mature foliage return with it. :confused3

Were told they would be squeezing in more lounge chairs.

It really does happen! Last year, we spent 2 hours, going through construction, trying to find the pharmacy to which my pharmacy had sent my medication. They had mistakenly left it out of the bag the night before wheni picked up my scripts. It was a necessary medication and I discovered it enroute to Disney! Thank God I found it though before we left Canada!
Wow....Crazy! I do the list thing and check and double check and cross off.

I gave a specific room request/longhouse through my TA but I wonder...is it still worth it to do online check in so I get the text that my room is ready? I can skip the actual room request in the online check in so as not to confuse the room assigner. Am I better off just doing regular check in, in case I'm unhappy with my location? Thanks!
I have the same question. Does anyone know?

Sounds like a great lineup!!

You can get it to go at Kona Cafe. Kona Island sells the Kona Blend, it's not 100% Kona and not press pot.

Yes!

You can get a press pot of 100% Kona at Kona Island Coffee bar. Its about $8 and makes two large cups. You can't order half a pot. They also sell Kona blend and 100% Kona beans (ground or whole bean) in bags for about $45

You can get a press pot of 100% Kona at Kona Island Coffee bar. Its about $8 and makes two large cups. You can't order half a pot. They also sell Kona blend and 100% Kona beans (ground or whole bean) in bags for about $45

Talk to me about press pot coffee, is it something that my younger daughter and I should experience? Is it stronger than regular Keureg coffee? She is a coffee nut, and I think that the press pot would appeal to her (college kid)

So happy they improved the offerings at Kona Island! I could bring one cup back to room fridge to save for ice coffee later! May have to pick up a bag to take home! Yum!

Hi Tikiman! I love your website and FB page!! I don't post much, but always follow along :) I don't have a coffee question, but I wanted to quote you instead of just asking you out of the blue after I saw you were posting. I saw you were just at the Poly CL. In your opinion, which would be better to request given the construction views (we've GC CL)- ground level or third floor (typically I want outdoor space, so I never want the second floor and figured I would feel the same even with the construction views even if we might not use it as much). Would either end of the building (lounge end or far end) make any real difference in distance from the construction or the view? I need to send my requests to IPO today, I've been debating both internally and on here for weeks now :rotfl2:

if anyone else wants to answer - please share away. I certainly didn't mean it can only be tikiman :goodvibes It's just I've asked before and got answers from some of the regular posters already so I don't want to be a bother :D I'm just still undecided :P

Talk to me about press pot coffee, is it something that my younger daughter and I should experience? Is it stronger than regular Keureg coffee? She is a coffee nut, and I think that the press pot would appeal to her (college kid)

It really is the best way to brew coffee. I even do it that way at home. 100% Kona is just so much smoother to me than any other coffee. Not harsh tasting. I got it a few times this trip and I have been getting it at the Island for a few trips now. It is easier than having to sit down in Kona Café. I purchased the beans last trip and they are great but I found Costco has better Kona beans.

I have the same question. Does anyone know?
I have longhouse request and floor put in thru my TA. When I did online check in I ticked off the same requests.
Living outside the U.S. I won't get text, but I hope to get an email.

So happy they improved the offerings at Kona Island! I could bring one cup back to room fridge to save for ice coffee later! May have to pick up a bag to take home! Yum!

I got this for my DH in Sept 2012, so they've been selling the 100% pressed pot for at least that long, unless it went away in the middle. It was 2 cups and around a 10 min wait then also, I walked over every AM with my DS to get my DH the "good coffee" instead of the nescafe stuff they had then. Usually I just brought back the blend, but once I waited for the 100% and got him the 2 cups at one (I don't drink coffee).

It really is the best way to brew coffee. I even do it that way at home. 100% Kona is just so much smoother to me than any other coffee. Not harsh tasting. I got it a few times this trip and I have been getting it at the Island for a few trips now. It is easier than having to sit down in Kona Café. I purchased the beans last trip and they are great but I found Costco has better Kona beans.
Really? Costco? I know the Costco in Kona carries it. But had no idea Costco outside of Hawaii does. They don't here in Canada. I'll have to check the Florida Costco in Lauderdale! Maybe on the way to that Tiki Bar :-)
Leaving tomorrow!!! Yikes!

I got this for my DH in Sept 2012, so they've been selling the 100% pressed pot for at least that long, unless it went away in the middle. It was 2 cups and around a 10 min wait then also, I walked over every AM with my DS to get my DH the "good coffee" instead of the nescafe stuff they had then. Usually I just brought back the blend, but once I waited for the 100% and got him the 2 cups at one (I don't drink coffee).
That explains it! My last stay at Poly was 2010! And all Kona Island sold was the Kona Blend. I couldn't stand the Nescafé.

That explains it! My last stay at Poly was 2010! And all Kona Island sold was the Kona Blend. I couldn't stand the Nescafé.

Maybe it was new then, I just stumbled on it one morning when talking to the CM working Kona Island. I will definitely have to check Costco for my DH, he orders it from Hawaii and if it's as good I assume Costco would be a lot cheaper!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter