Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort Frequently Asked Questions (slight update 5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dandave, I just checked Disney's website and found the following -- click here:

- - - - - - -
Guest Rooms:
Deluxe - One Queen Bed, One Bunk Bed & One Day Bed:

These rooms feature one queen-size bed, a bunk bed and a day bed, table and chairs, ceiling fan, bathroom with private commode, and data port on phone. Rooms also feature private balcony with a standard, savannah or pool view. Non-smoking rooms and rooms for Guests with disabilities are available.

Amenities include in-room safe, voice mail, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and 27" television. Coffeemaker and refrigerator available upon request.
- - - - - - -

And this:

- - - - - - -

Guest Rooms:
Deluxe - Two Queen Beds:

These rooms feature two queen-sized beds, table and chairs, ceiling fan, bathroom with private commode, and data port on phone. Rooms also feature private balcony with a standard, savannah or pool view. Non-smoking rooms and rooms for Guests with disabilities are available.

Amenities include in-room safe, voice mail, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and 27" television. Coffeemaker and refrigerator available upon request.
- - - - - - -

- - - - - - -
Guest Rooms:
Deluxe - One King Bed & One Day Bed:

These rooms feature one king-size bed and a day bed, table and chairs, ceiling fan, bathroom with private commode, and data port on phone. Rooms also feature private balcony with a standard, savannah or pool view. Non-smoking rooms and rooms for Guests with disabilities are available.

- - - - - - -

Thank you so much to all who have initiated and added to this great FAQ thread. DD and I will be there 12/15 and I've had just about all of my questions answered (including the smoking policy - I'm a smoker but I don't like to inconvenience anyone else and it's great to have advance info).

DD was excited before but now is jumping with excitement about being able to speak to a CM about her favourite Thompsons Gazelles! And she can't wait for the storytelling!

Thanks again

Diane and Nicole
(TartanFan and DuckTailFan)

TartanFan, when you come back from your AKL vacation, we'll be expecting you to post some info in here, so get out your sleuthing hat and put it on and find us some good info on the AKL that no one else has discovered yet!

Janet2K

I'll do my best (intend to spend as much time at AKL as possible!) but have to say you all are a hard act to follow!!!!!!

Look for the trip report around Christmas time.

Happy Thanksgiving to all in the US from us here in UK

:earsgirl: :wave:

I had 2 questions about ALK. I read on another site that if you stay concierge you cannot request a view. Is this true? My husband definitely wants a savannah view room.

Also, I was curious if you requested a coffemaker, do you have to bring your own coffee, cream, etc or do they supply it, or can we purchase it from them? I saw that this question was asked above but I didn't see the answer. Thanks, Nasi

Nasi

1) With staying with concierge savanna view is not guaranteed. You can request it within your reservation (put that request as #1 request within your reservation). I have heard that most of the rooms at concierge are good savanna rooms. Plus the concierge people always try to get the rooms their guest really wants.

Sorry I cannot answer #2.

Here is a link to an article on the AKL: http://aaaworld.com/pages/archive/JA01DISNEYAKL.html

Please take the time to read that article, it is wonderful. Kate Muhl, who wrote it, had the same experience at the AKL that I had. And that most of you who have visited the resort have also had. It was like going home again when I read it. I can't wait for my return visit.

I just read the cover story from the May 2001 issue of “Southeast Construction” (found here: click here) regarding the AKL’s construction. It was an interesting article and I learned a few things. For instance, did you know any of the following tidbits of information?

- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -
The exterior contains virtually no wood. Crews used Cemplank and Hardy Board products, fiberglass reinforced plastic columns, and concrete prepared to look like wood. Fixtures and components arrived from all over the world.

“We want it to look like a large organic structure," said Hale. "Typically you would go with wood and thatch and use all the natural materials you would find in the wilds of Africa. But the developer/owner that we are, we want to keep our projects around for a long, long time and intend to maintain them ourselves. We were challenged to go with synthetic material wherever possible."

Imagineers, with input from the general contractor and roofing subcontractor C & H Contracting Professionals, Lake City, developed a synthetic product to use in decorating the roof that replicates a reed thatch. The team fire- and wind-tested the material before using it.
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -

Believe it or not, I actually knew about the synthetic thatching that was mentioned above (I think it was my favorite AKL concierge Cast Member Don who first told me about it). Here are two pictures of the synthetic thatching that covered my balcony:
Thatching Photo #1
Thatching Photo #2

Another part of the article that I found interesting was this:

- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -
"We started with what you normally do at the end and we did that first," said Rob Hale, senior construction manager for Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI). For example, landscaping was planned and initiated almost two years prior to project completion. Building exteriors received attention before interiors to give animals time to become accustomed to their new home. Also, pressure-treated wood, paints and other materials had to be animal friendly and meet United States Department of Agriculture standards.
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -

And the following tidbit struck me funny because they basically had to treat the construction site as if it were a downtown building location that didn’t give them much room to move around in (remember, the AKL has a lot of fairly empty space – the three savannahs cover approximately 33 acres of land):

- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -
Crews paved a drive lane around the main building and erected a temporary fence to separate people from the exotic animals. The barriers limited space adjacent to the structure, creating a site more like a downtown location than an undeveloped area.
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -

If you get a chance, please read the article.

Thank you so much! I prefer to e-mail so I don't catch them when they're busy with someone.

You are very welcome!! I hope you have a wonderful stay! I cannot express how much I enjoyed my visit there. :)

When booking a standard room at AKL keep in mind that there are standard view rooms that face the pathway that leads from the bus stop to the main entrance of the resort. These rooms are literally 3 feet from the pathway and this pathway is very busy since it is the only bus stop at the resort. If you had one of these standard rooms on the first floor you would not even be able to open you curtains because everyone could look right into your room--that is how close they are to the pathway. The rooms on the higher floors would not be as easy for people to see into but I am sure they would be still be very noisey due to the heavy traffic on the pathway of people going to the bus stop, lobby, restaurants, etc. We were shocked when we saw the location of these rooms during our July trip. If you are booking a standard room at AKL make sure to request a room that is not facing the front pathway/entrance way into the resort.

Does anyone know the room layouts for the AKL suites? I'm considering switching from BC concierge to a 1 or 2 bedroom suite at AKL for our next trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter